64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The Tooth Fairy Reviews

John M

January 25, 2010
Good fun movie. My daughter laughed a lot and had a blast. the Rock has quietly put himself into a stereotype roll now. This a fun feel good movie made for the younger generation.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

January 21, 2010
Im starting to think that if Dwayne Johnson wants to be taken seriously as a hollywood actor that he should probably stay away from these kid movies.
Yes this is a cute and amsusing movie as was The Game Plan but they truly are children movies.
Good cast,slightly amusing but its not that great!
Alexander D

September 2, 2011
I thought THE GAME PLAN was absolutely, with no doubt the worst Dwayne Johnson movie targeted at little ones. I almost fainted when I saw this because of how wrong I was. You know how they always say, "This is the movie you definitely don't want to miss"? Well, here's something for you: This is the movie you definitely don't want to see. It's the lamest, stupidest family "comedy" (?), and it won't even get so much as a simple "ha" out of you.
Nadira I

May 5, 2011
'Feeling good' kind of movie with some heart-breaking scenes that encourage us to not stop dreaming and believing. They are good! Dwayne Johnson is marvelous in this funny movie. A movie that should be watch by anyone who stop believing in dreams.
Jason O

March 19, 2011
There's one reason I had much interest in seeing this to begin with: The Rock is in it, and I'd thoroughly enjoyed every movie I'd seen him in. I still had to think about it, because the trailers made it seem so childish and silly, from what I remembered. As I often do with films (and other things in life in general), I found out I was wrong. This movie has several parts that'll make you laugh, and it has what most films of this type also have: good moral lessons to be reminded of, and inspiring parts (like when The Rock makes up with the family and when he scores his first goal in 9 seasons). So it's really nothing new, but I'm a fool for feel-good movies and drama films that work, which this one does. The streak of Dwayne Johnson films I like continues...and don't judge the film or make assumptions of what you'd think of it before you see it!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 13, 2011
There are bad movies and good movies, this is way worse than bad movies, this doesn't belong in a family household.
3niR
3niR

February 14, 2011
The idea of Rock wearing a tutu was just... weird (not funny). And seeing it? Don't ask. They tried too hard to make it funny. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it seemed stupid. The movie does have some messages to learn from. But I think most of the people will back away. And I also think that Rock could do much better than this. He's funny. But not this type please.
KJ P

May 10, 2010
With witty humor, a cheesy plot, and laughable dialogue, I never thought I would ever say this, but The Tooth Fairy is actually good. I enjoyed every bit of it even though it was full of moments that will have you role your eyes. Dwayne Johnson has never been quirkier, but to be honest, that is a very good thing. I was able to see past any and every little hint of dissatisfaction, and create the fairy world that the filmmakers tried to bring to life. The Tooth Fairy actually has a few great emotional moments and an ending that will make anyone smile, which is why I say not to hesitate to watch this, but go into it with a childs mind. If you follow this step, you will definitely enjoy this harmless kids film!
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 11, 2010
Silly, minor comedy with an unnecessary mean streak running through it. Dwayne Johnson has a lot of charisma but he's wasting it in a string of asisine films like this one and The Game Plan. Julie Andrews effortlessly adds some much needed class to the production but the less said about Billy Crystal's overplayed cameo the better.
Chris G

May 11, 2010
Do I really have to tell you about this movie? Do I really? It's The Rock in a tu-tu. Remember when Hulk Hogan did that twenty years ago with Mr. Jefferson? Yeah, it's the same sort of premise. Big, burly guy goes way out of his element, but ends up shining. That's all I'm going to say besides kids will like it. I can't really go on. Sorry.
Phil H

February 24, 2010
Good fun little film this with plenty of funny little moments that you really gotta be a scrooge not to enjoy haha OK maybe abit too far there. I enjoyed this I must admit, its easy viewing with a happy feel good ending, sure its all very predictable and not very original but its still well made and has a good cast line up to save the day.

Mr 'The Rock' has now well proven himself as a much better comedy actor than hard man actor in my opinion, his performance here is nothing special but its pleasant and amusing (like the film) with his one to one with Billy Crystal near the start being the highlight of the film :)
Julie Andrews is rather bland and just reprising other films roles she has done, Merchant of BBC comedy fame 'The Office' is good as the wingless fairy and there's a nice small cameo from Seth Macfarlane of 'Family Guy' fame.

Leave your brain behind and enjoy the pretty costumes and obvious fairy jokes haha nice.
Apeneck F

February 4, 2010
nearly all of my flixster friends nixxed this (not interested) and so naturally i went to see if only to find out what all the fuss was about. and what it was was a family friendly (almost disney ... disney subsitute ... disney alternative ... disney-lite?) film with a messages like "keep on trying", "keep on smiling", "love yer family" and "dreams are important". not quite the melodrama of "she done him wrong" or "i'm gonna get you sucka" but does that make it bad? it came in practically by the back door as well, as if the production company was embarrassed despite the heavy hitters (family class) in the bullpen. i was neither embarrassed or insulted by it.
Jose Z

January 23, 2010
The Tooth Fairy follows the story of Derek Thompson (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson), a pro hockey player, nicknamed the Tooth Fairy for his ability to knock out other players' teeth, dashes the hopes of a young boy, he is ordered to one week's hard labor as the real Tooth Fairy. The only purpose of this movie is to entertain and let's say it accomplishes that goal with some funny moments and simple jokes. The cast has some interesting names like Dwayne Johnson that with this role does the impossible to make people laugh, and to be honest the funniest thing he did was wearing that pink tutu. Ashley Judd is good but I think that her role is a little wasted. Julie Andrews well what can I say, she is great in anything she does and at last but not least we saw Billy Crystal in a hilarious role, I really enjoy him.
In conclusion, Tooth Fairy is a entertaining movie, enjoy it with the family but you better wait for it on dvd.
EightThirty .

January 25, 2010
22/01/2010 (CINEMAS)

Another great choice for the family... Very funny and cheesy. Apparently RedBull isn't the only thing that gives you wings ha ha ha...

Although the story is very predictable, I don't mind sitting through an unoriginal plot as long as its done well, and frankly I can't complain cause it was a whole lot of fun watching.

The Rock acts like an egg and I guess that's why this film is a crack up!

[[..p.s.. stop watching the copied movies on the net. There's nothing quite like the Cinemas!!! ... Experience the real thing!!!! ^_^ !!!!!]] Ja
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 19, 2010
Pretty lame movie, has a few laughs in store in it but overall just sucks ass!!! I have never seen a Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson movie worse than this, his smile is so fake and he looked so faggotty in those fairy costumes seriously.

Derek Thompson is 'The Tooth Fairy,' a hard-charging minor league hockey player whose nickname comes from his habit of separating opposing players from their bicuspids. When Derek discourages a youngster's hopes, he's sentenced to one week's hard labor as a real tooth fairy, complete with the requisite tutu, wings and magic wand. At first, Derek "can't handle the tooth" ? bumbling and stumbling as he tries to furtively wing his way through strangers' homes?doing what tooth fairies do. But as Derek slowly adapts to his new position, he begins to rediscover his own forgotten dreams.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Anthony L

January 26, 2010
I had absolutely no plans to watch this movie but my 8 year old wanted to see it and it was on HBO. So I gave it a shot.....

It's about as bad as you'd think..... so much so that I don't even feel the need to run down all of things that you could easily predict within the first few minutes.

This really has nothing for adults, but it's a good movie for kids with some 8 year old level humor in there. Dwayne Johnson is charming, and you can't help but like him but overall this film was never going to be something adults would be clamoring to watch with their kids.

Then again that may have just been the plan.
anDy
anDy

May 30, 2010
The poster alone makes you want to drink bleach. Not to whiten your teeth any more, but to forbid you of ever seeing this.
And the movie starts out with this exact formula, and it continues with "tooth" and "wing" puns coming from left right and center (if you say left and right wing I may have to proceed on that bleach drinking offer. I can't take it anymore).
As puns are unacceptable in such large doses, and while the acting by some was really below sub par (and by some I mean the main man, Dwayne Johnson, who smiles as he "screams horrifically"), The Tooth Fairy wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Okay. The plot was extremely cliche and is able to be seen from continents away (even if you use shrinking paste it can be seen. In fact, even if invisible spray was used it can be seen). Dwayne is a hockey player known for knocking teeth out. Okay let's stop here for a second. How the hell does someone do this so often? And he doesn't even hit them directly in the face: He checks them into a board and their teeth fly out? Oh, and the Space Odyssey parody just reminded me of far superior movies I could be watching, and it was not funny. But yeah, it seems that he does this all the time as he remarks on how many minutes he has been in the penalty box, and he has his own chair in the box. That and he is named the tooth fairy. I don't know if the writers realize this or not, but teeth are not lego blocks. They do not detach instantly.

We're not even 10 minutes into the movie and I already have another complaint. The part where Dwayne crushes a kids hopes and dreams by saying he will never make it into the hockey league. First of all, you were an NHL has been who is in a lower league, so do not talk like you are at the height of your game. Secondly, seriously, who the heck talks like this to a kid? Nobody has so much arrogance to say this. If anything, the really arrogant people try to seem MORE like role models so the kids will admire them even more. Do the writers know anything about self absorption? Two strikes and the movie has barely begun.

We are now introduced to Dwayne's girlfriend, played by Ashley Judd, who is always lovely. But wait, is it already time for strike three? I think it is. While Dwayne is playing poker, he runs out of money and offers autographs to sell. This seems like an okay request, as it could sell some bit of money (not as much as an NHL player, but still.) The other players won't allow it, so what better idea than to GO UPSTAIRS AND STEAL THE MONEY LEFT UNDER YOUR GIRLFRIEND'S DAUGHTER'S PILLOW? Here's the worst part: At first I thought, okay, maybe he played the role of the rich guardian and left about 20 dollars or something, so okay, that's enough to play a hand with. But no. He takes ONE DOLLAR. You don't have ONE DOLLAR laying around so you take your girlfriend's child's dollar? Okay, Jesus it's 15 minutes and there's already 3 strikes.

Dwayne tries to tell the kid, after she goes ballistic (and who wouldn't at that age except for children with awful parents: Thank God she's Ashley's), that the tooth fairy is not real. Then he goes to sleep and he finds a penalty statement under his pillow. That... was rather easy to find, don't you think? He transforms into a fairy and he goes to fairy land. Julie Andrews in the form of a fairy says he has to be a fairy for two weeks as punishment.

So you know how it goes. Big hockey star turning into a fairy spontaneously ensues hi-jinks. But now, time for more complaints.

One point he transforms into a fairy at Ashley's house and he tells her to stay away as he is sick and doesn't look well. Wouldn't any caring loved one go and try to help the sick one? If I heard that someone was having an allergic reaction and said "no don't come here, I'm swollen and ugly", would I go "oh okay I'll stay away and wait for hours until he's okay"? No. It looks like we have reached that unknown variable that the tall gaunt fairy mentions in the movie: Strike four.

As I'm tired of ranting about this film, one last final complaint. It's not really a strike, but I still feel the need to ask about it. If he failed as a fairy until he did things "his way", meaning dressed up in a hockey outfit, how the hell does that change anything? Maybe he'll feel safer around cats with the padding, but that's it. He doesn't even wear skates to go faster. Suddenly he becomes what seems to be a professional at this? That isn't how life works. That's like saying I am a really bad president of a country, but hold on, let's try things MY way. I am now donned in assless chaps and a leather jacket with a cowboy hat and I have a whip. Suddenly, the country is debt free and the healthiest and safest country in the world. THAT ISN'T HOW LIFE WORKS.

Let's just wrap this up. He bonds with the kids, tries to become a better hockey player and fairy. He has a tantrum and loses everything. Then, as miraculously as the whole "my way" bs, he gets everything back. Happy ending.

Wait. One last thing to complain about, and this may just be the worst. How could I forget about it? Oh, Amnesia Dust. Yeah, amnesia dust. What they use in the film all the time. A little bit of dust makes people forget the last few seconds (as they claim but it seems to be they forget everything) of their lives. I say the "forget everything" bit as at one point, he used the dust on a family and they forget that they are even related. That... never mind. So at the end, he's done his fairy duty and he can go home. But not until Julie Andrews uses a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.
Wait, wrong movie.
But not until Julie Andrews uses amnesia dust to make Dwayne, and I'm not kidding, FORGET THAT HE WAS EVER A FAIRY. Seriously, so this ENTIRE FILM was for nothing? Nothing was solved? You can say "oh but he has a positive view on life now and is on good terms with everyone". Yeah, he could have done that in many other ways: Buying a cute dog that changes his life, finding out he has a kid and bonding with him, I dunno, Disney seems endless with these kinds of ideas. But then he forgets everything that made him the way he is? I wish I had some of that dust. Strike Five.

While I've just written the War and Peace on why this movie is destined to kill brain cells, it's actually not the worst movie I've seen. It is moronic, but at the same time you can tell that there is some charm put in it. Dwayne may not be Sean Penn, but you can tell that he had fun with this and he tried. There is some effort like most Disney movies (except for Old Dogs... Oh God...) put into this, which makes all the above horrible events somewhat harmless. It's mindless but at the same time a bit enjoyable. Would I watch it again? Nope. But I recommend it for families, as I don't think children are bitter like me and they won't notice the flaws. They'll appreciate the fun in it, as they should.

Final Rating: 2.2/10
Keep An Eye Out For: Some interesting cameos. Billy Crystal and Seth McFarlane, of all people. Actually, these are the only two people who made me laugh in this film (until Billy's creepy footprints statement... Watch it to find out), and I don't think Seth was even trying to be funny.
Sean G

August 30, 2010
Billy Crystal & Steven Merchant were the only redeeming things about this by the numbers flick.
Dannielle A

July 19, 2010
Oh my goodness what a waste of my life! Some parts were cute but the rest was just so cheesy. I can't believe such great actors associated themselves with this movie.