Box Office Guru Wrapup: Iron Man 3 Soars Above the Rest

Tony Stark and company have one of the biggest opening weekends in history.

Tony Stark obliterated the competition as the much-anticipated super hero sequel Iron Man 3 generated the second biggest opening weekend in box office history and also became the top-grossing global blockbuster of 2013. Domestic audiences spent a jaw-dropping $175.3M this weekend, according to estimates, seeing the third installment in the Marvel franchise including grosses from Thursday night shows starting at 9:00pm. Playing in 4,253 theaters, the PG-13 actioner averaged a scorching $41,218 per location and was helped by surcharges for the 3D conversion.

9% of the weekend gross ($16.5M) came from the 326 higher-priced IMAX screens. Overall, 45% of the frame came from 3D screens representing a drop from The Avengers which was 52% a year ago this same weekend. That Marvel assembly of super heroes still holds the all-time record for opening weekend with a staggering $207.4M putting Robert Downey Jr. in the two biggest debuts in industry history. Both films were released by Disney on the first weekend of May kicking off the summer movie season against zero competition.

Iron Man 3's gargantuan run started off with $15.6M in Thursday night shows from 9:00pm into the post-midnight hours. The full opening day gross (including all Thursday night business) was $68.3M. That stands as the eighth best opening day ever. The real magic for the Stark-vs-Mandarin pic came on Saturday when the film declined by only 9% to $62.2M. By comparison, last year Avengers witnessed a larger 14% dip on Saturday coming off of a Friday gross that did not include Thursday night business starting so early. Iron Man 2's Saturday drop was 11%.

With threequels usually eroding faster than their predecessors - especially when release weekends are identical - it was extraordinary that Iron Man 3 held up so well in its second day. Disney projected that Sunday would drop by 28% to $44.8M. Sunday falls for Avengers and Iron Man 2 were 18% and 32%, respectively.

Iron Man 2 was seen as disappointing creatively by many fans and normally that would have prompted some of the audience to skip out on another chapter in the series. However, Avengers was so well-liked that it erased that bad taste and even expanded the overall fan base which Iron Man 3 capitalized on this weekend. Word of mouth is good so far as the CinemaScore grade was an A and also reviews have been fairly positive. Avengers scored higher in both categories, however for a threequel to earn these marks is terrific and bodes well for the weeks ahead. The next big action tentpole is Star Trek Into Darkness opening on IMAX on May 15 and in conventional theaters on Thursday May 16 so Iron Man 3 has a good week and a half of clear sailing to soar past the $200M and $300M marks. Even if it plays out with the same declines as Iron Man 2, it would break $400M as well by the end of the domestic run.

The new blockbuster was once again anchored by superstar Robert Downey Jr. who can now claim to be the only movie star with $500M+ global blockbusters over the last six consecutive years. This comes from three Iron Man films, two Sherlock Holmes movies, and of course Avengers. Once hitting rock bottom in his career, the acclaimed actor has used his immense skills to turn things around and make himself into the world's top box office draw.

Audience breakdown for Iron Man 3 was identical to Avengers when it came to gender - 61% male. But the new Stark movie played a little older with 55% being over 25 compared to 50% for the super hero value pack. As for the entire marketplace, with Iron Man 3 absorbing all the free screens within each multiplex it accounted for a whopping 80% of the entire box office this weekend with no other wide releases daring to open and no holdover hitting double digit millions. Iron Man completely dominated the marketplace. Avengers commanded the exact same share of the box office one year ago this weekend when it crushed its foes.

This is the seventh consecutive year that Marvel seized control over the lucrative first weekend in May to kickoff the summer movie season. Though its characters have done it before, the current streak started in 2007 with Sony's Spider-Man 3 continuing with 2008's Iron Man, 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, 2010's Iron Man 2, 2011's Thor, and Avengers last year. The comic giant has no intention of giving up this prime piece of box office real estate and has already planted its flag on May 2 next year with Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 as well as May 1, 2015 for The Avengers 2 which could conceivably score an opening weekend that breaks the $250M mark. They are essentially telling every other film to backoff. And it would surprise nobody if Marvel and Disney claim May 6, 2016 for a fourth Iron Man film. But next up are super sequels with Thor returning this November and Captain America next April.

Iron Man 3 was also a colossal behemoth at the overseas box office this weekend where it played in its second round in most territories. The Marvel hero grossed a stellar $175.9M driven by new openings in China ($63.5M in 5 days), Russia ($21.7M in 4), and Germany ($10M in 5). That boosted the international total to a mammoth $504.8M and the global haul to a jaw-dropping $680.1M in under two weeks. That's even more than the $655M that Avengers grossed in the same 12 days last year. Release dates were mostly the same as it too opened in most overseas markets one week before domestic to capitalize on the May Day holiday which is not celebrated in the U.S. The main difference is that Iron Man 3 opened in China three days earlier. With local partner DMG involved in producing the film, extra footage for a special version only for Chinese audiences, and Chinese stars added in, the results were record-breaking for Iron Man 3 in that market where it smashed the all-time opening day record on Wednesday with an estimated $21.5M.

Trailing lucrative China, the next best results for Iron Man 3 came from two-week cumes in Korea ($42.6M), the U.K. ($38.3M), Mexico ($35.8M), Brazil ($30.1M), Australia ($28.4M), France ($27.8M), and Russia's $21.7M from just the opening weekend. With nearly two weeks of clear sailing in most offshore markets (Star Trek Into Darkness debuts in six markets next weekend plus previews in others), Iron Man 3 could very well be on a trajectory towards the $1.3 billion mark in worldwide box office.

The rest of the top ten featured scraps of spring leftovers fighting over what was left of the box office pie. The Mark Wahlberg-Dwayne Johnson action-comedy Pain & Gain tumbled from the number one spot and lost 63% of its business. Paramount grossed an estimated $7.6M putting the ten-day take at $33.9M. Produced for a reported $26M, the Michael Bay film should end its domestic run with about $45M.

The baseball drama 42 held up well dipping 42% to an estimated $6.2M giving Warner Bros. $78.3M to date. Tom Cruise's sci-fi adventure Oblivion followed with an estimated $5.8M, down 67%, for a $76M domestic total to date for Universal. Hit toon The Croods eased by just 37% to an estimated $4.2M and upped its cume to $168.7M.

Dropping 49% was the critically-panned Lionsgate title The Big Wedding with an estimated $3.9M for a lousy $14.2M cume in ten days. Matthew McConaughey's new film Mud jumped into the top ten in its second weekend of moderate play with an estimated $2.2M from 576 locations for a mild $3,733 per theater. Roadside Attractions added 213 new sites boosting the theater count by 59% following its eleventh place debut last week. The weekend dip in grosses was only 3% and the cume is $5.2M.

Also making about as much this weekend as last time was the year's top domestic blockbuster (for now) Oz the Great and Powerful with an estimated $1.8M, even with last weekend. Disney coupled the fantasy adventure with Iron Man 3 for many drive-in double features nationwide and got to loot some extra cash off of Tony Stark's popularity. The studio did the same thing with John Carter and The Avengers a year ago. Oz has now banked $228.6M from North America and $485.6M worldwide.

Crashing 58% was the spoof sequel Scary Movie 5 with an estimated $1.4M giving The Weinstein Co. $29.6M to date. The Focus title The Place Beyond The Pines rounded out the top ten with an estimated $1.3M, down 52%, for a $18.7M cume.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $209.7M which was down 15% from last year when The Avengers debuted at number one with a record $207.4M; but up 37% from 2011 when Thor opened in the top spot with $65.7M.

Follow Gitesh on Twitter!

Comments

Dustin F.

Dustin French

I know a lot of comic book fans are disappointed; but I thought Iron Man 3 was the best of the trilogy so far!

May 5 - 06:08 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Iron Man 4- here we come!

May 6 - 02:49 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Compared to Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3 was a masterpiece.

May 7 - 07:36 AM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

I seriously was not expecting an opening that big, almost as shocking as the 152 mill opening from The Hunger Games last year.

May 5 - 06:27 PM

Bazooka Jew

I loved IM3. My favorite Marvel film so far. I'm glad it's doing well. I understand why comic book fans would hate the twist, but as a non-comic-devotee, I thought it was fun.

May 5 - 06:46 PM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

yeah me too

May 5 - 10:19 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

same

May 6 - 01:59 AM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Okay, Imagine if the Joker wasn't Heath Ledger, but some random dude. Would you still like TDK

May 6 - 02:54 PM

But he wasn't.

May 6 - 03:38 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

But the Mandarin was

May 6 - 03:54 PM

Bazooka Jew

I didn't care because I had no clue who the Mandarin even was before everyone was bitching about the twist.

May 6 - 04:32 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

You mean like Kaiser Soze? Cause that turned out pretty alright.

May 6 - 05:33 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Who's Kaiser Soze?

May 6 - 05:49 PM

Zach Pitts

Zach Pitts

Dude usual suspects go out and rent it now than report back instantly

May 6 - 11:35 PM

Greg Arrigotti

Greg Arrigotti

@David Tanny Iron Man 3 was a really fun movie, but best Marvel movie to date? I'm not sure I agree with that- As a whole Iron Man 3 did what Avengers did enough plot to make the story work- But focused on banter, humor, and action. For The Avengers that makes sense, as the fun in that story is the interaction of the characters. In Iron Man it is well, the story and the character. Personally I think The Amazing Spiderman, X-Men: First Class, Captain America, and even Thor had stronger stories. Which I wish Iron Man 3 had a stronger story, the Mandarin is actually one of his equals which makes the character struggle really interesting. Iron Man 3 as a raw movie was awesome, once I got passed that let down with the swap. The second time it was more enjoyable. Thor 2 should have a more dark appeal mostly as the writer and director have changed; so it should be good.

May 6 - 04:15 PM

Bazooka Jew

Regarding IM3, that's just my personal preference. I'm looking forward to Thor 2, even if the trailer failed to impress me. I enjoyed the first one.

May 6 - 04:34 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I enjoyed the heck out of he Thor trailer. I thought it looked pretty awesome.

May 6 - 05:34 PM

Bazooka Jew

I liked the end when it shows that Loki will team up with Thor. But everything before that moment was...eh. I'm hoping the next trailer is more promising.

May 6 - 05:37 PM

Fred Brooks

I thought the "Thor" trailer was fantastic, plus you have to remember man it was just a 'Teaser', the first one.

May 7 - 03:18 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Meh, who cares about comic book fan's opinions. Unless it is near 90% true or more to the source material, they tend to bitch.

May 7 - 07:45 AM

Fred Brooks

Lol, you can say that again.

May 7 - 03:18 PM

Andrew Perry

Andrew Perry

Well I don't always agree with them, but I respect the source material enough to see where they are coming from. I liked the swap; I thought it was hilarious. Can I see why die hard fans would be upset over the equivalent of Joker to Iron Man being replaced? Yes..I see where they are coming from.

Something that really made me mad was the ending to TDKR. Batman never quits! It is said in nearly every comic book series pertaining to him, every TV show pertaining to him, every movie series pertaining to him, etc.
To me at least...that was a true crime against the source material and character.

Iron Man 3 was good though.

May 9 - 01:59 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Is it me or does it look like Iron Man 3 is almost gonna make as much money as The Avengers?

May 5 - 06:58 PM

Bazooka Jew

The way it's looking now, it has a good chance. I'm interested to see how Thor 2 will do.

May 5 - 07:03 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

thor 2 will not make it

May 6 - 02:00 AM

Bazooka Jew

Yeah, I know. Thor doesn't have the appeal Iron Man has.

May 6 - 10:09 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

But I think that Thor 2 will do better than the first one mostly because more people will like him from Avengers.

May 6 - 04:59 PM

Fred Brooks

You're being foolish if you think "Thor: The Dark World" won't be a big hit, i can tell you that now dude. I guarantee you it be one of the 10 biggest hits of 2013 without a doubt.

May 7 - 03:21 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

It's just you and David possibly others. Avengers did not have the "THAT WAS THE STUPID PIECE OF CRAP I HAVE EVER SEEN!" Twist that Iron Man 3 did and a "I HOPE ALL THE DISNEY MARVEL PEOPLE DIE!" viewers will not be returning for seconds thirds and fourths like they did with The Avengers.

May 5 - 08:03 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

It wasn't really that why Avengers made a lot, it was more of "WOW! CAPT AMERICA, HULK, IRON MAN, AND THOR UNITING FOR ONE MOVIE WHERE THEIR GONNA KICK LOKI'S BUTT! I'M GONNA TOTALLY SEE THIS!" -Says every comic book geek in the world. Then boom, a billion dollars later.

May 5 - 09:28 PM

Fred Brooks

No it does'nt, while "Iron Man 3" is already a smash and will make lots more money, ain't no way it's approaching "The Avengers" 623 million domestic. It's not going to reach it's 1.5 billion total either, but i do see "Iron Man 3" hitting 400+million domestic and 1.2-1.3 billion worldwide when it's said and done.

May 5 - 11:40 PM

Duddy112

Fuddy Duddy

Well of course iron man 3 was going to be number 1 no surprise here. It will probably be number 1 next week as well. Not sure if I should see it the second film was just meh in my opinion , and this one doesn't look much better. Maybe I'm wrong , but my expectations are low for this movie. I wonder how well the great gatsby is going to do next weekend. I'm surprised they would release a movie like that just 1 week after iron man and a week before star trek. The movie cost over 100 million dollars the movie will probably not do so well. Especailly with fast and furious 6 and after earth coming later this month. I don't know we'll see.

May 5 - 06:59 PM

Christian F.

Christian Flores

With the release of The Great Gatsby next week, Iron Man 3's going to have to fight for that #1 spot again.

May 5 - 08:03 PM

Fred Brooks

Not hardly, "Iron Man 3" will easily win the box office over "The Great Gatsby" next week.

May 5 - 11:42 PM

Greg Arrigotti

Greg Arrigotti

This years biggest box office will either be Iron Man 3, Stark Trek 2, or Man Of Steel. Star Trek was an amazing movie; Star Trek 2 has that same potential. We can't forget Star Trek did well enough to actually go back into theaters a second time. Either way, Great Gatsby will lose out, mostly because Iron Man 3 has a good word of mouth going so it will do what Iron Man did when it first released sort of hindering audiences who may of been on that cusp.

May 6 - 04:20 PM

Christian F.

Christian Flores

Of course Gatsby won't gross as high as Star Treck or Iron Man, however it has been one of the most anticipated films of the year and atleast I think it holds a rough chance at that #1 spot. I may be wrong of course, but as another comment said, don't count DiCaprio's massive audience out just yet.

May 6 - 07:07 PM

Fred Brooks

Where "Iron Man 3" is by next sunday is going to tell me if any film this year has a chance at surpassing it. If it's around 300 million or close to it, that means it will finish over 400 million domestic which i'll find hard for any other film to top this year. I can already see overseas no film is going touch those numbers this year. I do think "Star Trek" & "Man Of Steel" should finish among the 5 to 10 biggest grossing films this year.

May 7 - 03:29 PM

Zach Pitts

Zach Pitts

Or the fact the great Gatsby is a classic American novel that most people read in high school. Has a shot at #1 but iron man will hold on to #1 barely

May 6 - 11:39 PM

May 5 - 07:03 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

thor 2 will not make it

May 6 - 02:00 AM

Bazooka Jew

Yeah, I know. Thor doesn't have the appeal Iron Man has.

May 6 - 10:09 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

May 6 - 04:59 PM

May 7 - 03:21 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Was expecting around 140 million for Iron Man, so I am rather shocked by that opening. Good for Downey, though.

So, what are everybody's predictions for The Great Gatsby next week? I am seeing a repeat of Australia's performance from a few years back.

May 5 - 07:20 PM

Duddy112

Fuddy Duddy

I don't think the great gatsby will do well next week. The film cost over 100 million there's no way it could be number 1 next week I would be surprised if it happened.

May 5 - 07:33 PM

Christian F.

Christian Flores

I think it stands a chance, as long as Luhrmann doesn't dish out something as bad as Australia. With such an outstanding cast and a strong following of the book, Gatsby just might hold its own against the Iron superpower.

May 5 - 08:09 PM

Fred Brooks

I believe "The Great Gastby" can have a solid opening weekend, maybe as much as 30-35 million. However that won't be nearly enough to truly challenge "IM3", i expect that to take in between 65-75 million next weekend.

May 5 - 11:47 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I was also surprised at how well Iron Man 3 did. I enjoyed it (not as good as Iron Man or Avengers but still a great movie). I think audiences really like Robert Downey Jr.

On the Great Gatsby, it's going to heavily depend on the reviews. The Great Gatsby is the type of the film that will appeal to older, more sophesticated adults (i.e. similar to the core audience for 42) and professional reviews are going to matter a lot more than typical summer blockbusters. If the reviews are mixed or worse, then it will bomb at theaters. For a good opening (say around 30 million) I think it would need a 90% or higher RT meter. If its around the 70s or 80s maybe 17-20 million. The Peeples should make at least 10 million of not more thanks to Tyler Perry's built in audience. Of course Iron Man 3 will win next weekend as people who weren't bothered to go to big crowds this weekend will see it next weekend. Maybe around 80 million or so.

May 5 - 09:12 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Gatsby could draw some teens, and not just those late on their book reports. The book is an assigned standard, and many young readers still consider it one of the few assigned books that becomes a personal favorite. However, precious little of the book's essence is apparent on screen in those trailers, so, I'd say, it'll probably receive the failure it deserves.

May 5 - 10:24 PM

Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

As a teenager, many kids in my classes are ecstatic about the film. Personally, I believe it will do well enough in the box office, but will not be good (no way it can compare to the novel).

May 6 - 02:41 PM

bijio

biji badness

i honestly think 'gatsby' could go as high as 40 million. don't count leonardo di caprio's massive appeal, man.

May 6 - 12:44 PM

Duddy112

Fuddy Duddy

May 5 - 07:33 PM

Christian F.

Christian Flores

May 5 - 08:09 PM

May 5 - 11:47 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

I just don't understand

May 5 - 07:35 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I was never a huge Iron Man fan, but i am a big Ben Kingsley Fan. I didn't hate the twist I just wish it had a bigger follow up. 5 minutes into Switzerland or where ever he was I was struggling to give any kind of a crap about his previous fling or Guy Pierce once again in ridiculous make up. I kept saying Don't Hate Don't Hate Ben Kingsley will save this...what a let down. Excellent performance from Kingsley.

May 5 - 08:02 PM

Christian F.

Christian Flores

May 5 - 08:09 PM

May 5 - 11:47 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Of course "Iron Man" took the top spot; not broken up about it, though, I had a pretty good time with the film last Friday. Not being a Marvel Comics reader, I didn't mind the big twist, but after looking up (SPOILER) the Mandarin character(END SPOILER) on Wikipedia, I can see why so many fans were angry. (SPOILER) Might've helped to use a lesser character as the front instead of IM's biggest enemy. (END SPOILER)

May 5 - 08:53 PM

Chris Boshie

Chris Boshie

I absolutely agree with you! Seeing as the Character had nothing to do with the Mandarin from the comics then why did they waist the Iron Man comics biggest villian? They definitely could of used a lesser name and had the same exact movie without wasting a cool character they could use later.

May 5 - 10:23 PM

Quinton McDannald

Quinton McDannald

I don't think they could have used a real Mandarin today. They already did the terrorist thing in #1 and the comic Mandarin was kind of racist.

May 6 - 07:52 AM

Dave J

Dave J

The twist of Iron Man 3 may have been inspired by Nolans "The Dark Knight Rises"!

May 8 - 11:54 AM

May 6 - 01:59 AM

Chris Boshie

Chris Boshie

May 5 - 10:23 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office