Box Office Guru Wrapup: Alice Reigns For Third Straight Weekend

Summary

The Red Queen ruled once again as Disney's Alice in Wonderland remained at number one for the third consecutive frame beating out another pack of new releases. Fox's tween comedy Diary of a Wimpy Kid beat expectations to open in second place while Sony's Jennifer Aniston-Gerard Butler vehicle The Bounty Hunter enjoyed a solid debut of its own close behind in third. But Universal's new action entry Repo Men flopped in fourth with a miserable showing. The overall box office was up over 2009 for the fourth straight weekend. Back to Article

Comments

Zaraki

Rick V

Gee who would have imagined The Bounty Hunter being below a 10%? Pretty much saw it's rating coming a mile away, it looks like it's the same old formula yet again.

Mar 21 - 05:25 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

Glad to see Alice doing so well. It was really enjoyable and deserves some dough.

Not too surprised by the outcome of the weekend. Thanks to Netflix I saw the first two Bourne movies, and can understand why they couldn't repeat the success.

Mar 21 - 05:35 PM

Easter In The Batcave

Alex Sallas

Bounty Hunter looks terrible... what's opening next week? Alice might lost it's first place spot depending on what opens up.

Mar 21 - 06:24 PM

Easter In The Batcave

Alex Sallas

Mar 21 - 06:36 PM

Darren F.

Darren Fiander

It not only looks terrible .... it is terrible ....

Mar 22 - 03:53 AM

Tendo63

Dave Liebs

I wouldn't be surprised if How To Train Your Dragon takes down Alice. It's getting great reviews and will probably be taking most of Alice's 3D and IMAX theaters...

Mar 21 - 06:56 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

What I want to know is that how it's going to work for both Dragon and Titans. Dragon is coming out in 3D this week while Titans next week. Are the 3D Screens are going to split in half or is Titans going to receive less 3D screens, seeing that the 3D for Titans was a last minute addition because of the success of Avatar.

Mar 21 - 09:44 PM

Nathan F.

Nathan Frederick

Alice will get bumped next week. Both Hot Tub Time Machine and How to Train Your Dragon are getting great reviews so far.

Mar 21 - 06:57 PM

bluestar50

Todd Foster

What? The Bounty Hunter is only getting 9% on the Rotten Tomatoes meter? I thought that it would've been in the 50% to 60 range. Not. It deserves the 9% rating. I saw the previews, and I could already tell that it was going to be one of those predictable and unfunny romcoms they're releasing these days.

Mar 21 - 08:28 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Mar 21 - 09:44 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Well I finally saw Alice, and it was Great!!!! Loved the characters and production design. Also caught The Runaways and I'm disappointed it didn't do better. It was a kick-ass great Rock N Roll picture and everyone in it was great and refreshingly, for this type of film, not a charicature( I think that's how it's spelled) Kristen and Dakota were fantastic in it, Michael Shannon great as usual, and awesome soundtrack, course I had most of it on my iPod already being a fan of Joan Jett, The Blackhearts and The Runaways. Well great weekend at the movies, gonna check out the Dragon movie next week and then finally the Clash is here!!

Mar 21 - 11:30 PM

Darren F.

Darren Fiander

It not only looks terrible .... it is terrible ....

Mar 22 - 03:53 AM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Alice was so boring, i caught my eyelids dropping a couple of times.

The screenwriter Linda Wolver-whatever needs to learn about dramatic tension.

There was none in her film, just Alice bouncing from one wacky character to another. All she did was slap on a by the numbers "Chosen One" fantasy template on and even Tim Burton and Johnny Depp embarassed themselves by stopping the film for a little dance number.

And the 3-D was amateurish and i'm sad to see it reach the $300 m mark.

I give it a 4/10.

Mar 22 - 04:26 AM

Tridus

Chris Eaton

A lot of these "3d" movies are actually just 2d movies with 3d added using post production studio magic. The result is nowhere near as good as it is in Avatar.

It's the new fad, they'll throw it at everything until audiences get sick of it or it becomes standard.

Mar 22 - 04:56 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Oh yeah, don't get me started on that corny dance number.

Mar 22 - 09:49 AM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the book, was the same way. One meeting after another with no rhyme or reason most of the time.

Mar 22 - 10:18 PM

Tridus

Chris Eaton

Mar 22 - 04:56 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Think Alice has benefitted greatly from weak competition and IMAX. Will take a huge drop next week.

Mar 22 - 05:34 AM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

Saw Alice in 2D. From what I heard, the 3D wasn't exactly all that and honestly didn't even need the 3d treatment for it to be successful.
I loved it though, and will buy it the second it comes out.
Congrats on three #1's in a row. :)

Mar 22 - 06:05 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

That is great that Wimpy Kid did as well as it did, its pretty funny that Gerard Butler got beat up by a Wimpy Kid. Any movie that helps kids get into reading is OK in my book and if it is entertaining then that just sweetens the deal. It seems like almot every kid in my classes that I teach are really into this series so I hope it does well.
I am also glad to see that Green Zone continues to bomb out at the box office. I love Matt's acting ability but after his last 2 political themed bombs, hopefully he will get back to making movies that people actually want to see and stop making mainstream films for special interests. That is what indie films are for. If it keeps it up, Green Zone could become one of the biggest flops of the year so far and that is saying something considering the amount of junk that has been released this year.

Mar 22 - 06:16 AM

fresh f.

fresh fresh

Im shocked The BOunty Hunter cracked 10 million. It looks god awful. The trailers made me want to scream.

Mar 22 - 06:20 AM

Frank O.

Frank Otto

Oddly I thought bounty hunter would do more than it did, Jennifer seems well liked, I know many women who will see anything with Gerard in it. And while I was interested in it I gotta say it came across better than Valentine's day.. and look how much that made..

Still glad to see Alice make so much, good for Tim, he deserves it.. 3peat was good, but am sure from reviews How to train your dragon will take top spot next week.. Kinda sad from what I'm hearing Forest was great in Repo, too bad he couldn't have saved that for a better movie..

Mar 22 - 07:22 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

I saw Alice on Friday. Wow, really subpar. Some of the worst animation I've seen in a while (was Crispin Glover rendered at a different frame rate???) and the whole thing felt lazy.

Come on, Tim. Do something more inspired.

Mar 22 - 09:44 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Oh yeah, don't get me started on that corny dance number.

Mar 22 - 09:49 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Bomb "Bounty Hunter". BOMB!!!!

Mar 22 - 10:30 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast