19% Transcendence Apr 18

April 10, 2014
three stars
Carlos M

March 6, 2014
A well-made remake that is bold enough to be completely different from the original movie, and it is great that it touches on intriguing questions about human nature without missing the opportunity to discuss today's politics. But too bad though that it lacks energy and feeling.
skactopus
skactopus

February 23, 2014
Jose Padilha's RoboCop doesn't contain enough panache to sustain itself.The film starts off well, but as the story progresses, it loses its sense of intrigue. A number of characters fall flat and that's not a good thing; especially when the story approaches the 2 hour mark.The visuals are the film's highlight, although they aren't enough to completely save it. The robots look excellent and the action sequences contain enough stylish pieces to warrant some praise.The cast is filled with familiar faces. Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton are noteworthy. Joel Kinnaman and Abbie Cornish are very monotone, although the former is supposed to be that way. On another note, there is too much Samuel L. Jackson.RoboCop isn't bad film; far from it. It is a bit forgettable though. Just like this review.
Eugene B

February 22, 2014
While it does supply a visual & action-packed improvement from the original 1978-feature-length-film, this reboot can't add more pizzazz or flair to make even remotely comparable to it. RoboCop has a flat story, even with its dynamic cast. The film starts high but slowly & surely descends down until you're left distraught towards its conclusion. 3/5
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 14, 2014
The 1980's were a fine period for action films. Several film reinvented the genre, Die Hard, Predator, The Terminator and of course Robocop. Paul Verhoeven's original, graphically violent 1987 Robocop is a raw, gritty intense action packed thrill ride from start to finish. With this remake, director José Padilha tries to revamp the classic film, and gives it more depth, as the original film was light in terms of seeing Murphy interact with his family, and we go more in depth in Murphy's back-story. However, the PG-13 rating makes the film lose its true potential of being a great action film. If this remake wouldn't have been strictly aimed at teens, which for the most part feels that way, then maybe Robocop would have been a worthy remake. As it is, it's a valiant attempt at recreating Robocop, after the dreadful 3rd entry which was directed by Fred Dekker. Despite its numerous flaws, there are two standout performances in the film, Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton. Both actors are great in their roles and each brings something that makes this film a mindless thrill ride. Nonetheless, the end result is a mediocre remake that could have been so much more. I think that this version of Robocop would have worked better as a sequel than as a remake. There are some nice touches to the film, and there are some cool action scenes, but it's nothing remarkable either. I'm really indifferent about this version, and I thought that despite a few good things going for it, this remake simply was mediocre in the long run. The 1987 original will always be better, and I have nothing against reboots, but they have to be done right. Robocop is just limited due to its rating, somewhat lacking storyline, and at times slow pace. I really was hoping for a better movie, but in the end, like every other current remake being released, Robocop 2014 fails to capture the feel, and originality of the classic due to the fact that the filmmakers recycle old ideas, and revamp it to make it seem like a new, improved version. I think it's a shame because there are a few interesting ideas at work here, but overall, it doesn't deliver anything memorable either. Stick with Verhoeven's original; you'll be glad you did. With that being said, seek out the unrated; director's cut of the 1987 film, which is the definitive version of Robocop. Now, is this remake awful? It isn't, but it does leave a lot to be desired from the finished product. However, it does leave you wanting more out of this remake.
KJ P

February 15, 2014
While making many nods to the original 1987 version, this remake of "Robocop" has a much different story, and in some ways, it handles some of the emotions more than the original. When this film begins, you feel a bit cheated out of the source material, but once everything kicks into gear, you find yourself forgiving many things, because the performance by the lead star is very very good. Instead of dying and coming back as a robot, this time he faces a near death experience, leaving him with his brain capabilities and the ability to feel emotions. I enjoyed that aspect much more and the training sequences are far more impressive this time around. All positives aside, this film is clouded with CGI and straight forward dialogue, making it another generic action flick. There are many depths of emotion explored here, but not many more positives, so overall, I will recommend it to fans of the original, to get a taste of something old being revamped, but it may be hard to attract newcomers with this.
Edward B

February 15, 2014
Like last year's Evil Dead remake, RoboCop (2014) has been showered with hate, and just like Evil Dead (2013), the hate isn't warranted. While it doesn't touch the original, RoboCop is a different interpretation with an intriguing story, some interesting ideas about politics/propaganda, and solid acting by a great cast. I love the original film, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

January 12, 2013
This re-vamp offers entertainment to a degree, Oldman is brilliant as always however the movie doesn't excite the senses, average re-boot.
Mark E

February 11, 2014
Not a patch on the original..the film is saved by some good sfx in the early scenes & great performances from Michael Keaton and especially Gary Oldman.
Glenn G

April 5, 2014
MY REVIEW OF ROBOCOP (1 Star)

Remakes don't tend to excite, especially when the original was just fine on its own. A do-over on a terrible film is another story, but I have to admit to being a little excited when I heard Jose Padilha was directing the remake of Paul Verhoeven's 1987 classic. Padilha, a Brazilian filmmaker, impressed me greatly with his ELITE SQUAD movies, filled as they were with visceral, impactful action. Additionally, THE KILLING's Joel Kinnaman would be slipping into the lead role, and I have found him to be a powerful, hugely empathetic presence.

It was obvious to me that the reboot would make the original look clunky when looking at the huge leaps and bounds we've seen in effects work, and that is very much the case here. I can also appreciate that the remake is going for an entirely different tone. Whereas the 1987version was a sly, humorous and satirical look at corporate greed and BIG BROTHER politics, the remake plays it straight as a largely serious explosion of action. As such, it's a flat, boring, painfully repetitive exercise in boom-bang-kapow.

Initially, I thought there was promise as Samuel L. Jackson is a pundit/reporter who frames the film with his SNAKES ON A PLANE/DEEP BLUE SEA speechifying. His reporting leads us to an effective sequence in Tehran in which we're introduced to OmniCorp's experimental robot police state. Reminiscent of DISTRICT 9, I thought we were in for a fresh spin on totalitarianism. The intelligence pretty much ends here.

Cue Kinnaman as Alex Murphy, a cop who is nearly decimated in an attack. Looking to launch their robots in the U.S., OmniCorp identifies Murphy as a prime candidate - happy husband/father, all American, yadda yadda. The aftermath of said attack is brutal and provides for some memorable imagery. For a second there, I really felt for Murphy's plight. What follows, however, for the remainder of the film is our title character cycling around and shooting people...nonstop. THE END. It's a numbing experience. There's nothing left to say about it. See the original and ELITE SQUAD: THE ENEMY WITHIN and you'll thank me later.
Shawn M

December 29, 2012
Entertaining..
Anthony L

March 31, 2014
With the slew of remakes and reboots flooding the gates of Hollywood these days you wouldn't really be surprised to see anything get that kind of treatment. Usually when it does the first question asked tends to be "do we really need another (insert movie here)"? I can happily say with José Padilha's reboot of Robocop that the answer is a big fat yes!

Padilha alters certain elements of the 1980's cult classic (and probably to the dismay of a lot of die hard fans) like Robo's partner is now an African American male, they change his origin story as well. The changing of the partner was a minor difference in the grand scheme of things, and the changing of Robocop's origin fit better with the overall theme of the movie.

Where as Robocop in the 80's featured themes about the media, gentrification, corruption, authoritarianism, greed, privatization, capitalism, identity, dystopia, and human nature. The 2014 remake covers a lot of the same ground and in fact has even more meaning today as many of those thematic elements still exist of have worsened since 1987. Furthermore Padhilha's remake touches on drone attacks, removing the human element from work, and privacy (all of which are very hot topics).

So Robocop has the themes locked down. How does it play as a film? To my surprise it easily surpassed the bar I had set for it. Originally this movie was not pre-screened for critics which is usually a bad sign about how well it will be received. But after it's conclusion I found myself excited and eagerly awaiting a sequel (something that the ending leaves plenty of room for).

While it isn't a gory as the original this new incarnation of Robocop packed in a ton of great action scenes, and while it shied away from being overly gory it certainly wasn't your standard "PG Style" action. From a cinematic standpoint everything looked great. The visuals looked solid throughout.

What really hooked me was how much Joel Kinnaman brought to the role of Alex Murphy/Robocop. As Robocop he certainly channeled Peter Weller at times but brought his own thing to it. In fact I feel like he added more humanity to the character and even maybe deepened it a bit more. I was truly caught off guard how real he made such a ridiculous character seem, he took what could have been some really awful scenes and totally made them work.

Michael Keaton also gets a ton of credit as Raymond Sellers the big bad guy in the film. Keaton really manages to walk the line of "he's a bad guy, but I can kind of see where he is coming from" and those types of villains are the best villains in the world. As the movie draws to a close there are a few moments though where he starts twirling his mustache a little bit too much.

Gary Oldman and Sam Jackson in secondary roles are both pretty darn solid throughout the movie as the voices for using Robocop to his fullest potential and for remembering that he is still a human being and should be treated as such.

Even though there are some flaws that might be worth quibbling over the ultimate result is a movie with a relevant message while still being a fantastic science fiction action movie with lots of PEW! PEW! and BANG! BANG! but it is also well made, and obviously with some love for the original. Given that you have no choice in whether this film would get made.......what more could you ask for?

Oh and hardcore Robo fans....... Don't worry to much about that black suit Alex Murphy dawns for the majority of the flick...... Let's just say it doesn't make until the end credits.
Heather J

March 13, 2014
This movie was pretty bad... but surprisingly a lot better than I thought it would be. This is another movie that should never have been remade and should have been left alone. It was so boring and I found it very hard to get through because I just felt like it was so lazy and the film-makers weren't even trying. I didn't even feel like the effects were that good. I wouldn't recommend this movie if you liked the original... or if you didn't like the original... I just wouldn't recommend this movie... at all.
StonedMagician99
StonedMagician99

February 16, 2014
Unlike most people, I don't hold the 1987 original in very high regard. It's true that it had something to say, and was plenty well made, but any semblance of a message got lost in the over-the-top violence. As to whether I prefer this newer, slicker, tamer version? I'd have to rewatch the original, but for now, I'd say that I do.

The plot is pretty much the same: cop is almost killed in the line of duty, thinly-veiled clandestine corporation rebuilds him in the name of liberty and justice for all, etc. Really, there's not a whole lot more about the plot (or the rest of the film) without veering into spoiler territory, but there are one or two twists and turns that, while utterly predictable (even to those who have not seen the original), are acted and presented well enough. The action is sleek and spare, never reveling in the bloodshed the way its predecessor did, so points for that. But at the end of the day, it's really just another actioner that genre fans should see, but everyone else should merely consider.
Gimly M

February 11, 2014
I never held the Robocop franchise particularly dear to my heart so when news came out that a reboot was on the horizon to inevitably ruin this "flawless" (pause for mocking laughter) series.

That said, I always found the first instalment cute and enjoyable enough to rewatch whenever I thought about it. Which to be fair last happened in about 2002 so there you go.

While I'll admit I did enjoy a handful of the references to the old film, and I was holding out for the inevitable drop of the "Dead or alive" line, by the time it finally came about it certainly felt more like an unpleasant shock than a gleeful old friend come to visit.

Because where Robocop [2014] finds its strengths is in what it doesn't try to copy from its original. Because let's face it the original is pretty universally adored and rightly so. Trying to replicate something that was already done perfectly just won't work out in your favour. It's like if NBC's Hannibal kicked around with Mads doing his best Anthony Hopkins and Anthony Hopkins had been doing his best Brian Cox impression, it'd be shit! But lo and behold Bryan Fuller accepted that'd be a stupid fucking idea and dared to have a bit of originality which is the greatest thing about it.

Firstly I'm aware that this isn't a Hannibal review so I'll get off of that and secondly, I'm aware that the concept of originality in a "reboot" can be written off as completely missing the point, here is exactly what "reboots" need to be doing... Well really what they need to be doing is stop getting made... but who am I to complain? I gobble up the 2006 Hills Have Eyes and Rob Zombie's Halloween like so much discount sushi, so maybe I should get off of ragging on remakes just because they're remakes as well.

If you give the remake a go you'll understand what I mean. The Boddicker (or in this case "Antoine Vallon") central focus still exists in the remake, but it feels uncomfortably forced and sort of falls to the wayside to make room for drone-warfare allegories, the Alex Murphy dichotomy and "What makes a man a man" speeches. The most approachable bit of the film is "The Novak Element" which not only doesn't occur in the original, it out right flies in its face.

Walking out of a film I often ask myself a few questions to help myself establish my feelings on it. In the case of Robocop [2014] these questions went

Is it as good as the 1987 film? Certainly not.
Is it better than I was expecting: Actually, yes.
Was it decent for a modern day sci-fi?: Pretty much
Was it necessary for this film to be made?: Absolutable not.
65%

-Gimly
Chrisanne C

March 11, 2014
This remake of Robocop was surprisingly enjoyable and entertaining. Impressive. Well-scripted and well acted, thanks to the strong performances of leads - Joel Kinnaman and Gary Oldman, and a strong supporting cast such as Michael Keaton and even Samuel Jackson! Expecting a sequel for sure.
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

February 18, 2014
Not your canon fodder's RoboCop, this modern update proves somewhat enjoyable but entirely unnecessary when it comes to reinventing the bionic wheel. Oh, it's fun beyond your wildest dreams...if it hit screens in 1995. Here, however, it's just a big budget remake of a darkly comic and brutally violent cult hit whose leftovers - when reheated - feel redundant in the wake of better sci-fi thrillers. Though not as tongue-in-cheek as a certain original 1987 gem, this update does have a timely sense of humor in the guise of a staunchly right leaning Glenn Beck-esque TV-host zealot played by Samuel L. Jackson. But the machine vs. mankind downgrade theme already played out so many times already on-screen that it'd make Phillip K. Dick spin around on his Blade Runner.

In this PG-13-rated remake, the multinational conglomerate OmniCorp realizes their vision for a part-man, part-robot after police officer Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman) - a loving husband, father and good cop - gets critically injured in the line of duty.

Joel Kinnamen possesses chops enough to pass off himself as an ass-kicking cyborg. The problem is, the rest of the production can't make you care enough to go full Robo. Director Jose Padilha (Elite Squad) exhibits great vision when it comes to action but can't work beyond the been-there/seen-that confines of Terminator 2 and Alien. That's right, RoboCop - with its marquee cast firing on all melodramatic cylinders - feels derivative not of the blueprint but of machinations that came before and in its stead. There's explosively exciting action and dramatics beside but it's just Déjà Goo all over again.
Bottom line: Half Man. Half Machine. Half Hearted.
SC007
SC007

February 17, 2014
The remake isn't as good as the original. I thought this was gonna be like the Total Recall remake, but it is not. That film is better than this one. You can write a whole essay comparing and contrasting the remake and the original Robocop films. I liked the differences between both the original and the remake. Rather than going on a different path with the remake, which is where it seemed to be going, they instead go back to the original film and try to copy it and create a mess instead.

No more news or fake TV commercials. Instead we have Samuel L. Jackson's character and his segments. No more "I'll Buy that for a dollar!!!" However, Jackie Earle Haley does a variation on that famous line. I miss the famous Robocop quick draw spin that was in the original. Some of the other Robots in the film looked like Cylons from the reboot Battlestar Galactica series. I liked that they had the original robosuit in the film. I liked it better than the black version which makes him look like Iron Man.

I do like that they have the Robocop music theme in the film and it is updated. I did like that they have on the Robocycle instead of a police car. The fight between Robo and ED-209 is awesome. I was shocked that the film has the PG-13 rating especially after scenes revealing what is left of Alex Murphy.

Honestly, they should not have used the names Alex Murphy or Lewis and created new names for the leads. They changed Lewis (played by Nancy Allen in the original) to a man here. In the original, Murphy is killed. Here he is critically wounded and put in the suit. They had a chance of doing something different with Murphy's wife and son here, however, they dropped the ball on that. Even their version of directive 4 doesn't work here.

Kinnaman was ok as Robocop, but not good as Murphy. He was too dull and bland. He lacks the charm that Peter Weller brought to the role. I think another actor like Mark Wahlberg or Ryan Reynolds would have done a better job in the role. He didn't have a good on screen chemistry with Abbie Cornish or the actor playing his son. Abbie reminds me a lot of Charlize Theron. It was great seeing Michael Keaton in the film, however, he wasn't as good as Ronny Cox in the original. I didn't realize that Keaton was the villain till the last 3rd of the film. His transition from going grey to evil seemed to forced and fast when it happened and didn't make much sense. Jackie Earle Haley is great in his role. Jay Baruchel was funny in his role.

The one who really stole the show was Gary Oldman. He was great as Norton. They could have made an entire film out of his character. I thought he was the most fascinating character in the film. Gary can make a bad movie watchable.

I don't know if their will be a sequel to this, but if you ask me, there is only one Robocop and his name is Peter Weller.