I Love You Beth Cooper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Love You Beth Cooper Reviews

November 12, 2013
I know this movie is stupid, Okay? But damn it, I like it. Is this film realistic? No way in hell! The hot cheerleader starts to like the nerd instantly and the story is fairly repetitive and clunky. Also, this high school probably has the worst people in it. The bullying is so hardcore. And I thought MY high school had bad bullying. Some of the character's actions are completely unbelievable and there are no punishment for some of the stupid and downright violent crimes. But why does this film hold place in my heart? Well, throughout high school, I often felt like the main character. The nerd who will never get the pretty girl. It sounds cheesy I know, but this film gave me hope. That one crazy night can change your life and that anything is possible. Although this film is totally unrealistic and generally pretty stupid, I was laughing my ass off and having a good time. Don't expect a masterpiece, just some dumb laughs. But hey, those can be fun!
November 1, 2010
Looks unfunny and lazy
Nate Z.
½ December 1, 2009
Not the trainwreck it's been advertised as but still nowhere near the term of "passable," I Love You, Beth Cooper feels like a forgotten relic from a time capsule of 1980s teen movies. It just feels so powerfully dated and yet incompetent when it comes to maintaining a consistent comedic tone or building interesting characters. During the valedictorian's (Paul Rust) graduation speech, he loses his filter, lets people know his real thoughts, and Beth Cooper (Hayden Panettiere) gets the titular declaration. Thanks to director Christopher Columbus, the movie wallows in shallow stereotypes; geek goes after head cheerleader. The comedy is ramped-up slapstick that approaches cartoon ridiculousness, including Beth's ex-boyfriend who assaults and destroys everything in sight without anyone ever calling the police. There are some ham-handed life lessons doled out between the PG-13 randiness. The casting also dooms the flick. Panettiere isn't a strong actress, and Rust is an actor best described as "highly punch-able." I was irritated by his every movement and word, and I felt compelled to keep punching him in the face. I'm not a violent person at all but thus was my level of annoyance. There are some fun stretches but nothing that ever sticks or resonates. I Love You, Beth Cooper is not worth adulation or scorn, just indifference.

Nate's Grade: C
April 4, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ January 9, 2015
Hated the main character.
January 4, 2015
I won't say that this movie is particularly good. The poor pacing, lack of a supporting cast and odd humor make for a strange ride. However, the movie does do an acceptable job of riding the line between The Hangover, Superbad and Perks of Being a Wallflower. It isn't great, but I Love You Beth Cooper offers some decent chuckles and a few interesting reflections on identity, with the relatively unknown cast allowing for a fresher take on the genre.
½ September 28, 2012
Even though Panettiere made a nice show with her good looks, this movie suffers from horribly flat acting and a mostly weak story. It's kinda fun in parts though, hence my rating.
March 9, 2010
hmmmm
out of curiosity
March 1, 2010
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
July 2, 2014
Most jokes are repeated and humorless with the glorification of teens illegal acts making the attempt on creating a funny teen comedy a failure.
July 17, 2009
Taking cues from every teen movie ever made before it, this adaptation of Larry Doyle's book is painfully hilarious to watch.
April 22, 2014
Apart from the last ten minutes (which were actually somewhat heartfelt and well shot), everything about this movie is insulting and stupid. If twelve year olds wrote scripts, any of those would likely still be better than this unfunny, unoriginal, cheesy, stereotypical, and overall stupid adaption of what I've heard is a decent book. I don't know whether to blame the acting on the terrible writing, the poor overall direction by otherwise decent director Chris Columbus, or just a poor choice in actors. Quite frankly, I'm not putting any bets on the latter, because no person in their right mind could pull off any of the roles in this film. On the bright side, at least my inner 13-year old got one or two laughs...
½ April 18, 2011
Nothing about this movie will stick with you later. I admit that it is moderately enjoyable, but a month later, you may forget you saw it. There are some light laughs, but none of the dialogue or highlight scenes stand out. It is a typical teen-underdog story where the dorky boy gets the pretty girl, who is way out of his league. Clichés are fine when there is enough development or supporting humor to make it work, but this just does not quite have it. The characters are not interesting enough to be insightful nor are they sufficiently wild and goofy for a zany comedy. A ho-hum cast of bland actors does not help matters. It strives to be like American Pie with its youthful awkward sexual energy, but this is no America Pie.
½ April 17, 2014
The cheap style of the DVD convinced me right off that this wasn't going to be a great film. However, on a recommendation from my cousin I gave this film a chance. I am glad that I did! A teen film like most others, ILYBC is easy to flick on and takes no effort to watch. A great little unwind comparable to others of the genre such as Mean Girls, Clueless, Adventureland and Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

In his final speech at high school, Denis Cooverman (Paul Rust) announces his love for Beth Cooper (Hayden Panettiere). Causing her extremely jealous, coked up, military boyfriend to start hunting him down. Along with Beth, her friends and his own closest friend they burst into wild high school parties, the abandoned school itself and an abandoned lakeside lodge.

Not great cinema, but worth catching. 5/10
April 10, 2014
A very common movie to watch and see that will not leave any trace in someone's memory. Trying-to-hard scripts and lines that failed to impress and make people laugh.
½ April 9, 2014
I'm definitely in the minority on this one, but this corny coming of age story really hit a home run for me. I identified with Denis Cooverman in a way I was quite surprised by. I'm not a big comedy fan, but I found myself laughing out loud several times. Been a Hayden Panettiere fan since Remember the Titans. The young lady is too hot for her own good and has better acting chops than she receives credit for. A lighter, campier version of the Perks of Being a Wallflower.
April 7, 2014
One of the best movies I've seen in all times never get sick of it
February 18, 2014
Damn, this movie irritated me to no end.
January 1, 2014
High school is indeed a great great ride. This movie makes me look back at my memories of it.
November 17, 2009
Not terrible, but not amazing.