The Blind Side - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blind Side Reviews

sanjurosamurai
November 19, 2009
although this film has its cliche moments, it is far better than the normal run of the mill feel good sports movie. bullock and bates were both very good, and michael oher's story is a special one. the film was filmed especially well and most of the dialogue was compelling. a rare film among recent sports films in that i strongly recomend it.
March 6, 2010
A patronizing drama that uses a manipulative narrative structure to make you buy its disgusting message that for a black young boy like Big Mike to succeed in life he should follow what he is told by his "white Republican saviors", for they always know best.
July 27, 2013
Sandra Bullock is rapid and compelling in this true story of tragedy-turned-triumph. The Blind Side is an enjoyable that some may consider a bit too soft or safe. Though it won't completely win moviegoers over, they'll still be in awe of the bold lead actress. 4/5
½ November 16, 2009
Sometimes a feel is so deeply humane and kind-hearted that you're almost waiting for the shoe to drop. This simply does not happen here, even though you kind of expect it to after the introduction. Fact is, the story of a rich family helping out a black sports talent and basically turning into his new family is really well done, acted and very touching. Sometimes the sugar-coating is maybe a bit much, but you can't blame a film for telling a true story. The complete lack of cynicism may not be for everyone but if you're ever asked how to define a feel good movie, you can refer to this one.
½ March 22, 2013
Sandra Bullock does give a great performance, and the story is a great one. But the film overall is rather weak, especially due to less-than-stellar performances from Bullock's costars.
½ August 11, 2010
A great heartfelt feel-good film based on a true story. Great performances from the lead character and Sandra Bullock adds a touch of charm to her role. Plenty of fun light-hearted moments along the way. A story that will keep your interest to the very end. Nice touch to see the photos of the real people the story is about at the credits!
½ December 12, 2009
About as cliché as they come, but an enjoyable film none the less. To watch Sandra Bullock's Oscar-winning performance before her husband self-destructed (and nearly took Sandra down with him) must have been very different than it is to watch it afterward; and I think, even before everything that went wrong, the award was kind of a "lifetime of being lovable" award more than one that recognized this specific performance. (Imagine how amplified such a statement would be had she won after the divorce!) Bullock anchors the film, but it's out and out carried on the (very broad) shoulders of Quinton Aaron, as Michael Oher, who does a lot of acting without saying very much. This is the performance to watch.

The story is sad for the first half, almost overwhelmingly so - even if you've already seen the most powerful clips in trailers, on awards shows, etc. - but it starts to pick up as the Tuohy family takes Michael in and puts him on the path to success. By the time it ends, it's dangerously close to TV Movie-of-the-Week territory, but one can't argue that it's not uplifting. Disposable, but worth watching.
½ January 3, 2012
Sandra Bullock's great, but the Hallmark card cliches continuously pile upon each other which get very repetitive and annoying.
DreamExtractor
March 6, 2011
The Blind Side is an inspirational drama, Bullock should be commended. After being left on the street, Micheal Oher (Quinton Aaron) is taken in by the Tiohy family, by the love of the mother Leigh Anne (Sandra Bullock) she gets him into sports, into college, and into a family that every person deserves. Sandra Bullock is the highlight of the film, her performance was phenomenal and one of the most coolest and best performances in film history, truly deserved the Oscar. n The plot was great, but I just felt like it was just another inspirational movie, but still a great story. The Blind Side will make you feel good, it sure did with me.
October 2, 2011
If this film doesn't move you then something is wrong. I believe (if i'm correct) that this film is based on a true story. Don't want to give away too much, but the young man who is taken in has his life turned upside down, for the better. Brilliant acting all around and especially for that of Sandra Bullock's role.
October 1, 2011
Finding the right balance between sports, comedy and family drama, The Blind Side is one heart-warming, inspirational film with a great performance from Sandra Bullock. She is definitely deserving of that Oscar.
½ July 31, 2011
Even as a true story it has its share of genre cliches; however, The Blind Side is nonetheless a moving tale which benefits from strong performances from the cast and a knack for avoiding the typical stereotypes and racial profiling that often haunt similar films. The characters seem warm, fully realized, and surprisingly, human.
February 5, 2011
Seriously think this movie is overrated. I didn't hate it, but I didn't at all like it. The pacing was terrible and the acting was horrid.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
Incredible true story! Heart wrenching and the ending has you crying with happiness! A must see!
flixsterman
½ October 2, 2009
I can't help but think that a certain amount of truth was sacrificed for the sake of entertainment.
April 24, 2011
I don't see the appeal in this movie. A very cliche sports movie with no great acting anywhere, I have no idea how Bullock won an Oscar for this. It is also extremely over exaggerated, even by Hollywood's standards.
½ April 28, 2011
The Blind Side is so terrible I want to die when I think about how awful, awful Sandra Bullock won the Oscar.
½ April 20, 2011
Sandra Bullock gives a strong performance, but some may find the material a bit boring here. Well-made movie, but just REALLY not my style.
November 21, 2009
Certainly wasn't my idea of an Academy winner, I have to say. It is not the worst movie I ever saw, actually quite enjoyed the first half of it, but once the football bits kicked in, I really did become increasingly bored by this - though I did watch the entire movie.
I didn't really like Sandra Bullock here. I can appreciate she is a little too old now for the chick flicks, and let's face it, her recent ones have sucked anyhow, but she is really miscast as Christian do-gooding Leigh Anne. She is so hard bitten here, she really comes across as a rich bitch. Maybe Julia Roberts could pull this off, but Sandra can't.
It is a nice story and apparently true, but it felt kind of patronizing. Unconvincing more than bad.
michael e.
January 2, 2011
only for people who love football other than that its okay