1911

—— Wilfred: Season 4
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

1911 Reviews

February 23, 2014
Very disappointing. I was expecting a decent docu-drama on the 1911 Chinese revolution. However, even calling this a docu-drama might be giving it more credibility than it is due. Much of the "history" seems contrived for nationalistic purposes. There is a huge amount of embellishment, many of it simply to glorify the revolutionaries and put down everyone else, including the west. In some ways it is nothing more than Chinese propaganda.

Script is lame. Dialogue could not be more unrealistic. Even the battle scenes are over-dramatized. Plus, because Jackie Chan is included in the cast we are obliged to have a gratuitous, totally-out-of-place martial arts fight scene...

Performances are mostly woeful.

Avoid.
December 20, 2013
May be slow going for anyone not well-versed in this chapter of Chinese history. good but slo period pic
December 18, 2013
This is one of the worst movie I have ever watched. Disappointed and shame on Jackie.
October 23, 2013
Výborný historický film ke 100. výro?í vzniku ?ínské republiky. I ?ína prost? umí d?lat kvalitní filmy. A Jackie Chan op?t ukazuje, e umí hrát i n?co jiného ne skákajícího kaskadéra.
cosmo313
cosmo313

October 1, 2011
Co-directed by and featuring Jackie Chan (in what was apparently his 100th film), this is a sweeping historical epic about the 1911 Revolution, released during the event's centennial anniversary.

In the early 20th Century, China was in a state of turmoil. There's all kinds of poverty, social unrest, and recent reforms that were designed to help, have instead made matter worse. The ruling Qing Dynasty, at that time led by a 7 year-old emperor and his ruthless mother, are greatly out of touch. The power of this dynasty had been unquestioned for about 250 years, but right around the end of the first decade of the 20th Century, the tide began to turn, and a revolution to overthrow the old regime began to rise. And this is the story of that revolution.

The basic leader of the revolution is Huang Xing (Jackie Chan). He returns to China after spending time in Japan studying modern warfare. And, after seeing the sorry state his country is in, he feels no choice but to revolt, using his newly acquired skills and knowledge.

I really wanted to like this. It looked immense and epic and thrilling, and I'm almost always down for a historical drama. The film is supposed to have a run time of 125 minutes. For whatever reason, the version I saw was only 99 minutes. There's some deleted scenes on the DVD that would help beef up the run time, but even then, I feel like there's a lot missing. And for what is supposed to be an epic, it feels like anything but.

It feels rushed, and that's not good for a film about a complex and important event. Some context is given for the big players, major events, and all that, but all of the title cards are written in extremely tiny font, and flash by the screen all too quickly. Another bad sign. The film is apparently relatively faithful to the actual events in terms of portraying how it all went down, and the period details are quite nice. The film was given support by the Chinese government, but at the same time, the film cuts out some of the more sensitive and less flattering material that led to the revolution.

What I'm trying to say is that this is a condensed, neutered, half-assed film that is worse than it should be.

Like I said though, the period details, sets, costumes, etc. look great, and there are some decently done action scenes with good effects. It just makes me mad that you need a lot of prior knowledge (and/or excellent vision) to really figure out and appreciate what is going on here. Chan downplays his usual shtick, and the results are pretty strong. Joan Chen is also decent as the Empress Dowager. Everyone else though just kinda exists and does only as much as they're required. It also doesn't help that I struggled to care or get invested.

All in all, I'm unfortunately not impressed. This was a real let down. It has it's moments, but they're too few and far between for me to give this a higher rating.
July 28, 2013
Trades battle scenes for blocks of text instead of voiceovers, and ultimately it feels like a boring history class without a monotone teacher. Its as if someone handed you a textbook with pictures and said: read this. Jackie Chan is decent, and so is the actor who plays Sun Wen, but ultimately the movies shoves too much into a quick 99 minutes. Even the battle scenes seemed short, and the most interesting parts were with Sun Wen.
July 5, 2013
Sad to say, but there is very bad editing, and too much subtitles. Therefore it was difficult to follow.
Jan S.
June 26, 2013
Action flick meets history lesson. Actually pretty good!
PatLongworth
March 26, 2013
Universally bad reviews and then I come along and give this movie 5 stars and 10 out of 10!

What gives? I am not a Jackie Chan fan, like one negative reviewer, but I did watch this film finally, deciding to avoid the deleted scenes and watch only the film first.

A good move on my part as it turned out that the film is watchable whereas the deleted scenes do not provide the fact that watching one means you will be watching all of them plus the behind the scenes feature and the preview. No link called "Play All" because clicking one the first one means you will watch all of them, no ifs ands or buts.

Having subtitles on proved distracting as the spoken English didn't always match the subtitles and there were small historical references that popped up from time to time.

1911 Revolution is a sad yet fascinating look at the end of the Chinese Empire, the 1911 Revolution and the revolutionaries including Dr Sun the first president of revolutionary China. 10/10
FilmGrinder S.
April 28, 2013
Nothing about it popped for me. Boring.
April 14, 2013
This is an historical epic which meaningfully celebrated the 1911 revolution that brought prosperity to today's modern China.
The movie was filled with lots of serious and action battles, showing the memorable bloody moment where the elites were fighting for the bright future of China. However, typical chinese movie explained too much of the background, and the performance of Sun Yat Sen in Europe was overly dramatic. Also the over emphasizing the facial expression of Jacky Chan and other chinese who tried to sacrifice their lives for the revolution were overwhelming.
Otherwise, this could be a good movie.....
April 2, 2013
I may not be a high priced professional critic, just one of the paying audience. I liked it.
September 24, 2011
?????????????5??????
March 7, 2013
Interesting Chinese history film of Jackie Chan's 100th movie, more political manifesto than film and this marks the centenary of the Xinhai Revolution when China threw out the Quing dynasty and its famed Last Emperor. Though conceived on a grand scale and stylishly shot, this is an epic talkfest.
For those who are expecting Jackie Chan to create something new with his stunts and comical acts, they will be disappointed. 1911 marks Chan taking a serious role in his movie career by telling the remarkable chapter of the China history, which can be seen as another breakthrough after his role as a Chinese illegal immigrant paving a better life at Japan in Shinjuku Incident. (2009) As the director, he did not create any stunts or scenes of war for the sake of pleasing the audience who are seeing more action from him. War scenes are created to tell the pain people go through in a revolution, just as what was mentioned in the film, 'Revolution is not about death, but rather, paving a better future for the future generation.'
December 8, 2011
An amazing Jackie Chan film about the start of the short lived (under just one China and not ) Republic of China. (Even though Taiwan is the Republic of China today.)

This was a fantastic, action pact, war film, which takes you into what it war was like in the early 20th century, If you are a Jackie Chan fan, and you haven't seen this movie, you are really missing out!
January 25, 2013
While the film contains a few really exciting battle scenes, most of the film is sporadic, uncoordinated and makes an important piece of history seem like nothing more than what you might find in any text book. This is especially so considering the amount of text on screen explaining what has happened, what is happening, how things are proceeding etc. It's one thing to read subtitles but if I wanted to read a book, I wouldn't have watched the movie. Add in a misdirected love story that had no business being in the film and 1911 ends up being a confusing mish mash of interesting tidbits that never amount to much. If this was a documentary, I might understand the difficulty in bringing about a cohesive story but I can only assume this film fails mostly due to really poor directing choices and a script that never knew what story it was trying to tell.
Nathanieldk
December 15, 2012
Underrated. Good, a bit long, several inaccuracies, some cliches, and a few bad depictions of the West (as always with Chinese films).
December 10, 2012
This film contains obvious propaganda, lots of details but still keep the audience entertained in one level.
July 23, 2012
Boring, Long, Confusing, complicated movie of all time!!
November 3, 2012
A boring film about a boring war. Jackie Chan needs to stick to Rush Hour.