2014 BAFTA Awards Nominations

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts -- otherwise known as BAFTA -- announced the 2014 nominees for their prestigious annual awards on January 8, with a wide variety of mostly familiar faces across the board. Winners will be honored at the BAFTA Awards ceremony, which will be held on Sunday, February 16.

Comments

Mac

Joe Jarosz

I'm so surprised that American Hustle is getting this much love. I am a genuine film lover and it's not even in my top 5-10 this year on any level, except maybe costume design. 12 Years, Her, Mud, Blue Jasmine, WOWS, Blue is the Warmest Color, Short-Term 12, Inside Llewyn Davis...all were better than AH. Also, is there a reason 'Her' did not qualify for any of these awards? The film was excellent on every level.

Jan 8 - 11:49 AM

Nick Fury

Nick Fury

I don't know what Short Term 12 is, but American Hustle was much, much better than Inside Llewyn Davis or Her.

Jan 8 - 12:59 PM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Short Term 12 was a near perfect film. I'm not making judgements, but if you thought AH was better than Her or ILD, you would not like Short Term 12 either. But, in my opinion, it deserves to be noticed. Also, Her was twice the film American Hustle was...I even liked Amy Adams more in Her.

Jan 8 - 01:30 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

HER wasn't elegible, because of its release date.

Jan 8 - 01:34 PM

Stef

Stefan N

Bafta's prove to be once again the worst awards show: too political (Captain Phillips - Abdi and Hanks are mediocre and so is the direction, too formula-loving (NO Her - best actor, director, screenplay, film- NO June Squibb, Jared Leto), too much Behind the Candelabra since it's a TV Movie for crying out loud! It should be nominated for TV Movie awards! No Wind Rises! Worst list of the year by far.

Jan 8 - 12:40 PM

Dante D.

Dante Dachshund

Dallas Buyers Club is ineligible this year because it has not yet been released in the UK. It won't be out until February.

Jan 8 - 12:47 PM

Stef

Stefan N

Thanks Dante, but I still feel Captain Phillips is overrated.

Jan 8 - 12:55 PM

William J.

William Johnsten

It's true that Dallas Buyers Club is being officially released next year in UK, but every BAFTA voter actually had a screening of it, making it eligible. Sorry, but they were snubbed, not delayed.

Jan 8 - 10:23 PM

Anthony D'Elia

Anthony D'Elia

Sorry but you're wrong about Abdi and Hanks in Captain Phillips, far from mediocre. As for Greengrass's direction, yeah he doesn't deserve as much attention, especially compared to the Coens, Alexander Payne, and Spike Jonze (although Jonez wasn't eligible for BAFTA because Her hasn't released in the UK yet).

Jan 8 - 10:00 PM

Eero Vanne

Eero Vanne

Behind the Candelabra was released theatrically in Europe. It was a TV movie only in the U.S.

Jan 9 - 02:14 AM

David Platt

David Platt

Wind Rises hasn't come out over here, so it's ineligible and Behind the Candelabra came out in cinemas which means it can be nominated for the film awards. Do some research first before making yourself look like an idiot.

Jan 9 - 01:58 PM

Dante D.

Dante Dachshund

Jan 8 - 12:47 PM

Stef

Stefan N

Thanks Dante, but I still feel Captain Phillips is overrated.

Jan 8 - 12:55 PM

William J.

William Johnsten

Jan 8 - 10:23 PM

Stef

Stefan N

Thanks Dante, but I still feel Captain Phillips is overrated.

Jan 8 - 12:55 PM

Nick Fury

Nick Fury

Great to see American Hustle, 12 Years a Slave and Gravity do well. Most of my other favorites were all thrown into visual effects because that's the only place where movies made for accessible entertainment can get recognized (along with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug's hair and makeup nomination), and my top 2 movies of last year, Catching Fire and The World's End, didn't get a single nomination. If TV movies count, then Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor, which was much better than a great many theatrical movies that came out this year, should be nominated for many categories. I haven't seen Behind the Candelabra (I never liked Soderbergh's directing style), but it doesn't qualify. Also, while I liked Captain Philips, Barkhad Abdi wasn't very good and his spot should go to Ben Kingsley for Iron Man 3, Nick Frost for The World's End or Benedict Cumberbatch for Star Trek Into Darkness or The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. And Inside Llewyn Davis, while a very well-written, well-acted movie, should in no way be up for technical awards, considering that it looked as bland and dreary as can be. I haven't seen Nebraska (despite having family there) but from what I've seen in trailers and clips, in no possible way should it be nominated for cinematography.

Jan 8 - 12:58 PM

Mike Fenn

Mike Fenn

Inside Llewyn Davis was a beautifully shot movie. A movie does not need to be flashy to have great cinematography.

Jan 8 - 01:33 PM

Alec Friedman

Alec Friedman

I agree with Mike. Inside Llewyn Davis was supposed to be drab-looking. since music is a tough way to live, it is only fitting that it looks bleak. Coen brothers are visual masters. American Hustle was only good because it had some great acting and a couple nice twists. Nothing special. I liked it, and I think it deserves to be there and what not, but again, nothing I haven't seen before. Think of it as an underperforming version of goodfellas. Fury, Kingsley had 1 good scene in Iron Man 3. 1. That's it. No deserved mention, sorry. nick frost was an average joe in world's end as well. If you were expecting love for big-budget crap-fests (excluding world's end and catching fire, cuz those were pretty good), pay attention to the saturn awards instead. That is all. Don't come back next year to this website and complain about transformers 4 not getting a directing nomination or something. Not trying to be mean or anything, just saying. Also, Her was amazing. No excuse to bash it.

Jan 8 - 03:47 PM

Nick Fury

Nick Fury

Jan 8 - 12:59 PM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Jan 8 - 01:30 PM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

WHAT, NOTHING FOR SPIKE JONZE'S HER!!??

Jan 8 - 01:09 PM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Jan 8 - 01:30 PM

Mike Fenn

Mike Fenn

Jan 8 - 01:33 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

HER wasn't elegible, because of its release date.

Jan 8 - 01:34 PM

Connor Vallecillo

Connor Vallecillo

Why is Behind the Candelabra nominated? That's a TV movie.

Jan 8 - 01:42 PM

Mike Smith

Mike Smith

It was released to theatres overseas, hence the qualitcations.

Jan 8 - 01:54 PM

Guillermo Mendoza

Guillermo Mendoza

How can 12 Years a Slave possibly be a contender for Gravity.. it really makes no sense. 12 Years a Slave is like Saw during the slavery period. Gravity is pure brilliance, entertaining and most importantly a film made by a film making visionary of the highest level.. mr. Cuaron.

Jan 8 - 01:49 PM

Joseph Listopad

Joseph Listopad

Slavery WAS like saw during the slavery period. Slaves really were mostly playthings to the most sadistic slave-owners, who were forced BY LAW to kill or maim any slave that showed any sign of intelligence. It really was that bad.

Jan 8 - 04:58 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

I agree, Gravity had an innovation that few films this year had, such as Her, Frances Ha and Blue Jasmine.

Jan 10 - 04:14 AM

Mike Smith

Mike Smith

It was released to theatres overseas, hence the qualitcations.

Jan 8 - 01:54 PM

Lal Dhritiman

Lal Dhritiman

Mandela: Long Walk...has 57% ratings & they have written 93%! whay do they have to lie??

Jan 8 - 02:04 PM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

It was a coding error. It's been fixed.

Jan 8 - 02:42 PM

Kena Dor

Kena Dor

Since when did Long walk to freedom have a 93% rating on rotten? Is this an error or just a flat out lie?

Jan 8 - 02:09 PM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

See my reply to the comment above.

Jan 8 - 02:42 PM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

It was a coding error. It's been fixed.

Jan 8 - 02:42 PM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

See my reply to the comment above.

Jan 8 - 02:42 PM

Sabrina Fernández

Sabrina Fernández

Bradley Cooper and Christian Bale are the only ones who did a good performance, I don't know why Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence are they even nominated. And why is the American Hustle so overrrated? the movie reminds a little to Goodfellas and Casino. Among all the films, 12 Years Slave is the best, I wish Lupita Nyong'o and Chiwetel Ejiofor will win a BAFTA because they totally deserve it. Just my opinion

Jan 8 - 02:49 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships