It's Complicated - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's Complicated Reviews

November 20, 2011
Yes the general plotline is predictable but the brilliant performances from Baldwin, Martin and Streep overshadow all that. The most enjoyable romantic comedy I've seen in a while.
hunterjt13
June 30, 2011
It's actually not that complicated: a woman has an affair with her ex-husband while engaging in a budding courtship with her architect.
I haven't seen all of Nora Ephron's films, but what strikes me about the ones I have seen are the reaction shots. In this film especially, every reaction shot displays the actor's pearly whites. It seems like people in Nora Ephron films are grotesquely, annoyingly happy all the time. And while this may seem like the ramblings of a hopeless cynic to some of you, I suggest that Ephron's emotional palette is restricted, and thus the stories she can tell and the notes the actors can play are also restricted. After all, the characters in this film are often dealing with heavy relationship-busting issues, but the shots in this film only display "aw-shucks" disappointment and life-is-beautiful glee.
Overall, Nora Ephron is now on my list of directors to avoid, and actors as good as Meryl Streep and Steve Martin can't come to the rescue.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
A great performance from Meryl Streep that has you laughing along with her and leaves you with a smile on your face. Shows you can have fun at whatever age. But with some consequences! A must see!
½ January 3, 2010
Making it extremely cheesy and over-dramatic makes it worse than what it would have been. It's Complicated has a simple plot and that's something I favor, but at the same time it's got nothing to hold your interest. Besides being predictable, the execution is so clumsy and numb that I'd to struggle to stay awake throughout the movie. Of course, this didn't belong to one of my favorite genres, but I've seen way better than this one in its genre. The sad part is that I still gotta watch such kind of movies 'coz some (influential) people feel that the type of movies I'm addicted to can have an adverse effect on my (already "you guess what") thoughts!!!
April 28, 2011
Nancy Meyers sickens me. Her turgid dialogue, her inexplicable need to stay relevant and "hip" to the teen crowd with naked webcam chats and texting, her richy rich rich settings that look like they came out of a Better Homes and Gardens catalogue - can't stand her. The only reason I got through this movie is because of Meryl Streep. It feels like a tug-of-war between class/sass and ass.
DreamExtractor
March 3, 2011
Not really funny, but was a good movie and I love Alec Baldwin
erika250
½ February 3, 2011
i did not like the plot and not good acting.
maxthesax
November 26, 2010
Let me get this out of the way first off - Something's Gotta Give this ain't - not even close.

However, you really can't go to far astray with Streep - who could make folding laundry into an oscar worthy performance. Here she is given a nice juicy role as a divorced empty nester who has taken what live has given her and made a nice comfortable life for herself, both financially and emotionally. 10 years after her divorce, she's finally come to terms with it, but then her ex, in a wonderful, earnest yet comic performance by Alec Baldwin, re-enters her life.

That is the central setup - how Streep and Baldwin circle around each other, reconnecting in spite of, or perhaps because of, all the old baggage. Each knows the other better than anyone else could, so they know how to push each other's buttons.

There are a couple of requisite scenes of the "girl's club", all laughter and sexy banter... I wonder, does this stuff really happen in real life? Or is this just a way for script writers to inject humour into the film?

Along with the "girl's club", this type of film is required to show "the children" - cardboard cutouts who you forget in an instant (except to notice that the young son is in Weeds) - who are there just as filler - showing concern and perhaps hinting at a "hurt" caused by the divorce (ho hum).
Although I will mention that the performance of the son in law is for the most part tasty, if a bit too touchy-feely.

The complicated part of the title comes when Steve Martin, the archetect in charge of Streeps home remodel and a divorcee himself, becomes interested in Streep. There are some very nice, natural moments between the two, but I found Martin's overall performance to be oddly off somehow - trying for the poignant "I'm still hurt" riff, but it somehow just doesn't gel.

There is an extended scene involving a party where Streep decides to take a toke of a little something that Baldwin had given her earlier - she immediatly becomes stoned, and when she offers some to Martin, her date for the evening... let's just say the writer should be shot for subjecting the audience to this lame and obvious attempt at levity.

In reality, this isn't a "bad" film - how could it be with Mz Oscar in a role that she can have some fun with, and truth be told the film is "right" whenever Baldwin is on screen, but while there are certain "adult" truths revealed here, I couldn't help but thinking that they always seem to make this type of film about upper class, successful people - I wonder how this would have played if Streep was a struggling single mom in middle America, Baldwin a car salesman just holding on to his job, and Martin maybe a roto-rooter guy. Just wondering....
½ February 26, 2010
I have to say I really, really, really had no interest in seeing this at all. However, I saw it down the library, (free rental), and decided, what the hell, may as well see what people are making such a fuss over.
Well, it was nowhere as good as people are saying, but having said that, it was a lot better than I expected also. Don't get me wrong, it is not a favourite, and I don't think I will be watching it again anytime soon, but as romantic comedies go, have seen a lot worse, and there was a few funny things and nice performances here.
September 17, 2010
For all you writers out there, this one's for you. When you write a story, you're always dealing with the details you use, considering how a specific detail might help -- or hurt -- your cause. In the case of It's Complicated, there's a particular detail I would point you to for a little writerly consideration. When Baldwin makes his way back, albeit temporarily, to the bosom of his family, one of his great ideas is to rent a movie for the family to watch. That movie is the now classic The Graduate. I'm of two minds here, which is a wonderful situation for an old guy like me since I really only have about half a mind left. My writer's perspective leads me to two possible conclusions: 1. This movie choice story detail is absolutely idiotic 2. This movie choice story detail is absolutely brilliant If it is Baldwin's clever idea to show his family -- especially his wife -- that their own situation pales in comparison to the truly complicated situation faced by Ben, Elaine, and Mrs. Robinson, then he is a very shrewd man. If, on the other hand, this is just a poorly-considered movie choice detail, then the writer(s) has made a stupid mistake. I mean come on, how seriously can you take the marriage problems of these wealthy caricatures in comparison with the closer to Sophoclean tragedy of Ben's having bedded both the mother and the daughter in The Graduate? Seriously, friends, who even gives a borat about the tribulations of Streep, Martin, and Baldwin in comparison to the idea of marrying the daughter after having slept with the mother? If Ben were to say of their situation, as he and Elaine bus off into who knows what kind of future at the end of The Graduate, that "it's complicated," that would be probably qualify as pretty staggering understatement. On the other hand, if Baldwin, Streep, or Martin were to say that for this triangle, we're talking laughably ridiculous. Complicated? It's not. Not by a long shot. Stupid, maybe, but who cares anyway? Thank goodness at least for Meryl Streep -- even though she should never have agreed to do this to begin with.
½ August 31, 2010
No, it really wasn't that complicated.
ajaymuthecooldevils
January 10, 2010
Nancy Meyers did a really good job in this movie...!!! As her other masterpiece 'What Women Want' and 'Something's Gotta Give', 'It's Complicated!' turns into a comedy that bites and questioning people : "Can we fall in love again with the same person that we love for a long time ago?"... And this movie gave the answer : "Yes, you can!"... The idea for the story was a rare, I haven't found it in a movies that I already watch before, about an affair between a man and his ex-wife... Meryl Streep once again shows us a really great performance... No matter it is a drama movie, or it's a delightful comedy, Streep can still gives an Oscar worthy performance... And I love Alec Baldwin performance too, all Golden Globes that he get from '30 Rock' wasn't a liar, he really is a funny man... And another surprise came from Steve Martin that usually played the funny and stupid guy, but now he must played the love interest from Meryl Streep that has a calmed personality and a big-hearted person... The other cast did okay, especially John Krasinski, I guaranteed he can be a big comedy actor at least 5 years from now... Overall, it was a fun comedy and the story was really great too... Love it!
August 10, 2010
I loved it. Of course I would. I thought it was a real, real funny and really good. It had a great cast and it was a what-if done in honest, clever way. It was a little long, but it was fun the whole time. Yay Steve Martin!
June 25, 2010
"Do you poke smot?"

Nancy Meyers is one of the most successful women directors in the industry. I've seen every one of her movies except her debut film 'Parent Trap', which starred the then adorable Lindsay Lohan. But I guess most of you have seen some of her movies and they are in fact actually entertaining.

When you look back at her movies, you'll see that her movies have a lot of so called A-list performers in 'em. 'It's Complicated' is no exception. Meryl Streep is probably the most successful actress ever and still going strong. In this movie, she's supported by Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin, the later in my opinion one of the funniest guys ever.

You'd think that there would be a lot of potential to make a funny film about an older divorced couple, that after a booze filled night happen to get the old spark goin'. You're right, there would be but in my opinion, 'It's Complicated' is just too nice. What's so funny about pot smokin' anymore? Nothin'. The "third wheel" in this movie, Steve Martin's character is also too nice. If there would've been some kind of nasty rivalry between them too guys, I'm sure that the movie would've been a hell of a lot more funnier.

There are some occasional funny scenes, most of 'em the ones with John Krasinski involved. Krasinski plays the son-in-law who knows what's going on between the two but he just has to keep his mouth shut. But what bothered me most is that the potential between Martin and Baldwin was totally left alone. Meryl Streep is a fine actress but she's no comedian.

'It's Complicated' is nevertheless worth a one time watch but there are a lot better comedies out there. If you're interested in Nancy Meyers movies, I'd recommend you to watch 'The Holiday'. It's her least successful movie but in my opinion her best... by far.
July 7, 2010
It had several good chuckles, but it also felt a little awkward.
neverteaseaweasel
November 19, 2009
With any kind of moral, social, aesthetic, or artist considerations in mind, I absolutely loathed this film. Really, it seems like it is stretching things a bit to even refer to it as a movie. On a sidenote, even beyond the sex and family issues, I really cannot fathom the lifestyle these people live. It just didn't seem in touch with reality at all. Or maybe people who feel the need to sleep their exes just happen to be gorgeous, incredibly wealthy, and brilliant. Everything was just a bit too perfect a bit too ... nice for my liking: characters, setting, situations, everything. It was just rather shallow. All that aside, it is entertaining enough, and rather funny at times. I wish there were more nice things to say about the film, but there just are not any other compliments to give. So, I really would not say that it is worth watching: there is nothing note worthy about it at all. However, it really isn't bad. I never thought I would say it, but Steve Martin is pretty funny and likable for once.
movieguru12
January 18, 2010
I loved this movie. Meryl Streep is an excellent actress and she was phenomenal in this movie!!! Definitely worth a watch!!! :) I can watch it over & over :)
middleeasternfilms
½ December 29, 2009
Only for a certain type of audience, mostly romantic comedy with some drama thrown in. Excellent acting, but like most movies lately it has it's moments. Worth watching with someone special in your life.
The Gandiman
½ May 28, 2010
Fluffy and simplistic "Complicated" has great performances but painful writing
FiLmCrAzY
½ February 26, 2010
its a likable enough movie, thats sweet, funny, and entertaining but it gets predictable and boring towards the middle and ending that i just get annoyed wth!
its really funny in places, with other moments just being a smirk !
you'll either like this movie or just find it boring!
its a mediocre storyline easy to foollow but not alot happening!
good cast but not a great movie!!