19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Last Man Standing: Season 3
—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Kill Your Idols Reviews

January 17, 2013
Some good interviews, particularly from participants in the era. But the attempt to tie in with then-modern 2002 NYC hipster rock scene felt forced and didn't reveal anything interesting. Like, I like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but their segments (filled to the brim with "like", "um", and other placeholder phrases) could only be considered interesting to someone who would describe the YYYs as their favorite band. I get what the documentary was trying to do in opening a dialogue between two eras of NY alternative music, but it feels forced and I suspect that neither era of musicians would be talking about the other era without pointed questions to that effect.
June 3, 2012
Count how many times Karen says "like" in one interview.... *bangs head against wall*
mattia m.
May 12, 2012
I Love this documentary,
and I Love all these bands.
February 5, 2012
The first twenty minutes of the documentary grabbed my attention, but soon after I found my thumb hovering over the "stop" button. Noise was undeniably influential, but I felt like Suicide's part in this was greatly downplayed. Yes, what they were doing was not pure "noise" and their only "crime", as stated by the members of bands with a far less life-span, was to actually play songs that had some coherence and direction. The only reason I have the patience to listen to bands like DNA was because Suicide opened my ears to the bizarre yet catchy. Instead of showcasing bands whining about the present scene, maybe this documentary should have explored the influence of bands like Suicide on "Dark Wave" and "Electro". And the rantings of a few no name bands, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the strokes, and Gogol Bordello? Why not get some commentary from a far more talented New York band that actually may have been influenced from "No Wave", Interpol?
January 22, 2012
Looks at the history of punk bands in New York, then comes into the present day (well, as of 2002-ish) to profile bands on the scene then.
May 4, 2011
Interesting but definatly forgetable.
shitfaced8
shitfaced8

April 3, 2011
Recently I've been getting into No Wave bands like DNA, Mars, Teenage Jesus, and obviously early Sonic Youth and Swans (2 ofmy favourite bands for awhile now.) When I heard abut this documentary on the New York No Wave scene of the late 70's/ early 80's I was excited to see it. The first half is really good, but the film got derailroaded aroun the middle portion. Instead of continuing with a pretty good documentary about No Wave it jumps ahead to 2002 and begins interviewing bands of the current New York hipster sene (Yeah Yeah Yeah's. Black Dice, Gogol Bordello, Liars etc.) ll good bands for what they do, I just don't think that they had any business being in this movie. Maaaybe if they were actually talking about the subject of the film I could have gotten over it, but nstead, as hipsters usually do, they talked about themselves. When asked about No Wave, the only band most of them seemed to be aware of was Sonic Youth. Anyways then the movie cut's back to the No Wave peoples and you get their perspective on the current scene. Basically I wanted a documentary about No Wave, and this film started out as that, but in the end couldn't really decide what the topic of the film was. So it doesn't get to in depth about any of the topics it covers. That being said the movie get's a pass from me as there is some really good performance footage from the old No Wave bands, some entertaining and enlightening interviewsfrom Lydia Lunch, Thurston Moore, Michael Gira, The Singer from DNA, Martin Rev, Lee Ranaldo etc. Perhaps I am being a little harsh but in the end I felt this movie was a failed attempt at covering a scene that still deserves a more thorough examination. Ah well, worth seeing for the things it did right as mentioned above.
December 28, 2010
good doc, great footage. but why would anyone ever be interested in what lydia lunch "thinks"
MARS9T8D4
November 18, 2010
An insightful, thoughtful commentary on the underground post-punk movement in the heart of New York.
lemmonm1
August 19, 2010
First half was very interesting. Second half...not at all.
August 10, 2010
(Watched Fri 24 Oct 2008)
September 26, 2009
A very mediocre documentary not just in how it presents its subject matter but the pretensions that are coursing through its veins. Many of the artists featured go against the title of the film and refer to themselves as idols in their own. Filled with hypocrisy but wonderful ideas I suppose that is the essence of a no wave scene. NY was so behind in comparison to the Land of the Rising Sun (the trumpet girl was mentioned briefly though).
Plus the lead singer of Yeah Yeah Yeahs almost killed their music for me when it was apparent how inarticulate she was. But I suppose you can't convey the truth of this music with words, nor can you with horribly shot/recorder live clips.
Pick up a fucking tuba says the one who never in her life would've done so in her own band.
Pompous platypus.
December 7, 2008
Liked it, mostly the beginning of the film about No Wave. Nice to see footage of Sonic Youth, YYYs, Teenage Jesus.
September 4, 2008
great title. not sure i want to see it.
June 29, 2008
Would have liked it to concentrate on the early day of no-wave and skipped over the newer bands.
mocliamtoh414
November 28, 2007
Nice musical Time-Line ...
pancho103188
November 27, 2007
I was really hoping for it to be amazing, it was alright.
4booksandallthatjazz