Sinking Our Teeth Into Twilight, Day 3: Eclipse

Summary

It's had its share of detractors and naysayers, but Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga has become a bona fide cultural phenomenon, a popular and lucrative franchise that has raked in over $2 billion at the box office and spurred a renewed obsession with vampires and werewolves. Unfortunately for its fans, however, the series will draw to a close this weekend with the release of its final chapter, Breaking Dawn, Part 2. As such, we thought it would be a good time to hunker down and examine what it is, exactly, that makes the series such a hit. To that end, we've commissioned two dedicated RT staffers -- one fan and one neophyte -- to trade observations on The Twilight Saga. Today, we bring you part three of the discussion, which focuses on the third installment, Eclipse. Back to Article

Comments

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

The tagline for the BREAKING DAWN PART 2 on the posters is simply "Forever." Should have been "Never."

Nov 14 - 04:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It should be "Just Cooperate".

Nov 14 - 07:29 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Hey, I know we have six more weeks, but what is your choice for the best film of the year? My vote is for Kirby Dick's THE INVISIBLE WAR and I see nothing replacing it. That includes hobbits.

Nov 14 - 07:45 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"The Master" so far, but I loved "Moonrise Kingdom" too.

Nov 14 - 09:10 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

I think the best film I've seen this year would have to be "Argo". My personal favorites are probably "The Avengers" and "Wreck-It Ralph", but I've pretty much liked everything to some extent.

Nov 14 - 11:42 PM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

I would have to make it a toss-up between "The Grey" and TDKR

Nov 15 - 03:52 AM

Bradly Martin

Wes Anderson is one of my all time favorites yet Moonrise Kingdom left me feeling so conflicted. I tried to rationalize what I just saw but the thoughts "what the hell was that?" kept creeping in.

It was beautifully shot, the characters were quirky, the sound track was superb and the environment it self was it's own character. So why didn't I like this movie?

Janson, Why is Moonrise Kingdom one of your favorites of the year?

Nov 15 - 10:20 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I had a somewhat similar reaction, Bradley. Quite a bit to admire about Moonrise Kingdom, but it was a bit overwhelmed by its own tone.

Nov 15 - 12:30 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Bradley, pretty much what you said. Excellent performances all around, especially the kid leads. It's amazing what Keitel, Swinton, and Schwartzman accomplish with such small roles. Wes Anderson has a very melancholic tone that I like a lot, maybe relate to. I have an ear for his sense of humor, and that includes his left-field plotting.

Nov 15 - 02:49 PM

Bradly Martin

Mark thank you! I thought I was the only one. Janson I appreciate your feed back as always. I guess a part of it to is feel jealous of not being able to relate to this flick at all. I wasn't in scouts, didn't live in any kind of community really growing up really and was no where near as bold as these leads when it came to approaching the opposite sex. Especially at 12.

Nov 15 - 03:50 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That's funny because I thought their boldness was a facade, and that they were actually very awkward with each other, until about halfway in.

Nov 15 - 04:31 PM

HA! love it! Fantastic

Nov 15 - 10:18 AM

Janson Jinnistan

It should be "Just Cooperate".

Nov 14 - 07:29 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Nov 14 - 07:45 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"The Master" so far, but I loved "Moonrise Kingdom" too.

Nov 14 - 09:10 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Nov 14 - 11:42 PM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

I would have to make it a toss-up between "The Grey" and TDKR

Nov 15 - 03:52 AM

Bradly Martin

Janson, Why is Moonrise Kingdom one of your favorites of the year?

Nov 15 - 10:20 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Nov 15 - 12:30 PM

Nov 15 - 02:49 PM

Nov 15 - 03:50 PM

Nov 15 - 04:31 PM

HA! love it! Fantastic

Nov 15 - 10:18 AM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Nov 14 - 07:45 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"The Master" so far, but I loved "Moonrise Kingdom" too.

Nov 14 - 09:10 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Nov 14 - 11:42 PM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

I would have to make it a toss-up between "The Grey" and TDKR

Nov 15 - 03:52 AM

Bradly Martin

Janson, Why is Moonrise Kingdom one of your favorites of the year?

Nov 15 - 10:20 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Nov 15 - 12:30 PM

Nov 15 - 02:49 PM

Nov 15 - 03:50 PM

Nov 15 - 04:31 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"The Master" so far, but I loved "Moonrise Kingdom" too.

Nov 14 - 09:10 PM

suzonka tyler

I'm into this Movie totally ,cant wait for the Nov 16 Th release

Nov 15 - 08:40 AM

HA! love it! Fantastic

Nov 15 - 10:18 AM

Bradly Martin

Janson, Why is Moonrise Kingdom one of your favorites of the year?

Nov 15 - 10:20 AM

Bradly Martin

Thanks again Jeff and Cat for pointing out what's bothered me with this whole show. Why does anybody care about this dopey girl let alone are able to be in the same room with her?

Nov 15 - 10:21 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Nov 15 - 12:30 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

the dialogue was very sluggish this time around but the love triangle got better because it was more intense, I liked that Jacob and Edward actually sat down and talked to one another, the action scenes were ok but didn't last long
Victoria by Howard I enjoyed a lot better and I liked Riley,too
it's also funny that the filmmakers made fun of themselves because they know how silly this franchise is in its context
before Breaking Dawn: Part 1 this movie was the best so far

Nov 15 - 02:22 PM

Nov 15 - 02:49 PM

Nov 15 - 03:50 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships