The Skeptic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skeptic Reviews

bbcfloridabound
January 30, 2012
This is a pretty good film about a man who has a hidden past, separated from his wife and moves into his dead aunt's house. While living there its very apparent that its haunted and is so because of him, the house holds a secret so what is it? Film is a little creepy in spots, more of a suspense film then horror. Worth 4 Stars'
ScoopOnline
December 7, 2009
The Plot was very familiar to me. I have seen another Movie with exactly same Story but I cannt remember the title. Well there was tiny bit in the plot and ofcourse the actors, difference but everything else was same.
LWOODS04
April 29, 2009
After a mysterious death of his Aunt, a confirmed skeptic lawyer, Brian Becket, (TIm Daly) dismisses reports that her house is haunted and moves in after deciding to separate from his wife. Immediately occurrences begin he cannot explain. And beyond the occurrences there is something about the house which gnaws at Becket - some strange connection he senses he has with the house's past. Soon, the haunting turns personal, he hears voices suggesting clues to a deep mystery. He questions his sanity, seeks medical help, but instead finds assistance in a young psychic (Zoe Saldana) who immediately declares, "There's a very bad secret in this house." Together they embark on a terrifying journey to uncover the secret - a journey which leads them deep into the recesses of The Skeptic's own troubled mind.
I was really interested in this movie because I thought it had an interesting story line. Not just a movie about the scares. The way the haunting in this movie unravels is in the way it makes the hair on your body stick up.. That creepy feeling you get when you think your being watched or someone else is in the room with you. It wasn't over the top, but very settle and I liked that. It was a very creepy, eerie type of movie. I jumped a few times.. It's a terrific ghost story and well worth the watch.
July 3, 2011
The most slow-paced\boring horror suspense film of all time.
½ November 21, 2011
This wasn't scary - not even in the "I'm going to jump because something unexpected pops up on the screen" way. Ehhh.
April 13, 2010
Interesting psychological/supernatural-drama [written and directed by newcomer Tennyson Bardwell] about a lawyer who doesn't believe in anything until he stays in his dead aunt's house and begins to see things that lead to revelations about his family. Great performances by Tim Daly [most notably from the classic sitcom "Wings"] and Zoe Saldana [most notably from "Avatar", "Star Trek", the independent film "Premium"...as well as the upcoming films "The Losers", "Death at a Funeral", and "Takers"]...she stole the few scenes she was in and was almost the highlight of this movie]. Good performances by Andrea Roth [from "Rescue Me"], Edward Hermann, Bruce Altman, Robert Prosky, and Tom Arnold. Good writing and cinematography. The first 20 or so minutes didn't impress me much up until these quotes: "You're a close-minded man"..."because you don't think; you know"; after that there were quite a few jumpy moments...the music definitely helped [good score]. Overall it's a surprisingly good film with a poetic ending.
bamadeb77
April 28, 2009
Well...is the house haunted or not? it's all based on your judgement..this movie is more about psychology mindgame... the movie is okay. I liked the whole idea of this film even though its been done many times before.I enjoyed watching it 1 time but know iill never watch it again....
warning: the acting is not that great!
October 26, 2014
An average ghost story with a nice cast which gave solid performances. There was some tension built, however the effects were skimped on. The story develops a bit too slowly, and it seems unlikely that everyone this man knew had been hiding the truth from him his entire life, but I liked the psychological angle to the story. Hated the ending.
July 20, 2013
Amazing horror movie that is much classier and deserving of better than a straight to video release. It has Tom Arnold but he fits the role perfectly and it doesn't ruin the movie at all. The ending is abrupt and kind of left to interpretation but the rest of the movie deals with the main character in either a haunted house or succumbing to regressed memories. One of the best horror movies I've seen in years.
½ April 18, 2013
More creepy suspense than true horror, The Skeptic is really an old fashioned ghost story. A bit light and trite to be sure and you know the ending before it begins, but still a likable, fun bump in the night. I thought it was well directed with a great cast of solid character actors.
September 21, 2012
A pretty lame haunted house movie. It's not scary and the mystery that is unveiled is just kinda like, "...okay...that's it? So what." Tom Arnold sounds like he has a stuffy nose the whole time.
June 8, 2012
I really wanted to like Tim Daly in this movie, but the whole thing drags along at such a slow pace that I nearly fell asleep. There's not a lot of scares, and really not even a lot of plot. This completely blends in with every other low-budget supernatural "thriller" I've ever seen.
½ April 28, 2012
Terrible, terrible, terrible. The movie leads you on, promising a deep plot with engaging characters, only to give you a kick in the nads with an infuriatingly confusing ending. The movie could have completely done without the psychic, the best friend, the wife and kid, and the whole thing about marital problems, Seriously, what was the point of any of those characters or the problems? They provided nothing for the actual plot, and disappeared without a trace half-way through the film. This film was promising, but ultimately a broken promise.
April 27, 2012
The Skeptic (Tennyson Bardwell, 2009)

When I started watching The Skeptic, I wasn't too sure about it. A horror film written and directed by a guy who had previously only made a comedy, with a stable of has-been eighties and nineties stars as the principal cast-the outlook wasn't too great. But as the movie went on, I found myself getting involved enough to forget my initial misgivings. It's not a great film, but it's at least a good enough one to give a watch.

Plot: Bryan Becket (Wings' Tim Daly) is an arrogant, cocky lawyer who discovers that he's inherited the big old house he was raised in. He drives out to check on it with his pal Sully (Roseanne's Tom Arnold), and after inspecting it a bit, decides to move out and live in it instead of simply selling it. This doesn't sit too well with his wife (The Collector's Andrea Roth), especially when a delicious young parapsychology student, Cassie (Colombiana's Zoe Saldana), comes around claiming the house is haunted and offering to hang around until they figure out what's going on...

Gets off to a pretty slow start. That the movie picks up when a couple of extra subplots are trimmed off abruptly is not a coincidence, and tells us the script could have done with another rewrite (Bryan's attitude would have made more sense had he been a bachelor in the first place...). It's one of those movies that reminds us why its older principals made it, however briefly, to the A list, and makes Saldana's star shine when she proves capable of holding her own in this cast. This is my favorite Tom Arnold performance in ages....

Ironically, once the script gets stripped down to its component parts (roughly the last half of the film), which involves Saldana's character, a psychiatrist (the wonderful Ed Herrmann), and a priest (the late character actor Robert Prosky; this was his final film) all trying to impose their various beliefs upon Bryan as to what's happening to him, the movie really gets good. Unfortunately, by then, it's already left something of a sour aftertaste, but if you can get past that, and you don't necessarily mind an ambiguous ending (a lot of commenters on IMDB seem to really, really hate intentionally ambiguous endings...), you might enjoy this one as much as I came to. ***
½ April 28, 2009
Not at all what I was expecting and it left a lot of questions unanswered making the entire movie just pointless... all plots and characters were underdeveloped
½ January 22, 2012
Good, creepy build up to an all together wasted ending. If the climax of this movie was better, the movie itself would have been pretty awesome. Alas, this one just goes down as another pointless haunted house flick.
November 15, 2011
While not entirely original territory, The Skeptic is a creepy little haunted house film that plays with the ambiguity between hallucination and paranormal experience. Again, The Skeptic is nothing really new, but it manages to bring a stylish, intelligent, and creepy element to the rather cliched ghost genre.
October 11, 2011
The title pretty much gives you an in at what you are going to see. It's an interesting film, that's not scary,but makes you think a little bit. The ideal is interesting, the presentation is not. not something I may watch again,mainly due to the way it was presented.
½ June 19, 2011
You could find more depth and intelligence in your average Petri dish than in this script. There were several moments that gave me the heebie-jeebies, but even those were mundane.