Joel Silver Hopes JLA Might Save Wonder Woman

The golden lariat dangles in front of us once again.

Of all the comic books not to be made into movies yet, Wonder Woman may be the most frustrating to fans. Even kick-ass action producer Joel Silver and female empowerment writer/director Joss Whedon couldn't make it happen. But with Wonder Woman poised to be part of the Justice League of America movie, that could give Silver a way back into a WW solo project.

"They're going to make the Justice League movie and were kind of pausing on Wonder Woman now," said Silver. "Let them go ahead and do that picture. It's all here at Warner Bros. as well. If that comes together there, Wonder Woman will be a part of that story. Then we'll see where we go from there."

While Silver's mum on the details of Wonder Woman's project's script development, he simply remains optimistic. "We struggled with it for a while. I hope that we can solve it and make it one day."

Comments

Weicher

Alvaro San Martin

Wonder Woman is one of the less interesting comic-books I can remember. If they're going to shoot a film about her, they'd better focus on 1987 George Perez reboot. It's the only story arc of the character which is really worthy.

Nov 7 - 02:21 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

I'm not sure how they'll make Wonder Woman now without putting her in that ridiculously impractical costume.

Nov 7 - 02:27 AM

angleman

Chris Hayes

Yeah, that's bright. Why not throw away the most instantly recognisable super heroine costume in the world. Whether people are fans of WW or comics in general, pretty much EVERYONE knows what Wonder Woman looks like and who she is - primarily through her appearances on the 70's TV show and things like justice league and super friends.
As soon as you discard the costume she becomes what - just another vanilla female crime fighter. How many Aeon Fluxs, Ultraviolets, Elektra's and Catwomans does it take before people get it in their thick skulls that if you want to make a movie about a popular character - don't discard every element that MAKES that character who they are.
It always amazes me when people bang on about impractical costumes. Batman's cape is practical? Superman wearing his underwear on the outside is practical? Spiderman wearing a lary red and blue costume helps to blend in to the back ground does it? Of course not! If all you want to see is practical then you obviously don't GET super heroes. If it was real life, every single hero and heroine that has ever been created would be wearing Kevlar body armour. Wow....hold me back...must see THAT film...
I actually don't WANT holywood to make a Wonder Woman film because it is guaranteed that they will right royally screw it up. (Catwoman anybody?). But the lessons from the past are there to be learned. When you screw around with the source material and especially iconic costumes, you end up with films like the Cathy lee Crosby WW film. Now...who the hell remembers that? Nobody. But they ALL remember Lynda Carter in THAT costume...

Nov 13 - 12:04 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Same could be said for Captain America. He should be in leather.

Nov 7 - 04:33 AM

xenogears

J'rome Holmes II

I thought part of what made a superhero super is doing all that crime fighting in an impractical costume. Thats all Batman has going for him cause he has no super powers. He's super cause of the funny rubber costume. I'm just curious as to who will play wonder woman. D-cups are a must.

Nov 7 - 05:12 AM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

Sorry, I don't mean to bust your chops. But Batman is super because he is a super detective and Batman's costume (I'm sure you know) serves for a fear inducing purpose. But I agree with the statement above that WW will look ridiculous in her costume, unless they do the movie 300 hundred style.

Nov 7 - 05:42 AM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

Nov 7 - 05:42 AM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

I agree that the swimsuit attire is a bit of a primary-hued FTFW, but I read up on her Wiki bio, and it had a picture of her in a gleaming silver suit of armor, and instantly I thought that it should be her costume. She can still wear the patriotic one-piece underneath as her armor is shredded in battle, then at least she can say she tried to look stylish. ;)

Captain America, Green Lantern, and Batman are the only superheroes whose outfits make sense in relation to their causes.

Nov 7 - 06:10 AM

blank blank

bob jones

thank you vortex&vertigo... ive been saying forever that the only way to make this movie without it being complete cheese is 300 style (i say that for captain america too, but to a lesser extent). Amazonians = Female Spartans. if they go for a "realistic" wonder woman movie where she is a girl fighting crime in the big city while sipping on cosmopolitans... ugh

even though i consider myself a little knowledgable in comics, i could not tell you who wonder woman's main villain is. anyone?

Nov 7 - 06:25 AM

xenogears

J'rome Holmes II

No disrespect but I'm tired of hearing sbout this detective crap. How is he a super detective? Did he take some kind of super detective test? Did he go to super detective school? Is there an S.A.T. for detectives that he aced? Super detective compared to who? Columbo? And sure it is fear enducing but is also ridiculous. I'm just saying in general all the outfits are ridiculous and thats why we love them.

Nov 7 - 06:28 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Batman supposedly has an uber IQ, hence he makes a super detective. He's supposed to make his own gadgets as well, as far as I understand. That was my one complaint about the new Batman movie. I love the movie, but they did split the 'genius' Batman into the Bale Batman and then Freeman's character, who is the inventor (and maybe a genius as well). It works for me, but I'm a fan of intelligent and strategic super-hero types, and they reduced or took away this aspect of Batman in Batman Begins. You could say that we don't know that Bale's Batman isn't a genius, but they definately didn't portray him this way.

Nov 7 - 11:16 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I was wondering (no pun intended) that, myself-- who is WW's 'Joker?'

Assuming there isn't really a villain ready to go, I think they should make her enemy a man. Seriously, I can almost imagine this sounds misogynistic, but female supervillains kind of bite, in a bad way-- to say nothing of the fact that there are almost none of them (coincidence? Not likely) WW is supposed to be almost (if not as) strong and invulnerable as Superman, so there should really be no reason why she can't go head-to-head with a dude. In my nightmares, I have visions of Sharon Stone as 'randomly indestructible platinum *****' from everybody's favorite, Catwoman. Have some balls with this, literally.

Nov 7 - 06:36 AM

Martin_C

Martin Coitinho

You know what (actually who) could save Wonder Woman? Joss Whedon... oh, wait... right... he wasn't mainstream enough I guess...

Nov 7 - 07:45 AM

kungfu_sage

Ian Turner

she's not invulnerable, if she gets shot or anything like that she can still die, but she has those amazing gauntlets made out of Amazonia to block bullets with, talk about impractical.

Nov 7 - 08:05 AM

moviemonkey2

J P

I'm amazed this movie hasn't already been made with 2 sequels. A fine lookin' woman in a Wonder Woman costume ranks up there with the Princess Leia slave outfit as far as fanboy wet dreams go. Who cares if the suit is "impractical"? It's friggin hot!

That asides, there's a distinct lack of heroines in the Super Hero movie market, and WW would be the ultimate. Thus far there's only been female anti-heroes (Elektra, Catwoman) and their movies have been horrible beyond belief. Give WW the Spider-Man treatment, bright colors, authentic costume, and real super powers, and this movie will destroy in the box office. How the hell is this not getting made? How can studios agree to make Saw 5, remakes of High Noon and The Day the Earth Stood Still, but not make a kick *** WW movie? They must be smoking crack.

Nov 7 - 10:29 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Nov 7 - 11:16 AM

The Arrow

Otto Rodriguez

WW doesn't have many male enemies aside from Darksied who messed with everybody in the DC universe. I think maybe Captain Wonder and Dr. Psycho come to mind but the most impressive villains are Giganta, Fury, Cheetah and Circe. I hope one of them makes it to the big screen.

Nov 7 - 11:29 AM

EdwardBlake

Tyler Durden

The only manifestation of Wonder Woman I found interesting was the cartoon 'Justice League' version. Where she was like Superman, but badass and rough around the edges. Kind of the balance between Batman and Superman.

Nov 7 - 12:24 PM

xenogears

J'rome Holmes II

So by that logic, steven hawkings is a super detective and therefore fit to be a super hero though he has no powers. I get what your saying and what i said was just a joke. But really he's super cause he's smart. So einstein was a super hero to. And he's rich enough to sit on his *** and make gadgets....that is just a someone with too much time and money on there hands. So essentially he is super because he is rich enough to afford gadgets and smart enough to get a few clues. How about being super because you have super powers beyond normal mortals. Or because you are an amazonian who kicks *** in a bathing siute that gonna show the girls if you bend over to far :)

Nov 7 - 02:04 PM

BrianInSD

Brian Gaul

It's too bad Russ Meyer died as he would have been the ideal director for a kickass Wonder Woman movie.

Nov 7 - 04:41 PM

RoadDogXVIII

Michael Zimmerman

Hey, guys. If you have any ideas for the "Justice League of America" that need to be put out there, I have a website where you can submit them (http://members.aol.com/roaddogxviii/justiceleague.htm). I've got some pretty good suggestions so far (I agree, Brandon Routh and Christian Bale should return as Batman and Superman respectively), and Bea Arthur was casted as Granny Goodness. Submit any ideas by e-mailing me at RoadDogXVIII@aol.com or hitting me up at MySpace @ http://www.myspace.com/smfanmichael. Every opinion counts, so don't feel any votes you make are embarassing.

Nov 7 - 08:13 PM

thereign

lance berry

Wonder Woman's "main" villain, sadly, is the Cheetah--a woman gifted with the powers, senses and ferocity of a jungle cat. The only other being which could qualify as an arch-nemesis(and a far better choice for a WW movie) is the god of war, Ares. In the fantastic George Perez reboot years ago, Ares attempted to destroy the world of man, and Wonder Woman had to face a gauntlet of mythological creatures to get to him and finally stop him.

Another cool aspect of Wonder Woman's personality is that since she is an Amazon, she isn't constricted by the standard rules of modern civilization, and KILLS her opponents when she has to. Although they're probably going to go for some talentless twentysomething nobody to play her, in my opinion the only person who even LOOKS like Wonder Woman is Catherine Zeta-Jones. She should definitely play the Amazonian princess.

Nov 7 - 11:11 PM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

thereign - Re: villains - This is another reason why it's wrong to try and set the story in present day. If they make it "period" and set it during WWII like the older comics, it might go down better... Make it look like The English Patient, but with liberal amounts of asskicking. Heck... it might even apeal more to female viewers then... something few of these movies attempt to do.

JLA kind-of ruins any chance of a WW movie being able to stand well on its own.

Nov 8 - 12:17 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office