Open Graves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Open Graves Reviews

theunknownhobo
October 5, 2011
Honestly this was one of the worst films I have ever seen. Predicatable, boring and frankly terrible the script was only made worse by the storyline. The acting was over the top and wooden at the same time, and at not one point in the entire movie did I genuinely want any of the cast to survive. This movie had the power to be really good, an X-Rated Jumanji if you will, but all it delivered was a grey shell of a film that will only be remembered because of its sheer lackluster morale rather than anything of merit. Terrible.
September 30, 2010
A very average straight to DVD film about a board game that brings death to the losers but a wish to the winner. Quite a low budget which is shown in the quality of the cgi, not great acting either but the story is ok. Could have been done so much better though.
March 15, 2015
Jumanji meets Final Destination if both films were terrible.
½ July 28, 2011
Definately a "Final Destination" rip-off. Just picture "Final Destination" and "Jumanji" mixed together, and what do you get? A descent horror flick with bad special effects and acting. But, it did have some pretty good blood\gore scenes.
½ October 30, 2013
open graves is basically the horror version of jumaji and it has promise but never really executes any true scares nor thrills. i like the idea of the film and i think it had a lot of potential but it fails to deliver good violence along with blood. i enjoy seeing teens getting picked off one by one, but i was disappointed and expected a lot more.
October 30, 2013
It was not so bad that I did not watch the whole movie but it was pretty predictable. I will admit that many of the death scenes were quite brutal even to my jaded eyes.
October 30, 2013
In this deadlier rehashing of the ?Jumanji? formula, seven friends get more than they bargained for when they the play a board game given to them by a mysterious stranger. Those whose pawns meet their death in the game, meet the same death in life.

Okay, so I like the concept as long as it?s not overdone. ?Jumanji? and ?Zathura? are family films, and I don?t know of any other horror films that play on the killer board game concept, so there may be a market for one. I am always on the hunt for something different than a remake or reboot, so in that regard I was excited for a while. That?s the good news.

Now for the bad news. The production values, particularly the bad CGI, are atrocious and look like a student film on Youtube. Still, this could have been forgivable had it not been for one of the worst and most ridiculous climaxes I have seen in a long time.

The characters are idiotic in their actions and decisions, and the big reveal at the end was so silly I burst out laughing.

In summary, a great concept is wasted on HORRIBLE production values, idiotic plot conventions, and pointless and irrelevant backstory.
July 31, 2013
If you are awed by the acting of Eilza Dushku or you are terrified of what amount to cartoon snakes and crabs, then you might really like Open Graves. But I doubt it. Poorly made with Sci-fi channel level CG, Open Graves is just plain stupid. Still it will waste an evening for you with its tale of a killer voodoo board game...if that's what you want....
November 18, 2011
Starring: Mike Vogel, Eliza Dushku, Ethan Rains, Lindsay Caroline Robba, Naike Rivelli, and Gary Piquer
Director: Álvaro de Armiñán

A group of 20-somethings (Dushku, Rains, Rivelli, Robba, and Vogel) working and surfing in Spain fall victim to a powerful and deadly curse after they play a board game made from the bones of a witch.

If you've seen the classic movie "Jumanji", you know the basic premise of this film. You've also seen that premise used far more effectively. Heck, you've even seen more intense and frightening scenes than what you'll get in this horror movie.

"Open Graves" features a script so weak and predictable that I wonder why it was made as an R-rated film. Anyone who has seen even one other film featuring a cursed object will be able to guess where the film is going, up to and including the ending, so the only audience who would have enjoyed this picture would have been young kids. Everyone else will grow increasingly bored as this movie unfolds and brings nothing new. (There is a creepy little twist involving Eliza Dushku's character toward the end of the film, but it's so minor so as to be a reach for me to even mention it as a positive aspect of the film. I suppose the subplot involving a police detective with a dark agenda is also unpredictable... but only because it ends without any particular resolution. Not a Good Thing.)

Of course, it doesn't help the overall weakness of the material that the actors appear to have been cast mostly for their good looks than their talent. They add more attractiveness to this already beautiful-looking film, but they ultimately also help emphasize the emptiness and unoriginality of the script, because there is little or no life to their characters. The exception to that general statement are Dushku and Vogel, who bring enough charisma to their characters that we care a little about what will happen to them... but for all but the most entertainment-starved captive audience that's not enough to make it feel like watching this film was time well spent.
January 10, 2011
The effects were cheesy, the plot was unoriginal and the acting was bad. Too bad, because I really like Eliza Dushku and was looking forward to seeing something new from her. This isn't a movie I'd want to see again.
March 15, 2008
Wow, what an original idea! A game that kills you and all that you have to do to make the bad things end is finish the game and make a wish. This one was pure gore with barely a plot to hold together the domino effect. I can only say that this one was tolerable.
April 7, 2010
This flick was riddled with terrible CGI, bad acting, no character development, and a ridiculous plot in the vein of both Jumanji and Final Destination.
June 27, 2010
If you have missed seeing Eliza Dushku or Mike Vogel you may get a real treat from watching "Open Graves". They had to do this as a goof.
May 20, 2010
It had potential but the predictablility of it kinda killed some of that. The deaths were pretty good in this though. And the "thing" that Eliza Duschku turns into was lame. But at least it was half way entertaining. I do hate that people who make wishes aren't more specific and screw themselves over. Dont' worry that didn't ruin it, you already knew people were stupid.
½ March 31, 2010
So what do you get when you cross Jumangi with Final Destination? Well, you get a little piece of shit called Open Graves. Set near the exotic beach front of Spain, gringo Mike Vogel (TCM remake, Cloverfield) spends his time with a bunch of his Spanish friends and new crush Eliza Dushku (c'mon Eliza, you're better than this). A strange encounter has Vogel receiving a unusual board game called Mamba where everyone who plays has to try and survive the end of the game. Innocently, the group plays and several of them die (by way of cryptic cards from the Spanish Inquisition). Sure enough, the cryptic messages on the cards wind up coming true, with deaths involving vicious crabs, CGI snakes, rapid aging, etc. Can the leftover survivors try and beat the game and get their one wish granted and reverse everything? By the time, the answer came, I was like "who cares". Don't worry, weary non-fans of foreign films. Everyone in Spain speaks PERFECT English in Open Graves, even when there isn't an American around! The cards from the Spanish Inquisition are also written in English, lol! I will say some of the deaths look good, with some nice non-CGI effects, but that's about all that's going for this crappy film. We even get to see the beautiful Dushku in a wet, see-through dress, but oh wait...that's CGI too. Another plus is you'll get GREAT enjoyment out of the horribly written script. Cops walk up to a corpse that has been skinned alive and one says: "I swear he's been skinned alive". Thanks Detective! Overall, screw this stupid movie!
March 30, 2010
*1/2 (out of four)

A maddening horror tale that makes little sense on its journey to annoyance. It several moments of unintentional laughs only makes the plot that much more forgettable.

Mike Vogel stars as a young man vacationing in Europe with friends. While there he is given a game that holds an ancient evil. If you lose in the game you lose your life. If you win the game you are granted any wish. At first the game isn't taken too serious, but the friends start dying..one by one.

The plot is silly and poor Mike Vogel and Eliza Dushku look stranded on a sinking ship. The terrible resolution makes only reaffirms the time wasted..
½ March 22, 2010
SYFY, why did Eliza Dushku have to do this film. Was interesting at times, a grown up version of Jumanji kinda. Liked the ending.
½ March 18, 2010
Sort of a cross between Hellraiser, Final Destination, and Jumanji. It's pretty cheesy and more than a little lunkheaded but it is also fairly gruesome and a pretty good time.
February 23, 2010
This DTDVD is Jumanji meets Final Destination. No, seriously, that's what it is. When a group of holiday-ing twenty-somethings stumble into a old ritual shop, they are given a board game, where they could all win, or all lose, which here means die.

Eliza Dushku stars as one of the main characters, and does a decent job, and the movie has a solid sense of pacing. I am now out of nice things to say.

What a mess. The special effects are bad, really bad. The editing is frantic and most scenes tend to end on odd notes. The music is bland, and doesn't add much of anything. The deaths were boring, and the twist ending was terrible.

Boring with nothing new to say.
January 1, 2010
This is basically a mashup of jamanji and final destination but with one very nice addition.. Eliza Dushku... worth the 90 minutes just to see her beautifity on the screen... but I digress.... I've seen better and worse .. Wait for pay tv...