Five Facts About Alice in Wonderland

Summary

Over the past 20 years, director Tim Burton and his chiseled muse Johnny Depp have proved an extremely fruitful pairing. From the gothic beauty of Edward Scissorhands, through the campy farce of Sleepy Hollow to the eye-popping lunacy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, they have given us some of the most memorable movies of recent years. Fans eagerly await their latest collaboration, Alice in Wonderland, in which Depp plays The Mad Hatter opposite newcomer Mia Wasikowska as Alice. RT takes an exclusive look behind the scenes on the film to discover that Tim Burton dislikes motion capture, Mia Wasikowska hates green screen and that making an animated cat is more difficult than you might think... Back to Article

Comments

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

Tim Burton is a very talented director, sleepy hollow and ed wood are his best in my opinion.

Feb 3 - 11:11 AM

Jaklyn K.

Jaklyn Keen

Ok he thinks Motion capture looks weird? I love Tim burton i really do however if he can make a statement like that i feel maybe we will be seeing the end of Tim Burtons visual run in cinema within the next ten or so years. Stan Winston who he used in many of his other films said we need to accept this motion capture because it is the future of creating meaningful characters...the collaberation between makeup and effects is what brought us some of the most convincing animations of our time such as Gollum and King Kong and ofcourse the Navi. I will see this film with high hopes but it seems Tim may have lost his edge to high tech visuals. Especially with that ''pig'' in the trailer...Alan Rickman is worth seeing it though as the Caterpillar.

Feb 3 - 11:22 AM

jvcarroll

James C.

Burton and lack of motion capture (yay):

Until Avatar, motion capture has looked weird. Zemekis' dodgy work with it has soured many people to the technology that Cameron's team perfected. I don't think just one technology should be in a filmmaker's toolbox. It's a blending of what works best for the intended effect. It isn not accurate to believe that "all" films will be motion capture in the future. I doubt that's what Winston was saying. Evidently Burton didn't think it fit into his vision and I support his choice to find alternatives. Why must everyone jump on the same bandwagon. I'm certain Burton will use motion capture down the line when he feels it looks good enough...and that could be soon. But I wouldn't mind if he never used it. He doesn't need it.

Burton and Selick proved that classic technologies can be new and popular again with the stop-motion animation use in Nightmare Before Christmas. The whole value and charm of that film would be gone if it were made today in motion capture CGI. I think that's what Burton is talking about when he says motion capture looks weird to him. He doesn't relate to it and he doesn't need to.

Feb 3 - 01:50 PM

Jaklyn K.

Jaklyn Keen

That is a very good point. I just feel that his vision has not traveled so well in the last few movies...especially with full cgi characters...I love Sweeny Todd. Its one of my favs. However he never used CGI characters in Sweeny...as he did with Charlie and the Chocolate , the vision was dated in that and it never traveled well into cinema and most people dont recognise it anymore. If he wants to have his vision speak through the character that is fully CGI motion capture is just about the only way to go....Avatar was not the first time it was used ofcourse Gollum and most of all King Kong which is the best use of motion capture (I think) If you watch the making of Kong , it is incredible at how much work went into using Andy Serkis as kong and Studying the movement of Gorrilas. That is what Motion capture is for it is to get the full expresions across as well as emotions. I think as movies move foward it has to do with the realistic use of technology...I actually hate the Red Queen in this movie. I love her as an actress...but I think the head bigger than the body looks silly almost cartoon like. When I heard about this project I feaked with joy... (thinking it was going to be like Sleepy Hollow feel but Alice) but after seeing the trailer I feel it will be like Charlie and the Chocolate factoy...about the same feeling...its going to be just what he said he doesnt want...by thinking things just look cool but no character development. He says this movie has more plot. I will have to see this to believe it. It looks all visual to me. But frog boy you made a good point with Nighmare.

Feb 3 - 02:24 PM

Takis I.

Takis Iomos

Just because it has cool visuals that are similar to Charlie says nothing about the plot. I do not think that you can be turned off or lower expectations just by seeing some photos and special effect pictures. Tim Burton is not less of a director when using good visuals, even if you thought that his most recent film's plot was weak despite good visuals.

Feb 3 - 03:05 PM

Jaklyn K.

Jaklyn Keen

Ok this is how I feel...The best movies with use of CGI...T2 it was used to make you believe what was happening was real it was a tool not the soul focus. Lord of the rings....another tool to make you believe that gollum was real it made you feel as though you could touch him. King Kong (2005) A human played him...all his emotions feelings and then they went through and worked very hard to make it feel real. The Navi, every movemnt was real it was done by an actor...it was in control by the director. Now imagine Alice with characters that have emotion but look and feel completly real. A person emersing themselves in ''being'' the Cheshire cat. And having Helen actually being the red queen distorted to Tims style but looks completly convincing and real. I feel that it looks lazy to simply make the head bigger and rely on the technology Tim Burton is comfortable with. Alice would have been better if it looked and felt completly real that is the point im making. Imagine Depp playing the mad hatter and instead of makeup to make him look crazy (from too much exposure to mercury) actually making him look sick distorted and give him eyes that dont look like contacts...actually making them his eyes. This is motion capture. That is how you enthrall an audience through emotion. By having a soul behind every movment and emotion. I will still see Alice but from looking at the trailer it seems nothing more than a cartoon. We have pixar for that.

Feb 3 - 03:18 PM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

...pretty colors...

Feb 3 - 11:58 AM

Adam P.

Adam Paddock

I think it is important to remember that all adaptations from novels to film are problematic. With a story like Alice in Wonderland which has so many adaptations, Burton has a chance to see what has worked and has not worked in the past. By the way, the worst adaptation from a novel I have ever seen was newer version of the Count of Monte Cristo. Anyone who has read the novel left the theater looking for an airplane curtosy bag.

Feb 3 - 12:02 PM

Dave J

Dave J

With the twisted and the bizarre films that Burton makes as of late, I'm extremely curious what the hell he's going to do with this Alice in Wonderland vehicle!!!

Feb 3 - 12:36 PM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

I just find it funny that Burton critisizes the other adaptations of Alice, because if its one thing his films are known for, its style over substance, especially since he started becoming dependant on CG.

Feb 3 - 01:00 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

I think Burton has become to reliant on what people expect from him nowadays.

I don't want to come off as a troll or something but Burton has really been pretty terrible with his recent films. Sure their beautiful in scenery but when it comes to story he just plain sucks.

Feb 3 - 02:35 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

I think Planet of the Apes is his biggest mis-step.

Thoughts...

Feb 3 - 02:50 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

Yes it was weak in fact his weakest but even then I can't forgive him for his most recent films. I'll admit I thought Sweeney Todd was alright his best in quite a while but even then I didn't enjoy it compared to his earlier films nor does come to mind a lot when I think of entertaining films from recent years.

Feb 3 - 03:10 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

Whats your favorite film?

Feb 3 - 05:36 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

My favorite Burton film... hard to chose between Pee Wee and Ed wood I think when it comes down to it his other films can't top those.

Feb 3 - 06:20 PM

The Avenger

kenneth kinderman

his best film is the pirates movies.

Feb 3 - 06:38 PM

Both great films.

While Pee Wee as Burtonesque moments, both films stand out from the rest in the TB style dept.

Feb 3 - 07:43 PM

minderbinder

anonymous anonymous

"especially since he started becoming dependant on CG"

When exactly did he become "dependant" on CG? This seems to only be his second movie with much noticeable CGI, the other being Charlie.

I guess there was probably a bit in Sweeney Todd for scenery extension and gore, some smoke/fire/water effects in Corpse Bride, and probably some spaceship stuff in POTA.

But this is the first time he has really used CGI characters. Even Charlie didn't have much of that, just a few sequences here and there that probably couldn't be done any other way. If anything, I'd say Burton stuck with prosthetic makeup and practical FX longer than many other directors have.

Feb 5 - 11:36 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

So when Depp, Atwood and Burton got together to discuss the mad hatter, did they all agree that he should look exactly like Elijah Wood or was that just an unfortunate accident?

Feb 3 - 01:09 PM

Jaklyn K.

Jaklyn Keen

Feb 3 - 03:18 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Another fact.

It's strangest movie since "Antichrist".

Feb 3 - 02:22 PM

Jaklyn K.

Jaklyn Keen

Feb 3 - 02:24 PM

Takis I.

Takis Iomos

Feb 3 - 03:05 PM

Jaklyn K.

Jaklyn Keen

Feb 3 - 03:18 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

I think Burton has become to reliant on what people expect from him nowadays.

Feb 3 - 02:35 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

I think Planet of the Apes is his biggest mis-step.

Thoughts...

Feb 3 - 02:50 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

Feb 3 - 03:10 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

Whats your favorite film?

Feb 3 - 05:36 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

Feb 3 - 06:20 PM

The Avenger

kenneth kinderman

his best film is the pirates movies.

Feb 3 - 06:38 PM

Both great films.

Feb 3 - 07:43 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

I think Planet of the Apes is his biggest mis-step.

Thoughts...

Feb 3 - 02:50 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

Feb 3 - 03:10 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

Whats your favorite film?

Feb 3 - 05:36 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

Feb 3 - 06:20 PM

The Avenger

kenneth kinderman

his best film is the pirates movies.

Feb 3 - 06:38 PM

Both great films.

Feb 3 - 07:43 PM

Takis I.

Takis Iomos

Feb 3 - 03:05 PM

Jaklyn K.

Jaklyn Keen

Feb 3 - 03:18 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

Feb 3 - 03:10 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

Whats your favorite film?

Feb 3 - 05:36 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

Feb 3 - 06:20 PM

The Avenger

kenneth kinderman

his best film is the pirates movies.

Feb 3 - 06:38 PM

Both great films.

Feb 3 - 07:43 PM

Jaklyn K.

Jaklyn Keen

Feb 3 - 03:18 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Although your somewhat right on Alice, most of his films are not original regardless of having somewhat new plots to it.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure-The Bicycle Thief
Batman and Batman Returns-Comics
Sleepy Hollow-Book
Planet of the Apes- Remake
Charlie in the Chocolate Factory-Remake
Sweeney Todd-Play

Feb 3 - 03:26 PM

gizgoo

anthony rod

Tim Burton is just a parody of himself these days. His style is overrated and played out.

Feb 3 - 04:38 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

Whats your favorite film?

Feb 3 - 05:36 PM

saicam

onaivatco5 november

Feb 3 - 06:20 PM

The Avenger

kenneth kinderman

his best film is the pirates movies.

Feb 3 - 06:38 PM

Both great films.

Feb 3 - 07:43 PM

jorge m.

jorge molina

Not really much else to be said. I just can't wait for it. Almost one year in the expecting is long enough!
I'm truly expecting Burton's masterpiece, he was born in Wonderland...

Feb 3 - 05:46 PM

The Vile

mazyar goodarz

The original Planet of the Apes is one of my favourites. I couldn't believe what I was seeing with that Marky-Mark abomination. Willy Wonka was garbage as well, and anyone who regards Johnny Depp highly should view his cringe-worthy turn as the title character again. Looking back, films I once enjoyed like Edward Scissorhands and his Batman films seem to be lacking in depth.

His visual flair is unparalleled, but i haven't LOVED one of his films since Pee Wee (another one of my favourites). That movie is just plain weird...

Feb 3 - 05:55 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel