Weekly Ketchup: Alice in Wonderland Sequel Planned

Summary

This was a relatively slow week in the realm of movie development news, as most sites were busy covering the various awards season nominations, or providing links to any of the various trailers that will be in theaters this weekend with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. What did get announced this week includes sequels for The Adventures of Tintin, Alice in Wonderland, The Muppets, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Transformers, new movie adaptations of Angry Birds and The Equalizer, and new roles for Glenn Close, Will Ferrell, Nick Nolte, and Michael Shannon. Back to Article

Comments

AHungerArtist

ahungerartist ahungerartist

The answer is obviously no.

Dec 15 - 12:54 AM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

Tintin the film wasn't particularly great, but I like the books (and Peter Jackson) enough to be excited for the sequel.

Dec 15 - 02:01 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I don't think Alice In Wonderland is as bad as its reputation. I found it merely okay. Trying give it a plot just didn't really work out. Alice in Wonderland thrived on being illogical, so giving it a story just dulled the characters. Unfortunately, when such an average film grosses 1 bil the hate is bound to come, especially when for a while it was eaily the weakest film to cross the bil mark (before Disney broke that record again with Stranger Tides). As for a sequel - bad idea. What are they going to do? They've already used a lot of material from Through the Looking Glass. This just screams cash grab. I really hope Burton doesn't decide to direct it. Not only are there so many other better options, but Burton has almost always done best when he's doing smaller more personnel films (Sweeney Todd, Corpse Bride, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, etc) rather than big budget spectacles (Mars Attacks, Planet of the Apes, Dark Shadows, etc). This also makes me hope that Lone Ranger delivers both critically and commercially so Disney will turn that into their next franchise instead, as that has a lot more potential for sequels.

Angry Birds also screams cash grab. I'm not sure how it got labeled fresh. It's obvious they're doing it because of how popular the game is rather than it having any story that would work well for a movie (though I must admit the thought of having Samuel Jackson, Nic Cage, Christian Bale, Gerald Butler and Russel Crowe all star as angry birds is appealing, though of course it's not going to happen).

Denzel Washington's involvement in anything automatically gets my interest and having Refn as director makes it even more interesting.

The Muppets was one of the pleasant surprises of 2011. Now that's something that deserves a sequel. Also, any actor cast in the Muppets manages to deliver a funny performance (even the cameo of Selena Gomez was funny) so I'm not too bothered by Ty Burrel replacing Christopher Waltz.

Will Ferrel is very hit and miss so I'll wait and see who's going to direct Get Hard before getting excited about it. Would love to see the gig go to Adam Mckay as all of his collaborations so far with Ferrel have delivered.

To be fair to Nicola Peltz, no one came out of Last Airbender looking good, so in a case like that I'd put the blame on the script and dialogue rather than the performances ("Do you have a spiritual place?" "Yes, we have a VERY spiritual place" I don't see how you could deliver such lines in a good way) On the other hand, this is Michael Bay directing a reboot of his own trilogy, so it's not like I'm looking forward to it in the first place anyway.

Dec 15 - 05:06 AM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

Don't get your hopes up on Lone Ranger. Django Unchained will do good because it's Tarantino, but I expect Ranger to go the way of Hex and WWWest

Dec 15 - 11:16 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I don't think Lone Ranger will be as good as Django Unchained, but I still think it has a lot of potential. Gore Verbinski is no Tarantino but he did direct POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl and Rango. Yes, I know he also did Dead Man's Chest and At World's End, but to be fair to him, trying to direct two massive back to back films without having any source material to rely on is no easy feat. Also, personally I thought Dead Man's Chest was pretty good. I liked how it made fun of how confusing it was (though POTC3 went overboard with subplots introduced for the sake of subplots) and unlike so many other Disney big budget live action film (eg, Prince of Persia) it was funny while also having a horror edge to it that prevented from becoming too cheezy. I think it was simply a case of Iron Man 2 or Back to the Future Part 2 where the original was so unexpected, such a breath of fresh air that it was almost inevitable the sequel would be met with dissapointment. Compared to Disney's other billion dollar grossers it's way better than Alice in Wonderland and On Stranger Tides.

Anyway, back to Lone Ranger, yes it could end up being a collasal failure, but it's also the Disney film with the most potential to become another Pirates of the Caribbean and take everyone by surprise.

Dec 16 - 03:42 AM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Really now? I wasn't blow away by it but, one of the worst movies of 2010? Sorry, that honor belongs to movies like The Last Airbender, Bounty Hunter, Killers, Sex and the City 2, Jonah Hex, and Marmaduke.

Dec 15 - 05:37 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

I guess it's because you knew those other movies would be shit (maybe not Jonah Hex but still, it seemed more likely than this) but Alice seemed like it would be a match made in heaven. Burton, Depp, Hathaway, Bonham Carter, Wazickwieakdhbdiasdowska, Rickman, and how many other actors in fucking Alice in Wonderland! It looked fantastic visually, too, but good god was it bad. It wasn't a stupid premise (weak, but not stupid like most of the movies you listed), but there were so many bad decisions. Every new thing was a slap to the face.

The jabberwocky and bandersnatch existing and being big roles? *slap*
Alice having to fight the jabberwocky? *slap*
THAT GOD DAMN DANCING *slap*

Amongst so many other stupid decisions, the biggest was trying to make sense out of nonsense. Having a plot is one thing. Trying to make a POEM in the story be a living breathing villain is just... just...

I'll stop before I lose it

Dec 15 - 09:12 AM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

You're right I knew Sex in the city 2, Killers, Bounty Hunter, and Marmaduke would be shit. Jonah Hex wasn't screened for critics so I wasn't sure and The Last Airbender I did not expect it to be as horrid as it was. I agree with you on some of the points you made but, I think calling it the worst is over exaggerating a bit. To me, it wasn't as great as it could have been but, it's far from the worst and I only named a few. To me the worst was The Last Airbender.

Dec 15 - 12:07 PM

Jessica Barron

Jessica Barron

ANOTHER Alice in Wonderland? Oh God, no. For fans of Lewis Carroll's original , Frank Beddor's, and American Mcgee's adaptations this was by far the most boring adaptation ever.It was a mediocre plot, an undeveloped Alice and pretty special effects.

Dec 15 - 05:51 AM

James Pasier

James Pasier

Will Ferral... Get Hard in..... Prison.... What???? Tintin sequel sounds good, but another alice in wonderland thats crazy i hated the first one it was so stupid i swear!!!

Dec 15 - 06:04 AM

theleadpencil

todd alexander

Who used gay as a negative? Its usage here was not in the slang pejorative but in the accepted colloquial meaning homosexual.

Dec 15 - 07:03 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

How do you know he was using it as a negative? Other than the fact that it was posted on a message board on the internet. Maybe you perception of the word gay is always negative because it's been used in a negative connotation for so long.

Dec 15 - 07:09 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Alice in Wonder Land 2, meh. I remember relating to the main character because I to was bored the whole time during that film. I think maybe the direction for Mia was Act like Kirsten Stewart to which I say she did a fantastic Job.

Tin Tin was my favorite animated film of that year. Absolutely stunning. A visual roller coaster ride with an actual mystery and fun characters? Brilliant and well played Mr. Spielburg.

Angry Birds the movie is gonna have Peta up in Arms because those birds and pigs don't have arms to defend themselves!

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is Fantastic!

I'm gonna see a transformers film in theaters, and that's that. I know, I need help. Every 2 years I fall off the wagon. Michael Bay films are my Vice. So at least they have Marky Mark in there. He'll obviously be a side character while his daughter pines for a boy that's not good enough for her proves his worth (That he's more than meets the Eye..barf) by saving the day blah blah blah but still Mark Wahlberg is in some great action movies.

Dec 15 - 07:14 AM

Josh Munro

Josh Munro

Alzheimer's drama "Always On My Mind"

Bad pun?

Dec 15 - 07:49 AM

Chitty Bang Bang

Chitty Bang Bang

Away From Her. The only movie in history that has ever made me bawl. You won't be joking after you watch it.

Dec 15 - 06:03 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

An Angry Birds in 2016?
Will people even care about it at that time? How many people care about the movie now? Compare that to how many will care about the game in about three-four years time.
Good thinking, clearly.

Dec 15 - 09:07 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

The jabberwocky and bandersnatch existing and being big roles? *slap*
Alice having to fight the jabberwocky? *slap*
THAT GOD DAMN DANCING *slap*

I'll stop before I lose it

Dec 15 - 09:12 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Mia is a great actress.
Just not in Alice ahahaha.

Dec 15 - 09:13 AM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

So a film with Nick Nolte and Glenn Close, who both were nominated for an Academy Award THIS YEAR, is flagged as a rotten idea just because the director made a movie that was only slightly rotten? :O

Dec 15 - 11:07 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Agreed, and Rock of Ages the musical is actually pretty damn good.

Dec 16 - 05:58 PM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Dec 15 - 12:07 PM

Luke Rushing

Luke Rushing

I don't know what you think 'gay' means but Kevin Hart getting Will Ferrell hard would be pretty much on par with the literal definition.

Dec 15 - 12:48 PM

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

That is eloquently and aptly put.

Dec 16 - 06:33 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

In all seriousness though It is awesome of you Jackie to stick up for somebody. I looks like more people than myself have given you a hard time for it though and I do think we have heard that word in a condescending way so often that there isn't many other ways to take it but still good on yah standing up to bully statements.

Dec 15 - 01:28 PM

Terry McBeer

Terry McBeer

So Will Ferrell is remaking Rob Schneider's Big Stan?

Dec 15 - 03:54 PM

Matt Ritchey

Matt Ritchey

Greg: High five on your last senten

Dec 15 - 05:29 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office