17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Kick-Ass Reviews

John M

May 9, 2010
Full of action, humor, spunk, I laughed i cried, i was like holy shit. This was full bore action with dark humor. Chloe Moretz is just awesome as Hit Girl. I mean just brilliant.
Kevin C

August 20, 2013
A ton of non-ironic overacting, stilted dialogue ("deprecating a bunch of guys" ?), and weirdo genre shifts (copying a dumb studio superhero film cliche isn't a joke in itself if the film doesn't say anything about said trope-- that just gives your film a legitimately hollow and dumb cliche) can't sway me from not being head-over heels about this movie: the anarchy is just so tasty.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
Amazing on many levels! Lives up the title and goes beyond! A visual treat combined with comic-like violence and a hint of every superhero story that is out there in the world today. The stabs at cliches in this film are far beyond brilliant, but after a while that is all this film does until the end, which is great, but it keeps it from having that "loving" type of feel. This movie is Hilarious, Gory, Dramatic, and Action Packed, what more could you want? This is one of the best films of 2011 for entertainment reasons, and I can watch it over and over again. Aaron Johnson kills it in the main role and the supporting cast all have their share of big moments as well. This is a great Superhero film, but that title is definitely up for debate. I love "Kick-Ass" for everything that it is, and everything that it is not.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

January 29, 2010
"With no power comes no responsibility. Except, that wasn't true."

Kick-Ass does what it promises and delivers a story that is so rousingly awesome, and has such a great narrative flow to it, that you'd regret to look away for a single second.

I love all the comic-book references and the very conscious, stylistic directing. Not to say the music, the acting and visual effects; all of supreme caliber and working in perfect harmony. Especially as it comes to the soundtrack, which features a great, eclectic mix that adds a lot to the overall effect of the film.

As for the action, it certainly pulls no punches. However rompish it may appear at face value, it holds the brutality-level of a Tarantino flick and is just as violently well-crafted.

So if you're expecting something along the lines of Superhero Movie, then you're in for a real surprise. This is bigger, better and so much cooler that the two of them don't even compare.

After countless re-watches, still my favorite film of 2010, and one that not only cleverly satirizes the superhero genre, but passionately pays homage to it.

If you haven't seen it yet, make sure you do. Because this is about as good as an ass-kicker of said category can get.
garyX
garyX

April 10, 2010
When teenage geek Dave Lizewski decides to become a superhero even though he has no powers whatsoever he becomes an overnight internet celebrity, not reckoning on meeting a couple of real vigilantes in the form of a vengeance obsessed ex-cop and his daughter. In the real world, what kind of people would want to don tights and become crime fighters? It would probably be a combination of inept, comic obsessed nerds and violent psychopaths, and so it is in Kick Ass. The film is a kind of homage to comic book heroes. Or a grittily dark high octane action film. But neither. And both! It's a bit hard to describe because it's quite shizophrenic in nature; one minute teenage nerd comedy as it concentrates on the character of Dave, the next a kick ass action movie when Hitgirl and Big Daddy crash the screen. It's always done with its tongue firmly in its cheek however and it never descends into the typical action-comedy formula. It has plenty of references to keep the comic fans happy, Cage's insistence on talking like Adam West every time he donned his costume despite the gruesome violence he doles out is particularly amusing and seeing a gang of ruthless criminals taken apart by an eleven year old girl is something glorious to behold! It does have a couple of cheesy crowd/studio pleasing moments, but generally it's a genuine oddball that's immensely entertaining. The film Kevin Smith would have given his left testicle to have made.
michael e.
michael e.

November 10, 2012
The film wasn't bad, it just wasn't the laugh out loud, ultra violent, entertaining film I've heard so much about & thought I was gonna get. the action was great, the music was very good, and some of the dialogue is pretty funny. It just didn't keep me very entertained a lot. lot of the time I was just waiting for something to happen or something funny to be said. Just sitting, watching a not very interesting protagonist. Nicolas Cage and Chloe Moretz are okay and Mark Strong is his normal great dickish self but the rest of the cast just doesn't appeal to me. It is okay for a first viewing but it does fall into a lot of teen film cliches and jokes too which are just predictable and cringeworthy
Stuart B

April 12, 2010
Love this film and have watched it many times, excellent twist on the superhero theme and can't wait to watch the sequel when it arrives.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 13, 2011
Damon Macready: Mindy, no more homework, Babydoll. Time for Frank D'Amico to go bye-bye.

"Shut Up. Kick-Ass."

Kick-Ass is the perfect combination of high school comedy, superhero farce, and violence. Not to mention it's fucking cooler than fuck. The movie has a beginning that doesn't really set itself apart from other comedies, but the setup doesn't take long to get us to the true film. The movie is just a good, fun time for awhile; but it takes off when Big Daddy and Hit Girl meet up with Kick-Ass. Then the movie gets funnier, more exciting, more violent, and more cool.

I'm going to say right now, what makes this movie so cool is Hit Girl played with amazing power and finesse by Chloe Grace-Moretz. She's phenomenal and her performance is my second favorite ever from a child actress, only behind Tatum O'Neal's performance in Paper Moon. Obviously a lot of humor comes from the over the top, ridiculous way that she is presented. She's an eleven year old girl that utters lines like these....

Hit Girl: Okay you cunts... Let's see what you can do now!
                     and...
Hit Girl: Hey Green asshole! You can't use the front door now!
                     and...
Hit Girl: You just contact the mayor's office. He has a special signal he shines in the sky; it's in the shape of a giant cock.

...Then she beats the shit out of everyone... or shoots them.... or stabs them. There's going to be people who think her character is offensive and that we shouldn't present a child character in such a violent way. Those people can suck a dick.

A high school loser and huge comic book fan wonders why no one ever tries to be a superhero. Then, after ordering a green suit, he tries his hand at it. It starts out rough to say the least. Soon though, a video of him beating up a gang goes viral and everyone knows who he is. He meets two other superheroes and gets wrapped up in their agenda of bringing down a big crime boss. He balances his life as a superhero, along with his life as a high schooler.

Aaron Johnson pretty much kills it as Kick-Ass. He looks like just another geek, but he presents himself to the audience as not just another teenage loser. He wants to change things, but he can't; can he. Nicholas Cage and the aforementioned Moretz also are amazing as the father-daughter hero team. This was probably the best role Cage has had in years; maybe back to his work with Herzog in Bad Lieutenant.

This is just a really cool movie. Matthew Vaughn brings it to us with great a style and a great sense of timing. He knows when to shift tones and does so at the drop of a dime. There's great music choices that fit scenes perfectly. The dialogue is funny, smart, and unpredictable. He gets the best out of every actor, every scene, and every shot. He uses a good supporting cast to further the relationships and does so with a realistic feel.

I've seen Kick-Ass many times now, and it's always a fun and joyous time. There's so much to love and absolutely nothing to hate. It's a step down in the raunch level of most comedies of this ilk, but it's also a step up in the violence section. I wouldn't ever throw this into the teen comedy genre though. It's so much more then just another American Pie in a different setting. It's also more than a fake superhero movie. It's a different film and one that is almost impossible to not enjoy.
Wildaly M

June 9, 2012
Not my style of movie but original.
Lucas M

February 1, 2012
In the beginning, Kick-Ass look just another cliche action movies, just like Spider Man franchise, The Meteor Man, Scott Pilgrim and present a couple (the characters of Aaron Johnson and Lyndsy Fonseca) without any kind of enthusiasm and very boring; but Vaughn's picture is a new level of violence, profanity, black humor and a lot of blood, what make a unique kind of hero film and show a great duo by Nicolas Cage and the terrific Chloe Moretz, which character is much more better that Kick-Ass. Fresh.
Albert K

April 5, 2011
Dare I give this movie a worse rating than Tranformers? Yes. An incredibly weak script and cringe-worthy lines that tried too hard to be funny. This movie was not funny, not entertaining, nor was it relatable. The gore and the raw language did not fit with this disjointed and uninspired piece of crap.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 5, 2010
So good! A great film...
3niR
3niR

June 22, 2010
At first, I thought this movie was going to be hella stupid as the first scenes were full of unfunny stuffs. But it started to get exciting from the middle and turned out to be awesome at the end.
Sophie B

September 22, 2011
A brilliant, original idea that avoids a lot of the stereotypical 'teen film' situations. The cast is good and they work well together and I think this is a great performance from Nicolas Cage especially. Mark Strong did a great job as usual. A big problem for me was that Cage died. His injuries didn't seem substantial enough to kill him but hey, I'm not a doctor. I could predict a lot of what was going to happen as it's the opposite of what would normally happen in a Hollywood film but overall is was thoroughly enjoyable.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 8, 2010
A new breed of superheroes will be revealed.

Saw it again!! Excellent!!! That movie will get the critics nuts!!! A great story with some great funny/action/violent scenes.

In New York, teenager Dave Lizewski is a loser at high-school, a fan of comic books and ignored at school. He spends most of his time with his friends Marty and Todd who are also comic book fans. Dave has a crush on Katie Deauxma but she in turn does not even notice him. One day, Dave decides to make a difference to his life by becoming a masked superhero named Kick-Ass. In his first superhero role he attempts to prevent a car theft by two punks, but he is inadvertently stabbed by one of them and hit by a car later. Dave is taken to hospital where his bones are fixed with metal. When he recovers, Katie begins to notices him. That night, Dave helps a man being hunted down by three guys in front of a cafeteria, the teenagers record the fight with their cell phone cameras. Then they put the footage in Internet and Kick-Ass immediately becomes famous. Meanwhile the powerful gangster Frank D'Amico believes that Kick-Ass is responsible for actions against his gang and plots a scheme to destroy him.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

August 24, 2011
When I first started watching this (only a few days after I had seen Scott Pilgrim) I thought it was going to be just another unknown adaptation that would squeeze a few giggles and nothing more. I was REALLY surprised at the quality of this movie. Funny, thoughtful and intensely dark this movie made me read the comic book of which I am a great fan of now.
TheGame90
TheGame90

August 16, 2011
I enjoyed it. It's pretty humorous. It has a very comical way of using brutality...and that was fun. And it's one of few movies where I can watch Nicolas Cage without feeling any uncomfortability or disgust...And that's a win in my book.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 27, 2011
Kick Ass was just okay for me at first, but on a second viewing it may be one of the funniest films of the year. A nerd decides to become a hero named Kick Ass but soon is taken into the underground of superheroes of the city. The movie is hilarious and actually a little good hearted. The plot is fun and cool, but a little long. I think they picked the wrong person to play Kick Ass, but other than that the cast was great. I really enjoyed this film, Roger Ebert was wrong on this one.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
Downright epic. This movie has everything, badass superheroes, badass fights, badass little girls, and the only good performance I've seen of Nicolas Cage in a long time, still hate him as an actor.