Critic Review - Chicago Sun-Times

For most of its languorous running time, it listens to conversations between Bella and Edward, Bella and Jacob, Edward and Jacob, and Edward and Bella and Jacob. This would play better if any of them were clever conversationalists.

June 29, 2010 Full Review Source: Chicago Sun-Times | Comments (34)
Chicago Sun-Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Oh shut up. Every time I see a good movie, you always have to come by & ruin it. You ruined Edward Scissorhands, Pollie, Howl's moving Castle, & even Kick-ass. And now you ruined Eclipse.

Jun 30 - 12:07 PM

AJ S.

AJ Specia

Eclipse didn't leave much to be ruined. Ebert's just stating the painfully obvious.

Jun 30 - 03:33 PM

Seliny19

Selina Jefferson

Someone needs to stop being Mangina. But your man card has already been taken a long time ago obviously. Unless of course you're defending Twilight in hopes of gaining some vajayjay from little pubescent girls or 40 year old obese women who love a fictional character then their own husband then you need to change your tastes in women. Seriously. O__o

Jul 2 - 12:41 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

And please tell me what the hell does taste in women have anything to do with anything?

Jul 10 - 08:50 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Actually, scratch that. What does ANYTHING you said have to do with anything?

Jul 11 - 11:30 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

And also, learn some ****ing English before replying to me.

Jul 10 - 08:54 PM

Leslie L.

Leslie Landers

I understood her comment perfectly, Steve.

Jul 17 - 12:46 AM

moviewatcher122

mack woodruff

I agree with Cory. You need to get a life.

Jul 7 - 02:27 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Actually, you guys need to get a life if you think that by insulting me will accomplish anything. And as if your opinions meant anything to me anyways.

Jul 10 - 08:51 PM

Casey N.

Casey Newman

if they didn't you wouldn't have responded back...sorry but that is the truth

Jul 19 - 08:26 AM

Casey N.

Casey Newman

if they didn't you wouldn't have responded back...sorry but that is the truth

Jul 19 - 08:28 AM

Casey N.

Casey Newman

sorry about the double post of the same thing, don't know what is up with my computer...

Jul 19 - 08:29 AM

Observation 99

Observation 99

It's always nice to see a comment from a confident guy who responds to his critics with genuine morality...
But none the less, it's still hilarious to see this guy obsessively follow and bash the reviews of an accomplished critic and then turn around and tell people bashing him that they're losers wasting their time. This is at least the seventh time I've seen him on an Ebert review.

Feb 3 - 12:26 PM

Chris D.

Chris Ducat

Can't disagree with what he said, although I really did enjoy the film, the conversation is not particularly high-level, it's still fun. I don't know how clever he expects high school students to be...especially ones as horny as this group is! @SteveSapphire, critics can't ruin films, only cast/crew can ruin films. Edward Scissorhands is a great film whether Ebert likes it or not. One thing's for sure, if you didn't like the original Twilight film, you won't probably care for this one either...it doesn't bring a lot more that non-fans could grab onto, despite being the best of the three.

Jul 13 - 07:33 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I enjoyed the first Twilight movie FYI. But this sequel tops it & New Moon any day (considering that New Moon was directed by a boring director).

Jul 16 - 01:04 PM

Casey N.

Casey Newman

It could only ruin the movie for you if you let it...I don't remember reading any real spoilers in this review....

Jul 19 - 08:34 AM

american psycho

kevin morrow morrow

Oh come on SteveSapphire this movie sucks big black dicks and so do you.

Oct 13 - 05:45 PM

Leslie L.

Leslie Landers

Eclipse and the whole debauchery that is Twilight ruined itself when Meyer put pencil to paper.

Jul 17 - 12:44 AM

Chris D.

Chris Ducat

It can only ruin itself: I gave the film 70% myself, but I'm mainly trying to find something to redeem this series. This one I'm planting my flag on: it's my favorite of the series, if only for the fun action scenes. I thought the dialogue wasn't TOO bad, but I'm probably kidding myself: they couldn't write dialogue in the previous two films, so I don't see why it would get any better.

Feb 24 - 06:07 PM

ktfaye

kt faye

1. Ruined? Are you in 7th grade where peer pressure still matters or are you an adult who is able to choose to like or dislike something without regard as to what others think? Trust me, you will be happier if you go down the second path.

2. If you loved eclipse just stand up proudly and say you loved it. Others might laugh at you, but really, if you're going to love this kind of stuff, you need to develop a tougher skin.

3. Considering ebert gave the last movie only 1 star this two-star is a 100% improvement. You should be dancing in your twi-hard shoes.

Jun 30 - 05:31 PM

Jason B.

Jason Black

Yeah, but he gave Twilight a 2 1/2 and Eclipse is definitely the best of the three even if that isn't saying much. I'm actually surprised though, it seems that a lot of Top Critics are the ones giving this movie its fresh rating and more of the critics who nobody really cares about are giving the negative ones.

But really, he gave Scissorhands a bad review? Damn, sometimes he really gets it wrong.

Jul 1 - 08:33 PM

Jaffer

James Carlile

Well put

Jul 6 - 08:14 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Oh I loved Eclipse alright, & if people are gonna laugh at me for liking it, then those people really need to get a life themselves.

Jul 10 - 08:57 PM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

We dont laugh at you because you liked it, we laugh at you because you disrespect one of our finest critics, and bash us when we tell you what has to be told. That is why.

Jun 13 - 01:26 PM

Sole Berlin

Sina b****

Critics are human and make mistakes!
I need only one review: myself!

Jul 2 - 05:00 AM

Joseph M.

Joseph Meador

"my own"

Jul 18 - 04:21 AM

american psycho

kevin morrow morrow

Yea right on Roger!

Jul 5 - 02:48 PM

Joseph M.

Joseph Meador

Potboiler - a poor quality novel, play, opera, or film that was created quickly to make money; authors who create potboiler novels or screenplays are sometimes called hack writers

Jul 18 - 04:20 AM

Stanzi-Manzi

Susan Talbot

YEP! Remind you of anyone who ripped off the great J.R.R. Tolkien to churn out one cutesy, lame-o book after another to get filthy rich??! Poor Robert Pattinson, to have been in BOTH these cheesy series!

Aug 1 - 08:14 PM

Leslie L.

Leslie Landers

I don't remember seeing Frodo in Harry Potter ... Or Gandalf. Or orcs. Or actually, while Harry Potter and LOTR might have SOME similarities, I do not see how they are alike in the sense you are trying to say they are. I am an admirer and fan of both Harry Potter and LotR, and Narnia as well. I have read all of the series, multiple times. I see similarities within all three of those wonderful, culture-changing series, but they are also all three very original and their own.

Twilight is just shit.

Jul 17 - 12:52 AM

TP2012

O .

haha how can his review ruin a movie? He's probably one of the most unbiased reviewers on this planet and a pure legend in the businesses. He's giving his view on the film and highlighting its lows and highs... just a shame this film has more lows than highs, please grow up.

Jul 19 - 07:31 AM

Stanzi-Manzi

Susan Talbot

Hey! For once, I don't wanna kick you butt, Roger, after hearing a review! I agree with the whole thing about the three principals in this having basically NOTHING to say except "I want you" or "I can't live without you," or "No, I want you MORE than he does"...etc. All smoke, no fire, just like the icky, black cloud over the pile of burning vampire corpses! Good image of this whole series.

Aug 1 - 08:12 PM

Nicholas S.

Nicholas Stamatovich

Okay, this makes up for when you ruined The Yakuza for me, Roger.

Mar 8 - 08:58 PM

Manas Rai

Manas Rai

the film sucks hardcore, Roger ebert rocks hardcore

Aug 25 - 09:47 AM