Global Metal

No Score Yet

Global Metal Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65 TheDudeLebowski65
June 9, 2010
An awesome follow up to Metal a Headbanger's Journey. This film follows metalhead Sam Dunn while he discovers the impact of the globalization of metal and how many countries have their own unique twist on the Metal genre. In this documentary, we get a taste on Metal Culture in different parts of the world. Sam Dunn has done a great job at exploring and documenting the Metal culture around the globe. Not only does he do a great job, but he sheds a light at various form,s of metal that most metalheads ignore. Ever since I've seen this film I've bee listening to a few bands documented in this documentary.The film shows an aspect of what the music represents for most people in other countries, most notably Arab countries. Metal music has been banned and frowned upon in Muslim countries, and we get to see how metalheads cope with that in this documentary. Sam Dunn has crafted another amazing film with Global Metal, and it's my understanding that we are one metal nation, this film gives us a taste of the long lasting brotherhood that Metal has brought us. As a diehard metalhead myself, I've always felt like I was alone, that I was the only one to love Metal, but with Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and it's follow up, Global Metal, Iam not alone. Outsiders will never understand why metal music is grand to us, they'll dismiss it, and make fun of us in the process. But I can tell you that it represents the release of freedom, it helps you forget the bullshit of everyday life and makes you feel empowered. Global Metal takes us on a journey into the world impact of Heavy Metal music. Definitely an amazing follow up the Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. This film does a great job and showing the different types of fan bases in the metal genre, not a film to miss if you love metal.
Michael S
July 22, 2010
Excellent documentary exploring Heavy Metal music around the globe... making an army of fans and an impact within cultures and religions that you wouldn't expect.

The film will make Metalheads of the western world appreciate their freedoms while at the same time will (in my opinion) give those not into metal a greater appreciation for the genre.

From the creators of "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey."
Bannan i
April 25, 2009
After watching Metal: A Headbanger's Journey I was quite impressed...knowing that metal was developed from various things...and thusly I had to check out this one 'cause as Dunn explains he had a lot of emails post Metal and realized that the outreaches of such a genre...is pretty far. Especially, with how the various countries needed it for their own liberation, expression and relief of oppression. I had no idea that it went that far. This was a very informative and interesting documentary. Dunn and McFayden do it again! Anthropology rocks. Lol.

Review, TBC.
Emily A
July 15, 2008
I really loved the subject matter and execution of Global Metal. It was so interesting to see how malleable the singular sound of metal can be, and how different cultures can appropriate it and express thier unique worldview with it. I was especially interested to see Middle Eastern metal and the dark places from whence the music comes. In a part of the world where people walk down the street and blow themselves up, demons aren't exactly the imagery that scares you. Brazillian metal was also interesting to see explored, and I thought it was interesting that traditional instruments from any culture can be incorporated into the music without compromising any of its heaviness or scariness. I've always been aware of the camaraderie between metalheads, but it was especially nice to see that this rapport crosses borders and goes global.
John B
½ January 20, 2010
So what are McFadyen and Dunn going to do once they run out of heavy metal subjects to follow? Pretty well executed but it feels like an excuse for the boys to meet their heroes through the guise of a documentary.
Anastasia B
½ March 31, 2010
Very good, very informative, and for sure a must-see for all Metal fans, anyplace they may come from! It's VERY interesting to see how the metal sound shifts and changes from Brazil to China, from Japan to U.S.A., and from Britain to Israel, all around the globe, in places you thought sure there can't be anyone interested in playing heavy guitar riffs!
Lee K
½ May 26, 2009
Like another poster to this film said it wasn't as good as metal a headbangers journey, however it was quite an interesting documentary pertaining to all the countries out there in our world that surprisingly wave their fists up in the air and flash the occasional devil with his horns hand sign, metal studs and bullet belts all the trinkets tht come with being a hard metal fan. India surprised me the most with their religious beliefs and so forth, didnt strike me as having a huge metal base, however they do, worth a watch
Wu C
½ November 13, 2008
Pretty much the same as the first one. My friend worked on this one here in Toronto.
Christopher B
½ November 12, 2008
I really liked the first doc, but this one is amazing. Showing metalheads around the world is a fantastic idea, plus the viewer is given insight into some countries he/she may have never looked into themselves. One of the things I love most about both these documentaries is rather than choose the outrageous or over the top people to showcase (which would be the easy choice) the filmmakers interview what seem to be genuinely nice people who are well spoken and seemingly intelligent. Granted, I love Heavy Metal Parking Lot, but it's great to hear how metal affects folks around the globe. A great doc that fans and non-fans of metal should enjoy.
ChthoniC ChthoniC ½ January 26, 2010
A great documentary about Metal music and it's followers, it helped me to open my mind a little more. Many more countries Sam Dunn could cover in the next installment. It's also a great way to discover metal bands of different regions and cultures. Plus it's amazing to see the amount of love for Iron Maiden!
Tim W ½ September 11, 2014
Educational and entertaining. Being a Canadian metalhead, this was really insightful about how metal fits in with other countries and cultures around the world; how it plays an important part in societies.
Dave T ½ October 13, 2012
An excellent oveview of the cultural impact that 'heavy metal' music has had in non-Western countries.
Ihab B ½ May 4, 2012
As with all sequels, it's not as fun as the original, but it is made with an amazing level of care.
Scott B April 15, 2012
Way, WAY better than Headbanger's journey.
Kurt G January 20, 2012
A great collection of views towards Metal, rock-culture and artistic expression in general all wrapped up within a neat presentation of cultures around the globe, excluding North America. A variety of name-dropping offered me the opportunity to learn not only of the historical timeline of metal in culture, but also various sub-genres of metal and the bands representing them. The topic of the nature of freedom and oppression is very prevalent and the prejudice towards metalheads is also expressed through the documentary. I learned a lot and appreciate the genre a lot more than I did before watching this. Also didn't know the film-maker (Sam Dunn) is a fellow Canadian. I would recommend this film to anyone who wishes to understand rock culture and culture through a greater scope.
Momchil A September 16, 2011
?????? ???????????? ???? ?? ????? ??????? ?? ?????. ?????? ???? ?? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? ????? ? ????? ??????? ???? ? ????? :)
Cinema Division Inc. Cinema Division Inc. ½ September 9, 2011
I enjoyed this film but felt it seemed a bit rushed, like he had to get someplace before i wanted that section of the movie to end,I would have loved for him to explore a little more in some of the places he visited and get more in depth with the metal scene in that area and maybe showcase some more bands that were making a scene there. I love the fact that metal music reaches so many people and changes there lives for the better and brings people together.Sam Dunn's narration in the movie is good, his voice never gets old and never makes you wish he would shut up,The interaction between him and the people he interviews is cool and it seems as if they feel comfortable with each other. I love metal music i just wish more of it was showcased in this film, overall if you like or love metal you should enjoy this film.
Frankie R ½ August 1, 2011
Africa and Australia should have had their own segments, that hindered this. But metal united, all over the world! It brings a massive smile to my face =)
CoolYoda CoolYoda April 10, 2011
The antropological work is excellent, as well as the musical. For cinema lovers who are also keen on good music, it is always good to have a nice film about it. Great work, Sam Dunn.
Timothy O April 3, 2011
I didn't enjoy this as much as his previous film, however it's still a good documentary and is very educational even for me XD it struggled to keep my attention as much as Headbanger's Journey however