Quadrophenia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quadrophenia Reviews

September 6, 2010
I loved this movie when I saw it on TV a couple years ago, but I'd really love to see it again because I can barely remember it.
May 26, 2008
Depicting the sort of youth subculture clashes that partially inspired Anthony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange", "Quadrophenia" captures the authentic, intoxicating spirit of teenage rebellion that Kubrick, with his cool detachment and over-rehearsed perfectionism, completely missed in his Burgess adaptation. By no means perfect, this is still a highpoint of '70s British cinema, and just about the only decent movie Sting had the good fortune to appear in. A pity, then, that the terminally underfunded British film industry forced so many of the enthusiastic cast to fritter away their talents in dreary sitcoms ("Three Up, Two Down", "Men Behaving Badly") and soap operas ("Eastenders", "The Bill"), a fate to which even Phil Daniels has lately succumbed. The contrived, simplistic plotting of the second half - particularly the chain of misfortune during which the hapless Jimmy (Daniels) loses his home, his job, his girlfriend, his mates, his scooter, his respect for the Ace Face (Sting) and, presumably, his life - is at odds with the film's admirably gritty realism. Ray Winstone is effectively cast against type as a sensitive Rocker, despite the fact that his character is little more than a hollow cipher, used to contrast old friendship with new enmity.
July 7, 2007
Watched this based on a fellow Flixter's recommendation and found it interesting. For those who don't know, it's the story of Jimmy, an angry, alienated young man in early 60's England who hangs with the "mods" and thus hates the "rockers". There's more to it than that, but that's the nutshell. I'm not a big Who fan, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I might have, but it was still worth watching. Being an American, I would have benefitted by some subtitles -- the accents are very heavy. Brutal in places, and there's a bit of nudity and sexual activity, but it is in no way erotic. As a whole this is much better than that heap of trash called Tommy, also a Who rock opera but with almost no redeeming value. Sting has a small part as a cool-as-ice dancer all the ladies love in the clubs, but who is very different in the outside world. And a VERY young Ray Winstone makes a short but important contribution to the film as a rocker acquaintance of Jimmy's.
½ July 27, 2007
I didn't get what was happening. Nor did I care. The actor's accents were thick. There were hardly any Who songs to keep it floating. The characters were not likeable. The settings were murky. A failure.
garyX
May 24, 2007
Mod favourite and stalwart of british cinema, it has a great soundtrack and is a decent examination of the tribalism of youth culture. It's a little self important and pretentious in places (not unlike your average teenager in fact!) but it has some great moments, particularly involving the relationship between childhood friends who find themselves "enemies".
November 9, 2006
A little disappointing but it's got a good soundtrack.
keith222
March 28, 2008
We are the mods, We are the mods, we are..we are...WE ARE THE MODS!@!@!
DrLappos
July 27, 2007
I always wanted to be a rocker...their mopeds were too limp.
September 10, 2012
I saw this as a teen and loved it. I saw it again recently, and still loved it, but I now think Jimmy is a schmuck, and the only really sympathetic character is Monkey.
April 17, 2008
Phil Daniels' brooding, angry performance is the heart and soul of the existentially-frustrated film about Mods vs. Rockers, youth vs. age, fitting in vs. standing out. His Jimmy Cooper is impulsive, sensitive and very confused about who he is and what he wants. Though this is supposed to be a commentary on a rebellious generation, his character is so volatile and uncivilized at times that one sees his dilemma as an appropriate product of his own adolescent foolishness. It is not the first rock opera by The Who, but it is the only one I have ever seen, and I thought it would have been a better film with less of their music. The redundancy of watching a scene unfold to musical narration describing exactly what is onscreen gets annoying. Still, the film is a smart, symbolic story of turbulent adolescence and an interesting sociocultural commentary on the times.
½ February 1, 2008
What a great movie, music by the Who. Great history about the Mods and the Rockers in the 60's, something that the US never hears about. Sting makes a few apperances
½ December 27, 2007
The quintessential British movie about the mod movement, with even a great 'who' soundtrack which was the basis.
½ January 5, 2013
Excellent film. Great soundtrack. Great cast. Brilliant storey a must see.
September 10, 2012
September 2, 2012
painful series of events, well done.
½ January 7, 2011
aka: "pete's semi-autobiography" date viewed: 6/14/10. positives: i'm one, can you see the real me, the punk meets the godfather, etc...the mod vs. rocker fight scene. scooters with mirrors. minuses: cockney accents. ending. verdict: recommended.
September 6, 2010
February 2, 2010
painful series of events, well done.
August 29, 2007
ist a very good movie.
March 16, 2009
take some blues and get on your scooter