Box Office Guru Wrapup: LEGO Is Tops for Third Week in a Row

Pompeii and 3 Days to Kill open to lackluster numbers.

This weekend, two new Hollywood action offerings were met by yawns from ticket buyers who instead showed up again for the hit animated film The LEGO Movie which became the first toon in nearly four years to spend three consecutive weeks at number one.

The Warner Bros. smash hit dropped only 37% in its third round to an estimated $31.5M and boosted its 17-day cume to a sensational $183.2M. That puts it only one week away from surpassing the $198M of Happy Feet to become the studio's highest-grossing toon ever. The last animated film to top the charts for three straight weekends was Shrek Forever After in the summer of 2010.

Spending has come from families and beyond and its current trajectory puts it on course to reach at least $250M from North America. Overseas this weekend saw an estimated $23.1M in business boosting the overseas take to $92.5M and the global tally to $275.7M with plenty more to come. A sequel is already in development and Warner Bros. has planted its flag on May 26, 2017 for an opening over the Memorial Day holiday weekend.

Kevin Costner settled for the silver as his new action thriller 3 Days to Kill debuted to lackluster numbers in second with an estimated $12.3M from 2,872 locations for a $4,283 average. Relativity's release had weak reviews and played to an older mature crowd as expected. The CinemaScore grade was only a B and the pricey Super Bowl spot did not seem to do too much to spark interest with a broad national crowd.

Another effects-heavy action film was rejected by paying moviegoers as the disaster thriller Pompeii debuted in third place with an estimated $10M from 2,658 theaters for a mild $3,762 average including 3D prices. The PG-13 film from Sony attracted negative reviews and audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the pic a mediocre B grade. Pompeii never took off as consumer interest was just never there. Like so many action films from the past year, this one will have to rely heavily on international demand in order to find any kind of success. An overseas bow in 37 territories brought in an additional $22.8M this weekend.

The studio's other big effects-driven action entry RoboCop fell 57% to an estimated $9.4M raising the 12-day cume to just $43.6M. A final domestic gross of about $65M may be in order for the $100M-budgeted production. Thanks to a solid opening weekend in Brazil, the international total reached $100M putting the current global gross at $143.6M. Sony's historical pic The Monuments Men dropped 48% to an estimated $8.1M taking fifth place with a sum to date of $58.1M.

A Kevin Hart double feature followed. The date movie About Last Night tumbled 71% from its opening weekend to an estimated $7.4M giving Sony $38.2M after ten days. Though steep, the decline was understandable since the film opened last week on Friday Valentine's Day which delivered exceptional numbers. The two other romance-themed films opening on that day also fell in the 70% range this weekend. Look for About to finish with roughly $55M. Universal's cop comedy Ride Along declined by 46% to an estimated $4.7M for Hart and Ice Cube. Cume for 2014's top-grossing live-action film stands at $123.2M.

Enjoying the smallest decline for any film in the top ten, Disney's blockbuster toon Frozen slipped only 30% to an estimated $4.4M pushing the cume to $384.1M which was good enough to allow the snow sisters to join the Top 20 list of all-time domestic blockbusters. The megahit now sits at number 19 passing by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 with the $400M mark a possibility. Frozen's global haul soared to $980.4M which means it will be within striking distance of the billion dollar mark on Oscar night when it may potentially take home two awards.

Sophomore love stories rounded out the top ten with Endless Love falling 68% to an estimated $4.3M and Winter's Tale stumbling 71% to an estimated $2.1M. Universal's teen tale has grossed $20.1M and should end with around $30M. Warner Bros. will not be as lucky as its star-driven drama has collected a wimpy $11.2M and will quickly end its run in the neighborhood of $15M.

The animated film The Wind Rises, Hayao Miyazaki's final film and Japan's top-grossing blockbuster of 2013, debuted in the U.S. market this weekend in limited release grossing an estimated $306,000 from 21 locations for a good $14,571 average. Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, the Disney release will go wider on Friday into about 450 theaters nationwide.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $94.1M which was up 12% from last year when Identity Thief reclaimed number one with $14M; but down 12% from 2012 when Act of Valor took the top spot with $24.5M.

Follow Gitesh on Twitter!

Comments

Channing Tatum

Channing Tatum

Good for The Lego Movie. This is well deserved.

Feb 23 - 04:17 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

Good to see The LEGO Movie have such success. I loved every minute of it. Hopefully the sequel lives up to this one's greatness (the writers they chose already have me concerned, and Lord and Miller better return to direct or I'm out).

Feb 23 - 04:45 PM

Channing Tatum

Channing Tatum

Didn't the writers they hired also make The Internship? If so, then we have good reason to be worried...

Feb 23 - 05:45 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

I think so. They also wrote Mr. Popper's Penguins. Ugh..

Feb 24 - 02:50 PM

C Damien Belyeu

C Damien Belyeu

As you may know already, they're also working on a Ninjago film. I'd rather see that than the actual Lego Movie, but I'll still give the Lego Movie a (small) second chance.

Feb 23 - 05:48 PM

Lego movie > Ninjago

Feb 24 - 01:22 PM

Jacob Holmes

Jacob Holmes

With Frozen hitting $1 billion before it's Japan release, it could possibly dethrone Toy Story 3 as the highest grossing animated movie period. It would be awesome if it won both awards the same day it cracks $1 billion.

Feb 23 - 05:01 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

That would be quite the phenomenon.

Feb 23 - 07:30 PM

Dhruv Gaur

Dhruv Gaur

This film was extremely boring.

Feb 23 - 05:24 PM

Vincent

Max

A comment so nice, it needed to be posted twice!

Feb 23 - 06:17 PM

David Faver

David Faver

I think it's awesome. Of course, I think everything is awesome.

Feb 24 - 06:08 AM

Super Bacon

Yeah, fun is boring. We know.

Feb 24 - 01:23 PM

Dhruv Gaur

Dhruv Gaur

This film was extremely boring.

Feb 23 - 05:25 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

So is your post.

I love irony.

Feb 24 - 09:04 PM

Channing Tatum

Channing Tatum

Feb 23 - 05:45 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

I think so. They also wrote Mr. Popper's Penguins. Ugh..

Feb 24 - 02:50 PM

C Damien Belyeu

C Damien Belyeu

Feb 23 - 05:48 PM

Lego movie > Ninjago

Feb 24 - 01:22 PM

Teddy K.

Ryan Gavetti

I haven't done so, but many of my friends have seen the LEGO Movie more than once. There's still plenty of time for new audiences to be persuaded to see this gem!

Feb 23 - 06:01 PM

Vincent

Max

A comment so nice, it needed to be posted twice!

Feb 23 - 06:17 PM

Vincent

Max

In all seriousness, I found the Lego Movie to be quite overrated. It's message of anti-business men felt a little, er, hypocritical, considering the film was basically advertising Legos. I, also, found the humor to be quite stale a lot of the time, and some jokes literally made me groan. However, some of the nicer things are it's message, though quite hypocritical and it's colorful animation. I don't know, they missed the mark on this one.

Feb 23 - 06:20 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

After seeing it twice, I'll admit it's not the absolute perfection some people are calling it - some of the jokes were duds, and the storyline up till the third act had a very standard structure, not super groundbreaking. I still liked it though for how it took that extra unexpected step at the end (something that to me didn't quite happen with the still-admirable Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen) and for the message of cooperation of strict instruction-followers and more-loose freehanding builders.

Feb 23 - 07:38 PM

Vincent

Max

I too enjoyed the last act, and for the very same reason. However, maybe my inner kid is dead in me cause I didn't have as much of a "fangasm", if you will. I mean, I love Legos, but something just didn't ring. Also, now that I think about it, the story arc did seem to be generic for the first half, I can see where you were going at. Overall, I can see why some would love it, but I personally didn't find quite as much enjoyment. I'd probably give it a low 6, maybe a 5.

Feb 24 - 02:51 AM

Nana Amuah

Nana Amuah

That wasn't the point. The movie was basically about finding middle ground between creativity and order and to not stifle other's creativity. It was only superficially anti-business.

Feb 23 - 07:42 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

I personally laughed harder in this movie than any of the last 10 comedies I've watched combined. I loved The Lego Movie. Funny, inventive, and even touching with a smart message attached. Not much more to ask for. But everyone has their opinions. Not every single person is gonna like the movie.

Feb 23 - 08:39 PM

Vincent

Max

Eh, some jokes rung but most just fell flat for me.

Feb 24 - 02:47 AM

SecondBest

This Guy

That's probably because you have a more sophisticated sense of humor than us.

Feb 24 - 10:22 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Krogan are awesome.

Feb 26 - 03:27 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

That would be quite the phenomenon.

Feb 23 - 07:30 PM

Feb 23 - 07:38 PM

Vincent

Max

Feb 24 - 02:51 AM

Nana Amuah

Nana Amuah

Feb 23 - 07:42 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Feb 23 - 08:39 PM

Vincent

Max

Eh, some jokes rung but most just fell flat for me.

Feb 24 - 02:47 AM

SecondBest

This Guy

That's probably because you have a more sophisticated sense of humor than us.

Feb 24 - 10:22 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Krogan are awesome.

Feb 26 - 03:27 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Nice to see Lego on top again; also nice to see Frozen finally surpassed Despicable Me 2's worldwide gross, it deserved to.

Feb 23 - 11:34 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

... Okay, after posting that I feel like I may have been a bit off - I have seen DM2 a number of times and while I didn't laugh constantly I was still entertained throughout - and they did follow up the original by having El Macho try to coax Gru back to villainy, as well as Dr. Nefario's loyalty being tested - I dunno, maybe it was better than I've given it credit for; and maybe Frozen wasn't extremely unique itself, it was like one critic said "a really good version of what you've seen before", with just a couple tweaks. Perhaps they're not that far apart in quality after all.

Feb 24 - 12:53 AM

Super Bacon

Beautiful speech. I haven't seen Frozen, though.

Feb 24 - 01:26 PM

Feb 24 - 12:53 AM

Super Bacon

Beautiful speech. I haven't seen Frozen, though.

Feb 24 - 01:26 PM

Vincent

Max

Eh, some jokes rung but most just fell flat for me.

Feb 24 - 02:47 AM

SecondBest

This Guy

That's probably because you have a more sophisticated sense of humor than us.

Feb 24 - 10:22 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Krogan are awesome.

Feb 26 - 03:27 PM

Vincent

Max

Feb 24 - 02:51 AM

Mike Crowley

Mike Crowley

It's pleasant to see films that throw a huge curve ball and turn out to be um... well... awesome! Check out the review for it from my little nothing show here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikCbFM1Kklk&feature=youtu.be

Feb 24 - 03:32 AM

That song...

Feb 24 - 01:27 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies