The Skeptic Reviews

bbcfloridabound
January 30, 2012
This is a pretty good film about a man who has a hidden past, separated from his wife and moves into his dead aunt's house. While living there its very apparent that its haunted and is so because of him, the house holds a secret so what is it? Film is a little creepy in spots, more of a suspense film then horror. Worth 4 Stars'
ScoopOnline
December 7, 2009
The Plot was very familiar to me. I have seen another Movie with exactly same Story but I cannt remember the title. Well there was tiny bit in the plot and ofcourse the actors, difference but everything else was same.
LWOODS04
April 29, 2009
After a mysterious death of his Aunt, a confirmed skeptic lawyer, Brian Becket, (TIm Daly) dismisses reports that her house is haunted and moves in after deciding to separate from his wife. Immediately occurrences begin he cannot explain. And beyond the occurrences there is something about the house which gnaws at Becket - some strange connection he senses he has with the house's past. Soon, the haunting turns personal, he hears voices suggesting clues to a deep mystery. He questions his sanity, seeks medical help, but instead finds assistance in a young psychic (Zoe Saldana) who immediately declares, "There's a very bad secret in this house." Together they embark on a terrifying journey to uncover the secret - a journey which leads them deep into the recesses of The Skeptic's own troubled mind.
I was really interested in this movie because I thought it had an interesting story line. Not just a movie about the scares. The way the haunting in this movie unravels is in the way it makes the hair on your body stick up.. That creepy feeling you get when you think your being watched or someone else is in the room with you. It wasn't over the top, but very settle and I liked that. It was a very creepy, eerie type of movie. I jumped a few times.. It's a terrific ghost story and well worth the watch.
July 3, 2011
The most slow-paced\boring horror suspense film of all time.
½ November 21, 2011
This wasn't scary - not even in the "I'm going to jump because something unexpected pops up on the screen" way. Ehhh.
April 13, 2010
Interesting psychological/supernatural-drama [written and directed by newcomer Tennyson Bardwell] about a lawyer who doesn't believe in anything until he stays in his dead aunt's house and begins to see things that lead to revelations about his family. Great performances by Tim Daly [most notably from the classic sitcom "Wings"] and Zoe Saldana [most notably from "Avatar", "Star Trek", the independent film "Premium"...as well as the upcoming films "The Losers", "Death at a Funeral", and "Takers"]...she stole the few scenes she was in and was almost the highlight of this movie]. Good performances by Andrea Roth [from "Rescue Me"], Edward Hermann, Bruce Altman, Robert Prosky, and Tom Arnold. Good writing and cinematography. The first 20 or so minutes didn't impress me much up until these quotes: "You're a close-minded man"..."because you don't think; you know"; after that there were quite a few jumpy moments...the music definitely helped [good score]. Overall it's a surprisingly good film with a poetic ending.
bamadeb77
April 28, 2009
Well...is the house haunted or not? it's all based on your judgement..this movie is more about psychology mindgame... the movie is okay. I liked the whole idea of this film even though its been done many times before.I enjoyed watching it 1 time but know iill never watch it again....
warning: the acting is not that great!
October 26, 2014
An average ghost story with a nice cast which gave solid performances. There was some tension built, however the effects were skimped on. The story develops a bit too slowly, and it seems unlikely that everyone this man knew had been hiding the truth from him his entire life, but I liked the psychological angle to the story. Hated the ending.
July 20, 2013
Amazing horror movie that is much classier and deserving of better than a straight to video release. It has Tom Arnold but he fits the role perfectly and it doesn't ruin the movie at all. The ending is abrupt and kind of left to interpretation but the rest of the movie deals with the main character in either a haunted house or succumbing to regressed memories. One of the best horror movies I've seen in years.
June 8, 2012
I really wanted to like Tim Daly in this movie, but the whole thing drags along at such a slow pace that I nearly fell asleep. There's not a lot of scares, and really not even a lot of plot. This completely blends in with every other low-budget supernatural "thriller" I've ever seen.
November 15, 2011
While not entirely original territory, The Skeptic is a creepy little haunted house film that plays with the ambiguity between hallucination and paranormal experience. Again, The Skeptic is nothing really new, but it manages to bring a stylish, intelligent, and creepy element to the rather cliched ghost genre.
½ October 6, 2009
The ending of this movie was different than I expected, but the movie was still okay. The house itself was beautiful.
October 4, 2009
Slow moving and very long to get going. It?s downright boring at times. The performances are fine, decent effects, but it was never involving or convincing.
½ April 9, 2014
Good idea. Good build-up...and then a totally unsatisfying ending.
December 16, 2013
A well-crafted ghost story with plenty to be excited about! This harkens back to the good old days when horror movies were actually a cohesive scare fest! The thrills are subtle and will effect you more than you anticipate, even after the film is over!
November 12, 2013
Wasn't anywhere near as bad as what some reviews say... Tim Daly is highly underrated actor, and Zoe Saldana and Tom Arnold aren't half bad either, wasn't half bad considering it was very low budgeted
½ April 18, 2013
More creepy suspense than true horror, The Skeptic is really an old fashioned ghost story. A bit light and trite to be sure and you know the ending before it begins, but still a likable, fun bump in the night. I thought it was well directed with a great cast of solid character actors.
October 3, 2012
This movie scared the crap out of me! The screams and reactions from the characters were real. The last scene with his mother sitting up and staring at him push this over the scare meter.
Stop trying to analyze the movie and just enjoy it.
September 21, 2012
A pretty lame haunted house movie. It's not scary and the mystery that is unveiled is just kinda like, "...okay...that's it? So what." Tom Arnold sounds like he has a stuffy nose the whole time.
April 29, 2012
About to watch, hope it's worth it.