13 Assassins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

13 Assassins Reviews

½ January 30, 2016
having to sit through 3/4s of a film with just confusing names, places, and traditions that none of us understand or can follow to just see a last 1/4 section of mostly just random sword swinging with one of the most cheesy villains around- kinda leaves you with a "meh".
½ May 27, 2011
Horrible! HORRIBLE MOVIE! Total waste of time
½ December 14, 2014
Besides the stunning set pieces and atmosphere, 13 Assassins has a ferocious energy to it and an excellent cast that elevate it to become a very powerful and rewarding story of justice. The action scenes are electrifying and the costumes are amazing.
December 9, 2015
It started very disturbing. I thought story development is kinda slow yet interesting parts by parts. I love the whole revenge thing, one scene that really caught my eye is when that poor lady wrote down using her mouth and quote "Massacre". I felt furious about it. And the villain is one of the most hated villain I've seen. I fucking hate that guy so much I want to ram his face into the ground. I kinda like the character development although you will never memorized each one of them. One of the flaws in this film is the last battle, I mean they kinda over did it a bit with some CGI stuffs and over the top action scenes at some point. But overall it is one of the best Japanese Samurai films since Zatoichi and RAN. It has some epic proportions that we will never forget.
November 28, 2015
81%
Saw this on 28/11/15
It starts off pretty well with a dark theme not quite seen in Samurai films and a devastating villain, however, it could have done away with a bit more of plot and a lesser resemblance to Seven Samurai. It has some fantastic cinematography, some violent non-stop action. The CGI could have been better. Like 7 samurai, it's also difficult in here to distinguish some of the assassins mostly because of a lesser character development.
October 4, 2015
Now this is some truly great filmmaking that propels this movie to instant classic status. Great action, storytelling, acting, tragic, heroic, etc. It's just all here!
½ September 19, 2015
Pretty good. Although I finish the movie asking myself what was it all about. People died, 40 minutes of sword fighting. A really decent villain. But I really cannot answer the question of what the movie was about. Yes there's the typical absolute power corrupts absolutely but what does the movie have to say beyond that? The director is an extremely violent one but also rather thoughtful. I was hoping that perhaps his themes could shine a little brighter in this movie.
July 20, 2015
While highly stylistic and masterfully choreographed, 13 Assassins does not deliver anything extraordinary in terms of plot and narrative. One may argue that this is a film with excuse plot for stylish massacre.
½ October 22, 2012
The last half of the movie is comparable to the House of Blue Leaves massacre in "Kill Bill" and Takashi Miike does not execute it at the expense of the movie's characters and thrills.
½ August 1, 2015
Much predictable and brutal. Just some action movie in which 13 guys kill by hundreds ...
July 31, 2015
An effective modern update of old-school samurai flicks.
June 8, 2015
Not even close to good reviews it got.
May 31, 2015
Filme sobre 12 samurais e um homem das montanhas que têm a missão de matar um lorde cruel e sanguinário antes que ele assuma um posto importante no governo. O filme aborda o xogunato .
½ May 24, 2015
The film is very similar to 7 samurai but saying that it does deliver. Takashi Miike proves again what a skilled director he is. His previous usually are quite avant garde and surreal but I like it when he blends that surrealism into modern reality like Audition. This film is a lot more straight though he throws in some of his touches like the women with her arms and legs cut off for the Lord's plaything, but its the action scenes that are impressive. This film shows the coming end of the Samurai and its way of life. Highly Recommended.
½ May 5, 2015
13 Assassins is brutal and fun.
February 26, 2015
An action film set at the end of Japan's feudal era - a little gory.
April 18, 2015
I pity you for not seeing this epic...
½ March 25, 2015
Surprisingly tame for a Miike film, but a bloody good time. I like that it has all the eccentricities you find in anime and old Japanese action movies. Like the rebel of the group who doesn't like being labeled a samurai, when he got excited his performance reminded me of a playful puppy dog. Very animated and memorable characters. Everyone is either spunky or they're intense warriors or warlords. People who are too fantastic to be really be real.

I'm not a fan of the main bad guy, though. Because of the director, when I read it was like Seven Samurai and women were raped I was expecting something crazy from Miike. Rape is terrible, but when used properly it can highlight a point and elevate the emotional sting of a plot. All we get here is the scene with the woman who gets her limbs removed. First of all, the woman was kind of weird. First thing you notice is the shaved eyebrows and her unusual character. Then the scene when her boyfriend is killed it's really is tragic. You feel sorry for how powerless he feels and vulnerable she is. But when they show her later it seems like it just went too far and lost its resonance, and it seems to be exploiting something terrible just to build up the main bad guy as a really bad guy. In the scenes defense, it was what I was expecting from Miike so I can't say I was disappointed. There are so many scenes there just to intensify the presence it's like he was the final boss in a Final Fantasy game.

The action is great if you like sword fighting. If not the battle might get a little disorienting at times. It has many elements of a summer blockbuster, but what makes it refreshing is the authenticity of the violence and the, literally, down to Earth setting. Seeing wood and mud explode is much more satisfying than seeing concrete and cars explode. I think the explosions are the highlight of the film, as well as the whole village, especially the gate. it's a very visual film, like most anime and action movies in general.
May 1, 2011
The samurai movie Akira Kurosowa wanted to make, but was instead fused together with Quentin Tarentino. Blood and violent sword fighting things that those two directors lived for. The bad guy was really unlikeable and easy to route for his death, and characters are likable and you get the sense of the moral issues they are dealing with and how it affects the 13.
April 5, 2015