Slaughter

Slaughter Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

June 28, 2013
From The 8 Films To Die For Collection. This is a really solid entry in the after dark library inspired by a true story. The film centers on a young woman running from her abusive past and settles down with a new girl she meets on her family farm. But suspicious events begin to take place and disturbing family secrets are revealed culminating to a truly nightmarish outcome. Slaughter feels a little lifetime movieish at times but it really does excel the standard clichés of its storyline. The film feels intimate almost to the point that I'm not sure that I'd wanna meet Stewart Hopewell. It rides the same line of suspense as the strangers but delivering a little more bang for your buck. It's slightly slow moving but suspenseful and the performances are believable. It really is a little gem more of a psychological thriller than a straight out horror film the film will surely leave you creeped out when it's far over. 3 1/2 Stars 6-24-13
October 7, 2012
Most of the time I can appreciate these After Dark films for what they are- cheesy, low-budget horror starring mostly unknown actors. This one is all of those things, but in a bad way. The plot is practically stock, nothing I haven't seen a million times before. The acting is completely wooden. And it's just overall incredibly boring, and bloody rather than scary. There's nothing to like about this.
April 8, 2012
This wasn't as boring as everyone claims it is. The acting was mediocre and slow at times. It made me mad towards the end, because the killer got her way.
January 19, 2012
Slaughter finally delivers on the twists of plot and the twistedness, but it is after an almost interminable amount of female boding, one night stands, clubbing, and "are you sure you shouldn't call the guy you just screwed" conversations. Slaughter plays like Gossip Girls visit the farm until the bodies stop dropping. The film's rather weak attempts at creating pathos fall flat, and its few moments of genuine creepiness and brutality cannot elevate it above the garbage that it is.
April 27, 2009
I really wanted to like this movie but to be honest it fell pretty short even for me. Thank god I didn't have to pay money to see this movie.
adamcurnett
July 31, 2009
Father sexually abuses his daughter which in turn, produces one fucked up girlie. Sometimes secrets are best kept secret. Rule #1 trust no one! Even if they r a pretty troubled young teen..
AbnormallyAttractedToSin
June 23, 2009
This movie wasn't exactly silence of the lambs but it was interesting and worth the watch if you like horror the horror genre. One the after dark horror series "8 films to die for", one of the better offerings from this years group....BE WARNED... one of the darkest endings I have seen in a movie for years...
MovieBuff27
April 8, 2009
This is the 3rd film that I have seen so far in 2009's After Dark Horrorfest, all that I can say is what where they thinking? I mean this movie was so God awful I can't see how any sane person could actually agree to make it. Dull, boring, and pointless. I must have asked myself 10 times while watching this "should I just turn it off". But no I held out hoping for a nice ending, I should have turned it off. So the plot is based around this young woman who just moved to try and get away from her abusive boyfriend. Anyway he finds her so she decides to move in with a friend whose family owns a slaughter farm. Only she finds out that they are killing more than just pigs. It might sound interesting but it's not. Literally nothing happened the first hour and fifteen minutes. All that you get are these two girls who become fiends, talk about there messed up lives, and go to night clubs. Did I mention how boring this was? Acting, wretched. That's if you can call this acting all that they had to do was sit around and talk to each other for an hour and a half. Gore, nothing not one once. The very least that the filmmakers could have done for making me sit through this eye sore was give us a couple of good death scenes, but they don't even do that. All of the death is implied and the one or two scenes that they had a chance to make us squirm they cut out, I mean come on. And the ending I don't even know where to start. I think they thought that the ending was creative and would give the viewers something that they weren't expecting but no. All that it did was make me angry. Bottom Line Slaughter was one of the most boring pointless films I have ever seen. Trust me just don't watch this, just don't. I'm being serious this is so pointless and boring that if you sit through it you will hate yourself in the morning. If the past three films are what the rest of this years Afterdark Horrorfest is going to be then I don't see how it can continue. Skip this just skip it.
August 1, 2014
This is one of those movies that since you cant stand anyone, so having everyone die is a good thing- and also means you can stop watching the movie.
viletone
September 24, 2013
typical of course....doesn't make a whole lot of sense...you betcha....but if you do not have to pay for this and you get it on NETFLIX...than it is worth the watch.
January 31, 2013
Faith leaves home to escape from her abusive past, but she will find much more to fear after moving in to her new friend's secluded farmhouse. Stewart Hopewell's feature-length debut, SLAUGHTER, is a slow burn that mindfully builds on its mystery and suspense. Unfortunately, we never learn enough about either of the girls to invest in their individual plights, and the motivation behind the initial murders is dubious at best. Hopewell leaves several questionable subplots underdeveloped, and fails to tie them all back together into a satisfying conclusion. The killer's final solution is so rash, violent, and extreme that it is beyond belief, especially when so many plausible alternatives were left open to them. That isn't to say that SLAUGHTER is a poorly made film, however. Lucy Holt and Amy Shiels are both very good in the respective roles, and the clean cinematography lulls us in to a false sense of security as we enter increasingly dark and dangerous territory. With a few minor adjustments, SLAUGHTER could have made for a passable entry in survivalist horror, but the twists and turns are taken much too far given the serious tone.
September 21, 2012
This movie surprised me with its plot twists, character development, oddly heartwarming moments, and the solid logic that tied it all together. It comes across as a charmingly bittersweet movie that had an unfortunate collision with a semi-unique horror flick. I say unfortunate because the two don't mix quite right, and in the end I couldn't tell whether or not I was actually entertained. I'd like to say I enjoyed Slaughter, because up close it appears to be a rather well-made movie. But viewed as a whole it just seems confused, and so was I.
July 30, 2012
Not the best horror movies I've seen from After Dark, but was OK to check out
Dave J
November 8, 2011
Tuesday, November 8, 2011

(2008) Slaughter
HORROR

Straight-to-rental horror film starts out promising, about a teenage girl's attempts to be independent again from an abused and controlling boyfriend, finally settles to living on a farm with another teenage girl, holding with her some dark secrets of her own! It says that it's inspired by actual events, but the film gets more convoluted as the film progresses! This is one of those films where the protagonist is nosy on one area without checking other places full of coincidences!

1 out of 4 stars
Nukleopatra
September 28, 2011
After Dark Films needs to just get out of the horror business, and dive right into the really bad drama category. Lifetime Movie Network could use some competition.
David G.
September 9, 2010
Not even sure the word "boring" does it justice. It's an awful film, simply awful. A line in the trailer says, one of the worst crimes in American history, and I tell you what, you're not wrong. Releasing this film would certainly fall into that category.
marko s.
April 22, 2010
This movie sucks.What a waste of my time.I'm glad I just downloaded it and didnt waste any money on it.
jesse h.
February 12, 2010
wow,, what can i say... i truely enjoyed this one! I didnt go into this one expecting much,, and what i got was a nice litte horror flick worthy of sharing.
richard c.
December 3, 2009
A surprisngly solid genre effort. Thats more of a brutal thriller than an actual horror film. Slaughter claims to be based on true events and although it's plot feels a little far fetched. The films execution is suspenseful and a little melodramatic making for an entertaining view with a disturbing after taste.
Pallas
October 31, 2009
This movie wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. It's nothing new, but it's watchable. The writing and the acting could have been better.