The 50 Best-Reviewed Best Picture Nominees

A wise movie's promotional slogan once said, "You don't get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies." Perhaps by this same coin, Hollywood doesn't get to 5 million movies without making a few good masterpieces.

Catch those 50 best-reviewed Best Picture nominees here. Right now!

Comments

jomo999

Joe Morris

A film called 'Page Not Found' won best picture? Never heard of it...

Feb 15 - 02:37 PM

Namclay

Zach M.

Its a fantastic movie! I could watch it over and over and over again.

Aug 12 - 02:36 PM

D.

Delon Lier

Seriously Wizard of Oz? I know it's was good for it's time and all but many movies on this list and off are much better, and were better reviewed. I hate when people are overly sentimental and don't realise what is of true value. Wizard of Oz is very good, but not the Best.

Feb 15 - 03:23 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

True value? Like epic visuals, changing the way people look at movie's and converting/some would say improving a classic story into a classic movie that is still heralded and shown to wide aclaim 70 years after it's release? Check, check and check. Wizard may not be to your personal liking, no movie because of depth and personal preference is going to get 100% aclaim, but Oz is hardly an insulting attempt.

Feb 16 - 04:54 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I don't think it has anything to do with sentiment; some people are simply able to view things in retrospect. Take Citizen Kane, for example. Techniques and storytelling methods that originated with it have been copied and improved upon over the years, but you still must respect where it all began.

Feb 16 - 07:47 AM

TheFriendlyOtter

Matt Malone

While the order in which these films are listed is essentially meaningless, every one of the films is outstanding and deserves to be watched at least once.

Feb 15 - 03:27 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Very subjective list and although they're alot of great films mentioned, they're also others that could've been on here as well, main one being "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" also should've been on here!

Feb 15 - 03:48 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Think you've encapsulated nicely exactly why they do lists like this on RT Dave.

Feb 16 - 04:56 AM

SarfarazAbbasi

Sarfaraz Abbasi

Fair judgment with Wizard of Oz

Feb 15 - 03:51 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

As I've pointed out before, the RT scores are a bit skewed on older films because there are less reviews registered here for them. Still, very glad to see "Chinatown" and "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" at a fat 100%. "All About Eve" is a classic, but not a favorite of mine. I prefer Carole Lombard, or something like "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" (don't tell me that's not a comedy!) or "Sullivan's Travels". People can argue about "Wizard of Oz" (what? too Floydy?), but I take a perverse satisfaction that "Gone With The Wind" couldn't crack the top 30. And this whole list illustrates just how badly the Academy used to snub Hitchcock. (No BP for "Rear Window"? That deserves an endless amount of Jimmy Stewart's stuttering chagrin, 'why, I outta...the NERVE!')

Feb 15 - 04:16 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Or Vertigo for that matter.

Feb 16 - 04:57 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

At least "Vertigo" was dense, and generally underappreciated until years later. "Rear Window" is one of Hitchcock's most accessible films. It was nominated for director and screenplay. And what else got nominated for Picture instead? "Three Coins in the Fountain"? Well, shucks.

Feb 16 - 11:13 AM

Thomas E.

Thomas Eli

Where is the favorite five blog? That's the only list of films I need coming from this site. On a weekly basis. Everything else, null.

Feb 15 - 06:16 PM

Jesse Leon Rodgers Jr

Jesse Leon Rodgers Jr

Star Wars?

Feb 15 - 07:16 PM

Cora

cora dawn

It's A Wonderful Life should at least be in the top ten!

Feb 15 - 07:32 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Not trying to be a contrarian at all, but I personally can't stand that movie. And Jimmy Stewart's performance irritates the hell out of me ("Zuzu's petals!"). Though I do find it a bit funny when he goes ape shit on the family.

Feb 16 - 07:52 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

You don't even get inspired at the end? Nah, it's cool that you don't like it, but I love that movie. I love the performances, and I love how James Stewart essentially plays two different characters, from a likeable everyman to man about to go over the edge. It all feels so real, too, to me anyway (my favorite parts are the parts where he sees what the world is like without him). Whenever I'm down in the dumps, it's one of the films that cheers me up.

Feb 16 - 05:40 PM

The Film Father

Steven Mihaljevich

Brad you're a neg...its a classic pal

Feb 18 - 06:55 PM

The Film Father

Steven Mihaljevich

Brad you're a neg...its a classic pal

Feb 18 - 06:55 PM

Observation 99

Observation 99

Nothing against All About Eve or The Wizard of Oz, but does anyone else think they slid Citizen Kane and The Godfather back a couple places just for some attention (or at least to avoid being "typical")?

Feb 15 - 10:02 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Feb 16 - 04:54 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Feb 16 - 04:56 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Or Vertigo for that matter.

Feb 16 - 04:57 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Feb 16 - 11:13 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Think you could have put the majority of movies on this list at #1 and not been totally off base. Only thing I'm a little disappointed in is that my personal favorite movie Raiders of the Lost Ark was eliminated from contention by by the 3 borderline retarded negative reviews it's got.

Feb 16 - 05:37 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I'm open to all opinions, but I'll never understand how anyone can dislike Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Feb 16 - 05:41 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

WHAT????!!!!SOCIAL NETWORK BELOW JAWS????THEY GOTTA BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 16 - 05:52 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Yeah Social Network below Jaws. In 35 years no ones going to be talking about how great the Social Network is or how it changed the movie's. People will still be talking about Jaws. Give me Roy Scheider over Timberlake and Eisenberg any day. What a strange argument to make, but I guess to each their own. The Social Network is great and definately is not out of place on the list, but Jaws is a classic that permanently altered the course of movie making.

Feb 16 - 07:22 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

We're going to need a bigger perspective...

Feb 16 - 11:14 AM

Helge B.

Helge Beck

Epic FIN!

Feb 16 - 03:03 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

For me Sorkin's screenplay was the only thing that elavated this film, Fincher is of course great, but not exceptionally so in this effort.

Feb 17 - 05:50 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I wasn't defending "Social Network". Like you said, the movie isn't bad, but I'm an official Zuckerberg hater. I was trying to imagine how Roy Scheider would have responded to Gimhana. "That's some Bad Beef, Gimmy".

Feb 17 - 10:34 AM

Dave J

Dave J

It depends because who knows, sharks could be wiped out if Asians continue to make shark fin soup out of them and the on growing effects upon social on-line media, how is that going to look like in 35 years for it's just a matter of time when every household is going to have a computer in their home! And Janson, I'm a Zuckerburg hater as well!

Feb 17 - 02:09 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

They gotta be kidding? You gotta be. Right?

Feb 16 - 08:09 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

social network sucked there i said it it wasn't the worst but it did not deserve on oscar

Feb 16 - 01:00 PM