Earth (Disneynature's Earth) (Planet Earth) Reviews

michael e.
½ January 20, 2011
im a huge fan of nature films and this movie is no exception it takes the visuals to its advantage and its fantastic to look at
thefog1331
½ October 11, 2009
In it's defense the TV series this was culled from is entertaining and informative but cut down into 90 mintues makes for a vague, confusing documentary.
½ July 2, 2009
Undeniably beautiful and soothing but a bit too preachy and pretentious to really leave a huge impact.
April 20, 2009
This documentary was shot over four years in countless locations and combines the best nature and animal photography you have ever seen to a very powerful film. Not only is it sweet and funny, but also breathtakingly beautiful, cruel and true, just like nature. Some of the scenes, like the paradise birds or the wading monkeys, are so jaw-droppingly new and amazing that you can't help but rub your eyes. The very fitting and lovely soundtrack plays a big part in creating a unique atmosphere, as well. The commentary states interesting facts every once in a while, but never annoys with too much information or by stating the obvious. While the final message of showing more care for the environment and nature is not presented very subtly it is still a valid one to make. Considering the beautiful images of landscapes and animals you followed for 90 minutes at that point, it would take a fool not to agree. As far as nature documentaries go, this is by far the most impressive film I have ever seen.
½ May 21, 2009
I am assuming that is a summary of the BBC series Planet Earth made for theatres, so I am rating this based on the 15 hour, British version I saw on DVD.

I was blown away by the photography and patience it took to make this movie. It is one of the best documentaries, let alone nature documentaries, I have ever seen. I think everyone should see this film, or at least parts of it.
Nate Z.
May 7, 2009
[font=Arial][color=DarkRed]The kind folks at the newly established Disney Nature division want to make sure those who missed out on the stunning 2006 Discovery Channel/BBC miniseries [i][b]Planet Earth[/b][/i] get another chance. [b][i]Earth[/i][/b] is a re-edited, recycled version of the globe-trotting miniseries, cutting down 8 hours to a bladder-friendly 95 minutes. Disney has given the film a family-friendly narrative, following the exploits of three families; a mamma polar bear and her cubs, a whale and offspring, and an elephant and its little thundering toddlers (note to parents: the film doesn't shy away from death but you won't watch any onscreen kills). The footage is jaw-dropping and to witness it on the big screen is a must-see. The mini-series, and by extension the new movie, is a powerful advertisement for conservation without having to get on-message or preachy. The gorgeous images speak volumes. The filmmakers spent over 5 years compiling mass amounts of footage, and some cameramen sat in isolated and harsh conditions for a year in order to snap rare moments on film. While the film cannot rival the mini-series, it's still a highly watchable experience with eye-popping visuals and, really, little else. It serves as a tasty appetizer for the larger main course, the immersive and riveting [b][b][i]Planet Earth[/i][/b][/b] mini-series. But hey, there is something God-like about listening to James Earl Jones detail the particulars of life on this spinning blue orb. [b][i]Earth[/i][/b] is mostly spectacle but ho boy, is it first-rate spectacle.

Nate's Grade: A-[/color][/font]
½ April 27, 2009
with a voiceover by a friendlier darth vader (james earl jones) and lotsa big screen flyover shots of big friggen country and, but of course, lotsa cute animals being cute out in the big country, well, you're simply proud to be a part of the plan. i was.
skactopus
½ April 26, 2009
Sure, Disneynature's Earth is a documentary, and yes there is no acting. Believe it or not, there is a place for realism, and documentaries are it.There is more to this story than just the following of the 3 families (polar bears, elephants, and the humpback whales). Of course, more time is spent with these 3, with the polar bears taking the bulk of it. I guess this is because global warming is having the greatest influence on this species.The settings vary to multiple portions of the world and this allows the viewer to see places and species that he/she never imagined. Thus, this becomes quite an interesting watch. This documentary never gets boring.The camerawork is superb. EVERY single shot is planned out and props goes out to the crew because this film must have taken an extreme amount of time and effort to shoot. Slow motion, as well as sped up shots, are also very effective at the times they are used. This movie is truly a visual treat.James Earl Jones lends his voice for the narration and who could be better? This is what he does best, so there is no reason to fix what isn't broken. The narration is also descriptive enough and very easy to comprehend.Earth is a serious movie with a serious message and it is seriously a film to consider watching.
November 19, 2007
Best documentary in years
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ August 4, 2008
A beautiful portrait of our planet on this great documentary movie... But the truth is that this movie was so boring... Patrick Stewart didn't make a good narration, he just feels like tells a bedtime story to me... I slept three times while watching it, so I must watch it again from the last time I left... This documentary reminds us about the crisis that our planet now suffer... But at least, they should come with a better story because I can't stand watching this movie because it was so boring...
½ May 10, 2009
Ignore my star rating. I'm flummoxed. Never before has a movie experience pissed me off and amazed me simultaneously. First the bad news. I wish I had known that this was footage recycled from the PLANET EARTH series on the Discovery channel. A great series with a better narrator - Sigourney!!! --- but I sat there pissed off for spending $12 for images I had already seen. The good news? It's still breathtaking. If you've never seen the series, you'll watch this film with your mouth agape at the horror and desperation our world's wildlife experiences in its eternal search for food. It sucks to be a polar bear, an elephant, any type of faun, a seal...basically anything less agile than a lion or a shark...unless of course you have walrus tusks. Then you're good to go regardless of the fact that you're a lumbering bag of blubber.
neumdaddy
May 10, 2009
...it lingers like the memory of a holiday, or reminiscing about foreign lands. The air is staticky, pokey, prodding your skin in a peevish fashion like it's made of the shivers that travel down your spine in moments of excitement. It contains something meaningful but disappearing. Above, the sunset spectrums coil with clouds of thick cream, veiling the faint celestial twinkle. A moon-shaped silhouette glides on the other side of the horizon, ushering in mysterious purples and navies, and presiding above a tableau of stone and blood, of debris and dead artists. Corpses are strewn about a decaying castle courtyard like tossed-aside dolls, dramatically splayed in death postures, their faces caked with earth and the crimson of their own ooze, wreathing stale mannequin eyes, like treasure chests robbed of its gold. Their dead fists still grip their instruments and their brushes, mangled, frayed, dried in still more dead stuff. And yet I must consider the skeletal forms falling into the negative space, pulsing with emptiness, screaming in the theater of grand silence. The gaping maw will open up and suffocate the stage of its art. But that is looking too far into the future. Right now, the relationship is perfect between them all. Allow it to be, just for a little while longer...
½ June 26, 2008
I was surprised to find that the movie is not exclusively the stories of the polar bear, humpback whale, and elephant like the posters and trailers lead you to believe. There is a great variety of footage, and short segments reveal the habitats and nature of several other species of flora and fauna. I challenge anyone to watch this movie without having their jaw drop open and having ooohs and aaaws escape their mouth. This movie is full of awe inspiring images. OK, one guy sitting near me in the theater fell asleep and started snoring a little, but if you aren't drowsy after a big meal and can keep your eyes moving over the big screen at all the detail and color and your ears pealed to James Earl Jones' soothing authoritative voice, you'll be sure to have an enjoyable experience. You'll learn about places and creatures you probably have little idea about. You'll see the seasons and how the whole world is connected. The time lapse photography and slow motion photography is breathtaking!

It is no wonder that Disney with its tradition of nature films has made so many movies with animal characters. It's not about cute animals for the children really. But they have always strived to capture the natural lives of all sorts of creatures and amazing scenery that they can then use as models for their animation. Plus you have the BBC partnered on this effort.
Bradley T. Johnson
May 1, 2010
An amazing documentary, that is a completely entertaining, funny, suspenseful, beautiful, and heartwarming film. It will make you cry, and it is a masterpiece. Disneynature is off to a great start. Overall Rating:97
November 23, 2009
Absolutely incredibly cinematography and awesome shots. One of the best nature movies ever... the videographers placed themselves in danger's way just to get the footage in this movie and it paid off! There were parts that were uplifting, sad, and even hilarious like the part where the birds of paradise were trying to attract a mate and as the female bird flies away James Earl Jones says in a voice over, "Well, I guess not today."
July 18, 2011
the most heartwarming and amazing documentary that will make you have a different look on the earth. A
May 3, 2009
A marvelous documentary showcasing some of Earth's breathtaking landscapes and animals.
kylemydude
½ April 28, 2010
Disney Nature's first film, released on Earth day 2009 was both a moving, emotional, and beautiful experience.
jim222001us
February 28, 2009
This documentary is great to look at. It's full of amazing footage of wild animals and nature. It's also an important film about how Global Warming is impacting Polar Bears especially. Earth is a must see for everyone.
½ September 13, 2009
It was beautiful, informative, and compelling but not completely unique. Still, it was enjoyable.