The Perfect Game Reviews

August 18, 2015
Not the best movie ever about the great game of baseball, but it has enough heart and a good third act to earn its 3 stars.
July 7, 2015
one of the best movies i have seen in a long time! i had never heard the story, so watching this movie and realizing it was a true story only made it better!
½ May 26, 2015
An underdog sports picture cliche, but heartfelt all the way.
March 11, 2011
It's a great family film.!!!!!
July 17, 2014
A netflix movie that was good. Not so much baseball just reacting a Mexican team making it to the world series. Not as good as Million Dollar Arm but it sure has more baseball than it did.
June 28, 2014
A movie about baseball and faith. An unexpected surprise and perfect for family night movie.
May 15, 2014
Acting is sometimes cheesy, but great historic underdog - sports story.
½ July 30, 2009
Based on a true story and set in the small of town of Monterrey, Mexico, during the 1950, a group of kids obsessed with baseball, dream to form a team and play in the Little League World Series. The problem is, that not only don't the kids know how to play, but they don't have a coach or even a field. Until one day, the kids encounter a former St. Louis Cardinals prospect, Carlos Faz (Clifton Collins), who takes on the nearly impossible task of preparing the kids to play in the tournament. The Perfect Game is very inspirational and the kids are adorable, but the film is severely lacking the usual characteristics of a sports film. It's the kids that make the movie, earning your admiration, while making you laugh and cry at the same time, but as a baseball fan, I expect some kind of sports action to be associated with a film like this. All the on field scenes are turned into montages of kids hitting, catching, and throwing, but there are no specifics or real-time game intensity. It's this seemingly small element, that prevents a good film from becoming a great one. Clifton Collins stars as coach Faz and gives a great performance. Collins is an actor I generally don't like, I find that he doesn't fit into many of his roles, but he really surprises me by being everything these kids needed and more. The lead child star is Jake T. Austin, who is now a nineteen year old heart-throb on the ABC family show, The Fosters. I've never seen him in anything before, but it was amazing to think he was only twelve years old when this film was made, because he was the strongest member of the cast. Austin was emotionally charged and was the kid that I wanted to see succeed the most. The film is presented as a sports movie, about the first international team to play in the Little League World Series Tournament. However, it is less of a sports movie and more of a drama about what the kids had to do just to get there and the hardships they faced once they were there. I was disappointed by the lack of real-time sports action, but impressed by the performance of the young cast and what they had to face during such a racial charged time in American history.
February 28, 2014
Excellent story. You will laugh. You will cheer. It will bring tears to your eyes.
bbcfloridabound
February 11, 2014
I had read before that Mexico had won the Little League World Series in 1957 and 1958. What I hadn't read, was anything about this team. I had no idea what they had to go through just to make it happen. This could easily be considered the greatest baseball story of all time. They not only overcame the fact that they had never played organized ball before. They had to overcome financial issues, discrimination and not having a coach for a while. This team had some kids with real talent, and I think they won because they wanted it more. I thought the acting in this movie was a little forced, but it was not terrible. Cheech Marin does a good job playing the priest. It has some more famous child actors as well as Marin, including Jake T. Austin who plays Max on Wizards Of Waverly Place and Moises Arias who played Rico on Hannah Montana. I think all the kids do a pretty good job. The movie is supposed to have a relaxed, light-hearted and family friendly feel and it does. However, it does not have this in a cheesy way. It takes on racism, and shows how the Mexican team overcame racism not only for themselves, but for a black player from another team in a restaurant. It shows the impact that they left on the people who saw them play. A local Texas reporter who hates baseball eventually develops into a person who loves this team and wants to cover them at Williamsport. I like the part where they get advice from the groundskeeper, who turns out to be legendary Negro League player Cool Papa Bell. There were a lot of elements included in this movie that really make you think, that hold your attention and capture your imagination. I rented this from a Redbox and watched it twice before taking it back. This movie also made me want to learn more about the real life team and I found a lot of good articles. I would recommend this movie for any serious baseball fan, and for any family that is looking for a good film to watch together. It crosses that audience spectrum in the same way that The Sandlot, Angels In The Outfield, Little Big League and Rookie Of The Year do. This story/movie has become one of my favorites ever. Highly recommended. Don't expect an Oscar winner in production quality, but it's a great watch nonetheless. 2-10-14
September 17, 2009
I love heart-warming true stories. I love sport. I love underdogs overcoming adversity. I'm sentimental. I'm corny. So yes, I absolutely loved this movie. It honours God, it's got that uplifting innocence about it, the kids are funny and loveable, and although there's no real sense of jeopardy at any point, I still cried when Angel threw that final pitch. Relentless optimism is powerful.
September 14, 2013
The Perfect Game, although with the-so-many-used cliches, it has some magic by telling and maintain the fun on the real-life story where it is based.
March 14, 2010
Looks like something to see, it has been a while since Cheech Marin has been in a movie.
August 10, 2009
This was a sweet sports inspirational story. The cast was great and the kids were very endearing.
April 20, 2013
Nothing PERFECT about it
March 19, 2013
here's a drinking game: take a shot whenever a cliche shows up. you'll be dead before the halfway point.
February 24, 2013
This is a movie based on a true story... In fact, all little league stories are based from this story. If you're looking to see a good family movie based on true family values like God, perseverance and love, this is it.
February 9, 2013
Just watched it on DVD with our baseball-loving grandsons. It was an inspiring and wonderful movie. The Perfect Game is a perfect movie experience if you want to create character, faith, and determination to a greater cause in life.
January 3, 2013
Aunque el tema del equipo deportivo que inicia de nada y termina siendo al sensacion de todos, ya ha sido llevada en varias ocasiones, es agradable que esta vez los protagonistas sean mexicanos. Una muy bonita historia con varios valores y digna de ser recordada por la proeza que se hizo en su momento. Fuerte critica al racismo americano; y una bonita presentacion del sacerdote que siempre estuvo cerca del equipo, formada por algunos de sus monaguillos.
½ December 25, 2012
fantastic sports movie. clean, happy, hopeful, great story.