66th Annual Directors Guild of America Awards Winners

After announcing their five nominees for Best Film Director of 2013, the Directors Guild of America continued on January 9 by further announcing their nominees for directing achievements in television. Accordingly, we've updated our list below to include the TV categories. The winners will be announced at a Jane Lynch-hosted ceremony on January 25 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in sunny Los Angeles.

Between 2003 to 2011, the DGA Award winner also took home the Best Director Oscar in February, until 2012, when Argo's Ben Affleck got the DGA and ultimately was not nominated for the Academy Award.

Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Variety/Talk/News/Sports - Regularly Scheduled Programming

• Dave Diomedi - Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, "#799"
  • Andy Fisher - Jimmy Kimmel Live, "#13-1810"
  • Jim Hoskinson - The Colbert Report, "#10004"
  • Don Roy King - Saturday Night Live, "Saturday Night Live with Host Justin Timberlake"
  • Chuck O'Neil - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, "#19018"

Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Reality Shows

• Matthew Bartley - The Biggest Loser, "1501"
  • Neil P. DeGroot - 72 Hours, "The Lost Coast"
  • Paul Starkman - Top Chef, "Glacial Gourmand"
  • J. Rupert Thompson - The Hero, "Teamwork"
  • Bertram van Munster - The Amazing Race, "Beards in the Wind"

Comments

Casual Friday

Casual Friday

so 12 Years a Slave takes Best Picture, but Alfonso Cuaron gets Best Director. Looks like American Hustle's consolation prize is stealing Original Screenplay from Spike Jonze's Her.

Jan 26 - 01:10 AM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Pretty much, although there's still that distant possibility where it can get shut out completely by the Academy and not win anything. That would be surprising if Nyong'O took the Oscar away from Lawrence, Jonze upset Russell for Screenplay, and either 12 Years A Slave or The Great Gatsby took home Best Costume Design.

Jan 26 - 03:13 AM

David Platt

David Platt

The thing is though, if the Academy want to give 12 Years A Slave Best Picture then it needs to win two more Oscars, because 3 in the 21st century seems to be the minimum for a Best Picture winner - I'm predicting Adapted Screenplay and Supporting Actress the be the others - unless ofcourse they do a ballsy move and give Gravity Best Picture.

Jan 26 - 10:39 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Regardless, I think that Cuaron has Best Director locked in.

Jan 26 - 02:52 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

This is an Absolute outrage! How could Anybody win over Scorsese! FAN BOY NERD RAGE ACTIVATE! Okay, now that that's out of the way. Based on the Cauron films that I have seen. He's absolutely Fantastic! Great Win!

Jan 26 - 03:01 PM

Stefan N

Uh..I wouldn't call it a steal if it's deserving.

Jan 26 - 09:22 AM

Casual Friday

ah, maybe "steal" was too harsh. But I felt like Hustle's script was the weakest part of that movie, while Her's was it's strongest part.

Jan 27 - 11:42 AM

Stefan N

I understand your perspective, but I still say that Hustle's script was in fact the best part.

Jan 27 - 05:32 PM

Casual Friday

Stefan, what did you think of Nebraska? And its script? I thought both ere brilliant. Simple, but powerful.

Jan 29 - 12:29 PM

Johnsgamache Johnsgamache

Johnsgamache Johnsgamache

my neighbor's sister-in-law makes $76 hourly on the computer. She has been without work for six months but last month her income was $14418 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit the site....
w瓀瓀.d璾璪񪏔.C璷璵

Jan 29 - 05:27 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Jan 26 - 03:13 AM

David Platt

David Platt

Jan 26 - 10:39 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Regardless, I think that Cuaron has Best Director locked in.

Jan 26 - 02:52 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jan 26 - 03:01 PM

Stefan N

Uh..I wouldn't call it a steal if it's deserving.

Jan 26 - 09:22 AM

Jan 27 - 11:42 AM

Jan 27 - 05:32 PM

Jan 29 - 12:29 PM

David Platt

David Platt

Jan 26 - 10:39 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Regardless, I think that Cuaron has Best Director locked in.

Jan 26 - 02:52 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jan 26 - 03:01 PM

Marc Richardson

Marc Richardson

Not surprised that Cuaron won the DGA. He did win the Goldene Globe and from a directorial standpoint directing a film like Gravity is certainly more technically difficult. I wouldn't count out American Hustle for best picture just yet. It did win the SAG ensemble award.

Jan 26 - 12:01 PM

Mick Travis

Just saw AMERICAN HUSTLE and it was 2 hours of actors playing dress up over a so-the-hell-what story. Hope it doesn't win anything, and this is coming from someone who loved Russell's SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK.

Jan 26 - 04:22 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

See Mick Travis sounds like all the critics I listen too. How is this getting so much recognition when all the "experts" on film are so "meh" about it!?!?!?!?

Jan 26 - 09:25 PM

Mick Travis

Exactly! I didn't hate it, in fact it's almost worth the price of admission for Lawrence alone. Just nothing Oscar worthy about it.

Jan 27 - 06:25 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I enjoyed American Hustle much more than Silver Linings Playbook, despite featuring less Jennifer Lawrence. The SLP script is pretty crap.

Jan 26 - 09:56 PM

Mick Travis

Can you at least agree with me that JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA deserves the Make-up & Hairstyling Oscar?

Jan 27 - 06:26 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I want to see it win. Just 'cause. The Academy should be able to appreciate the fidelity of detail to the old man balls.

Jan 27 - 12:41 PM

Stefan N

I disagree completely: I strongly disliked Silver Linings Playbook and find American Hustle one of the best films of all time!

Jan 27 - 08:49 AM

A cookie for you :)

Jan 27 - 10:20 AM

Janson Jinnistan

All time. O. K. It's knocking at the door of my top five this year, but let's not get carried away.

Jan 27 - 12:42 PM

Stefan N

If the greatest film of all time list spans 200 films (say two or three for each year since the 30's)...

Jan 27 - 05:30 PM

David Platt

David Platt

To put in perspective for you, out of the 20 films that have won the ensemble award at SAG only 9 of those films went on to win Best Picture - the ensemble award usually isn't a good indication.

Jan 26 - 05:52 PM

Stefan N

Whether you like Gravity or not, it is the best directed film of the year. Except for Wolf of Wall Street perhaps...

Jan 26 - 02:02 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Regardless, I think that Cuaron has Best Director locked in.

Jan 26 - 02:52 PM

Jan 27 - 06:25 AM

Jan 26 - 09:56 PM

Jan 27 - 06:26 AM

Jan 27 - 12:41 PM

Darrell Baker

Darrell Baker

I honestly think Her was the best film this year and Joaquin Phoenix should have at least been nominated for Best Actor but 12 Years A Slave will win. Cuaron for Best Director, McConaughey and Blanchett for Acting, Leto and Nyong'o for Supporting Acting. Jennifer Lawrence isn't a bad actress but she's so overrated and American Hustle is the only Best Picture nominee that I couldn't even finish watching. The Fighter was good but again Silver Linings Playbook was ridiculously overrated.

Jan 27 - 02:33 AM

Jan 27 - 10:20 AM

Jan 27 - 11:42 AM

Jan 27 - 05:32 PM

Jan 27 - 12:41 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships