Five Favorite Films with Jason Mewes

You know him most famously as the "Jay" in "Jay and Silent Bob," the odd couple that frequently pops up in Kevin Smith's films (Smith himself plays Silent Bob), but Jason Mewes has managed to stay quite busy outside of his collaborations with his longtime friend (which currently includes a weekly podcast). His latest role comes in noobz, a wacky road trip comedy that pokes fun at the world of competitive gaming. Mewes recently stopped by the RT office for a guest spot on our Rotten Toatoes radio show and stayed a bit longer to offer us his Five Favorite Films, so without further ado, here they are!

Krush Groove (Michael Schultz, 1985; N/A Tomatometer)

Krush Groove is awesome because it has all the old hip-hop people that I like. You know, LL Cool J, Run-DMC, who I love, Fat Boys, Sheila E. One of my favorite scenes in any movie is in that movie when Run comes out and he's like "We have a whole lot of superstars..." It just gives me goosebumps when I watch it.

House Party (Reginald Hudlin, 1990; 96% Tomatometer)

House Party is a favorite of mine because Kevin and I, when we first started hanging out actually, we started watching that movie. I watched it with him, he sort of introduced me to it. It has Martin Lawrence who's amazing, and some of my favorite quotes are from that movie. That whole house party dance with Kid n Play where they do the kicking and dancing, me and my buddies used to go to parties and try to do that and it's obnoxious.

Serenity (Joss Whedon, 2005; 82% Tomatometer)

Firefly or Serenity (the movie)... that was a really good show. I was really into Buffy and Angel, and when I was done watching them I was really bummed about it being over, and I'm like "I can't believe I've watched them all, what's next?" My buddy said "Hey, the guy who created that, Joss Whedon, also created a different show, called Firefly." So I watched that and there were only a few episodes, one season, but they made the movie, which was amazing. I'm just super into sci-fi.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick, 1993; 96% Tomatometer)

I just really dug the whole thing, and it's something... I don't if I can explain it, except for Jack Skellington [Jason stars singing] "What's this? What's this?" The singing and the cool horror, it was just a different movie for me.

Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977; 93% Tomatometer)

I'm sure a lot of people say this one. As a kid, the toys, the action figures, being able to watch the three movies, and being able to watch them over and over, and then so many years later, they came out with the new ones. And now they going to make more. It was a big movie growing up. As a kid, again, the toys -- I go back and watch some of those old commercials for [putting on his announcer voice] "The Millennium Falcon!" it just gives me goosebumps and reminds me of my childhood. Growing up, I didn't get any of the toys; my family couldn't afford to buy them. But what was awesome was my friend, he had two brothers, and they all wanted the same Star Wars toys, so their parents would get them three TIE fighters, or three Death Star sets. So on Christmas, I'd open up my presents, run to my friend's house, and they would get every single Star Wars thing, and I could play with them. And then they got into GI Joe, and they had the big hovercraft, and the space shuttle, it was awesome. Anyway, the combination of the movies and the toys makes it a classic for me.

Noobz is currently available on DVD.

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

I really don't know why I don't care about what he says! this almost reminds me of Pauly Shore except that Shore has been in more films than this guy has!

Feb 26 - 01:46 PM

Aaron Bohr

Aaron Bohr

Actually, Jason has appeared in more films and one of them was "Pauly Shore is Dead"

Feb 27 - 10:10 AM

Dave J

You're probably right, he probably appeared in more films but not in terms of first starring roles!

Feb 27 - 12:25 PM

Joshua Wilburn

Joshua Wilburn

1. Michael bay has made more films then Kubrick
2. This is Jay from Jay & Silent Bob! He's known literally all across the world.
3. You just tried to make Pauly Shore a possitive you son of a bitch! haha jk

Feb 27 - 01:53 PM

Dave J

I'm just saying that Jason seems just as boring as Pauly Shore since the only notable film role he's done that is significant is probably Jay & Bob which is not much and can't be compared to any film director whether he's Michael Bay or Roger Cormon!

Feb 27 - 03:39 PM

bassbait t.

bassbait the monkey

@Joshua Wilburn -

I'm sorry, but using MB in the same sentence as SK should NOT be allowed, after all, Stanley Kubrick is a genius of the highest sort, too good for the likes of commercial director (literally, directed commercials), MB (not gonna say his name in the same sentence, I won't let it happen!!!)

Feb 27 - 06:46 PM

Phillip Johnson

Phillip Johnson

@Joshua Wilburn
Bay has not made more films "than" Kubrick, and should never be compared to someone of his caliber. Playboy photo shoots are not films and it is a stretch to even consider any of his "popcorn trash" true filmmaking

Mar 1 - 11:40 AM

Dan Drew

Dan Drew

With your logic, Dave, you haven't been in any movies, so why should we give a fuck what you think? He is in very popular podcasts that have a huge following, so it would make sense to attract his fans.

Feb 27 - 11:20 PM

Dave J

That's not a good analogy since I'm only an unknown user- not on here as a 'public figure' saying that basically I'm only a nobody with absolutely no financial gain whatsoever as opposed to Jason! Why should anyone give a f-ck about what I have to say or should I even care about what others say since I'm not endorsing anything whatsoever! You're correct I am ignorant about what Jason Mewes does for a living but at the same time I've got nothing to promote but Jason on the other hand...

Feb 28 - 02:04 PM

Colin Behnke

Colin Behnke

Since when does popularity dictate talent or intelligence? Hell in our society the majority of people who are popular are some of the least intelligent and least talented.

Feb 28 - 12:13 AM

Dani Fenn-Wells

Dani Fenn-Wells

e.g. Kardashians

Feb 28 - 01:37 PM

Robert Brown

Robert Brown

The question is your five favorite movies from someone who has actually been in movies. It's not like RT asked him for his opinion on Israel-Palestine or who he'd like to see as the next Pope. This is just his five favorite movies, nothing more, nothing less.

Feb 28 - 09:03 PM

Billy Skelly

Billy Skelly

youre lame for even dissing this list.... what a tool -- snoochies boochies - boo boo kitty

Mar 1 - 04:25 AM

Luc Lessard

Luc Lessard

He has nice choices from his youth but i still never seen "Krush Groove".

Feb 26 - 02:00 PM

Saetre

Saetre Saetre

No Lord of the Rings? lol

Feb 26 - 02:25 PM

Rocky Road Taylor

Rocky Road Taylor

I wish you guys would do these articles more frequently, I love them!

Nightmare and Serenity are among my favorites, as well.

Feb 26 - 03:10 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Good choices

Feb 26 - 07:34 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I like his reasoning for Star Wars. I have a similar story with LOTR, and those awesome action figures. I still have them in my garage somewhere, but they are pretty busted up.

Apart from Star Wars, the only film on this list I've seen is Nightmare Before Christmas. I saw a few episodes of Firefly, but never saw Serenity.

Feb 26 - 08:32 PM

Billy Skelly

Billy Skelly

please watch clerks 2 and then think about your LOTR comment... hilarious

Mar 1 - 04:26 AM

Jonathan K.

Jonathan Kapp

Krush Groove wasn't a classic of 80's cinema by any means...It wasnt Scorsese...but it was big for Hip Hop at that time, in that pretty much all the original big names of Old School Hip Hop were in the film in one way or another. In fact, once of the best acting in the film from a rapper came from Kurtis Blow-I'm surprised he didnt act more after that film. Anyways, Krush Groove was 80's all the way, and therefore predated all the "Hood" movies of the 90's (Boyz in the Hood, etc) when rappers started to become actors. Anyways, Krush Groove is fun in it's own medium budget 80's movie type of way...House Party is still funny, though, these years later...and, of course, Star Wars, that'd be the number one film on my list as well...pretty cool choices from Jay-surprised at all the hip hop films he picked

Feb 27 - 09:34 AM

Phillip Johnson

Phillip Johnson

@Joshua Wilburn

Mar 1 - 11:40 AM

Saetre

Saetre Saetre

Also surprised to see that he didn't list Phantoms.

Feb 27 - 11:38 AM

James Hatch

James Hatch

Afflect was the bomb in Phantoms!!

Feb 28 - 07:33 AM

Phillip Johnson

Phillip Johnson

@Joshua Wilburn

Mar 1 - 11:40 AM

Joshua Wilburn

Joshua Wilburn

Totally read this in his voice.

Feb 27 - 01:49 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Same xD

Feb 27 - 06:08 PM

Joshua Wilburn

Joshua Wilburn

1. Michael bay has made more films then Kubrick
3. You just tried to make Pauly Shore a possitive you son of a bitch! haha jk

Feb 27 - 01:53 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Holy shit House Party has a high t-meter. Fucking loved that flick as a kid. Saw Kid & Play recently on an NBA game, it was insane to see them as older dudes.

Feb 27 - 01:55 PM

Feb 27 - 03:39 PM

Andrew Rossi

Andrew Rossi

jay and silent bob is the best.

Feb 27 - 05:45 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Same xD

Feb 27 - 06:08 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Smith really needs to get back with Mewes and rekindle the greatness that was Jay and Silent Bob.

Feb 27 - 06:09 PM

Billy Skelly

Billy Skelly

they have a podcast... you should check it out

Mar 1 - 04:28 AM

Dan Drew

Dan Drew

Feb 27 - 11:20 PM

Feb 28 - 02:04 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office