Five Favourite Films with Nick Love

Nick Love

Nick Love isn't known for heart. The film which earned him his "From the director of..." title card, The Football Factory, is nothing if not violent, loud and not particularly critically well-loved. His follow-up, The Business, recasts Danny Dyer and sets itself in the Costa Del Crime world of 80s Spain and had a similarly rocky reception with reviewers. And yet he's one of Britain's better-known directors, suggesting he talks to an active audience of cinemagoers.

With The Firm, Love revisits themes present in both films -- the 80s and football-fan violence -- but has more in common with his lesser-seen debut feature, coming-of-age comedy Goodbye Charlie Bright. Early notices have been warmer than Love tends to receive from critics, with Empire declaring the film, "intense, exciting and impressive."

RT caught up with Love to rundown his favourite films and chat about the flick.

Comments

millionairecupid.org

Linda green

Sep 17 - 08:47 AM

spitting into the wind

ciaran kelly

Crap list from a crap director.
HEAT is a terribly overrated movie.
The firm is alright if dated but I understand why its there.
Planes, Trains is just not that funny.
The King of Comedy is brilliant.
Ans I havent watched Midnight Cowboy in years.
But I despise this directors work so much, glamourising hooliganism like it was something to be proud of, that anything he is associated with is going to suffer because of his sheer presence.

Sep 17 - 09:18 AM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Heat terribly overrated? /credibility off

Sep 17 - 09:58 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Midnight Cowboy is a great choice, one of those Best Picture winners that gives Oscar a good name.

Sep 17 - 10:05 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Heat is not without its flaws, but it's still a fascinating movie. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is one of my all-time favorite comedies. Mostly a good list by a director I'm not all that familiar with.

Sep 17 - 10:39 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Heat
King of Comedy
Plains, Trains,
Midnight Cowboy

they are all wonderful

Midnight Cowboy is true American Cinema: The MPAA slapped it with an X, the audiences and critics across the world adored it and the MPAA gave it an R

RATSO: I'm walkin' here; I'm Walkin Here

and what an ending. . . they made it to Florida though!!!!!!

---
Plains, Trains . . . is a most heart-warming movie. Thanksgiving
YET again very John Hughes-"Republican" . . .until I moved away from Radnor/Villanova, Pennsylvania I never knew a world other than "Republican:" very orderly, very wealthy, very "safe"

John Hughes movies are very "safe" and "orderly" and "idealistic" (i.e. Republican) which is good . . . until you match John Hughes movies up to localities unlike The Main Line (Pennsylvania)
---

Heat
Al Pacino acts the same way in every movie
overrated, yes
but very well directed action-sequences and ambient score by Hans Zimmer.
---

Sep 17 - 10:51 AM

Dave J

Dave J

I'm detecting a little jeolousy from " Spitting into the wind" since all the movies that this Nick Love has chosen had also mentioned the Godfather and Mean Streets are all on average of more than 89% on the meter except for the Firm which only 2 people had submitted a review for. I am however not familar with the movies Nick Love's involved in nor do they seem that appealing but his list of 5 favorite movies is self-explanatory.

Sep 17 - 11:32 AM

inactive user

Jared King

"Heat" is one of my top 10 favorite films so I like this list. Plus, "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" is funny. So I'm sold.

Sep 17 - 03:54 PM

Mann is the Man

Jonathan Higgins

Finally! Somebody recognizing the brilliance of Miami Vice (not in his top 5 but he said it was a toss up)! I always thought people were too hard on Miami Vice; heck I was when I first saw it. But after analyzing it on repeat viewings, I enjoyed it more and more. I urge people who have seen it and dismissed it to watch it again.

Sep 17 - 03:56 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Miami Vice" would've been good if it had the same feel of the show. But for the I hate it.

Sep 17 - 08:45 PM

kingcaesar

Abdul-Aziz Alfa

I'm I the only one that thought Miami Heat the movie sucked. I've seen THe king of comedy once and tried to see it a second time but it was too ****ing real, too awkward, I turned it off during the scene at Jerry Lewis house, it was too unbearable.

Sep 17 - 06:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Sep 17 - 08:45 PM

Timmsie1974

Andrew Timms

Planes Trains is pure genuis. Exhibit A; "those arent pillows"

Miami Vice is utter tosh with dialogue no-one can understand. Jamie Foxx is nearly as annoying as Kanye

Sep 18 - 03:19 AM

David W.

John Warner

Heat? Hell, yeah! Heat is in my top 10. It's a mediocre list, though. "Midnight Cowboy" is incredibly dated. I understand why it was good when it was first released. It just doesn't hold the test of time, in my opinion.

Sep 18 - 02:53 PM

MADDAZ

Darren Anderson

Heat is way overated. Good film yes, Classic film no. I still think Manns best movie is The Last of the Mohicans. Now that movie is a classic. Miami Vice was a big let down and was nothing like the show.

Sep 18 - 08:59 PM

thedownstar

ryan brown

a safe list...good, but safe.

Sep 18 - 09:51 PM

mary s.

mary smith

Sep 20 - 07:19 PM

john t.

john thomas

These are his favorites,good or bad.None of them would rank in my top 100 but they didnt ask me.I guess that old adage should be EVERYONES A MOVIE CRITIC.

Jan 1 - 08:27 PM

calin l.

calin laurentiu

@ gordon franklin: elliot goldenthal did the score for Heat, not hanz zimmer.

Jan 5 - 06:34 AM

calin l.

calin laurentiu

@ gordon franklin: elliot goldenthal did the score for Heat, not hanz zimmer.

Jan 5 - 06:35 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Good Friday