Critics Consensus: Salt Is Moderately Tasty

Plus, Ramona and Beezus is sweet but dull.

This week at the movies, we've got a spy on the run (Salt, starring Angelina Jolie and Liev Schreiber) and some feuding sisters (Ramona and Beezus, starring Selena Gomez and John Corbett). What do the critics have to say?
62%
Template Image
Fresh

Salt

Now that the Cold War is long over, they don't make thrillers like they used to. Oh, wait, maybe they do. The critics say Salt is a solid, meat-and-potatoes spy flick with a standout performance from Angelina Jolie -- and, unfortunately, a completely preposterous plot. Jolie is Evelyn Salt, a CIA agent who goes on the run after being accused of spying for the Russians. Will she be able to prove her innocence? The pundits say Salt is an effective popcorn movie that firmly establishes Jolie in the upper echelon of action stars, bar gender. However, many also note that even popcorn movies need cohesiveness and believability, and that Salt is often tripped up by its gaping plot holes.(Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we run down Jolie's best-reviewed movies.)

41%
Template Image
Rotten

Ramona and Beezus

Filled with true-to-life vignettes and mischievous humor, the works of Beverly Cleary have long been staples of the pre-teen reading diet. Now, Ramona and Beezus is finally getting the big screen treatment, and the result, say critics, is pleasant but generic. Newcomer Joey King stars as Ramona, the irrepressible scamp that drives her big sister Beezus (Selena Gomez) up a wall with her wild imagination and penchant for making a mess. Will sisterhood ultimately win the day? The pundits say this is sweet, innocuous fare that's well-acted and mildly amusing, but also ultimately kind of dull and sitcommy.

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

wow...INCEPTION again :D.

Jul 22 - 07:13 PM

Danetto

Dan Nikolaevskij

salt looks quite cool...

Jul 22 - 08:18 PM

Merc With a Mouth

Sawyer Jackson

I'll be seeing Inception again this weekend. It's a good thing that I got a free movie pass at the midnight showing last week, but I'll save it for a movie that I know I will like.

Jul 22 - 08:18 PM

waggaga1

noel noel

Haven't seen Inception yet, but I might check out Salt as well... Looks popcorny.

Jul 22 - 08:27 PM

Alec D.

Alec Dmowski

Inception is gunna dominate these.

Jul 22 - 08:53 PM

Erica S.

Erica Seaberry

Screened Salt Tuesday night, will be paying to see it tomorrow at noon. Angelina and Boyce are worth it!

Jul 22 - 09:01 PM

Hans M.

Hans Morgenstern

I knew I'd see a bunch of "Inception again"s. I am looking forward to seeing it more than once, but have to get the theater first! It's at the top of my list! So, informally, "Inception again" from me too.

Jul 22 - 09:30 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Nothing interesting this week. Looks like Toy Story 3 and Inception again.

Jul 22 - 09:53 PM

Crazy Pup

Andrew Duran

Inception!

Jul 22 - 10:20 PM

Hemal B.

Hemal Bhawani

Considering I had to sit down for Last Airbender yesterday (don't ask) would I get better entertainment from Salt? Answer only if you've seen the movie.

Jul 22 - 10:39 PM

Josh C.

Josh Crawford

Yes. Oh my freaking god, yes. Let's put it this way: I'd rather see Eclipse than that piece of garbage again.

Jul 23 - 07:25 AM

Cory

Cory B

I'll be going to Inception again, this time with five friends. The Expendables needs to get here ASAP.

Jul 22 - 10:50 PM

K

KateBeckinsaleLover Clarke

For all those who haven't seen Inception yet, GO SEE IT RIGHT NOW! After now having seen it four different times I can gladly say that it still doesn't ever get old. As far as this week's new releases go, I'm surprised that Salt has scored that high. I was expecting it to be more in the mid-40s range, but it looks pretty cool nonetheless. And Ramona and Beezus is exactly where I was expecting it to be.

Jul 22 - 11:12 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

Inception, Round #2.

Jul 23 - 01:28 AM

saran1

Saran Chari

i'm psyched for this!

Jul 23 - 02:33 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I'm disappointed with Salt. The trailers looked decent but I guess the plot is too unbelievable. Another movie in which Jolie acts decently but everything else is sub-par.

I have no interest in Ramona and Beezus. Live action children/family films have tended to be mediocre at best in recent.

The Kids are All Right is opening today at the AFI theatre in Silver Spring MD (the closest theater to my home that shows limited release and foreign films) so I'll probably check that out this weekend.

Lastly I'm going to predict that Inception wins this weekend again. That movie is very conductive to multiple views. Salt will underperform (as much as Cruise's Night and Day perhaps) and Ramona and Beezus will do horrible because it isn't the type of movie that appeals to young girls these days.

Jul 23 - 05:07 AM

Stephen G.

Stephen G

With Angelina's ability to 'inhabit' her roles with such honesty (how many actresses these days can actually do that ?) it's a crying shame that she's so 'type-casted' (not many movies where she DOES'NT have a gun, close at hand) but much like Tommy Lee Jones, she's always fun to watch. I think a 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' sequel is in order, before she gets tired of running and jumping around, and dodging bullets.

Jul 23 - 05:43 AM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies