97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Reviews

John M

September 15, 2009
Cute movie. As usual my daughter loved it and I just enjoyed the ride.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

August 26, 2014
A hapless inventor develops a machine that makes food rain from the sky, rejuvenating his hometown's formerly sardine-based economy; things predictably get out of control. Luscious showers of cheeseburgers and avalanches of pizza, with a drizzle of smart, funny writing and a side of Mr. T as an overzealous cop make this a smorgasbord of entertainment.
Stuart B

October 6, 2009
has its moments, but not enough to make this stand out
KJ P

January 14, 2010
"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" is as clever as they come. As an aspiring scientist, Flint Lockwood creates a machine that converts water into food and as soon as it gets out of control is creates chaos around the town and food storms form. The jokes are non-stop and every single one hits the mark perfectly, and the voice cast is fantastic. I may be putting this film on a pedestal, but it's one of my favourite animation films out there. The visuals are vibrant and beautiful and the creators have really created a movie to remember. The script is one of the more clever animated scripts to have come out in a long time. This film is terrific!
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

August 25, 2013
This film was better than expected. The majority of the film's humor is food themed and is rather funny as they are very easy to catch on to. With some nice characters, I feel that the incredible voice cast of Bill Hader (Tropic Thunder), Anna Faris (Scary Movie), Mr T (The A Team) and my personal favorite, Bruce Campbell (The Evil Dead Trilogy) more than successfully added greater quality to these characters. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs also features an emotional theme of the development of the relationship between father and son; which to me, is rather significant as its a nice reminder of how "fathers always try to express their love and compassion for their sons". This film is a colorful, unique feature that is worth a try for its food like humor and wondrous voice cast. Overall, this is close to a very 'well done' meal that is likely to satisfy its customers.
skactopus
skactopus

September 8, 2013
Directing. That's what Chris Miller and Phil Lord do with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.Storytelling. It is straightforward and easy to follow. The 80 minute run time sounds brief, but when all is said and done, it is appropriate for what transpires.Laughing. The humor is effective and spot on when executed. There is some disappointment that there isn't more to be had, but it has to take a break to get the story across.Watching. The CG is passable and the characters fit the childish style atmosphere. The food isn't sizzling, but the large quantities is enough to trigger some hunger.Listening. Bill Hader and Anna Faris successfully voice their respective characters. Mr. T, Andy Samberg, and Bruce Campbell, fill out the supporting cast.Concluding. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is a little light around the edges; however, a better than average animation it is. "When it rains, put on a coat."
Sam B

March 30, 2011
One of my absolute favorite animated movies of all time. Actually, one of my favorite movies of all time, period. The comedic timing Chris Miller and Phil Lord have managed, both in the actor's performances and in the animation, make this an absolute masterpiece, and it also happens to be insanely funny, sweet, and clever, all at the same time.
Jens S

August 31, 2009
This nicely animated adventure about a scientist who's inventing a machine that causes precipitation in form of food may be a thrill ride for kids. As an adult, I have to say, the premise was a tad disgusting. Maybe I was over analyzing but the thought of steaks raining down into restaurants and streets was not only wrong but also a bit yucky. That being said, kids certainly don't mind that, and there is a lot of fun to have with this film. The characters are fun and likable, especially the monkey Steve is hilarious. The animation is really pretty and you can tell that several shots were made for the 3D experience. You also gotta give the film credit that you've never seen a sequence before in which a man wears a chicken and jumps out of a food cloud. Entertaining stuff, kids should have a blast.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 4, 2011
With all of blue sky's animations it is brilliant in terms of animation but I think Cloudy over does the slapstick and doesn't redeem itself. It is instantly forgettable and even for an animated film it is downright stupid.
Anthony L

October 13, 2011
All animation has the licence to be silly, go crazy and go beyond the realms of reality but not for a long time have I seen an animated film do it so well, nor have I seen animation as good. It is of course very silly but it's very knowingly so. Any cliche that might be present is fairly unnoticeable and certainly doesn't spoil the fun. I mean, it's got Bruce Campbell and Mr. T in it, what's not to like. Don't watch it while dieting though, it did make me peckish.
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

September 16, 2011
A lot of the jokes were pushed too hard and very aggressive to get us to laugh. I didn't find them all that funny, all though this take on a classic story was done beautifully. Very colorful and exciting to watch.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 27, 2011
It was clever and funny, but adults will probably not enjoy it. The plot is mainly aimed for kids and nothing else. The voice acting was very good, I enjoyed them all. The animation was interesting, and I hope thats what they were trying to do, ecause if not the animation sucked. Overall you might like this film, because I did.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

March 27, 2010
Zingy and well-flavored, this culinary chaos of a movie is a vibrant sensation that'll satisfy the most picky of palates. Be sure though there's a fridge nearby when you do decide to see it, because if you weren't hungry before, I can promise you will be afterwards. Universally funny, it wasn't at all the second-rate, aimed-for-kids-only animation feature I thought it would be. Sure, it may not be in the same visual league as Pixar and Dreamworks, but it's certainly on the same level when it comes to the entertainment value. Bonus points for having Mr. T in the voice cast, that really put the icing on the cake. I pity the fool who dismisses this as skippable, because I for one had a deliciously good time.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

May 21, 2011
In celebration of the apocalypse, I will review "Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs". An animated disaster movie thats literally fun for the whole family!

Set in a seaside town known as Swallow Falls, Flint Lockwood creates a machine that will turn water into food to save the starving citizens. After the machine flys away into a rain cloud, it activates and food begins to rain like crazy. But it becomes a fight for survival as the portions get bigger and BIGGER. Can you spell "worldwide epidemic"?

This was a pleasant surprise of a film. It wasn't much of a breath of fresh air but it was so fun. The characters are funny and the animation is stylish. It has a bit of a retro look which I am find of.

Bill Hader, Anna Faris, Mr. T, Bruce Campbell, Andy Samberg, and many others do wonderful and hilarious vocal work. The dialogue is silly and funny and the story was great. Though it is loosely based on a book and dosen't really follow the plot of that book, it stays true to the illustrations. Great movie overall.

"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" is a delicious film! Well so long, folks! The world has come to an end. Farewell. A big comet is on the way and I must wrap up. I will miss you all.

"What's an imooze boosh?"

P.S. The world is not ending. It was a major hoax.
movieguru12
movieguru12

September 16, 2009
An amazing and adorable movie. It's was funny, insightful & had romance as well. Just a great animated film that I love along with the Toy Story, Shrek, Tangled, Megamind & many others. I just love it & you will too :)
michael e.
michael e.

December 16, 2010
it had a few funny moments, but overall it was a really stupid adaption from the classic children's novel
deano
deano

July 8, 2009
Surprisingly imaginative, original and very funny. Unlike most Dreamworks animations, the characters are fully developed and rounded without the need for countless A-list celebrity voice-overs. The screenplay is similarly outstanding in terms of humour with countless laugh-out-loud moments that will appeal to both adults and children alike.
We have the classic nerd, Flint Lockwood, a lovable and goofy character who embodies the wannabe coolness and social awkwardness and desperation of every social outcast. He's almost painful to watch, but I think it's what makes him so likable - you feel sorry for him.
It was creative, extremely fun, and paid reference to everything from Independence Day to The Twilight Zone.
Aaron N

September 26, 2009
Joe Towne: These taste significantly better than sardines.

Initial Note: This movie is truly hilarious. Second viewing was amazing, and this will probably be way to underrated.

A highly entertaining animated feature. Despite having a marketing campaign that really undersold me on the film, this movie turned out to be hilarious, as well as very good looking, working well as a 3D animated feature.

Based on a children's book of the same title, the story is about a man who has always wanted to invent something that would change the world. This man is Flint Lockwood, voiced by Bill Hader, and after a series of unsuccessful inventions, he develops a machine that will take in water and turn it into food.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Flint lives on a small island in the Atlantic ocean where sardines uses to be the only export until it was revealed that sardines don't taste very good. Now the town is sort of in a state of shambles, with the mayor, voiced by Bruce Campbell, hoping to find a way to get his town back on the map.

During the launch of a new sardine theme park, Flint secretly powers his machine at a power plant, only to have it rocket into the sky, destroying much of the town in the process. People are very much mad at Flint, including his father, voiced by James Caan, until it is discovered that his machine works, and food begins raining from the sky. Flint, along with some help from a new weather reporter, voiced by Anna Faris, develops a way to request what food is developed in the sky and things seem to work in the towns favor, that is until the overload of power starts to make the food larger and larger.

News Anchor: The food seems to be falling in a rather peculiar fashion, taking out the most important landmarks around the world first.

While based on the children's book, the film was scripted and directed by the creators of a cult favorite MTV series, Clone High, which had a very witty and sharp sense of humor that is very evident in this film. The tone of this film is very self aware, adhering to the basic story beats of the young, misunderstood hero, but creating hilarity due to how it treats the predictability of its own plot as well as throwing in tons of great one liners, sight gags, running jokes, and physical comedy.

Flint Lockwood: Come on, Steve. We've got a diem to carpe!

Instead of trying to find a bunch of A-list actors to shove into roles, the film makes good use of comedians and character actors that fit. Bill Hader of SNL is solid in his first real lead role. Bruce Campbell and James Caan are well cast. Then you have a list of others that includes Neil Patrick Harris, Andy Samberg, and most importantly Mr. T of all people. Some how, Mr. T was completely hilarious and amazing throughout this film.

The animation is very good. Sony doesn't attempt to match the quality of Pixar, opting for a Dreamworks styled animated film, but that's not a knock against it. Instead, this film embraces its broader character and background designs, filling the screen with vibrant colors and a lot of dynamic action sequences. The film's later scenes actually stand up really well as a disaster film...with giant food. Probably one of the better 3D film's I've watched.

Flint Lockwood: I wanted to run away, but you can't run away from your own feet.

Overall, I was incredibly surprised at how entertaining this film was. It's very funny, full of imagination, and looks great.

"Baby" Brent: The pizza's chasing us!
jagfire
jagfire

November 13, 2010
Cute
Jon L

September 15, 2009
Great film, great story, great cast! It seems like when making an animation, it lessens the cost, which lowers the pressure, which makes the writer make a simplistic script and allows everyone to execute it well. There is nothing crazy or groundbreaking here, just a great adaptation of a kids book, well done. Yes, see it if you haven't already. It's a very funny film and worth spending your time and money on.