The Secret (Si j'étais toi) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret (Si j'étais toi) Reviews

middleeasternfilms
January 23, 2011
Duchovny's wife and daughter are critically injured in a car wreck and his dead wife returns in his daughter's body...or is it her? Or is it really his daughter? Or is it both? Who knows? Who cares? A waste of time for anybody other than either David's fans or people who have seen EVERY OTHER MOVIE EVER MADE!!! But as bad as Duchovny's acting always is, he seems to actually try with this piece of shit he's given. Remember...he agreed to it
puffchunk
½ August 21, 2009
Not nearly as creepy as "Birth" with Nicole Kidman. A refreshing twist on the genera.
March 11, 2012
Redeemed only by an amazing performance from Olivia Thirlby when possessed by her mother, The Secret is dismally similar to far too many films, including family dramas like Freaky Friday. Were Olivia and David Ducovny not such great performers, The Secret would probably become down-right unbearable.
January 23, 2011
An interesting start, but it goes nowhere. The ending is lame.
iLeo
½ June 8, 2008
A fascinating movie that centralizes around a small family torn apart after a tragic car accident in which both the daughter and the mother are critically injured. The wife/mother?s body dies, but her spirit is trapped within her daughter?s body. Great cast- Lili Taylor, David Duchovny, and Olivia Thirlby. Worth seeing!
chadroesti
October 26, 2008
OK movie I guess just not my usual type of entertainment. I wanted to fast forward through parts of it but Peach was over and I think he was tearing up. My girlfriend was interested so you girls out there may like it. Too much emotions and blah blah for me.
½ September 2, 2008
This movie is rather disturbing. There is something off-putting about a father and daughter sharing such a physical relationship because the daughter's body is haunted by the spirit of her mother. I did like the resolution in the end, but overall the whole movie was bothersome.
½ January 1, 2012
I guess it was about.. parents not understanding their teenage daughters? I dunno. But, a nice showcase for the often marginalized Olivia Thirlby
½ November 15, 2011
I was suprised at how much I enjoyed it. The romantic notion of love transcending death is one of the more appealing themes. Touches on taboo enough for some uncomfortableness but, they were handle tastefully and not exploided for shock value. There is a glaring hole in the script; the movies only weak spot is the mystical explanation for the transference, possession or multiple personality disorder, with a stock scene of some library research and contacting an intellectual who must have been conveniently close by. It suffers from being only 93 minutes. If an extra 15 or 20 minutes where there filling in the gaps and giving more time for the relationships it could have been much better. But the good acting more than makes up for these problems. Nicely acted by the beautiful Olivia Thirlby, whose mannerisms change enough to be convincing. Sadly Lili Taylor, a wonderful actress, is only in it for a short amount of time. And Duchovny is great as always. One more drawback. Some places have this marked as a thriller and some posters suggest this as well. Far from it. Why, I have no idea. But this is not a thriller.
September 25, 2011
This film had a decent cast, but some of them didn't seem to fit their parts. Now David Duchovny did a pretty good job. He seemed normal and the parts when he was losing it, he was very believable. Lili Taylor did a good job, but I wish she was in it more. Olivia Thirlby plays the daughter of Duchovny and Taylor. The mom's soul goes into the daughter, so through most of the movie, Thirlby had to pretend to act like Taylor. At parts it seemed like she was, but other parts not so much. I did on the other hand like the story a lot. The ending was a little off for me, but it wasn't terrible. The movie really didn't have a scare factor. The film sets itself up to be scary, but it is not. It is mentally creepy though. If you pay attention to the characters, you will see what I am talking about. So overall, it was decent, but not the best of its genre.
½ August 9, 2010
This movie is... weird. The entire concept is just so strange but perfectly executed by Olivia Thirlby. She puts forth an incredibly convincing performance as she transforms from an "adult" into a teenager. Once her identity is changed, she portrays her character exactly as Lili Taylor would have, thoroughly convincing the viewer that it is a new person in her body. The 3 1/2 star rating primarily comes from Thirlby's amazing performance. David Duchovny is okay and the rest of the actors are average, but strong dialogue drives the plot and draws attention away from the impossibility of the plot.
½ September 5, 2010
Based on the description given to me by Netflix, I was under the assumption that daddy and daughter (possessed by mommy) were gonna get it on... BLAH! No one got it on and I was a little sad. The concept of movie was awesome. Mom and daughter were in a car accident, mom's soul or spirit is transferred into the daughter's body and mom dies. Almost like a Freaky Friday, the mom living in her daughter's body finds out the good and the bad of her daughter's life and begins to understand teenagers.
Although the movie was good, it was slow moving and very hard to fit into a category other than drama. There was no thrill, it wasn't a mystery per se, nor was it a supernatural movie. I wish there would have been more of a mystery to solve of why the mother was inhabiting her daughter, but there wasn't and mom just kinda went away after "understanding" her daughter but doing drugs. Lame, yes... Overall, the movie did not suck and I would recommend as a kill time kinda movie.
½ June 2, 2009
The synopsis makes it sound a lot more messed up than it actually is. It's a very good movie if you just give it a chance.
January 23, 2011
I?m not sure how this movie was pitched, but everything about the marketing led me to believe this was some sort of mystery thriller. But, this is a coming of age emotional ride movie that isn?t really very good for that. It jumps about in some odd directions and bizarre visual and performance points. It just didn?t come off with the right tone for me. Not sure what else to say about it other than that. This one just didn?t work for me. But if anyone is tuning in for a mystery, you won?t really get it. It just doesn?t work.
½ August 11, 2010
May 5, 2010
It starts out promisingly enough but very soon devolves into utter nonsense. What could have been a psychological look into the mind of a person trying to make sense out of the world that she helped create is little more than a body switching mess. From a worn out premise to the creepy scenes of father and daughter in bed together, everything in The Secret just feels dopey; that's putting it mildly.
½ April 21, 2010
Probably one of the worse films I have recently seen. A ridiculous story line to say the least. An expected story line by sci-fi standards, however the acting was contrived and the subplot of sexual intrigue is appalling. Personally a career low for Mr. David Duchovny. It is unfortunate, however this film had only a few redeeming characteristics. One it had an interesting parent-child complexity regarding the life that the main female character was leading behind their backs. Secondly the complexity of the acting from the lead female, was actually pretty talented. Overall, I would say don't watch.
February 6, 2010
This is a great little film that was not seen by many people. Duchovny shows great range as Dr Ben Maris, who has to deal with love and loss after his wife and teenage daughter are in a car accident. It's well worth watching.
½ January 10, 2010
The problem with this movie is not that the subject matter is implausible, fantasy is what movies are all about. What I had a problem with was that the parts of the movie that were supposed to be realistic were incredible as well. The plot was interesting and the storyline should have been riveting. However, it was handled ineptly. I saw it as having the potential for being a "Freaky Friday" for adults, but it was never quite as entertaining as I remembered "Freaky Friday" being when I was a kid. I give it 2 eyerolls and a yawn.
August 6, 2009
Very under rated movie. THis had been on my netflix list for a quite a while and I wasnt in the mood for another 'Freaky Fridayesque' movie. Glad I finally got around to watching this though.

First off it's not funny. It's beautiful, heart breaking and asks some interesting questions.

Great chemistry between Lili and David though I suspected there would be since they did so well together in one of David's 'x-files' episodes. Olivia Thirlby really steals this movie. Her vulnerability, anger, wonder and love she puts into both her characters is worth watching.