—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Triangle Reviews

John M

May 29, 2010
I am not even sure where to begin on this movie. A very interesting twist to the standard horror film. Im not going to try and explain it as Im not even sure I got it all yet. . .
garyX
garyX

April 4, 2012
A pleasure boat capsizes during a freak storm and its occupants are rescued by a deserted Ocean Liner inhabited by a mysterious stranger with murderous intent. Triangle is one of those cause and effect paradox stories that science fiction writers are so fond of and reminded me of The Butterfly Effect crossed with Back To The Future 2. Like Twelve Monkeys it obviously owes a debt to La Jetee, but as it concerns itself with the same five characters over the same 90 minute period, it seems far more like small potatoes than Terry Gilliam's film. The premise is simple, having a familiar Twilight Zone feel about it and because of this, once you twig the big twist you know exactly where it's going to go. It's funny, but I feel like I've written this review before...That'll be because it is EXTREMELY similar to Spanish film Los Cronocrimenes released two years earlier. Enough to make me wonder if legal action has been taken. Although "Timecrimes" makes a little more logical sense and requires less in the way of leaps of faith, Triangle's superior production value, more sympathetic lead and superior punchline makes for a better film. Not a bad little mind-bending sci-fi/horror hybrid however, and worth a look if like this type of thing.
Japes
Japes

February 4, 2012
I give this film props for creating a mystery then slowly unravelling that mystery to show a deeper story. There were a few problems I had with this film that I think kept the movie from being a success.

To start off, the movie is about a girl named Jess who goes sailing with her friend Greg and a couple of his friends. At the beginning, we see Jess is really freaked out about something. She's on edge and spaces out frequently. When a freak electrical storm causes their boat to capsize, a big steamboat comes by and picks them up for rescue. When they board the ship, they see no one is around and then some crazy stuff starts happening to Jess and the others. We don't know anything until the plot starts unravelling itself towards the end.

**Contains Spoilers...**
The first problem I had with this movie was the characters. The only character that was sufficiently developed was Jess. We saw she had multiple problems to deal with that gave her character some depth. All the other characters had no depth at all. The other characters were just shallow pawns used to carry the plot along. The other characters just had stereotypical personalities or no personality at all- like Victor whose character was just a hot bod that had little to contribute to the film. If all the characters had a stronger relationship with each other perhaps the movie would've been more interesting and fun to watch.

The second problem I had with the film was the amazingly slow pace. After an hour I was thinking surely this film must be over soon! At the one hour mark, the characters were STILL running all over the ship yelling "HELLO!" in their clearly fake American accents. I was actually very surprised to learn that there was still 40 minutes left to the movie. It was very slow and I got pretty bored. Nothing remotely interesting happened until probably 1:14 minute mark. I hate slow paced movies.

The next problem I had with the movie was the plot. There were so many plot holes it was frustrating to watch. At the end of the film, we learn that Jess is stuck in a time loop that repeats itself only when all the others (e.g. Greg, Victor, Sally, etc.) are dead. Once they are dead, the entire movie repeats itself. As we find out, Jess has been stuck in this time loop numerous times. Jess can leave the time loop at any time-- all she has to do is choose not to go on the sail boating trip or choose to not kill everyone when she gets on the rescue ship. The reason Jess stays in the time loop is because she accidentally gets in a car accident and kills her son after she escapes from the rescue ship. In order to bring her son back to life, she decides to re enter the time loop and try everything again-- hopefully this time not killing her son. It was too confusing and honestly- quite boring. The whole thing was her just kicking everyone else's ass over and over and over again. You would think after being in the time loop for days, she would realize that hey you know what? Maybe I should take a different approach. Jess' character obviously had some psychological problems. Her rash decisions were illogical and stupid. The entire thing could've been avoided. Also, Jess uses that double barrel shotgun like a motherfucking pro. Where did that come from? A girl with that amazing aim? Yeah, right. She karate kicks and fights like a hero. It felt slightly choreographed and fake. But anyway I digress. At the very end we see Jess is a fuck up of a mother and beats her son. Then she has an epiphany and says "Oh my god, I'm a terrible mother. I will make things right again." So she goes and kills her other self. Then she says to her son "Let's get out of here!" and they flee: 1) Where the hell are they going? 2) Why are they leaving their safe house? 3)Did Jess completely forget WHY she re-entered the loop in the first place? To save her son? If by getting in a car and driving her son, it's inevitable the son will die again. Why doesn't she remember? It just didn't make any sense. Then after her son is dead, she goes back to the dock and goes on the sail boating trip again! How can Greg, Victor, Sally, etc. all be at the dock? She just killed them all! Are these people immortal?? Did any of it even really happen or is Jess a schizophrenic and hallucinating all of it? It was just too confusing. There are other movies that pull it off much better.

I respect what the plot was doing, but it really was just a huge unorganized mess.
Carlos M

August 16, 2011
An unusual thriller that deserves credit for the exquisite direction and the genuinely oppressive and mysterious atmosphere. But even though the plot seems more ingenious and smarter than many others, it is actually illogical and with so many plot holes that by the end it does not make any sense.
Coxxie M

December 8, 2009
Look closely to notice Melissa George's peach fuzz moustache. it is there whether you like it or not. most likely not. for that reason and for other reasons, i look forward to not seeing her in the future, thanks to a few shit-bombs like "the Crazies" and this handful of himalayan kitten shit. thanks for sucking so hard, "Triangle!"
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Really bad, like watching the same film over and over again until the end were the only good scene takes place.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

June 5, 2011
i dont at all understand this movie.
Maybe its because im not very smart or maybe its because the movie tries to do something different but just loses it completely.
The whole movie is terrible and boring, i dont think the movie understands the meaning of the word suspense because this movie has none of it.
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

May 14, 2011
An intriguing and compellingly plotted mystery thriller about a woman stuck in a nightmarish time-loop on board an abandoned cruise ship in the pacific ocean. I praise the plot for doing something different and original and it's quite clever, but it does leave unanswered questions which has led to many online debates and theories. The whole deja vu thing did wear on the mind eventually though and the running and hiding in the same old places got tiresome. It's fairly violent at times so there's a bit of carnage to endure as well. So it has some flaws but it's one to watch. It's thought provoking and it lingers in the mind well after viewing.
Dean !

March 8, 2010
A very good thriller that uses a time loop to good effect. It's not particularly gory or scary, but the deserted ship does make a creepy location for this type of film. Quite a few seem to find it hard to follow, I thought it was a lot easier than say Memento to understand first time round. True it can be a bit open for you to draw your own conclusion by the end of what and why it's happening, but the clues are there. They maybe one or two plot holes by the end, but nothing major that spoils the effect of the film. Overall a good thriller, different to the norm, that most will enjoy figuring out.
Lady D

November 28, 2010
A film that grew on me throughout - one warning though, watch it in one go, stop it at certain points and it might get a little confusing.

The film does take a little while to warm up, but all begins to make sense after a short while and there enters a mind twisting, almost time travel, type story, which is cleverly thought out.

Had this film had an all star cast or a better acting cast it would definitely be a much bigger film.
Lewis C

November 29, 2009
"You're just having a bad dream. That's all baby. It's all it was. Bad dreams make you think you've seen things that you haven't."

Triangle is a very good movie about Melissa George's perfect legs, and how they...wait, let me try this again.

Triangle is actually an effective, intelligent, layered horror/thriller (starring Melissa George's perfect legs). I can't go into the story very much, as there's not much detail that can be given out with ruining it. I'll just say that a curiously detached young mother and a group of people go out sailing one gorgeous day, get caught in a storm, and find themselves shipwrecked. A massive approaching ocean liner appears to bring salvation, but once they're on-board, it seems strangely deserted. Soon people start dying, and the plot takes a sharp left turn that puts it at a cut above the typical slasher flick that Triangle seems to be at first glance.

I'll admit that I was a little underwhelmed by the movie at first, but it definitely gets much better as it goes along. I really have to give the movie credit for how clever and ambitious it attempts (and succeeds) to be. The best description of Triangle I can give without ruining anything is a combination of The Shining and Donnie Darko, with a really hot lead actress. It's mind-bending in just the right way. There were lots of different points that the story could have fallen apart and stopped making sense, but that never happened. By the end, there are no loose ends. And I'll add that the title is particularly meaningful.

If you're open-minded, attentive, and ready for something slightly different, chances are that you'll love this movie. I certainly enjoyed it.
Nicki M

November 1, 2010
Above average horror/thriller. I really thought this would be crap, the inclusion of Melissa George really didn't inspire me to think otherwise, but I have to admit, I was really impressed with her in this one and may have to rethink my opinion!
I can't really go into too much detail about the story without giving things away (besides, don't think I could really explain it if I tried) but check it out, you will understand what I mean!
Very original idea for a story, did not see the twists coming and kept me surprised and on the edge of my seat at all times. Actually it kind of did my head in. No one is more surprised than me by how good this movie actually was!
deano
deano

March 20, 2010
Chronologically, twisted and perpetually disorientating, this Australian film is British director Christopher Smith's follow-up to Severance. Melissa George carries the film, and she rises to the challenge in tough yet vulnerable style. After Turistas, 30 Days of Night and The Amityville Horror, Australia's leading lady of horror is used to screaming before she has to step up. here, pleasingly, she's confronted by something more cerebral than jungle maniacs, Arctic vampires or suburban polterboogers, and is asked to mask a reality about herself that's chillier still. You'll enjoy this as well as there are enough triple-twists and double-backs to keep a few surprises for the end.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

November 15, 2009
Cast: Melissa George, Liam Hemsworth, Rachael Carpani, Emma Lung, Michael Dorman, Henry Nixon, Joshua McIvor

Directed by: Christopher Smith

Summary: Murder strikes the Bermuda Triangle in this gripping high-seas horror starring Melissa George, Liam Hemsworth and Rachael Carpani. Jess encounters the first of many bad omens when her car kills a seagull near the local harbor. Later that night, her yacht hits a storm, forcing her and her friends to board a mysterious deserted ship. The clock on the ship has stopped -- and so has any sense of safety.

My Thoughts: " This is one of those, excuse my language, mind f****ing movie's. Although the concept of the film is interesting, it just became a bit boring for me and annoying. I felt like I watched the film five times in one sitting. I get that its a time loop kind of film, but it gets to be annoying and boring after awhile of seeing the same scene. I just didn't enjoy it as much and even though I think the concept of the film was interesting, I thought it was a waste of my time. Didn't care for the ending either. But half of flixster didn't like it, and the other half seemed to like it. So I guess this will be one of those films you either love, hate, or somewhere in the middle of that. I didn't hate the film, just thought it didn't have a real point. Had many plot holes in it as well. I will say this, Melissa George did a really great job at carrying this film on her own. She kept it more interesting then what it really was."
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

October 23, 2009
A really enjoyable journey with plenty of twists and "OMG" moments. I am always pleasantly surprised when a film makes no apologies for taking a dark or bleak path. Especially when it's in a thought provoking manner.

My only problem is that this is a story that pulls you in and really gets you thinking, which is usually a good thing - except for the fact that if you think too hard on this one there are several plot holes. So Just go along for the cruise and I'm sure you will have as good a time as I did.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

July 4, 2010
"Fear Comes in Waves"

The story revolves around the passengers of a yachting trip in the Atlantic Ocean who, when struck by mysterious weather conditions, jump to another ship only to experience greater havoc on the open seas.

REVIEW
One of those multinational indies ? a British film with an Australian cast playing Americans in a movie set off the coast of Florida (but filmed in the Pacific). Such movies can either be the epitome of direct-to-DVD dross or surprising gems; 'Triangle' is the latter. A yachting party encounters a freak storm and are rescued from their capsized vessel by a mysteriously deserted cruise ship that seems to appear out of the blue. What seems like another retread of the old ghost ship story quickly morphs into something more akin to the excellent Spanish thriller 'Los cronocrímenes'. I'm always a sucker for some trippy time-loop shenanigans, and 'Triangle' doesn't disappoint, providing enough unexpected twists and turns to keep things interesting to the very end. Highly recommended.
Luke B

June 5, 2010
Triangle is a very interesting and worthwhile film. Until it starts repeating itself at nausea. It builds up nice and slow, something that a lot of films are failing to do these days. Something is obviously not quite right before the cast even set-off. Once a deserted ghost ship enters the picture, it all questions and mysteries. The film is very similar to others out there, such as Timecrimes. Once you get the gist of it, you pretty much know how it's going to unfold. It's still a very interesting idea, and is very intriguing to watch. There is some very powerful imagery, such as a large pile of bodies, with a bit twist to them. Certainly a great watch for a bit of suspense and mystery, and it doesn't try and fry your brain too much either.
gor41
gor41

April 8, 2010
Top marks for brain-aching time loop complexity but I can't say I enjoyed piecing together its internal logic and have a strong suspicion the filmmakers lost the plot at some point too and decided to layer on more smoke and mirrors to cover their tracks.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

April 8, 2010
Psychological horror about a waitress with an autistic son who goes on a yachting cruise; a sudden electrical storm capsizes the boat, and the party is "rescued" by an abandoned cruise ship. Extremely strange events follow. Good atmosphere and you're extremely unlikely to figure out what's happening until the midpoint of the film, but it steals shamelessly from TIMECRIMES, and more than anything the muddled script makes you appreciate how brilliantly that independent Spanish production was plotted.