C'est Pas Moi, Je le Jure! (It's Not Me, I Swear!) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

C'est Pas Moi, Je le Jure! (It's Not Me, I Swear!) Reviews

September 28, 2008
Completely magistral, you all should see this.
½ March 20, 2009
In 2009 my wife and I got back to the Cleveland International Film Festival. This was the first film we saw that year. A story about a Dennis the Menace type character only more troubled. I really enjoyed this and thought it was funny, though all of the kid's attempts to end his life kept the movie from being too light-heart-ed. I appreciated the theme of normal and "un-normal" families. And the imagery was consistent with this theme. There was an island alone in the middle of the sea, a kite alone in the middle of the sky, an umbrella alone in a clearing in a corn field, a lone fox running through a field, the boy laying in his front yard, a single bowling pin left standing, and one black stone amongst several white stones in a fountain. The important thing to notice, I think, is that the boy's free-spirited mother, the black stone in society, keeps trying to give him a white stone. She wishes for him to fit into society better than she could.
February 15, 2010
I really have a good time whenever I go to a Philippe Falardeau film and there is no exception here. What a funny tale of a young liar. Nice film.
May 22, 2012
Too long by 15 minutes, but still emotionally engaging and hilarious. Comparable to Wes Anderson's best work.
½ June 27, 2014
Children movies are what I frequently pick to watch and that is how I ended here. This is somehow a similar kind of movie to 'Dennis the Menace'. Only the character wise, but there are plenty of differences illustrating a boy's nuisance and menace. Yeah, it was about a 9 year old boy and his strange and unexpected bahaviour. Don't think in a serious manner, I was saying kind of cute like the one from 'Le Petit Nicolas'.

Leon is not happy for their parents' everyday fights. He thinks he can stop it if some distracting thing happened them around. So decides to try with the dangerous game and make them to blame for it. But everything he attempted goes terribly wrong and one day he also loses his beloved one. Then is main focus turn to bring her back. While preparing for it, he falls in love for a neighbour girl. The mischievous boy with the series of unsuccessful event can turn everything back on track is what explained till the end.

''It's better not to lie,
but it's worse to lie badly.''

This was the movie like I desired for. An interesting and playful character is what we expect most from a kid role in an entertaining movie. The story also conveys parental negligence over kids with unorthodox character. As the story set in the late 60s, the atmosphere was flawless and looked surreal. Everyone played well, father, mother, brother and so the girl. One of the unforgettable children's movies if you are a fan of this genre. I am not going to disclose how the story ends, but I will be happy if a sequel explains a few things, especially the romance. With the existing end and a beautiful dialogue before the credits roll up I don't know why I thought of a follow-up. Maybe I am so excited to see Leon again because he was so awesome.
June 26, 2014
I'm speechless. This is hands down the best cinematic performance I've ever seen a child deliver. This movie was all sorts of beautiful and charming while remaining realistic. Wow.
September 24, 2012
You're a moron if you don't like this movie.STOP
January 25, 2012
Coming Of Age story about troubled parents, sounds nothing new isn't it... but still touching and funny (somehow)
August 16, 2012
In my opinion, the most heartwarming, gut wrenching, beautiful movie I have ever seen. This is rare to say from an English speaking background (considering the movie is in French).

Characters are constructed beautifully and everything about this movie is perfect, even down to the score, written by Patrick Watson.

Five stars, not a doubt in my mind. If you don't watch this movie, you are seriously missing out.
March 29, 2011
An unoriginal film about a family crisis and a problem child.
January 7, 2010
3.5 Stars out of 5

It's Not Me, I Swear (Ce N'est Pas Moi, Je Le Lure) is a 2008 French-Canadian film that has characters who are victimized by their environments--in this case, the suburbs. This is another Canadian film that threw through the cracks of the cinema introspection, and is truly an effective piece about characters who have only one redeeming quality: they are human. The film isn't about characters trying to survive in the suburbs (something American Beauty, a spellbinding film, was about) but rather escaping it. The story doesn't explicitly play off the boy who cried wolf, but more about the boy who cried fox (you'll understand if you see it), though the animal analogy is still there, but just turned on its head. The fox doesn't inflict on the boy's wickedness but is the only good he can find. A fox is sly, subtly ferocious, and underestimated, like the boy. You could say the fox is a smaller scale version of a wolf, which is what we're dealing with here--a smaller scale human: a little boy.

The story follows Léon, a 10 year-old who plays hooky from school and raids and eggs neighbours' homes while they are away. He isn't your typical child and life for him is no nicer than he is. This is like the story of Alex (from A Clockwork Orange) as a youngling and speaking in French dialect. But where was arbitrarily psychotic, Léon's will for attention is a result of his parent's incessant fighting and lack of friends. Eventually, Léon meets Lea, a crush of his, who struggles with parental problems just as equally. The film forms a subtle love story of the two but the relationship is more focused on their connections as forgotten souls. Director Philippe Faradeau almost takes on a prolonged adventure story overwhelmed in harrowing mishaps but eventually, and wisely, eludes this.

Faradeau is compelled with the angelic aspect of the world. His continuous aerial shots are mesmerizing as it looks down on its self-regulating world. Antoine L'...cuyer (Léon) effectively portrays a boy who feels his abnormality is an impedance in his family so well that we care about him even though he isn't utterly likeable. Once the ending unravels, it isn't anti-climactic, it is fittingly ethereal and bitter-sweet. Is paradise found for Léon? Not necessarily, but the life that perhaps abuses him may have redeemed him.

I SAY-See it.
½ October 4, 2009
I'm not usually a fan of Quebec films, but this one totally changed the prejudice I had against them. This movie was truly touching, dramatic, and fresh! ;)