Wonder Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonder Woman Reviews

June 9, 2012
Hopefully this is at least some sort of inspiration for the impending live-action feature...Excellent!
August 1, 2011
As good as an animated origin Wonder Woman film is going to get. Honestly though, I have very little interest in the idea of a feminazi Utopian island created by Greek gods and the warrior princess who prances around on it.

I just find the idea of Wonder Woman so... obnoxiously obsessed with outdated, elementary, oversimplified "gender wars", but alas, this is a pretty decent animated film.

Not only does it humor and have a good script but it has character development, complexities, and relationships that actually perpetuate the story. I mean sure, it all dwindles down to a stupid smash-and-bash ending but c'mon, it's an animated super-hero film.

Speaking of, the animation is absolutely astounding, some of the best stuff I've seen from the "West" (Japanese still easily step all over this, unfortunately.) which is essentially the highlight of the film. Watching Diana and her gal pals beat shit up is great.

Let's just say, this particular genre's standards have been pretty low. Making this an achievement on DC's part.
deano
½ July 29, 2009
The DC Comics animated action film is outstanding, especially the fight scenes. The dialogue is good, as is the voice acting including Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion, Alfred Molina, Rosario Dawson, Virgina Madsen and more, and all suit the characters very well. I also liked the story, though how accurate it is to the DC comic book. I do know it's nice to have a strong female superhero character who can hold her own with any guy, and I don't just mean physically or intellectually. There is actually a pretty funny scene which illustrates this point, but I won't get into it here.
½ April 28, 2009
Wonder Woman: It's all true, isn't it, Steve? Everything my mother warned me about man's world is true. She even told me you'd try to seduce me, and I, like a fool, told her, "For now, let's only expect the best from the pilot." You tried to get me drunk. As if you could out drink an Amazon, you pathetic lightweight.
Col. Steve Trevor: [Sees thugs approaching] Oh, crap.
Wonder Woman: [Unaware of the thugs] Yes, I knew exactly what you were trying to do. And please don't use that language around me.

Another superhero entry from the Warner Premier animated film studio. Its pretty solid as an origin story for Wonder Woman, providing plenty of fast paced story telling, action, and humor. A solid voice cast as well.

After a big battle opening, we are taken to the mystical island of Themyscria, the home of the Amazons (super hot Greek warrior women), where a Unites States pilot, Steve Trever, voiced by Nathon Fillion, has crash landed. It is soon decided that he must be escorted back by the Amazon princess Diana, voiced by Keri Russell. Problems arise as Diana must also deal with the Greek god Ares, voiced by Alfred Molina, who has escaped from his imprisonment and seeks revenge against the Amazonians.

The story is very tightly written, putting a lot of focus on the Amazon's distrust of men in general, but as far as accuracy goes, this flick does a very good job at putting all of the elements of Wonder Woman together effectively, even if her invisible jet just sort of enters the scene without much explanation.

As mentioned, the voice cast is pretty well assembled, also including Rosario Dawson, Virginia Madsen, and Oliver Platt. Molina does good in the villain role. Russell is standard as the hero, but bouncing off of Fillion, who is quite enjoyable, makes it all work nicely enough.

Hippolyta: Here the true nature of men is laid bare. What other depraved thoughts must you be thinking?
Col. Steve Trevor: God, your daughter's got a nice rack.

This film also certainly balances its PG-13 rating well enough to include a lot of very violent battle scenes, which certainly make no excuses about the uses of swords and arrows against flesh and blood people (as well as minotaurs, zombie babes, and griffins).

I really quite enjoyed this entry into the animated DC catalog.

President's Adviser: Mr. President, the threat has been neutralized.
The President: How?
President's Adviser: It seems by a group of armored supermodels.
Beefy
March 9, 2009
Another solid film from Warners Animated, this one is a bit more violent than expected and has a welcome, though slightly incongruous, sense of humor courtesy of Nathan Fillion's line deliveries.
February 28, 2009
Wow. So good that it reduces the need for a live action version. The animation is stunning and the story fantastic. We're taken from Wonder Woman's origins through to her current status as hero. Mythology of all sorts rears it head, adding sumptuous visuals and original action sequences. There are planes, winged beasties, huge battles and more. The film touches on themes of sexism, but also celebrates femininity without becoming feminist propaganda. The vocal cast is just as good as any Hollywood blockbuster. Molina adds his vocal chords to another villainous comic book role. Fillion is his charming and heroic self and the ladies are all feisty but also carry a certain amount of wisdom. I have a feeling that animation is the perfect medium for Wonder Woman, and I hope many sequels are to come.
June 9, 2013
Wonder Woman finally gets her own feature in this fantastical adventure from DC Universe. When a U.S. Air Force pilot crashes on the mysterious island of Themyscira, the queen's daughter Diana is chosen to return him to his home, but along the way she discovers that Ares, the God of War, has been unleashed and is gathering an army. Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion, Oliver Platt, and Rosario Dawson lead the voice cast and give solid performances. However, the sexist tones of the material are handled rather awkwardly and interfere with the storytelling. Additionally, the animation style is somewhat crude and lacks depth. While it has problems, Wonder Woman is still an impressive and exciting look at one of DC's most unique characters.
April 26, 2009
Another good animated production of DC title if only the WB were this competent with their live action stuff (barring DK and BB). A faithful if slightly modified version of the Wonder Woman story with plenty of action and violence.
October 9, 2014
I love most of these straight-to-DVD releases of animation that both DC and Marvel have been putting out. Although Wonder Woman isn't at the top of my list of comic heroines, to complete my collection, I had to get it. And I watched it. The animation was good. I'm not sure why DC felt obligated to throw in some gratuitous language and sexual innuendo to give it a PG-13 rating, but it's your basic Wonder Woman origin story, modernized. Keri Russell is NOT woman enough for the voice and seems miscast. Otherwise, it was adequate story combined with excellent animation. If you like this kind of stuff, you won't be disappointed, but if this isn't your cup of tea, don't waste your time.
June 14, 2014
Gal Gadot and the filmmakers of the upcoming live action films need to watch this. This is how you introduce and create a female superhero that will rival, and probably surpass, her male counterparts.
January 27, 2014
Here you go, Hollywood! Here's your blockbuster Wonder Woman movie. Seriously, adapt this thing. It's perfect! I'm sick of all the tired excuses for why there isn't a live action Wonder Woman movie. It just sounds like lazy sexism at this point. If this CARTOON can successfully tell the story of Princess Diana Hollywood should be able to as well.
½ April 11, 2013
Better than average animated retelling of Wonder Woman's origin story. Well acted by the voice actors. Not bad animation, but on the limited side; definitely not cutting edge. The story moves at a pretty good pace, however it would have been nice to get to know some of the other Amazons better. Worth your time.
½ October 19, 2012
I liked the movie. After watching the series and other cartoons for years, I believe it did a good job.
December 27, 2011
"Wonder Woman" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Great) ...

Extremely well done. When DC animation are on their game, they make some of the best cartoons of all time.
February 7, 2012
"Wonder Woman" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Great) ...

½ December 6, 2011
DC has been doing an amazing job with animation. While I'm not a huge Wonder Woman fan, they did a great job of telling a great back story, great action, some pretty funny light humor, and actually showing some realistic violence, but not going over bloody or violent. It is a very quick film and the plot doesn't really give much to stand. Not really a lot of characters either. A quick and straight forward film that is entertaining to a certain degree. Would have worked a bit better with some other classic DC characters maybe.
August 20, 2008
It was really good. I just really wish Warner would stop trying to compress all their direct to movies to fit into 72 minutes. I think if it had more time it would have really got into the characters and made the movie into something really great. But for what they did have it was fantastic!
May 18, 2010
I was shocked and amazed at how well put together this movie is. I've certainly been let down at the recent DC offerings I've seen, but this was...something else. If ever they get that live action film together, they will need to take a strong look at this film.

The script was absolutely engaging and clicked on all cylinders.
Pacing: It was in no rush to get Diana into the costume and by this time you've spent a good amount of time understanding the Amazons and their philosophies as well as Steve's manly slightly piggish personality.
Comedy:There's really well written comedic scenes between Diana and Steve that take advantage of the film's PG-13 rating. One of the best being Steve and Diana at a bar introducing her to tequila and trying to get her drunk. Bad idea.
Action: This really is the most or 2nd most violent DC animated movie only rivaled by the brutal Superman:Doomsday. They knew they were warriors and treated them as such. Therefore, beheadings and stabbings are commonplace!
Chemistry: Between animated characters? Well, I chalk this up to the vocalizations of Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion who can't do a darn thing wrong. But it's there, and it's...charming. Alfred Molina at first doesn't resonate as much as Ares, but he definitely grows on you.
Animation: The still shots of this movie online don't do it justice. At first glance it does look...ugly. Almost "boxlike". But seeing it in motion it's one of the most fluid animations I've seen in a long time. And yes, there are a few 'cheesecake' shots for fanservice that I thought were laugh-out-loud funny.
GirlPower Message? Check. It's there, but it doesn't hit you over the head as much as you think it would. She's definitely the role model women want to emulate.
Overall some people have an issue with some of the adult humor of having a "rack" or castration, but it is PG-13 and you shouldnt assume because it has a comic character that it WILL be aimed for children. I normally wouldn't think of giving this a whole 5 stars. But the more I thought of it; why not?
I'm going out and buying this now.
½ July 17, 2009
Watched this out of boredom but it was really good . I would not say it's a kids movie . Also close to the end they had a cool army of darkness type thing happen gotta love that . Look at me ramble and I am not even a wonder woman fan .
July 16, 2009
FINALLY!!! They did a flick for Superman, they did a flick for Batman. . .and many other comic book heavyweights, but now comes a fully animated movie for Wonder Woman and boy oh boy does this flick deliver!!! The casting director should really get an award for the voice actors in this film. Kerri was great for Diana/Wonder Woman, and Virginia Madsen was PERFECT for Queen Hippolyta, but Alfred Molina was awesome for Ares. You'll love the action, as we all know Wonder Woman can hold her own. You'll also love the story. I recommend it to all Flixters