Weekly Ketchup: Kick-Ass 2 Officially Greenlit

Summary

This week's Ketchup covers a seven day period that seems a bit more "Rotten" than usual, or maybe recent weeks have just been that "Fresh." Included in the mix are a Jimi Hendrix biopic, sequels to Kick-Ass and The Smurfs 2 (yes, a sequel to a movie that's not even out yet), and new roles for Cameron Diaz, Paul Rudd and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Back to Article

Comments

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Kick-Ass 2: I wonder who will be back in the movie?

The Smurfs 3 may be a little rotten, but still don't even trust the critics.

Friedberg and Seltzer haven't used the words "Give Up" yet because I hope they could make another movie that will certainly be a big mistake. Scary Movie 5 is fresh for me, but the Date Movie and all those crappy films they had needed to go away. The Starving Games? I could make up another title called "The Osama Bin Laden Dictator Games!"

May 12 - 11:13 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I'd actually pay to see "Friedberg and Seltzer Give Up". Like a wake. A little malt on the floor. Good riddence. If it keeps them off screens forever, it'll be money well spent.

May 12 - 07:04 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

I agree with you. Which [blank] movie sucked the most from Friedberg and Seltzer?

May 16 - 06:13 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I'd rather see Del Toro's Pinocchio than Tim Burton's. Seriously? The Starving Games?! The spoof genre is dead courtesy of Friedberg and Seltzer.

May 12 - 11:54 AM

Todd A.

Todd Anderson

Don't know if Pinoccio is really that fresh. I've already got a great animated film based on that property. Disney already did it great about fifty years ago.

May 12 - 12:14 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

No Pinocchio film will ever top the Disney classic, probably one of the top 2 or 3 animated films of all time. But I still look forward to this Guillermo Del Toro version which should darker and closer to the original novel.

May 13 - 01:16 PM

Devin Stevens

Devin Stevens

Awesome and amazing for Never Back Down? No, just no.

May 12 - 01:24 PM

kak10053

Kelsey Koester

I'm kinda skipping all over the place here.
Hopefully they bring in a good director for "Kick-Ass 2" because that is what was so good about the last one, the directing and lighting.
I'm not really sure about the Clifford The Big Red Dog movie. The books were good that the cartoon was good but the movie wasn't anything special. And going by the director, it will probably be bad.
The Smurfs was really bad, the second one will be worse and the 3 one will be the worst.

May 12 - 01:30 PM

King  S.

King Simba

While I doubt it'll be as good as Disney's version (even if it is more faithful), I'm still ineterested to see Del Toro's version of Pinnochio, especially now that he's going to direct it rather than just produce it.

So wait, so they're going to make a Jimi Hendrix biopic without using any of his music? How are they going to manage that? Why don't they just make a Babe Ruth biopic without showing any of the baseball stuff?

I actually like the screewriters they've chosen for Smurfs 3. Chicken Run, Spiderwick Chronicles, Over the Hedge were all solid films. On the other hand, when have these CGI/Live action hybrids ever been really good? For that reason, I'm assuming Clifford is also going to be a miss quality-wise (why don't they such make it fully animated?)

While I'm a fan a lot of Schwarzenegger's past work (as an actor of course, not a politician), none of his new projects really interest me. Then again, it's not like his career was doing so hot before he went into politics. I don't think he's starred in anything truly great since True Lies.

I wonder how long did it take for Seltzer and Friedberg to come up with that hilarious pun (Hunger Games - Starving Games, get it?) Seriously, how these guys are still making movies is a mystery to me. Yeah, their movies have been succesful for the most part thanks to their low budgets, but that has nothing to do with their writing or directing. The studio could have asked a twelve year old to direct Epic Movie and they might have gotten a better and more succesful product. There is simply nothing redeeming these guys bring to their movies. I mean at least Michael Bay can bring good action to his films (hell, compared to Epic Movie, the humor in Revenger of the Fallen seems as sophisticated as Dr. Strangelove) and M. Night Shayamalan can excel at mood....okay I gotta stop ranting.

May 12 - 02:13 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Not sure why Pinocchio is a fresh idea. I'm thinking GUILLERMO DEL TORO could find something better to do with his time. Even Hellboy 3 would be better.

May 12 - 02:20 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Del Toro is directing it, that's why it's fresh. And he's already confirmed a jird Hellboy movie.

May 12 - 07:03 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

possibly In The Mountain Of Madness as well....sounds like he's got a full slate

May 12 - 09:01 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'm doubting he will do 'Madness' as he says Prometheus has basically the same storyline so there's no point. As for HB3, skip Pinocchio and go right to it please.

May 13 - 03:14 PM

King  S.

King Simba

That might happen. Disaster Movie bombed, and while they managed to find success in Vampire's Suck, it still didn't do as well as their earlier films, and they were going after such an easy target, one that had amassed quite an amount of hatred that there were probably a lot of people who went to see Vampire's Suck just to show their hatred of Twilight (Not sure how forking over money for a film that makes Twilight look oscar worthy by comparison is a good way to express your hatred, but hey there are people who think like that). Hunger Games hasn't gotten nearly the same amount of backlash, so I doubt a spoof of it could manage the same success. Hopefully it ends up bombing like Disaster movie.

May 12 - 02:20 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Too much ?

May 13 - 01:38 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

^^^ This. All the way, this.

May 12 - 04:19 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

I haven't read any of the Kick Ass comics, but wouldn't Chloe already be too old to play Hit Girl again? The little girl factor isn't really there anymore (I'm fighting the urge to break out into a Gary Puckett song here). Or is she a teenager in the sequel comics (or is that comic sequels)?

May 12 - 05:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I don't think Aaron Johnson can pass as a teen anymore either. Frankly, I'd rather just see the Hit Girl film. (But honestly, I'd rather forget the whole thing...)

May 12 - 07:08 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Thesauri are funny. But, right, are you saying that "The Blubber Games" (fat people fighting to the death) wasn't the obviously better idea? Like they're getting paid for actual jokes or something?

May 12 - 06:55 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I think they already have fat people fighting to the death. It's called "The Biggest Loser" *ZING*

May 14 - 10:52 AM

Elias Blondeau

Elias Blondeau

Ha-HA, I see what you did there. By the way, nice Cooper profile picture, I've just gotten obsessed with Twin Peaks.

May 14 - 11:14 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

LOL Thanks yo. I loved the whole series. The second half of the second season is enh, but I think there should have been at least one more season.

May 14 - 04:20 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Better idea: stop watching their movies. (I'm looking at you Brandon C)

May 12 - 06:58 PM

Jealousy!

May 12 - 06:59 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Because there won't be any Hendrix music in it. You know, that stuff he was famous for.

May 12 - 07:01 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday