Marvel Movie Madness! Part 25: Kick-Ass

Summary

Alex: The question: Could America handle an ultra violent movie that glorified, and even slightly sexualized the actions of a 12-year-old femme fatale? Probably, but Matthew Vaughn never even gives us the chance. An R-rated comic book movie needs to hit and it needs to hit hard. Vaughn instead tries to soften the blow every chance he gets, overstylizing and resorting to tricks like plopping obvious pop songs over action scenes. Here's a Joan Jett song just in case you wanted to be sick of it again! The movie can be appealingly bratty but that's hardly a counter to Kick-Ass' lack of discipline: too many characters, too many meandering subplots, too many too-clever ideas it struggles to be in your face about. Back to Article

Comments

-apocolyptic-

chris armit

: Could America handle

Wow douchebag. america became the only country/continent on this planet?

Jul 1 - 09:23 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

CHill. America was the primary audience for this movie. Hence why they said that.

Jul 2 - 12:45 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

That's how Americans think though: America is the only country in the universe. . . me too sometimes. When China buys General Motors within 30 years from now, Americans will have a different perspective.

Jul 4 - 11:35 AM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

If you live in a country outside the US of A, you get used to it.

"Oh no, the aliens are coming to earth, the entire NATION is in peril!!"

Yawn.

Jul 13 - 05:02 AM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Slow down Rotten Tomatoes. You guys just did Spider-Man 3 and you're already on Kick-Ass? Well anyway, I sort of liked the first two acts of this picture where it was trying to stay true to the comics its based on. By the third act I tend to agree w/ Alex and Luke, that Vaughn decided to play it safe and tone the film down. He even changed the ending to a more fantastic and sappy Hollywood ending (flying away from the scene of the last act carnage on a jet pack...seriously). What girl in her right mind would jump the bones of some guy who admits to pretending to be her gay friend just to be close to her? In the comics she gets some kid to beat him up for it, then later emails him pics of her performing lewd sex acts on the assailant. The moral of the comic book is that trying to be a super hero in the real world will get you hurt and/or killed. The moral of the movie is, little kids cursing and killing is awesome.

I did like Nick Cage's imitation of Adam West's Batman, and the action was choreographed well enough. Chloe Moretz is a pretty good actress for one so young, though I wasn't as big a fan of Hit Girl as Matthew Vaughn and co-writer Jane Goldman wanted me to be. Maybe if she were an actual character and not just an excuse to have a 12-year-old girl drop F-bombs, kill hookers, and wear a school girl outfit (seriously, how creepy was that). It was a good try, but I think I'll pass on the sequel when and if it ever comes.

Jul 1 - 09:37 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Wow, there's a lot of fanboyism on this discussion board. I think this is the first Marvel Movie Madness post that has had this much childish insults and hurt feelings just because the RT staff had different opinions. Let's all try and be adults here folks...unless of course you're not adults in which case try and act like adults.

Jul 1 - 09:43 PM

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

Could not agree more, especially about Hit Girl.

Jul 1 - 10:25 PM

Steven M.

Steven Matthews

I figure the reason they did Kick Ass the same day as SM3 is because monday is the 4th, a holiday. Those guys probably dropped this on the net and were out early for a 3 day weekend. Which is kind of weird if one realizes that they obviously put a lot of thought into the article, that they all seemed to come to the same conclusion with, but tried so hard to make it seem like they had a different opinions. Well that's my guess...

Jul 2 - 05:39 AM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

I never read the actual comic this movie is based off of but from what I heard going into this movie I too was surpirsed at how relatively tame it was. I was expecting them to take things further as it seemed to be the point of adapting this into a movie in the first place. That said, I really enjoyed what I saw. The movie was so briskly paced and finely executed that it felt exciting to me the whole time even though the actual plot was nothing special. Cage was my highlight but Johnson and Mortez had great screen presnece too. The fight coreography, as stated above, was also top notch and it was just witty enough the keep things fun.

Jul 2 - 11:34 AM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Noah's comment below me says it best. It's the sudden tone shift that keeps me from liking this movie. It went from visceral semi-realism, to fantastic and cartoonish. If Vaughn kept true to the theme of "normal people shouldn't ever try to fight real crime," instead of shifting it to, "lethal and vulgar minors are awesome," I probably would have liked it.

Jul 2 - 07:01 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

But yeah, the actors are pretty good in it, especially Cage whose patented zaniness is always welcome w/ me.

Jul 2 - 07:02 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I enjoyed the movie until the final beat with the jetpack. I just....sigh...the film went from hyper-reality to a f*cking jetpack - which is fantasy. You can't do that. It COMPLETELY negates the statement you built up until that point.

Jul 2 - 12:48 PM

Pammie B.

Pamela Bryant

I think if you spend enough money, you can get a jet pack. It may not be powerful enough to transport 2 people a very long distance, but it is not sci-fi anymore.

Jul 4 - 11:50 AM

Odd E.

Odd Even

They had one at a football game and showed it on live tv. That was like ten years ago. I'm sure they have better ones now.

Jul 4 - 03:44 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Pammie- I could only find jetpacks being developed now, not for sale. So here's the deal - you need to find and cite the claim that you can buy one now (not just something to levitate you, but to also carry 2 people and operate a machine gun while being stationary in flight). Two reasons why: 1)I still don't believe they currently exist 2)I need to know how much money I need to save up if it DOES exist!

Jul 4 - 06:07 PM

Pammie B.

Pamela Bryant

I want one too!!! Yeah, I researched them and like you said, they can't transport two people and they don't come with machine guns....so I guess you won the argument on that being too fantastic for this movie. But this is what I found:

Jetpack International have just announced and made available for preorder a true JET pack. The company already has a vast experience with H2O2 jetpacks and has two models for sale.

Hydrogen peroxide packs are basically rocket backpacks. They have two main disadvantages: the fuel is dangerous and extremely pricey, and their flight time is very short (measured in seconds). With a jet engined pack, you?ll get far longer airtime, and you only need cheap and widely available jet fuel.

While their rocket-powered packs are only used internally and for demonstration purposes, the jet-engined one will be available to ?selected public? and after ?extended training?. Its price ? including training ? is of $200.000. Sure, the price is steep, but imagine what an experience this is.

Specification-wise, this one?s far better than its rocket counterparts: it can fly for 19 minutes (the H2O2 ones do less than a minute), at a speed of 83 miles per hour. All of this is done using only 5 gallons of jet A fuel (costs less than a sixpack).

It can reach a ceiling of 250 feet, and can?t carry pilots heavier than 180 lbs

Let's get one!! :)

Jul 4 - 07:15 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

See, now you had me all excited that there WERE jetpacks in real life - so now I'm bummed they aren't real. I say that 12 of us chip in whn the first commercial jetpack is released in a few years. Each of us get the jetpack for a whole month, then give it to the next person. Like a time-share jetpack.

Jul 6 - 01:44 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Jul 1 - 09:43 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

their not douches, they just stated their opinions.

Jul 1 - 10:00 PM

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

Could not agree more, especially about Hit Girl.

Jul 1 - 10:25 PM

Maalstrom Aran

Tom F

This movie shocked me. I loved it. I had no expectations when I rented this and it had me both bug-eyed and laughing more than once. Nic pulls off another unique character and our hero with no offensive strength gets to play with a wicked jet pack/minigun.
I thought Kickass getting full-body reconstructive surgery to increase his defense was clever and unexpected. He tried to fight but he just got beat up most of the time.
I should really buy this on BluRay. I need to watch it again. I'm sure I've forgotten a good portion of it.

Jul 1 - 11:19 PM

evanset6

Jason Bolinger

Agreed. Kick Ass is one of my favorite comic films ever. I don't know what movie these guys were watching, but they're idiots.

Jul 2 - 04:03 AM

bamb0o-stick

Jonathan Y

I second that. I took my friends to go see it and we all had a great time watching it. Great dark humor and action.

Jul 2 - 04:08 AM

Steven M.

Steven Matthews

Jul 2 - 05:39 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I'm a sucker for the humor in this film. Like the scene when the mob boss is driving down the street and sees who he thinks is Kick Ass. "What's with all the hi fives? I'll give you a hi five!"

Jul 2 - 06:50 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

agreed.

Jul 2 - 06:50 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Who's more the douchebag, them for not liking Kick Ass or you for calling them names because of it?

Jul 2 - 06:52 AM

Odd E.

Odd Even

None Mat, because you just showed me that you're a bigger douche than me and them.

Thanx

Jul 4 - 03:40 PM

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank

Best Comedy Actress