69% The Maze Runner Sep 19

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Quadrophenia Reviews

AJ V

September 6, 2010
I loved this movie when I saw it on TV a couple years ago, but I'd really love to see it again because I can barely remember it.
Stephen M

May 26, 2008
Depicting the sort of youth subculture clashes that partially inspired Anthony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange", "Quadrophenia" captures the authentic, intoxicating spirit of teenage rebellion that Kubrick, with his cool detachment and over-rehearsed perfectionism, completely missed in his Burgess adaptation. By no means perfect, this is still a highpoint of '70s British cinema, and just about the only decent movie Sting had the good fortune to appear in. A pity, then, that the terminally underfunded British film industry forced so many of the enthusiastic cast to fritter away their talents in dreary sitcoms ("Three Up, Two Down", "Men Behaving Badly") and soap operas ("Eastenders", "The Bill"), a fate to which even Phil Daniels has lately succumbed. The contrived, simplistic plotting of the second half - particularly the chain of misfortune during which the hapless Jimmy (Daniels) loses his home, his job, his girlfriend, his mates, his scooter, his respect for the Ace Face (Sting) and, presumably, his life - is at odds with the film's admirably gritty realism. Ray Winstone is effectively cast against type as a sensitive Rocker, despite the fact that his character is little more than a hollow cipher, used to contrast old friendship with new enmity.
Cindy I

July 7, 2007
Watched this based on a fellow Flixter's recommendation and found it interesting. For those who don't know, it's the story of Jimmy, an angry, alienated young man in early 60's England who hangs with the "mods" and thus hates the "rockers". There's more to it than that, but that's the nutshell. I'm not a big Who fan, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I might have, but it was still worth watching. Being an American, I would have benefitted by some subtitles -- the accents are very heavy. Brutal in places, and there's a bit of nudity and sexual activity, but it is in no way erotic. As a whole this is much better than that heap of trash called Tommy, also a Who rock opera but with almost no redeeming value. Sting has a small part as a cool-as-ice dancer all the ladies love in the clubs, but who is very different in the outside world. And a VERY young Ray Winstone makes a short but important contribution to the film as a rocker acquaintance of Jimmy's.
Lafe F

July 27, 2007
I didn't get what was happening. Nor did I care. The actor's accents were thick. There were hardly any Who songs to keep it floating. The characters were not likeable. The settings were murky. A failure.
Dr Blood

June 23, 2007
The greatest British youth film ever made. Even if you know nothing about mods or rockers in the 1960s, you can still identify with Jimmy's ultimate discovery that the world he is trying to belong to is just as empty and phony as the one he is rebelling against.
garyX
garyX

May 24, 2007
Mod favourite and stalwart of british cinema, it has a great soundtrack and is a decent examination of the tribalism of youth culture. It's a little self important and pretentious in places (not unlike your average teenager in fact!) but it has some great moments, particularly involving the relationship between childhood friends who find themselves "enemies".
Michael G

November 9, 2006
A little disappointing but it's got a good soundtrack.
keith222
keith222

March 28, 2008
We are the mods, We are the mods, we are..we are...WE ARE THE MODS!@!@!
DrLappos
DrLappos

July 27, 2007
I always wanted to be a rocker...their mopeds were too limp.
davefischer
September 10, 2012
I saw this as a teen and loved it. I saw it again recently, and still loved it, but I now think Jimmy is a schmuck, and the only really sympathetic character is Monkey.
April 17, 2008
Phil Daniels' brooding, angry performance is the heart and soul of the existentially-frustrated film about Mods vs. Rockers, youth vs. age, fitting in vs. standing out. His Jimmy Cooper is impulsive, sensitive and very confused about who he is and what he wants. Though this is supposed to be a commentary on a rebellious generation, his character is so volatile and uncivilized at times that one sees his dilemma as an appropriate product of his own adolescent foolishness. It is not the first rock opera by The Who, but it is the only one I have ever seen, and I thought it would have been a better film with less of their music. The redundancy of watching a scene unfold to musical narration describing exactly what is onscreen gets annoying. Still, the film is a smart, symbolic story of turbulent adolescence and an interesting sociocultural commentary on the times.
danolove
July 28, 2007
I have owned this movie 3 or 4 times. More off beat stuff to show that main stream is not alway the best.
johnwalsh1
February 20, 2007
last saw this in 1979. I watched it over weekend and it it is a weel made flick that stands the test of time. Probably holds the record for most "Fuck off"'s in a motion picture
dooritor
July 3, 2006
icky. so terible. if it wasnt for the who music i would never have finished it. if hes a skitzo... then im severely beyond quadrophenia. he was normal! and boring. it was like Tommy mixed with Mean Streets.. wtf NO. tommy is amazing, this the who should really take their name off of becuz it definatly lost some of my respect. so awful. never pay money to watch this! but it did have some SWEET music, but jus buy the cds. and it all works out.