Critics Consensus: Kick-Ass Is Certified Fresh

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got hapless heroes (em>Kick-Ass, starring Aaron Johnson and Nicolas Cage), and madcap mourners (Death at a Funeral, starring Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan). What do the critics have to say? Given the recent glut of superheroes on the big screen, it was inevitable that we'd get a film that both relishes and satirizes the genre (sorry, Superhero Movie, you don't count). Critics say Matthew Vaughn's hotly-anticipated Kick-Ass largely lives up to its name, even if some find its ambitious approach a bit scattershot. Three years ago, Frank Oz had a modest hit with Death at a Funeral, which revolved around a series of wacky misadventures in the wake of a Brit family patriarch's death. Now Neil LaBute tries his hand at similar material with a mostly African American cast, and critics say the result is generally uninspired. Back to Article

Comments

August M.

Agustin Macias

Kick-Ass! Whoo!

Apr 15 - 05:11 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Between the Internet publicity that's backing Kick-Ass and Titans needing a photo-finish to win last weekend, I think it's a safe bet we'll have a new #1 this weekend.

Apr 15 - 05:13 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Uh...Duh!

(Pardon my snarkiness, but I saw & reviewed this film 2 weeks ago. It's...amazing!)

Apr 15 - 05:15 PM

Drew M.

Drew McGill

Going to the midnight showing of KICK-ASS tonight! Going to rule :D So excited for it. Kind of sucks that it's so hyped up though. Now my expectations are to high probably.

Apr 15 - 05:27 PM

Merc With a Mouth

Sawyer Jackson

I think a better title for this article is Kick-Ass Kicks Ass. Also, going to see the movie tomorrow. Haven't read the comic yet but I'm very hyped for this movie.

Apr 15 - 05:35 PM

waffleslayer

Eric Fowler

I probably shouldn't have too high expectations for Kick-ass, but I pretty much self hyped it when i first saw the very first trailer. Oh well, I'll find out tomorrow if the wait has been worth it!

Apr 15 - 05:41 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

i hope kick ass lives up to the hype

Apr 15 - 05:45 PM

69BUCK

JIM GRONEFELD

I've been waiting for a movie worth seeing. It looks like Kick Ass is this year's Watchmen [at least] in a lot of ways. Can't wait to see it.

Apr 15 - 06:02 PM

BlackPanther

Thomas Grady

Apr 15 - 06:37 PM

WallEField

Matt Welch

I hope it's not this year's Dark Knight or Watchmen. I'd hate to have yet another fanboy hyped superhero film that's basically full of crap and is all hype with little to no delivery. Let Kick Ass be this year's....Kick Ass. A movie that stands on its own two feet and is brilliant from start to finish (I hope).

Apr 16 - 12:43 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

This year's Dark Knight?... "fanboy hyped superhero film that's basically full of crap and is all hype with little to no delivery"?... Where can I see this horrible film you're talking about? Clearly, you're not referencing The Dark Knight that the rest of us saw. Clearly.

Apr 16 - 05:25 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Please, for the love of all that is holy, do NOT turn this thread into a TDK rant. Good Lord!

and Watchmen was boring.

Apr 16 - 06:51 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

F.ck you, rle4lunch. ;-)

Apr 16 - 07:49 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Ha. Which part pissed you off? The TDK or Watchmen comment? Or both? lol.

Apr 16 - 08:30 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Interesting to see so many people bash Watchmen, which I thought to be an amazing movie. It was almost exactly like the comic, except for the squid, which is a good thing cos I hated the squid.

Admittedly, I only saw the Ultimate Cut, having opted to wait for it instead of seeing the watered-down version in the theater...

Apr 16 - 12:43 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

lol. You know I'm a kidder.

Apr 16 - 01:26 PM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Ya man, I know. :) Just going along with it.

Apr 16 - 04:35 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Glad to see Kick-Ass lived up to its potential mostly. There are not any theaters around me playing it(damn you Carmike Cinemas!!!!), so I am driving 25 miles to see it, so it better deliver!

Apr 15 - 06:55 PM

theatrebear

Chris Baldock

Kick Ass has been playing here in Australia for a week. And it is AWESOME! Definitely lives up to the hype (although I don't think it had as much hype here). Some people have hated the excessive language and violence but I took it in the spirit it was intended and walked away from the most entertaining film I have seen since The Dark Knight. Enjoy!

Apr 15 - 07:01 PM

Critique Threatt

Brian R

Kick-Ass is a film for dumb minded individuals and this film in five words is just plain DUMB-DUMB-DUMB-DUMB-DUMB!

Apr 15 - 07:08 PM

lizardo_manson

Juan Figueroa

you sir are very idiot, you should fell shame of yourself for such stupids comments. Keep yourself watching how to train a dragon kind of stuff.

Apr 15 - 07:49 PM

Thelastholdout

Douglas Wake

Hey, How to Train Your Dragon was extremely good. *Almost* Pixar level (points off for a little blandness in some scenes and the fact that it wasn't an original story, but rather an adaptation)movie. But I doubt Critique Theatt even saw Kick Ass, and if it goes the direction I think it is, it's going to actually have some intelligent things to say about vigilantism and the effects a violent life may have on children.

Apr 15 - 10:05 PM

lizardo_manson

Juan Figueroa

you sir are very idiot, you should feel shame of yourself for such stupids comments. Keep yourself watching how to train a dragon kind of stuff.

Apr 15 - 07:56 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Dumb-dumb-dumb". Genius discussion.

Apr 15 - 08:18 PM

Tipton B.

Tipton Brian

I agree. It is a dumb movie. Contrived, un-original in any way, exploitive. If you want to see a well made movie about everyday vigilantes dressed up like superheroes, try Special with Michael Rappaport. Or Defendor with Woody Harrelson. Both of those films do exactly same thing, only better. However if you want to see what 6 million bullets looks like on-screen, and be talked down to by 14 year olds, by all means...

Apr 19 - 05:00 PM

Easter In The Batcave

Alex Sallas

Woah! Read through this whole article and wasn't expecting to see my name in it and then: bam! I was taken aback! Thanks for the shoutout Rotten Tomatoes!

Apr 15 - 07:09 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Props well-deserved; that is an uncanny prediction. Well done!

Apr 16 - 12:13 AM

Easter In The Batcave

Alex Sallas

Thanks man!

Apr 16 - 01:18 PM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

"...who came the closeset to..."
Aha. I think they have a typo in there somewhere. But yeah, good job!

Apr 16 - 03:35 PM

Easter In The Batcave

Alex Sallas

Didn't notice that! Lol! Thanks!

Apr 17 - 11:18 AM

lizardo_manson

Juan Figueroa

I think the damn clash of the titans will eat all the tickets, which sadly at least in the theater i was it was like 7 from 8 people bought for clash of the titans. And i wrote sadly because the movie is really awesome.

Apr 15 - 07:47 PM

jager00x

Benjamin Cousins

clash of the titans = 6 or 7 (greek mythology/ action movie with no boobs and pg-13... why did they even make the movie)

Kick Ass = Amazing... Best comic book live action movie since toby mcguire in spiderman

Apr 17 - 02:24 AM

jager00x

Benjamin Cousins

btw "bullet proof vests" dont actually work like that

Apr 17 - 02:26 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Kick-Ass will be the first 2010 movie I see (I saw Crazy Heart in February, which was a 2009 movie....)

Interesting that most of the negative reviews stem around violence and profanity, particularly over Mortez. I never read the comic but I don't think it would be gratuitous I mean this is a satire by the way. Altho I do understand why parents don't like the idea of a rated r movie staring a 11 year old kid swearing and violently killing. I'll see the movie tomorrow morning and see how Hit Girl is.

Apr 15 - 07:49 PM

lizardo_manson

Juan Figueroa

Apr 15 - 07:49 PM

Thelastholdout

Douglas Wake

Apr 15 - 10:05 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

People loved Watchmen. Ranted and raved. Thought it was the greatest. Looks like Kick Ass is the same kind of thing. I'm sure fans of the book will love it. But will regular, non-comic book reading, average movie fans appreciate it? I doubt it. I'll probably see it next week, but I'm not listening to the hype at all.

I'm not sure about Death at a Funeral. The previews look good, but then again the movie could completely suck. I'll wait to see how it does before deciding to see it.

Another week I hope How to Train your Dragon does well.

Apr 15 - 07:51 PM

lizardo_manson

Juan Figueroa

I'm not a comic book fan and still enjoyed the movie, but to say that non comic fan will not like this type of music is a little vague.

Apr 16 - 07:01 AM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

Uh, he didn't say anything about music in his post. You mean when he said, "...but I'm not listening to the hype at all."?

Apr 16 - 03:38 PM

Tipton B.

Tipton Brian

Yes, the violence in Kick Ass is completely off the chain. No, it has nothing to do with why I disliked the film as a whole. It's not presenting anything new in the way of superhero films. If it didn't have $10million in advertising, no one would give a rat's ass about it. Not only does advertising sell tickets nowadays, it influences public opinion. No one wants to admit that they spent $40 to see a film with a date and that it wasn't worth the money.

Apr 19 - 04:55 PM

lizardo_manson

Juan Figueroa

Apr 15 - 07:56 PM

Matt Alex S.

Matias Sabaj

here in Argentina we have to wait until June to see Kick-Ass! :( (at least in theaters :P)
damn you "wide" release!

Apr 15 - 08:04 PM

R B.

R B

"Kick-Ass is this year's Watchmen? No this is this year's Dark Knight, a super hero movie that will literally have your head spinning after you left the theater and making you head back in line."

Dark Knight is mostly boring and extremely pretentious. I couldn't wait to leave the theater. You Dark Knight fanboys are the worst.

Apr 15 - 08:17 PM

Cory

Cory B

TDK is "mostly boring and extremely pretentious"?

I said this to a guy who was trashing Iron Man, and I'll say it to you. If you're going to stake out a position that's WAY out in left field, the least you could do is not state it like it's a fact. Especially considering this is a matter of taste, and taste is purely subjective to begin with.

So you thought TDK was boring. Lovely. Over 90% of critics and RT users (and 100% of people I know personally) would call you insane. So for your own sake, keep your arrogant anti-TDK rants to yourself.

Apr 15 - 09:42 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Dark Knight sucked and I will tell you why all you fan boys liked it. Because Ledger died. All you retards are just like wrestling fans. You could be the most hated wrestler in the business, aka Owen Heart, but if you die by God suddenly you were a sweet guy and oh I always loved him and nobody better say anything bad about him. Ledger sucked and I never saw one movie of his that was good.

Apr 16 - 04:26 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Hey...I fall in the camp of BATMAN BEGINS being superior to DARK KNIGHT, but to say the film sucked is a pretty big blanket statement. I reserve 'sucked' for Uwe Boll, Michael Bay, Stephen Somers, and Brett Ratner, and the rest of their ilk but never Nolan. Even his 16mm black-and-white THE FOLLOWING doesn't suck.

On Ledger:

Of course his death worked wonders for his popularity. But let's be fair, why didn't Gilliam's PARNASSUS receive similar adulation? And you're forgetting that 'before' Ledger smacked on gobs of clown make-up for DK, he was an Academy-award nominated actor, so I think its safe to say he has a modicum of talent. Maybe you haven't seen everything he's done.

But, you're right; after his death a widespread, memetic trend engulfed DK catapulting it into the stratosphere.

A co-worker of mine, falling into the hardcore 'fanboy' category, weeks before DK hit theatres was practically worshipping over Ledger's corpse, praising his genius to cinema and whatnot. It was pretty hilarious when I interrupted his worship with this question:

"It's funny how suddenly there's millions of fans of Ledger...but I'd bet 99% of them haven't seen his most critically-acclaimed performance."

That's when I asked him if he'd seen BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN...and what could he say? How could he in front of everyone at work, like millions of Ledger's followers, admit they were true fans of his acting work without seeing his most acclaimed role? Then there's the stigma of being 'labelled' as a homosexual for even seeing BROKEBACK! Sheesh!

Homophobia: it kills Ledger fans on the spot.

Apr 16 - 04:52 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

You're still stupid, I see. After all this time.

Apr 16 - 05:30 AM

Cory

Cory B

Who are you to tell me why I liked The Dark Knight? I liked it because it was good. Period. If you want more specifics, read my review. If you have enough time to take your foot out of your mouth, that is.

Quit making blanket statements about subjective topics and pretending that they're facts. It reflects poorly on your arguments.

Finally, I loved Batman Begins. So... who from the cast of that film died?

Apr 16 - 10:18 AM

Cory

Cory B

Also, you like Saw. LOL! If you like that one and hate The Dark Knight, you've made me even more confident in my Dark Knight-loving ways. Thanks!

Apr 16 - 10:20 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Dachshund96

If I do remembered correctly Dachshund96- you're the guy that made a homophoebic remark on Ian McKellen starring on the Ring films, as well on Jessica Alba. You're nothing but a young hyprocritical bigot who has nothing but bad taste in films. If you don't like The Lord of the Ring" films because Ian McKeller is gay, just say so. Your maturity really shows here on these forums.

Apr 16 - 02:46 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Jessica Alba looks like a conehead with giant lips. I don't like her. Ian is a f a g g o t who rips up bibles in hotels but none the less, and despite PJ's horrible ending to the Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Rings was a good movie. So whats your points? Do you deny he is a ***? Can you not look past Alba's body to see her face does not look good at all? Typical beta male. If you were Alpha the face would come first and hers looks like sh it.

Apr 16 - 07:18 PM

Cory

Cory B

So Ian McKellan is gay and rips up bibles. What difference does it make? How does that affect the movies he's cast in? As long as he doesn't rip up your copy of the bible or scream about gay rights at you, why do you even care?

It makes no difference at all. There are many gay people that are actors, athletes, writers, etc. That trait is irrelevant to their profession and body of work. I think Ian McKellan is an amazing actor, and if you hate him just because he's gay, you're wasting your energy at best and you're an outright bigot at worst.

As for Alba, yeah, she's way too plastic for my tastes. But if someone else thinks she's hot, good for them.

A final point about The Dark Knight. I realized you're right about it. I couldn't possibly like it for the great performances by Bale, Caine, Freeman, Eckhart, Ledger, and Oldman. I couldn't possibly like it because of the fantastic action sequences and the epic moments, like the truck flip, which had the whole theater cheering the night I saw it. I couldn't possibly like it because of the well-written dialogue, genuine drama, and well-paced story. Thanks for helping me see the light.

Apr 16 - 09:17 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Apr 17 - 03:15 AM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

When I went to see it there was no cheering or clapping. Then again I was at a Drive In also. It was the second feature by the way it had been out a while and I wanted to see the first movie playing.

Apr 17 - 03:18 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

Knuckle dragger. Moving right along.

Apr 17 - 03:57 AM

Cory

Cory B

!You went to a place full of fanboys and they were cheering. Am I missing something?~

Yeah, little bit. Namely, you're handing out personality traits to people you don't know, a glaring logical fallacy. And... you conveniently ignored the things in my post that you didn't want to respond to. Nice.

Apr 17 - 06:47 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Wow I really dont know how to feel at this point after reading some of these comments.

1 - I love LOTR and think that individually and collectively they are pretty close to being masterpieces.

2 - I think Sir Ian McKellan is an absolutely brilliant and immensely talented actor. I dont really put much thought into things such as his lifestyle or personal choices because frankly, they arent any of my business.

3 - Listed under my RT profile, my celeb crush is Jessica Alba. (Dont worry Jessica, I still love you).

4 - I thought TDK was brilliant because of the movie that it actually was and not the movie that it was hyped up to be. Whatever effects on critical and commercial reaction Heath's death may have had on the movie, one thing (to me any way) does not change and that is the fact that I thought his performance and Aaron Eckhart's performance were both equally brilliant and stole much of the limelight from Bale. I think its a very unfair and easy way out for some critics of TDK to simply accredit Heath Ledger's death as the reason TDK was popular and successful, is that all it takes for a movie to be good and successful? Be honest and dont give lame answers now.

Apr 17 - 05:23 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Dachshund96

My point is why would anyone want to listen to what you have to say with all that bigotry- And as I also recall, you also "don't" like seeing Latinos on screen!!! It must be extremely hard to enjoying anything what you see on screen because you're a bigot and a racist!!

Apr 19 - 11:40 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Dachshund96

"Ian is a f a g g o t who rips up bibles in hotels but none the less"

My second point is because you don't like Ian McKellen and that this is how you "feel" about him, why do you still continue to watch the movies he's in!! You sound like a hypocrite to me!!

Apr 19 - 03:26 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

It's amusing that while being yourself pretentious, you site pretentiousness as a flaw against TDK. lol. Classic. And bullsh.t, by the way.

Apr 16 - 05:28 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Matunaki:

I assume your comment about DK being 'pretentious' was directed at R.B. since he's the only one who actually called it 'pretentious'. On those grounds, I guess I'll also assume your 'stupid' comment was also directed at R.B.

The 'reply' feature on RT doesn't always make it clear who's responding to who here. Maybe you should clarify.

Apr 16 - 06:40 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Dude, that's what's f.cked up about the new reply feature! The pretentious comment was, yes, meant for R.B. but the stupid comment was meant for that assclown Dachshund. Man, I completely hate the new reply feature on RT. And, with appologies to the staff, I think it is thoroughly retarded. Most often now, we have to play the "Who's Response Is It Anyway?" game now, and that's some goddamn bullsh.t.

Apr 16 - 07:44 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

lol, yeah, I feel your pain dude. Yeah, the reply feature is, well, unnecessary. It may make sense for a AVATAR thread (where 300-400 comments seemed the norm), but there's gotta be a better way RT.

This reply feature is actually quite confusing and is probably going to create a lot of misunderstanding, or force people to address their comments by name to their intended.

That's seems, well, superfluous.

Kudos to RT on ridding (for the past 2 days) the spam; (knocks on wood). Guess 'Devon' single-handedly forced 'em out. Or something like that.

Apr 16 - 08:34 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships