American Son Reviews

April 6, 2014
I wish I could say I brought myself to sit through all of this because I could see the potential, but it was so unbelievably slow-moving I just couldn't stand it after the first half. Maybe I'll revisit it eventually, but I definitely could not take it today.
April 16, 2013
A pretty good film with a surprisingly solid performance by Cannon. This film tells the story of a Marines final 96 hours before being shipped off to Iraq. This is a very important story of American soldiers that is told told in a respectful, candid and entertaining nature. 6.5/10.
August 8, 2012
Sometimes rambling & undefined.
½ October 1, 2011
well done story of a marine's last 96 hours b4 shipping off to iraq well paced and kinda sad.
June 12, 2011
This movie wasn't that good. It's like they just threw a bunch of pieces together and said ok we got a movie. The girl who plays nick cannon's love interest is rather annoying. I thought this movie was going to be way better.
December 31, 2010
Very well made. Nick Cannon's best movie to date. Very well acted and emotional. Not the right film for everyone, but I loved it.
November 2, 2010
only if your really boerd
½ October 25, 2009
'American Son' is a dramatic turn for actor Nick Cannon,and arguably his best movie since 'Drumline.' Yes,his acting still could use much improvement,but somehow it felt like he actually embodied a troubled,young man torn between his duty to the army and his duty to his loved ones at home.With more roles like this,maybe people will start considering him to be more of a serious actor.
½ September 28, 2009
Meh. That's about it.
½ September 2, 2008
Are you tired of cliched movies about gangs and love? Well, here's another one - just in case you haven't. Mediocre, semi-believable performances, awfully silly script development, obnoxious characters, lack of depth, wrong soundtrack listing, endless scenes and duration and...overall just a bad film that needn't have been made. I've personally seen movies like this one hundreds of times before only better. Another Americanized attempt to touch our cold hearts. That fails.
½ August 20, 2009
in RT twice. Nick Cannon just isn't convincing, but he does try. The story never really grabbed my attention and had too much repetition and it's too slow. Unoriginal score. Boring.
August 20, 2009
February 8, 2008
Good acting, not really sure where the plot was going. Just a bunch of random interactions with people during the weekend.
½ August 16, 2009
average movie.. romance, a little comedy and no war action at all...consequences on becoming a US Marine and going to war...
½ June 1, 2009
Good film, compelling performances.
½ July 13, 2008
A good film premise goes awry. The performances and story are far too uneven. Jay Hernandez provides scene stealing moments as an injured soldier, in probably his best acting to date. The story could have made more of a potentially strong and different idea for an Iraq/War story. Too bad it wasn't more. An unneeded love story that develops in 4 days. Stupid.