The Skeptic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skeptic Reviews

October 26, 2014
An average ghost story with a nice cast which gave solid performances. There was some tension built, however the effects were skimped on. The story develops a bit too slowly, and it seems unlikely that everyone this man knew had been hiding the truth from him his entire life, but I liked the psychological angle to the story. Hated the ending.
½ April 17, 2014
Ending wasn't what I thought.. Good acting though!!!
½ April 9, 2014
Good idea. Good build-up...and then a totally unsatisfying ending.
December 16, 2013
A well-crafted ghost story with plenty to be excited about! This harkens back to the good old days when horror movies were actually a cohesive scare fest! The thrills are subtle and will effect you more than you anticipate, even after the film is over!
November 12, 2013
Wasn't anywhere near as bad as what some reviews say... Tim Daly is highly underrated actor, and Zoe Saldana and Tom Arnold aren't half bad either, wasn't half bad considering it was very low budgeted
July 28, 2013
We watched this one on Netflix after we got home and except for the questionable choice of Tom Arnold (who plays a minor role) This was a smart, supernatural thriller that had writing for the primary character that resonated with Gretchen and I since his observations and viewpoints paralleled what ours would have been .

Tim Daily's character is a logical, pragmatic lawyer who pulls no punches when others suggest his Aunt's house (where she recently died) might be haunted. Under no circumstances does he consider the possibility and he makes judicial arguments to anyone who even suggests the possibility of the supernatural. (Tom Arnold's character's main purpose seems to riff against that skepticism).

When the aunt dies and he assumes ownership of the large, imposing victorian mansion, he begins to witness odd, unexplainable occurrences that rile him up even more when he finds out his Aunt had actually willed the home to a school for paranormal research. After confronting the head researcher and accusing him of scamming his aunt out of her home, he is eventually forced to apologize and ask for help in explaining what he keeps experiencing there. I'm perplexed by the low rating here. Possibly because the scare factor and effects themselves are low and it feels more like a TV movie. Regardless of genre and a few odd cast choices, it was effective.
July 20, 2013
Amazing horror movie that is much classier and deserving of better than a straight to video release. It has Tom Arnold but he fits the role perfectly and it doesn't ruin the movie at all. The ending is abrupt and kind of left to interpretation but the rest of the movie deals with the main character in either a haunted house or succumbing to regressed memories. One of the best horror movies I've seen in years.
July 4, 2013
Nice Quiet Little Ghost Story--A story of ghostly regret!!
½ May 5, 2013
Impressive considering it was low budget.
May 4, 2013
Good psychological thriller with some decent twists.
½ April 18, 2013
More creepy suspense than true horror, The Skeptic is really an old fashioned ghost story. A bit light and trite to be sure and you know the ending before it begins, but still a likable, fun bump in the night. I thought it was well directed with a great cast of solid character actors.
½ January 20, 2013
I didn't get the the end of this movie. It left the question unanswered. Was his Mum abusive & was she murdered??????
½ December 22, 2012
The dumbest thing I ever sat all the way through. Don't waste a minute of your life.
½ December 3, 2012
Mainly boring, not so much scary. Plummeting ending... Booo
½ November 24, 2012
just ok felt like a movie of the week
½ October 26, 2012
slow but the guy can act very good job
October 3, 2012
This movie scared the crap out of me! The screams and reactions from the characters were real. The last scene with his mother sitting up and staring at him push this over the scare meter.
Stop trying to analyze the movie and just enjoy it.
½ September 30, 2012
Was a pretty good scary movie. Scares, but not too "out there." Tim Daly did a fine job and Zoe was good as well.
September 29, 2012
very different, I liked it a lot
September 21, 2012
A pretty lame haunted house movie. It's not scary and the mystery that is unveiled is just kinda like, "...okay...that's it? So what." Tom Arnold sounds like he has a stuffy nose the whole time.