The Skeptic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skeptic Reviews

January 13, 2012
I am surprised by the low reviews... I thought it was suspenseful without going over the top. I just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
November 15, 2011
While not entirely original territory, The Skeptic is a creepy little haunted house film that plays with the ambiguity between hallucination and paranormal experience. Again, The Skeptic is nothing really new, but it manages to bring a stylish, intelligent, and creepy element to the rather cliched ghost genre.
½ November 21, 2011
This wasn't scary - not even in the "I'm going to jump because something unexpected pops up on the screen" way. Ehhh.
July 3, 2011
The most slow-paced\boring horror suspense film of all time.
½ June 19, 2011
You could find more depth and intelligence in your average Petri dish than in this script. There were several moments that gave me the heebie-jeebies, but even those were mundane.
½ June 18, 2011
Damn... 8% really? I thought the movie was great! I could relate with the main character and it was fun to see him break down through out the film. Not to mention there is a scene that nearly gave me a fracking heart attack... trust me, if you watch it you will know the one Lol
May 26, 2011
im down for anything that might gimme a scare or thrill :)
February 8, 2011
Tom Arnold had no reason to be in this film. I enjoyed every thing else.
November 29, 2010
paranormal activity but mostly hidden secrets . family secrets . a good enough thriller .
November 17, 2010
ok, so is Tim Daly dead at the end?
November 7, 2010
"The Skeptic" is a far better movie than the critics claim. Although it has its silly moments, it reveals a delicate balance between skepticism and belief in the supernatural. It is a haunted house film with more psychological depth than most. It may not be a work of genius, but it is worth an afternoon's viewing.
½ October 12, 2010
The end let me down at first. [spoiler]But then I realized that his mother hadn't been a ghost after all. All this time it was his memory coming back to him slowly. That is my take on it, anyway.
½ August 18, 2010
DRY..... slow plot...I diddnt care much for it I found myself painting my nails or doing the dishes makes for great background noise... a child abused dose not recall his past... is haunted by his evil mother...
May 1, 2010
It felt a little cheesy at moments, and you could definitely tell it was low budget. But...this film has definitely potential for being along the ranks of films like "The Others." It's actually a really decent ghost story with a interesting and riddled twist. Overall, it scared me and thats what i look for in a scary movie.
April 13, 2010
Interesting psychological/supernatural-drama [written and directed by newcomer Tennyson Bardwell] about a lawyer who doesn't believe in anything until he stays in his dead aunt's house and begins to see things that lead to revelations about his family. Great performances by Tim Daly [most notably from the classic sitcom "Wings"] and Zoe Saldana [most notably from "Avatar", "Star Trek", the independent film "Premium" well as the upcoming films "The Losers", "Death at a Funeral", and "Takers"]...she stole the few scenes she was in and was almost the highlight of this movie]. Good performances by Andrea Roth [from "Rescue Me"], Edward Hermann, Bruce Altman, Robert Prosky, and Tom Arnold. Good writing and cinematography. The first 20 or so minutes didn't impress me much up until these quotes: "You're a close-minded man"..."because you don't think; you know"; after that there were quite a few jumpy moments...the music definitely helped [good score]. Overall it's a surprisingly good film with a poetic ending.
March 3, 2010
The set up: Our main character Bryan Beckett (Tim Daly) inherits a rambling Victorian style mansion from his aunt and moves into the house while settling the estate. Bryan is the skeptic referred to in the title and finds his stoicism tested by seemingly supernatural events in the house.

The Good: This is a review that will be very upfront that I am not exactly happy I gave up time to watch the movie. There are only two real stars here. The first is the gorgeous house which was totally distracting during some of the movie's more dull parts. The stock character of the local priest warns Bryan, "There is something not right about that house". Being the constant HGTV viewer, I wondered if he was referring the plumbing, wiring or maybe termites. Such speculation was a nice diversion. The second is Zoe Saldana in the small role of Cassie, a paranormal expert of sorts who helps Bryan discover work his way through the mystery. She is a fantastic actress who I am so happy has found success in the form of the new Star Trek franchise. For about 15 minutes while she was on the screen, Jeff (my yet to be named movie watching partner) turned to me and said, "this is getting interesting". It did not last though.

The Bad: I don't know where to begin. I could say The Skeptic is a half decent attempt at low budget horror, but I would have to ignore so much. The combination of clunky writing and bad acting is dismal. There are some exchanges between Bryan and his best bud, Sully (Tom Arnold) where you almost feel the writer is getting into a groove, but then just as suddenly everything switches back to a state best described as awkward. As an example, the script hits you over the head in the first 15 minutes that Bryan is an unemotional skeptic , but below the surface we are also supposed to feel he is troubled. There is no nuance here. Daly is forced either to play straight on "skeptic" or emotional basket case. I used the word clunky before and it is so appropriate to describe him switching back and forth between the two. Oh and the ending. I'll give you that it is creepy but you could interpret it several different ways. I don't need to be spoon-fed my movie plots but as the viewer I would have appreciated a hint. Without that my question is did the writer really intend to create the most evil mother since "Mommy Dearest".
Final verdict -- great concept but horrible execution.
½ February 20, 2010
A film riddled with unimaginative cliches. The script was poor and the plot pointless. This film offers nothing in terms of veiwer satisfaction.
½ December 12, 2009
OMG! I honestly believe that some actors who are well known take gigs to pay the bills. Such a shame that the lead actor's role will always be identified as unemotional to his wife and child. Zoe Saldana is a wonderful actress and really didn't have to play in this movie, although her appearance was the only reason why I stuck with this mess. They left me wanting more and I was disappointed when the credits came by surprise.