Total Recall: Natalie Portman's Best Movies

Summary

Child actors are notorious for fizzling out once their prepubescent charms disappear during adolescence, or once they discover the various vices of the adult world, and it seems to be the rare case when a young starlet can overcome these hurdles and transition successfully into a career of grownup roles. Natalie Portman is one such success story: after making her debut as a 12-year-old in Luc Besson's Leon The Professional, Portman gradually took on more adult roles until she was playing everything from a young, widowed mother (Cold Mountain) to an emotionally manipulative stripper (Closer). This week, she stars alongside Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal in the family drama Brothers, so we felt it was the right time to take a look back at the extensive filmography of this young star to determine Natalie Portman's Best Movies. Back to Article

Comments

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Gotta agree Colin, I think a lot of folks wanted Star Wars to be good and feared fanboy backlash, couple that with the fact that Revenge of the Sith was so much better than the other two I think the 80% can be attributed to a sigh of relief more than anything.

Dec 1 - 07:40 PM

thisisallwehave

Edgar Gonzalez

That would be sweet.

Dec 1 - 07:55 PM

TheEmoPianist

Christopher Runyon

ARGH WHY THE PREQUEL MOVIES!!

Well, at least V for Vendetta is there. That film kicks ***...

Dec 1 - 08:12 PM

David W.

David Whitney

I for one am sick of people making comments about how much the Star Wars prequels sucked...did they have lame moments and some bad acting? Yes. But do they deserve the backlash they are constantly receiving from every stupid fanboy who's in the mood to criticize something? I think not. All three were given fresh ratings, which means they must have been doing SOMETHING right. I for one really enjoyed Revenge of the Sith and thought it was well-deserving of its 80% rating. I felt that it easily surpassed the quality of the other prequels and even Return of the Jedi. Of course, it seems there will never be a shortage of people out there who jump on the hate-wagon.

Dec 1 - 08:31 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

David W: Not sure if you were referring to my comment or someone else's, but just to be clear, I actually thought the prequels were pretty decent. They had a lot of problems but they were still fun, and I actually gave Revenge of the Sith an 8/10, so I personally do agree with the 80% rating. All I was getting at is that the critics usually don't have much tolerance for the kind of flaws the prequels suffer from. I have no problem enjoying an action movie of questionable quality for what it is, but sadly some critics cannot, so I would have expected the prequels to have lower tomatometer ratings.

Dec 1 - 09:37 PM

David W.

David Whitney

@Colin the Cimmerian

Yes, I think I understand where you're coming from...I would imagine that many of the critics, at least for the first two movies, were probably childhood fans of the Star Wars series and may have been a little more lenient than they would with another movie. Really, though, to me the only problems with the first two were some bad acting and poorly written dialogue. The story was a little weak in Episode I (and Jar Jar is extremely annoying), and some of the love scenes in Episode II were simply horrible. But I still feel that people can be unnecessarily harsh.

Dec 2 - 10:06 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

natalie was good in V and closer

Dec 1 - 09:00 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

Dec 1 - 09:37 PM

David W.

David Whitney

@Colin the Cimmerian

Dec 2 - 10:06 AM

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

lol @ at the spam above me. i LOVE the portman rap... so freakin hardcore. that girl will always be one of my biggest crushes in hollywood.

Dec 1 - 10:26 PM

JohnnyJonJon

Jonathan Groen

After seeing that video, her coolness video went WAY up in my book. You go gangsta Natalie!

Dec 1 - 10:29 PM

Solonik -.

Solonik -

No Where The Heart Is?

Dec 1 - 11:23 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

I totally forgot that the first two SW prequels are, indeed, fresh on this site. huh.

Dec 1 - 11:37 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Its a New Generation of aesthetic tastes, dude.

i guess if i was born in the late 1980s or early 1990s I too would like these films as all time faves.

Dec 2 - 05:27 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

I never seen that SNL rap skit. (Thanks RT!) Natalie Portman is officially the coolest chick on Planet Earth.

Man! that was funny.

Dec 2 - 05:57 AM

Kudama

marcus farrellus

I already liked her, but when I saw her at the V promotion at ComiCon she rephrased her answers to the same question about 15 times so as not to make the fans look lame. It was so intelligent and compassionate that I couldn't help liking her very much as more than just an entertainer. She is brilliant, I'm telling you.

Dec 2 - 07:44 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

wow, THREE of the star wars are on her top 10 films? i thought she was a tad overrated but that speaks for itself. phew. some of her acting in those movies(not all her fault) was laughable. nobody should have any of the 3 new star wars flicks in their top anything. nobody but mcgregor was decent in terms of ACTING in those.

my fav flick of hers is Closer. awesome flick, awesome cast...perfect execution. Beautiful girls was good too. Heat doesn't count for me though...she's not really a main character. i don't remember her yelling "GO!" to her buddies...and firing off rounds at rollers after a bank heist.

Dec 2 - 08:25 AM

David W.

David Whitney

@Colin the Cimmerian

Dec 2 - 10:06 AM

Dizzle

Levi Damione

How the hell do ANY of the Star Wars films get fresh ratings? There must have been some serious geeks doing the reviews. Those movies were some of the worst crap ever put on celluloid.

Closer, V for Vendetta and the Proffessional are all great films. Forgot she was even IN Heat (sounds like I am talking about a female dog). If she was an extra in something, does that still make the list? Shouldn't she have to actually have a main role? Relying solely on the fresh rating is simply Rotten Tomatoes way of taking the safe route with this list.

Dec 2 - 11:02 AM

H.A.K.

The-Lords Autistic-knight

oh seriously? garden state is #2? that should be # 1 man.

Dec 2 - 11:16 AM

H.A.K.

The-Lords Autistic-knight

oh seriously? garden state is #2? that should be # 1 man.

Dec 2 - 11:17 AM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

Rotten Tomatoes excuse for more fandouche whining #2187...

Dec 2 - 12:08 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Well, 10-6 certainly don't belong on anyone's best list. She needs better movies to be in.

Dec 2 - 12:36 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel