My One and Only - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My One and Only Reviews

November 30, 2010
Agreeable comedy follows a mother as she attempts to find a new father for her two young sons after catching her husband with another woman. Actor George Hamilton's real life reminiscences on The Merv Griffin Show form the basis of this road movie about his childhood. Renée Zellweger plays the self absorbed woman who unrealistically thinks she can simply get by on charm alone. She is the matriarch of this rather eccentric family of three and their slight adventures form the bulk of this occasionally entertaining film. Despite her capriciousness, she remains a likable character and the best reason to see the film. Period detail of the 1950s is painstakingly recreated.
SC007
½ September 17, 2010
Logan Lerman's performance is the best reason to watch this film. He steals the movie. Logan happens to be a fast rising star in Hollywood with impressive performances in 3:10 to Yuma and Percy Jackson. He reminds me of a young Tobey Maguire. He should have gotten the Spider Man role in the Spider Man reboot. In this film, Logan really shines.

The film is well cast, with an nice ensemble. Renee Zellweger is ok playing Logan's mother. The film kind of reminded me of a Neil Simon kind of film. The dialog is sharp and well written. The big problem with the movie is the pacing, which is completely off. Had they fixed the pacing up, then the film would have been much better.

However, despite the pacing problem, the film is worth checking out, especially for Logan Lerman's performance.
½ July 8, 2010
I thought it was very cute and funny. The story was enjoyable, the acting was great. I enjoyed myself. I was expecting that Renee's character Ann would end up with her husband again even though I was really rooting for Nick Stahl's character Bud. I have to say I was actually surprised by the way it turned out.

I don't think it was the most perfect movie. Sometimes it seemed a little cheesy, but overall it was good. And what a wonderful cast to boot. I would recommend giving this a try.
September 19, 2009
A coming of age story at times hysterically funny and other times quite moving. Great performances from the cast, but its the script and direction that set this film apart. Also interesting to find who the story was based on. Thoroughly enjoyable.
December 26, 2011
this flick was so boring, I started doing the math on my head trying to figure out how old all the characters would be now.
October 22, 2009
A nice, breezy coming-of-age yarn. The story is that of an upper-class woman returning home one day to catch her bandleader husband sleeping around. Having none of it, she takes her two boys (one grounded and practical and the other a Project Runway Queen), cleans out their safety deposit box, buys a new card and sets off for a new life -- or to find a new rich man to provide for her and her children. Although I have nothing negative to say about this film, I also do not think I would highly recommend it to many of my friends either. It is just there ... another story and a pleasant diversion.
August 6, 2011
This was a pretty decent movie. It was rather drawn out and the mother's outlook on life was ludicrous. I did like the way things worked out in the end and the resolution to the conflicts within the family.
July 5, 2011
It wasn't great. But, it wasn't terrible.

Things I liked about it:
The actors- They were very believable and impressive.
The lesson- It shows how important it is for family to stick together. Although, it is NOT a family movie.

Things I didn't like:
The scattered and out-there plot- Some times the plot would move to places and I would say, "What? Where did that come from?" And I would get totally confused. And other times, the plot would move too slow and I would get bored.

But overall, it wasn't a terrible movie. But nothing that will live on forever.
September 23, 2010
just ok this period piece set in 1953 has all star cast that tries to make the most out of a story that is uninteresting or characters i don't really care about.
March 31, 2011
Fairly good flick about mom trying to take care of her boys. I enjoyed the small part played by the daughter on "Castle." :)
½ March 19, 2010
I wasn't impressed. I love Renée Zellweger, but this wasn't her best performance. I totally called the ending, which is always frustrating in movies like this. I can't say I was terribly interested, either. I actually turned the movie off, and came back to where I was two days later. Scenes were out of place and it was overall messy. But, the acting, I have to say, was phenomenal. I was thoroughly impressed with Mark Rendall's performance - very well played and gave the movie some spark of interest. Logan Lerman was very angst-y, but did give the movie a balance between George and Robbie. Though I've seen better Renée Zellweger movies, I have to say that I did buy this one.
½ July 17, 2010
"My One and Only" is one of those small movies that flies under the radar for a number of reasons. It has an unfortunate title (too generic), no car chases, and no special effects. There are no vampires. But it has two things that 95 percent of modern movies lack: a script brimming with humanity and wit, and a cast of actors obviously in love with the film. Reportedly, "My One and Only" is loosely based on the early life of actor George Hamilton. If Hamilton's teen years were anything like events in this film, they must have been colorful, indeed.

As the movie opens, young George's mother, Ann (Renee Zellweger), finally has enough of her philandering, bandleader husband (Kevin Bacon), and so packs up George and his half-brother Robbie (Mark Rendall), assuring them that their new life on the road will be "an adventure." Ann rashly purchases an expensive, 1953 Cadillac Eldorado. This acquisition is just the first of many unwise decisions Ann will make as she dallies, disastrously, with a series of potential new husbands across the country.

Ann might be delusional, but she is also tenacious. Just as Blanche DuBois "always depended on the kindness of strangers," kindred spirit Ann has her own aphorism: "Everything works out for the best." Well, maybe not always. I have never been a big fan of Zellweger's acting. I did like her in "Jerry Maguire," but that was a long time ago. But Zellweger doesn't simply carry "My One and Only," she turns in an unforgettable performance. What can I say? I am now a Renee Zellweger fan.

"My One and Only" is a "road-trip" movie that shines because there are so many genuine, small moments that aren't essential to the plot, but that nonetheless stand out. Every character this gypsy-like family encounters on the road is flawed, but also likable. When Ann, George and Robbie depart Pittsburgh to continue their journey, thereby cutting short a tenuous romance between George and a freckle-faced sweetheart named Paula, the camera lingers on the girl, who is sad to see them go. So was I.
July 7, 2010
Though predictable, Zellweger gives a more than memorable performance in this pleasant biopic. Logan Lerman is also worthy of being mentioned--and he has a very long and very successful career ahead of him, should he play his cards right. A memorable film.
½ June 17, 2010
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up

I really liked the cast and was very entertained. One of 2009's better films.
½ April 3, 2010
Surprisingly enjoyable! The performances were great all around! It kept my interest the whole time. Renee Zellweger is good, but she plays the same character all the time I feel like. More dynamics please!
March 3, 2010
I got so bored after 20 minutes of this movie, that I just skipped to the end to see if the ending motivated me. It did not.
February 27, 2010
Funny and Light hearted. Renee Zellweger and Kevin Bacon give Great and at times funny and touching performances. The film has some great 1950's costuming.
Matt S.
February 27, 2010
This was a piece of sunshine compared to most romantic/comedies these days that it actually has genuine laughs, entertained me, was satisfying, has a neat story, it also has a little bit of an intimate coming of age drama as well. The performances were great in this and Renee Zellweger was a delight to watch and it cracks me up and was interesting that this was an loose biography on actor George Hamilton's childhood with his mother and how they went on a journey to find love and self discovery. This also worked as a period piece as well and it captured the 1950's perfectly and added even more character to the flick and I don't know why but this flick kind of reminds me of the other road flick Calendar Girl, it's better of course. Overall this was an highly enjoyable movie that had not one dull moment in it and it's just one of those rare feel good flicks of yesteryear. See it! More of a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
½ January 17, 2010
Fun, sad, and turns out to be a bio of George Hamiliton as a teenager. I loved it I hope you will too!!!!!!!!!!!!!