13 game sayawng (13: Game of Death) (13 Beloved) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

13 game sayawng (13: Game of Death) (13 Beloved) Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
August 21, 2011
Asian horror films in many ways are much better than American horror films because they tend to push the limits of terror, and they introduce unique concepts to the genre that expands traditional elements, which make horror still relevant and fun. Directed by Chukiat Sakveerakul, 13: Game of Death tells the story of Chit who is heavily in debt and is fired from his job. He is contacted y an unknown caller who offers him the chance to gain some money by participating in a game where the contestant must complete 13 different challenges. Each challenge is worse than the previous one. The concept with this film is great; however I thought that the execution was kind of poor. The film tends to be hit and miss, and despite its original plot, I felt that the film had the potential of being so much more. I felt there was something missing to really make this film memorable, and despite its twist ending, it left a lot to be desired. The film is good and it's entertaining, and lots going for it, but like I said, things could have been done slightly better too. With a concept like this, you could see so many great ideas that could have been, but wasn't even brought to the screen. There could have been a bit more effort into the film, and I think it's a shame because the idea is really interesting, but the execution is average. Good film that has its fair share of flaws, 13: Game of Death is a must for horror fans, but expect to be slightly disappointed with a few aspects of this film. Even with its entire fault, there's a good film here to enjoy, but one that is not memorable or demands additional viewings.
WrenchLT
August 12, 2011
A down-in-the-dumps Bangkok salesman gets a much needed financial lift courtesy of a twisted and mysterious game show which requires participants to complete a series of 13 challenges, each one completed awards cash, but the challenges are from easy or legal! Real good fun with doses of violence, stomach-turning moments and the odd laugh. Always entertaing and fast-paced enjoyment. Definitely one of the better films I've seen from Thailand.
½ October 11, 2008
Whilst this film isn?t totally original in it?s internet/reality killing style game, it is one of the better ones of it?s theme and certainly offers some cringeworthy scenes, depending on what you least prefer to watch from the 13 games.

The escalation of games and questioning of morals makes for exciting watching .

The ending was enjoyable and offered some way of explanation, but then turned very quickly into a somewhat anti-climatic finish.
DragonEyeMorrison
October 14, 2007
Thai genre-twisting thriller "13 Beloved seems like a solid candidate to be the next cult item out of asian cinema. A satire full with black humour, the film kept me in the edge of my seat. The story kept re-inventing itself with each continous scene, refreshing itself again and again.

Then, the ending came,and pretty much killed the rest of the movie, still 3 stars for the rest.
½ September 30, 2008
This is a well executed movie, and I would have given it a 4 if the dubs weren't so awful (the choice to dub screams and gasps is especially detrimental to the film). However, the story isn't compelling enough for me to seek out an original language subbed version, which is the only version you should be looking for (hard to find since Dimension Extreme re-released this stateside). Not a horror, but bloodier than your conventional thriller, this film fits nicely in the extreme category.
This movie clearly questions moral codes, and is a decent "game" movie that Saw-lovin tweens should watch to discover how this genre should be done. Great production design and standout editing.

Most "fucked up" highlights: the clothesline; saving the old man from the well.
Beefy
March 22, 2008
Been waiting a while to watch this, having following coverage on twitch for some time. Came out on DVD this last week and is rentable from Blockbuster. Didn't meet my expectations, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I was expecting something darker, twisted, and somber. Maybe something more in-line in tone as 13 Tzameti. It isn't, it's somehow lighter than that and yet still kind of twisted and nasty. It gets "worse" as you get further into the challenges. Not perfect, but never boring, certainly for people who are looking for something different and that have strong stomachs.
PantaOz
January 18, 2011
This is the only Thai movie I watched twice... and I enjoyed it both times! I am not sure if this is psychological thriller, horror or comedy ... or everything above... but the director Chukiat Sakveerakul managed to keep me entertained until the end! Krissada Sukosol Clapp maybe didn't look like a perfect choice for the main role but now I think that he was the best choice to portray a desperate man who is led through progressively challenging, degrading and dangerous stunts by mysterious callers from an underground reality game show. This film is an adaptation of comic-book series and it was a second film for the director who previously directed the horror film, Pisaj. The film covers one day but actually took about seven months to film...

Wonderful reflection on the materialism in Thai society which makes this film a little bit more then just for fun. Hints of political and social issues are always with a disguised message addressing human issues as well. For all people familiar with Thai politics, Thailand's prime minister at the time, Thaksin Shinawatra, was directly referenced in the film - his photo was on the newspaper that Phuchit used to swat a fly!

The film won several awards in Thailand and if you have a chance to see it - do it now!
May 8, 2009
Stupid, unscary, unfunny, badly acted trash that even fudges it's potentially one inventive sequence. Stay clear.
DrLappos
½ September 5, 2008
What an absolute belter of a film. Original, fast paced with a likeable, honest lead character in Terrance. One point though, for those of you out there with a weak stomach for gods sake please miss out task number 5.....watch it and you'll see what I mean.
John2223
½ March 6, 2009
Seems the writer of ¨Eagle Eye¨ copy many things from this movie.
This thriller with touches of comedy and horror delivers a social commentary that we have seen in others similar movies.
¨13:GD¨ has a couple of plot holes, but it is an entertaing flix with some twists here and there.
The directing and acting is good and the ending was quite unexpected.
April 11, 2008
Finally got to see this and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's exactly what you would expect from the plot description, and that's a good thing. Sure, there is character development and other scenes of drama that add to the film, but it's mostly how far an average, moral man will go when offered enough money. Other than a couple problems with the ending, this is a good, solid watch.
January 17, 2013
A mix between the Saw franchise and David Fincher's The game, 13: Game of Death involves a man on the edge who gets involved in an ever escalating series of challenges that eventually lead beyond self-humiliation to violence against others. Surprisingly funny and somewhat satirical, 13:Game of Death doesn't work quite as well as could have, but it remains an effectively twisted and relatively intelligent piece of Thai horror.
½ March 2, 2010
This movie was great especially if you are into movies like Falling Down or Crank where someone is going on a citywide rampage, or games like Grand Theft Auto, towards the end it begins to get a little to contrived as the plot unravels but the beginning is madness as a man tries to make money by eating poop, hurting people and making children cry. There definatly are some classic moments that compete with movies like SAW.
June 7, 2009
Absolutely superb Thai film that was not only refreshing compared to most Thai films I have seen, but had me comparing it to several other of my favorites. I wish more films had the energy and creativity that this does. Goes from somber to chaotic, and scenes are definitely unexpected. Think of it as being a dark humorous version of Eagle Eye with no computer and with the ambition being money.
March 8, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised with 13 Game of Death, for some reason I went in expecting a Thai version of Saw but this movie was like nothing I have ever seen. Starting with the plot, the main character Chit is down on his luck and very desperate. Right after loosing his job he gets this phone call from this game show saying he can win a ton of money if he completes these 13 challenges. They start out harmless and quickly turn into a game of life and death answering the question, How far are you willing to go? The plot sounds done but the way that filmmakers executed it was near perfection. Trust me this movie is anything but what you think it's going to be. It is creative and intriguing, and even has some comedic moments and at the same time manages to keep its viewers glued to the screen from start to finish. The acting I have to give credit to all of the actors in this film I don't think there was a bad performance. Gore, you don't get much really some blood spatter, a really cool decapitation, and some nice shots of a rotting body. Throughout the whole film you get twists and turns that you weren't expecting and the end is no exception. The thing that I loved most about this movie was the dedication to the story. Nowadays you see so many films that think gore can make up for a bad plot, and don't get me wrong I love a good gore film but there is nothing like a movie that gives you a great story and execution. And props on the poster, although it is simple and vague it still works. Bottom Line 13 Game of Death was an all original horror film that devotes itself completely to the story line and the characters. If you are looking for a 110% original movie that will leave you wanting more then do yourself a favor and check this one out.
½ February 20, 2009
This was more funny than anything else. And really really gross. I mean really really gross. Normally, it takes a lot to gross me out in movies. But this...this took the cake...and I couldn't stop laughing at the guy's name.
adarkkitten
½ September 24, 2008
This film had considerable potential. Ultimately, it succeeded in some areas and failed in others. I thought this was a terrific story line! Moreover, the plot was well constructed. Sure, the premise is a bit on the unrealistic side; however, the numbered challenges effectively create suspense. (Which isn't always easy to do!) For a split second, I thought the movie was going to have a happy-ish ending. Then. Twist! I was actually pleased by the way things turned out - interesting statement! Too, I liked the psychological tie-ins to Chit's childhood. That really enhanced the story. Complaints? Um. Visually. This one did NOT delight. There was very little in the way of gore. The scene with the motorcycles, for example, could have been mind-blowing; yet, the camera never closes in. *Sigh* I also felt that several of the challenges were a bit weak. They definitely could have been more jaw dropping. So. Yes. You have your pros and cons with this one. Overall, though, it's worth a watch!
½ June 22, 2008
This is a Thai movie that I watched with English subtitles. Great, well made, intense film that had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Some really good twists and turns too. Highly recommended.
May 20, 2008
This I thought was a remake of 13-Tzameti. I still now dont know if its a remake, a sequel. a clone, or a condence that have the same name (the film claims it was made after a manga). I really liked 13 Tzameti , so it had a lot to live up too. It didnt disappoint me. It starts of showing us a nobody who's life is in chaos, money is frelled, work laid him off, girl left him, and he might as well end it all now. Then he gets the call.. "We can fix it all, all you have to do is play a little game" The point of this film really is what would you do for money? 13 challenges, at any time you can walk away-but empty handed- doesnt seem so bad. These arnt your "Fear Factor" kinda challenges though, these are very pointed challenges desigend to test how much of your self your willing to give up for money. The price gets very high believe me. By the time he gets to the 10th challenge there is so little of him left inside... he has to keep going, or it would have all been for nothing. As the end finally comes,t he money really doent matter that much anymore. That is the point I think the film is trying to make..and it makes it well. Deffentally a good watch.