67% The Equalizer Sep 26

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Sweeney Todd in Concert Reviews

June 30, 2008
Very good. In its Shakespearean lack of props, this Sweeney Todd production still manages to make one laugh and gasp in all the right places...unlike the 2007 Burton version.
rbn18nxn
February 25, 2008
I truly cant live without this dvd i watch it once aday. "A little priest" "Kiss me marry me sunday kiss me" "Popping pussies into pies, telling u them pussy cats is quick
lelandp13
December 26, 2007
Was a very good verion of the play done with the SF Symphony Orchestra's. Watching Patti LuPone do the Mrs. Lovett how she should be done was good stuff.
October 17, 2006
The nearly perfect cast more than makes up for the lack of sets and costumes. No Sweeney fan should be without this awesome performance.
May 10, 2007
An incredibly well-cast version of Sondheim's musical. Patti LuPone, who I usually don't like, is absolutely perfect as Mrs. Lovett. George Hearn is also great in his role. The music is amazing, although most of the time it's hardly pretty. The lyrics are fascinating. There's a lot of great dark comedy in here. Overall, quite a treat to watch, especially after the far-more-bland Sunday in the Park With George.
DangelofmusicD
June 14, 2007
a dark musical that is one of the best to see on stage!!!! tons of singing and great effects that will have people scared. Sweeney Todd is about a demon barber of fleet street who with the help of Mrs. Lovett cuts off people's body parts and bakes them in a meat pie...the youngstown playhosue did a great job putting this show on.
tfakp
June 10, 2007
While I prefer the DVD of the actual Broadway show with Angela Lansbury & Len Cariou (not available on this site), the casting is good here too. Sondheim at his best, telling the gruesome, melancholy tale of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
turtle666
May 21, 2007
the 80s angela landsbury is also good, but my favorite soundtrack is from this version, plus the artistic way lack of set and props is covered is interesting on it's own
April 25, 2007
A brilliant dark comedy Soundheim musical with an all star cast. The story centers on Sweeney Todd, a serial killing barber and his unusual arangment with a woman that bakes his victims into meat pies. Look for the movie version of this film in 2008 currently in production, directed by Tim Burton and with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonam Carter in the title roles. Alan Rickman and Christopher Lee are also cast in the film. I hope they can all sing.
dan344
March 12, 2007
You can't beat Sondheim however if you can get the Angela Lansbury filming of the actual show.. GET IT!
ilouvrecapitanjaque
September 12, 2006
read the script for this musical, because this movie will be re-made in 2008. guess who the star is? johnny! (he's singing too.) omfg. not just saying that because of jd, also it is a rockin musical. really dark and good music. i read it before i knew about the movie. p.s. director? tim burton!
January 1, 2009
Since it's a concert, I miss the theatrical use of sets, costumes, lights, and etc. But it has some of the best people who have ever played these characters, and Neil Patrick Harris!