Critics Consensus: Puss in Boots is the Cat's Meow

Plus, The Rum Diary is sporadically compelling, and In Time takes a great idea and does a so-so job with it.

This week at the movies, we've got a swashbuckling feline (Puss in Boots, with voice work from Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek), a gonzo journalist (The Rum Diary, starring Johnny Depp and Aaron Eckhart), and monetary mortality (In Time, starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried). What do the critics have to say?

Puss in Boots

84%

The Shrek franchise keeps rolling along, this time ogre-free, with Puss in Boots, which critics find to be a witty, action-packed romp in its own right. In this prequel, ever-daring Puss (voiced by Antonio Banderas) teams up with the tough, alluring Kitty Softpaws (Salma Hayek) to protect the world from a pair of villains named Jack and Jill. The pundits say Puss in Boots is smart and funny, a clever send-up of fairy tale conventions with vibrant animation and inspired vocal performances. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Banderas' best-reviewed films.)

The Rum Diary

50%

Johnny Depp steps back into Hunter S. Thompson's shoes for The Rum Diary, but critics say that, like its predecessor Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, its sporadic moments of colorful madness are undercut by an uneven script. The Run Diary chronicles one of the gonzo reporter's memorable early assignments: a wild trek to Puerto Rico in which our hero uncovers a shady business plot and drinks a ton of booze. The pundits say the film is a mostly agreeable mix of picturesque settings and eccentric characters, but it lacks the focus needed to be a truly cohesive head trip. (Check out director Bruce Robinson's Five Favorite Films.)

In Time

36%

It's a high concept cross between Logan's Run and Occupy Wall Street, but critics say gaping plot holes and excessive action sequences keep In Time from measuring up to its intriguing premise. Set in a world where everyone is genetically engineered to die shortly after they turn 25 (except for the rich folks, who can purchase more time), Justin Timberlake stars as a man of modest means on the run from the cops after he's been gifted a life-extension. The pundits say In Time has a sleek look and some interesting ideas, but it runs out of steam pretty quickly.

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

redrooster0

Charlie Voelker

What a lame week.

Oct 27 - 04:33 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

PUSS IN BOOTS IT IS :D

Oct 27 - 04:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

It bears repeating that "Rum Diary" is a novel, not autobiography, and 'Paul Kemp' is not quite the Gonzo journalist himself. Regardless, it's the most appealing title here. How sad is it that "In Time" is now seen as representing the OWS! Limbercake is now a revolutionary, huh? Remember when 'sexy' was so uncool we needed a hero to bring it back? (I think it was 1956, and JT is not exactly Elvis.) The limited releases have finally underwhelmed. "Anonymous" and "13" look like entertaining late night cable selections. I thought "Double" came out last year. Will someone take Topher home already?

Oct 27 - 05:02 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Guess I'll point out the obvious. NO HORROR! It's only Halloween weekend. God Forbid, if "PA3" had any kind of genuine competition. If you find the Ghostbusters 3D near you, that's about all you can get. Great weekend for Haunted Houses and costume parties, though, and I think that's where I'll be rather than the Popcorn House.

Oct 27 - 05:16 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Here's the problem with horror, Hollywood only cares to remake and make sequels to horror films. Studios simply are willing to take chances on original horror flicks. If you ever get a original film, it's usually just a rip-off trying to make money off what's popular. In the 80s you had a bunch of bad slashers, in the 2000s we got a bunch of torture films, and now we're getting the found footage genre taking over. That's why we can't get a horror movie on Halloween weekend this year, nobody took a chance on a original movie to try to topple PA3, and instead focus on next year's remakes/sequels Halloween 3D and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D.

Oct 27 - 05:30 PM

David Tanny

Funny you say Halloween 3D...it might be a possibility. There is another Halloween movie coming out and it isn't directed by Rob Zombie. It could very well be a 3D release...

Oct 27 - 05:37 PM

David Tanny

Especially since the guy directing it directed My Blood Valentine 3D...

Oct 27 - 05:39 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

There are no horror movies this year because studios knew they'd get their asses kicked by PA3. That's why they are waiting until next year, since they assumed this might be an end to a trilogy. However, seeing as how it would be financially stupid (though PA's have been creatively stupid since 2) not to make more PA's - rival studios gotta be sweating a bit for their horror titles next year and following years.

Oct 27 - 07:13 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I haven't seen 13 yet, but I'd recommend you check the original movie, 13 Tzameti (translates to "13 Thirteen"). Very intense french film.

Oct 27 - 05:43 PM

Janson J.

Janson Janson

Ah! I see it's the same director. Sounds more promising, and that cast is a gulity pleasure.

Oct 27 - 08:27 PM

Janson J.

Janson Janson

And thanks, RT, for blocking my old account. Seriously, was it the Sea Org joke? Did that go a little too far? Give me an e-mail and fill me in.

Oct 27 - 08:51 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

13 for some reason is already out in Blockbuster here. It's bad. The original is great. Remake, no bueno!

Oct 28 - 08:58 AM

David Tanny

Dissapointing review for Rum Diary. Or is it..."Run Diary"?

Oct 27 - 05:02 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Lol, I saw that to and was like "What?"

Oct 27 - 05:39 PM

David Tanny

Also kinda bummed out about In Time's negative reviews too.

Oct 27 - 05:04 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

You really shouldn't be. In Time had generic action thriller written all over it, in the commercials, the trailers, and other marketing.

I do agree that Rum Diary rating is worse than expected, but a film with a haphazard plot generally isn't worth going to. I still think some older adults (35+) will see it but not in big numbers because of the rather lackluster reviews.

Oct 27 - 05:12 PM

David Tanny

I saw it coming, just wished it would've been good. I wasn't surprised, I should say.

Oct 27 - 05:21 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Did you like Fear and Loathing? It got pretty bad reviews and I thought it was damn good. Del Torro and Depp owned that movie. "To crazy to live, to rare to die."

Oct 27 - 08:03 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

The problem with Hunter S thompson adaptations are that the craziness does not translate well onto screen. Fear and Loathings excessive drug use left me feeling sick on page where as it barely registers in the film (visually but not mentally) and don't get me started on the bathtub sequence.

Oct 28 - 04:28 AM

inka s.

inka s

I would have dismissed In Time from the first time I heard about it, if not for Andrew Niccol. Shame, really, I want it to be at least decent. I've only recently decided to watch it just because I found out that it has Cillian Murphy in it(but that's another story).

Oct 28 - 04:59 AM

Dave J

Dave J

For me it's the presence of Justin Timberlake whose still labelled as a heart throb like Taylor Lautner, kind of turns me off, and Justin's music makes me puke all over, not to mention that his acting was always mediocre! If they got somone like Matt Damon or Swartzenegger, I'd still pay money to watch it no matter how bad the reviews were!

Oct 28 - 03:55 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Wow, this is a stinker of a weekend. In time, the rum diary, and anonymous all got far lower scores then I thought they would. Looks like Like, Crazy is the only movie worth seeing. My B.O predictions:
1 Puss in Boots 51 Million

Oct 27 - 05:16 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Oct 27 - 05:30 PM

Oct 27 - 05:37 PM

David Tanny

Especially since the guy directing it directed My Blood Valentine 3D...

Oct 27 - 05:39 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Oct 27 - 07:13 PM

Oct 27 - 05:21 PM

tyson t.

tyson tarantino

Puss in Boots looks great. Everything else looks like trash

Oct 27 - 05:21 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Oct 27 - 05:30 PM

Oct 27 - 05:37 PM

David Tanny

Especially since the guy directing it directed My Blood Valentine 3D...

Oct 27 - 05:39 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Oct 27 - 07:13 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

That's a shame, I thought In Time looked pretty good...

Oct 27 - 05:36 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Disappointed that The Rum Diary is getting bad marks; I was actually hoping for a great return to form for Depp with it.

In Time has cool idea, but I was not sold on it the second I saw the trailers. Timberlake also just seems really out of place for me, too.

I had a feeling Anonymous was too good to be true. Emmerich making a truly great film? Madness. The fact that it held the 100% T-meter for so long, with the same six reviews, was also a bad sign. As soon as more people saw it, it crumbled.

Puss in Boots getting good reviews only goes with this year's theme of successful reboots and movies that sound like they're a bad idea turning out surprisingly good. Hopefully Dreamworks does not run this new franchise into the ground like they did Shrek.

Oct 27 - 05:36 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Guess it's Battlefield 3 for me this weekend :)

Oct 27 - 05:37 PM

David Tanny

I'm poor, so I have to wait for Christmas for that...

Oct 27 - 05:45 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

It's pretty good. Well worth waiting for.

Oct 27 - 05:51 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Agreed. The campaign was nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be. In fact, I enjoyed it quite a bit myself, and despite me playing the watered-down PS3 version (because I don't want to put in all that time and money on a gaming PC where most of the time all you get is slightly better graphics and shitty ports), I'm blown away by the multiplayer. But damn Hollywood needs to step up their game. I skipped the cinema for Arkham City and I know for a fact that I'll be playing some Uncharted 3 next week instead of going to the theater, which will be the same case when AC: Revelations and Skyrim come out.

Oct 28 - 07:28 AM

Bow Ties are Cool

The Holy Rainbow of Awesomness

Video games should be better because they cost waaaay more than movies do. Extremely pumped for Uncharted 3:)

Oct 28 - 11:26 AM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

I play ps3 too. Right now I'm trying to set up my HDMI cord because it broke down for some reason. Somehow, even with composite hookup the graphics are amazing.

P.S. Hollywood better make the Uncharted movie badass or else...

Oct 28 - 01:13 PM

Bow Ties are Cool

The Holy Rainbow of Awesomness

An Uncharted move is like having a train at full speed approaching enough explosives to take down the Eiffel tower with a stadium surrounding it to watch. It's going to happen, might aswell enjoy how shitty it is and watch as actor BS their way out of interviews. Bad video game movies are a staple of popular video games it's just time to accept it.

Oct 30 - 04:31 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

DUM DUM DUM DUM

Oct 28 - 07:18 AM

Skyrim...Oh Yea.

Oct 28 - 10:38 AM

Oct 27 - 05:37 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Lol, I saw that to and was like "What?"

Oct 27 - 05:39 PM

David Tanny

Especially since the guy directing it directed My Blood Valentine 3D...

Oct 27 - 05:39 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Oct 27 - 05:43 PM

Janson J.

Janson Janson

Oct 27 - 08:27 PM

Janson J.

Janson Janson

Oct 27 - 08:51 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Oct 28 - 08:58 AM

David Tanny

I'm poor, so I have to wait for Christmas for that...

Oct 27 - 05:45 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

It's pretty good. Well worth waiting for.

Oct 27 - 05:51 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Oct 28 - 07:28 AM

Bow Ties are Cool

The Holy Rainbow of Awesomness

Oct 28 - 11:26 AM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

P.S. Hollywood better make the Uncharted movie badass or else...

Oct 28 - 01:13 PM

Bow Ties are Cool

The Holy Rainbow of Awesomness

Oct 30 - 04:31 AM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies