The Best and Worst Werewolf Transformations

Summary

Benicio Del Toro's 'The Wolfman' might be getting mauled by critics baying for blood on a full moon, but there's one thing we're pretty sure everyone can get behind: the return of make-up master Rick Baker, the man whose iconic work on 'An American Werewolf in London' set the standard for man-wolf transformation -- and one that's arguably yet to be surpassed. As the new film shows, CGI morphing can't quiteo replicate the physical aspects of a prosthetic shapeshift -- pounds of make-up looks like it hurts, dammit, which is what you'd imagine becoming a wolf would feel like. So to honour Rick -- and indulge our primal love of watching men become savage beasts -- here are our picks for the best and worst werewolf transformations in movies. Sparklepooch included. Back to Article

Comments

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

Gary Oldman for Prisoner of Azkaban... i think it's the first physically fit werewolf i've ever seen... but maybe it's because i havent seen alot of Werewolf movies.

anyways i'm bias because i'm a big Alfonso Cuaron fan

Feb 13 - 06:00 AM

elaine c.

elaine carinci

dude... Gary Oldman (as Sirius Black) turns into a DOG! ...sirius=greek for scorching, Sirius is the common name of the brightest star, "Alpha Canis Majoris", also known as the Dog Star, cani=latin for dog. Actor David Thewlis (as Professor Lupen) turns into a werewolf... lupus=latin for wolf.

I'm just sayin...

Mar 12 - 03:23 PM

TobiasFunke

Ryan Kuck

I just have to agree with what a few others said.

TRICK R TREAT should have been included. Definitely, the sexiest mass werewolf transformation scene ever!

Dog Soldiers is the best werewolf movie I've ever seen!

And I think that the scene in Fright Night deserves mention as well. I do realize, though, that it's a transformation back into Evil, the man, so maybe that's why it doesn't count.

Great list, regardless!

Feb 13 - 07:44 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

MICHAEL ADAMS and LUKE GOODSELL . . .
excellent work fellas!!!!!!!!
IN THE COMPANY OF WOLVES and HOWLING III, I HAVE TO SEE

OOPS!!!! You didn't mention THE LEGENDARY PAUL NASHCY "EL HOMBRE LOBO" (his autobiography is entitled DIARY OF A WOLFMAN).

Discussing WEREWOLVES and "WOLFMANS" in cinema without mentioning PAUL NASCHY is like committing a SIN . . . totally.
(its messed-up not mentioning PAUL NASCHY though/
yes; its feels like a sin has been committed because werewolves were discussed without PAUL NASCHY'S name being mentioned. )

But that you even bothered to do a feature on Werewolf transformations in film is WONDERFUL in and of itself!!!!!

Feb 13 - 09:06 AM

Smartest Person Here

Greg Bonnette

The Howling is the best transformation here. Easily the scariest, with the room being dark and the lady being there. I remember it from years ago and it still works today. My man, Rob Bottin, again.

Feb 13 - 09:19 AM

Julian S.

Julian Soto

Hey, I hate twilight as much as next guy. But, to be fair, I have to tell you that the twilight "werewolves" aren't really werewolve. They're shape shifters. Which means that they're people who turn into big wolves. As opposed to werewolves,who are people who turn into half wolf half human monsters.
I can't believe I just defended twilight. I hate my life.
P.S. My sister dragged my to that stupid movie. I did not go by choice!
But,at leat there were some atractive girls in/at the movie.

Feb 13 - 09:54 AM

Glenn W.

Glenn Welsh

yeah, leaving Trick 'r Treat off the list is truly disappointing. sexy scene, great use of practical effects accented with CG. just because the movie (unjustly) never received a theatrical run, that doesn't mean it deserves to be ignored.

Feb 13 - 10:02 AM

Hakan C.

Hakan Caba

Wolf (1994) -> Jack Nicholson is like already wolfman. He doesn't need werewolf transformations :)

Feb 13 - 10:17 AM

RottenB

Ben Jones

This is a fun list. I enjoyed watching all the clips.

Feb 13 - 10:25 AM

MADDAZ

Darren Anderson

Why the hell are people wanting Harry Potters werewolf on this list, it was all cgi and to be honest was no better than the Van Helsing werewolf. An American Werewolf in London set the benchmark with its transformation, no cgi just pure hard work went into that scene.

Feb 13 - 01:36 PM

Holly H.

Holly Huffstutler

The transformations in "Werewolf" were the worst, I'd say.

Feb 13 - 01:47 PM

-mango-

S M

If anyone ever saw Christian Slater on SNL back in the early 90's, they will know that it had THE best werewolf transformation ever.

Feb 13 - 04:26 PM

blair k.

blair knight

what does that even mean?

Mar 19 - 08:50 AM

Brian M.

Brian Muldoon

Silver Bullet was a great film by a great story teller.truly the "Big Mac and fries" of American Literature. The small-town based story was excellent and pulled me back in time to my own upbringing. Sure it lacked the shock value of many other films but it had a great child-based story, like "Lady in White". Today horror films truly are horrible...all about blood, guts mutations etc for a generation of kids who have witnessed no little in thier own world...except of course the vets of Iraq and Afghanistan. I saw little myself in Vietnam but a little goes a long way. The guys like my Dad and Uncles who walked the streets at night after Europe and the Pacific...real horror never leaves you. Sorry for the soapbox but I hate these new so-called scary movies.

Feb 13 - 04:39 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I'm with Brian M on this one, I remember the twist in Silver Bullet really getting me when I was a kid.

Feb 13 - 05:20 PM

Colin.Response

Colin Ottinger

(P.S Couldn't find a regular clip of the movie, but here's one with some glorious MST3k commentary)

"Hello, Dolly. It's Louis, Dolly"

Feb 13 - 05:13 PM

Kevin E.

Kevin Eurich

"Great list, although I was a little disappointed you didn't mention the most notorious of werewolf movies, the eponymous "Werewolf" by D movie auteur Tony Zarindast. This could actually be the best or worst transformation in screen history as this security guard turns into a werewolf suspiciouly resembling Louis Armstrong.

You are right that this should have been under worst but maybe people aren't aware of it enough.

"Hello, Dolly. It's Louis, Dolly"

Feb 15 - 06:58 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

For transformations ya gotta go with American Werewolf in London and Fright Night 2. For actual Werewolves in motion Dog Soldiers(Less was definately more in that movie) or the old FOX show Werewolf(The one with Chuck Connors, the rifleman, as the bad guy) which was awesome. Harry Potter sucked, Lupin looks like Gollum on steroids, one of the few weakpoints in that film and the Twilight "werewolves" weren't actually werewolves, they're shapeshifters.

Feb 13 - 05:19 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Feb 13 - 05:20 PM

Azrael

Jake Benedict

What the hell man? Silver bullet rules! Damn the haters!!!

Feb 13 - 06:20 PM

LouAnn C.

LouAnn Caron

You're joking. That was so awful it was painful. It looked like something from a Scooby-Doo movie. I guess Cuaron spent too much on Buckbeak and there was nothing left for poor Prof. Lupin's werewolf scene.

Feb 13 - 06:32 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Just got back from seeing The Wolfman and have to say it easily belongs on this list, the transformations were very cool.

Feb 13 - 07:12 PM

Amardeep i.

amardeep lakra

Prisoner of Azkaban and Trick r Treat is missing.

Feb 13 - 08:35 PM

MADDAZ

Darren Anderson

Prisoner of Azkaban was a crappy transformation, all cgi and fake looking. I agree with Trick r Treat's werewolf, should be on this list. Looking forward to seeing Wolfman, have only heard good things so far.

Feb 13 - 09:12 PM

bingo007

navaneetharan kamaraj

who says prisoner of azkaban looked fake.saw a couple of clips from wolfman and the transformation isnt half as good as POA.

Feb 19 - 03:37 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

"A crappy,non-creepy, CGI wolf!"

But oh so cuddley. You can practically hear the 14-year-old girls in the audience:

"aaaaawwwwwwwww....."

Feb 13 - 08:59 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank