Weekly Ketchup: Alice in Wonderland Sequel Planned

Summary

This was a relatively slow week in the realm of movie development news, as most sites were busy covering the various awards season nominations, or providing links to any of the various trailers that will be in theaters this weekend with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. What did get announced this week includes sequels for The Adventures of Tintin, Alice in Wonderland, The Muppets, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Transformers, new movie adaptations of Angry Birds and The Equalizer, and new roles for Glenn Close, Will Ferrell, Nick Nolte, and Michael Shannon. Back to Article

Comments

Lars Ronin

Lars Ronin

"KEVIN HART TO HELP WILL FERRELL GET HARD" GAY!

Dec 14 - 05:14 PM

Jackie Anaya

Jackie Anaya

Haven't "humans" evolved past the need to use the term gay as a negative?

Dec 14 - 07:39 PM

AHungerArtist

ahungerartist ahungerartist

The answer is obviously no.

Dec 15 - 12:54 AM

theleadpencil

todd alexander

Who used gay as a negative? Its usage here was not in the slang pejorative but in the accepted colloquial meaning homosexual.

Dec 15 - 07:03 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

How do you know he was using it as a negative? Other than the fact that it was posted on a message board on the internet. Maybe you perception of the word gay is always negative because it's been used in a negative connotation for so long.

Dec 15 - 07:09 AM

Luke Rushing

Luke Rushing

I don't know what you think 'gay' means but Kevin Hart getting Will Ferrell hard would be pretty much on par with the literal definition.

Dec 15 - 12:48 PM

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

That is eloquently and aptly put.

Dec 16 - 06:33 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

In all seriousness though It is awesome of you Jackie to stick up for somebody. I looks like more people than myself have given you a hard time for it though and I do think we have heard that word in a condescending way so often that there isn't many other ways to take it but still good on yah standing up to bully statements.

Dec 15 - 01:28 PM

Jacob Torello

Jacob Torello

Interestingly enough, there are many levels of this expertly crafted joke.

One being the literal, that the two actors in question are in a film called "Get Hard" which may be a simple innuendo or it may be in reality a film about the two being homosexuals in this film. Therefore the observation is quite correct.

However, another probable explanation is the usage of the title, "Get Hard" and the term gay to do a play on words with the popular Japanese comedian and sometimes internet meme "Hard Gay"
In which case it also works.

The third is the idea that in prison, homosexual sex and/or rape is fairly commonplace in the American prison system and therefore it works on that level because in prison you can ‚??Get Hard‚?? as in toughen up from defending yourself and your buttocks, or the other inmates can ‚??Get Hard‚?? as in getting ready to make you their boyfriend at the sight of your fleshy buttocks.

So to sum up:

Gay in a literal sense it works.
Gay in reference to Hard Gay it also works.
Gay in reference to the general homosexual atmosphere in prison it works as well.

Plus it made me chuckle.

Dec 16 - 05:46 AM

Mike Farron

Mike Farron

The joke is already implied by the title of the film. Lars pointing it out to make his own joke about it doesn't work. It's simply redundant and takes away and subtlety--not that that was very possible.

Dec 16 - 09:55 AM

McLain Antrim Chadsey

McLain Antrim Chadsey

Don't you get offended when people use the word "idiot" in a derogatory way Lars? I mean, being an idiot certainly isn't a choice. You were born this way.

Dec 14 - 07:59 PM

Lars Ronin

Lars Ronin

Im surprise that there would be a debate on what i thought was a funny statement. But ive enjoyed reading the comments. To McLain Antrim Chadsey, im not an idiot.

Dec 17 - 05:48 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Since Burton's "Alice" incorporated the Jabberwocky, and other elements of "Through the Looking Glass", I'm not sure what material is left for a sequel. A Chinese Red Queen?

I'm very excited for Refn/Washington's "Equalizer", a "Tinker" sequel and the return of McNaughton to the big screen (and with two of the best and most distinctive actors of their generation in tow!)

Just wondering: Did you think Nolte was William Hurt in "Big Chill"? Tom Berenger? Anyway, that's probably a Hallmark card of a movie, but Nolte and Close are still great actors.

Dec 14 - 05:45 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

I thought the early 1980s was too long ago to remember every member of an ensemble cast from a movie that was clearly not made for someone my age. ;)

Dec 14 - 06:05 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Can that Transformers sequel sound any worse? Wait. Please don't answer that.

Dec 14 - 05:46 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Nevermind that Burton's Alice was pretty crappy, it made money so... another poo-poo platter coming your way.

Dec 14 - 05:53 PM

v-alexander-the-great

victor alexander

Agree ONE MILLION PERCENT. One of the most awful movies of 2010.

Dec 14 - 06:04 PM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Really now? I wasn't blow away by it but, one of the worst movies of 2010? Sorry, that honor belongs to movies like The Last Airbender, Bounty Hunter, Killers, Sex and the City 2, Jonah Hex, and Marmaduke.

Dec 15 - 05:37 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

I guess it's because you knew those other movies would be shit (maybe not Jonah Hex but still, it seemed more likely than this) but Alice seemed like it would be a match made in heaven. Burton, Depp, Hathaway, Bonham Carter, Wazickwieakdhbdiasdowska, Rickman, and how many other actors in fucking Alice in Wonderland! It looked fantastic visually, too, but good god was it bad. It wasn't a stupid premise (weak, but not stupid like most of the movies you listed), but there were so many bad decisions. Every new thing was a slap to the face.

The jabberwocky and bandersnatch existing and being big roles? *slap*
Alice having to fight the jabberwocky? *slap*
THAT GOD DAMN DANCING *slap*

Amongst so many other stupid decisions, the biggest was trying to make sense out of nonsense. Having a plot is one thing. Trying to make a POEM in the story be a living breathing villain is just... just...

I'll stop before I lose it

Dec 15 - 09:12 AM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

You're right I knew Sex in the city 2, Killers, Bounty Hunter, and Marmaduke would be shit. Jonah Hex wasn't screened for critics so I wasn't sure and The Last Airbender I did not expect it to be as horrid as it was. I agree with you on some of the points you made but, I think calling it the worst is over exaggerating a bit. To me, it wasn't as great as it could have been but, it's far from the worst and I only named a few. To me the worst was The Last Airbender.

Dec 15 - 12:07 PM

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

Ever heard the saying 'put your money where your mouth is'? Apparently one billion dollars says this movie was phenomenal. I was sold. I'll be adding to the next billion.

Dec 16 - 06:40 AM

Joshua

Joshua "LF" Mitchell

Meh, wasn't particularly impressed, but I wasn't offended by it either.

Dec 14 - 06:47 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Hopefully, Oz: The Great and The Powerful will be better.

Dec 14 - 08:05 PM

v-alexander-the-great

victor alexander

Agree ONE MILLION PERCENT. One of the most awful movies of 2010.

Dec 14 - 06:04 PM

Dec 16 - 06:40 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Dec 14 - 06:05 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Alice was nothing more than a visual film, the story was non-existent and dull. The acting was good from everyone but Alice, I hated Mia (can't spell her last name for the life of me) and really don't know how the film hit the billion mark.

The new Transformers really only has me interested based on the fact Marky Mark is the new face. I'll probably end up seeing the film, but please Bay... make me remember the first film with the fourth entry.

On a side note: I'm very impressed with the new Man of Steel trailer and Pacific Rims debut trailer. 2013's summer lineup keeps looking more and more appealing starting with Iron Man 3.

Dec 14 - 06:33 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Star Trek 2 and Ironman 3 will definitely be the shit.. But please don't pay to see this movie unless you want a new transformers trilogy

Dec 14 - 09:07 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Mia is a great actress.
Just not in Alice ahahaha.

Dec 15 - 09:13 AM

Joshua

Joshua "LF" Mitchell

Meh, wasn't particularly impressed, but I wasn't offended by it either.

Dec 14 - 06:47 PM

Anthony Trussoni

Anthony Trussoni

How can people believe that humanity is basically good when no one is stopping Michael Bay? The Transformers movies are definitive proof of the depravity of man.

Dec 14 - 07:29 PM

Zachary Allen

Zachary Allen

I love you.

Dec 15 - 10:10 PM

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

Anthony Trussoni, 2016.

Dec 16 - 06:36 AM

Jackie Anaya

Jackie Anaya

Haven't "humans" evolved past the need to use the term gay as a negative?

Dec 14 - 07:39 PM

AHungerArtist

ahungerartist ahungerartist

The answer is obviously no.

Dec 15 - 12:54 AM

theleadpencil

todd alexander

Dec 15 - 07:03 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Dec 15 - 07:09 AM

Luke Rushing

Luke Rushing

Dec 15 - 12:48 PM

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

That is eloquently and aptly put.

Dec 16 - 06:33 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Dec 15 - 01:28 PM

Jacob Torello

Jacob Torello

Interestingly enough, there are many levels of this expertly crafted joke.

In which case it also works.

So to sum up:

Gay in a literal sense it works.
Gay in reference to Hard Gay it also works.

Plus it made me chuckle.

Dec 16 - 05:46 AM

Mike Farron

Mike Farron

Dec 16 - 09:55 AM

McLain Antrim Chadsey

McLain Antrim Chadsey

Dec 14 - 07:59 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

A "Angry Bird" movie?! Is it going to be like that fake trailer that was online a little while ago? And I would be interested in a TinTin sequel, the first one was pretty good so I hope the second one will be better.

Dec 14 - 08:04 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Hopefully, Oz: The Great and The Powerful will be better.

Dec 14 - 08:05 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Everyone complaining about Transformers need to shut up if you paid to go see it. I'm guilty of this I've seen every single one in theaters we nerds and cinaphiles helped make it the #1 movie every single time it comes out. LEt's just ignore it

Dec 14 - 09:04 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Dec 14 - 09:07 PM

Cameron Harbison

Cameron Harbison

An Alice in Wonderland sequel? I don't know, that just doesn't sound like a good idea. I mean, Alice in Wonderland has already been adapted to death, so a sequel just seems pointless.

What would be cool is an animated adaption of the Jabberwocky poem. Granted, you'd need the right guy and the right tone to do it, but I would rather see that than a sequel to AiW.

Dec 14 - 09:07 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I love how so many are bitching about Burton's Alice over biased, crap-ass reasons. Yes, it wasn't Burton's best, & it certainly isn't the greatest movie of the year (and anyone who thought it was one of the worst movie of any category in general has a SEVERE mental disorder), but it did things right on what it was trying to do. Unlike the wonderful animated Alice movie, Burton's Alice actually had a plot & storytelling (as rushed as it was). Anyways, looking forward to this sequel, but I'm still waiting for more news on the live action adaption of Mulan & the Tron sequel.

Fresh:

2. I'm actually wondering how they're going to develop the movie's story from its hilarious premise.

Dec 14 - 09:35 PM

Chitty Bang Bang

Chitty Bang Bang

Live action Mulan?? :D

Dec 15 - 06:00 PM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

I'm wondering, if they're making Alice 2, are they going to shove it through theaters as quickly as possible like they did last time?

Dec 15 - 11:14 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Animated Alice had a plot, the plot it was originally intended to have, but I guess there's no reasoning someone who considers a meandering plot, poor acting on behalf of the star and criminal misuse of a strong supporting cast as "crap-ass reasons"

Dec 16 - 05:53 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

If the acting in the live-action Alice was poor from the star, then the acting in "The Godfather" was poor as well.

Dec 16 - 09:18 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Wait? What? Did you just compare Mia Maslikowski's performance in Alice to Al Pacino or Marlon Brando in The Godfather? Smoke a lot of dope do ya son?

Dec 17 - 06:34 PM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

hahahahaha well played 2012

Dec 14 - 09:37 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

Top Story- I actually don't mind a sequel at all. The first one is a visual treat. I seemed to enjoyed it more that many people did.
FRESH
#1- I really enjoyed the first Tintin film. I'll be happy to take a second film and 4 years in a row of Peter Jackson.
#2-Eh, you can count me out for this. This is not really an interesting premise.
#3-I'm excited for this! Nicolas Winding Refn proved himself with Drive. There's nothing wrong with Denzel either.
#4. This caught be my surprise. I seem to remember this film not doing too great financially here in the States. But, I'll be interested in seeing the sequel.
#5.Kind of disappointing. I would love to see Waltz in the new Muppets movie.
#6-This sounds kind of interesting. Michael Shannon is a good underrated actor. But this is not high on my must-see list.
#7-Ughhhhhh. Will Ferrell I'll watch but Kevin Hart......I dont think so.
ROTTEN
#2. I wonder if this would be similar to The Bucket List but with alzheimer's.
#1. Well, Transformers are my guilty pleasures. I'm willing to give this film a shot since it has Mark Wahlberg in it.

Dec 14 - 10:21 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Am I the only one who thinks Christoph Waltz in a Muppet movie would be creepy as hell. I'd keep expecting him to offer Fozzie a class of milk before executing Gonzo's chickens.

Dec 16 - 05:55 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies