Critics Consensus: 2012 Isn't Quite Earth-Shaking

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got a global catastrophe (2012, starring John Cusack and Chiwetel Ejiofor) and some rock 'n' roll rebellion (Pirate Radio, starring Philip S. Hoffman and Bill Nighy). What do the critics have to say? Nobody goes to a Roland Emmerich picture expecting art or realism; they go for sheer spectacle. On that level, critics say, 2012 largely delivers. However, they also note that if you enjoy character development, witty dialogue, remotely plausible science, and brevity, you're out of luck. It's an understatement to say that the mid-to-late-1960s was a revolutionary period for British rock music, and Pirate Radio is a fond, celebratory comedy about those heady times. Critics say it may not rock quite hard enough, but it's got enough infectious good humor -- and hummable tunes -- to drown out objections. Back to Article

Comments

Costigan

spencer strausbaugh

Wow 2012 rotten, surprising.

Nov 12 - 04:12 PM

Paints Hz Shirt Red

krookedlegs Eagle Tail

The thing that makes me wonder about 2012 is why Emmerich didnt shoot any scenes in imax. After all it would be cool seeing that film on the bigger screen. And Costigan, im in as much shock of it being rotten as your are buddy.

Nov 12 - 04:23 PM

JRW1980

Jeremy W.

Watch the film and you will know why it got a rotten review. The film is pretty bad.

Nov 13 - 04:33 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

going to see Pirate Radio. I like British comedies and love Love Actually and Nottinghill.

Nov 12 - 04:36 PM

Escapefromalcatraz

william thresher

Bummer about Pirate Radio and Uncertainty. Those two were on my radar. I may just say fark-it and hit Pirate Radio anyway. Too much classic rock to miss. Plus they have boats. How can you miss with boats? :)

Nov 12 - 04:50 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Here's hoping "2012" won't...forget it, it will make it's millions.

Nov 12 - 04:54 PM

Seth T.

Seth Thomas

im gonna see 2012, i like apacalyptic movies

Nov 12 - 05:13 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Fantastic Mr. Fox for me.

Nov 12 - 05:54 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

My mother is just plain obsessed with this 2012 end of the world conspiracy. I constantly get my DVR clogged with Nostradamus specials and such 'n' such. She's trying to convince me to see this movie with her, but I told her I would pass.

I really hope that in three years we find out that the world ISN'T going to implode, just so we can have more reason to laugh at this movie.

Nov 12 - 06:37 PM

inactive user

Jared King

That's kind of...sad. And don't take that as a insult or anything, but this whole 2012-is-the-end-of-the-world belief is baseless BS.

Nov 12 - 07:01 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

No, no . . . it IS very sad. Me being a semi-rich sum-a-b****, I can afford to watch "Penn & Teller" on ShoTime. They have proof that the world will NOT be ending in 2012, and if there is anybody in this world we can trust, it's a potty-mouthed magician and his mute assisstant!

And please Anna S., if you're not going to have the decency to just go away, at least change your avatar. Nobody is going to visit your skanky website if Public Enemy #1 is staring them in the face!

Nov 12 - 07:23 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Nov 12 - 07:01 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Nov 12 - 07:23 PM

anna s.

anna smith

********************This is a beautiful woman from New York. Internet is a quite good place to meet friends and even find whatever your need. i am just in the beginning of my career and want to find a rich man, maybe to be my sugar daddy. so i uploaded my hot and even **** photos on %u2605%u2605%u2605S u ga r loves- c o m%u2605%u2605%u2605. under the name Kristen15, maybe you want to check out my photos firstly!!

Nov 12 - 07:04 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Nov 12 - 07:23 PM

Marlon E.

Marlon Elsbree

No surprise 2012 took a G.I. Joe and plunged 50%. Wasn't expecting anymore, though.

Nov 12 - 08:03 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

I'll be seeing 2012. Emmerich makes fun movies. Sure it's over the top and silly but that's what I've come to expect from him, like mindless shooting and explosions in a Michael Bay flick.

I might see The Fantastic Mr. Fox depending on what people say. Seems interesting but I'll wait for some feedback first.

Nov 12 - 08:31 PM

Matthew D.

Matthew Dynda

People defending this film: if it's all about "mindless action", then why is it well over two hours? A typical Hollywood action movie with all beauty and no substance should be an hour and a half, tops. Seeing **** blow up for nearly three hours in an Emmerich film becomes tedious, not visually enthralling. Why does a man spend such a ridiculous amount of dough on a film that won't be remembered for doing anything particularly noteworthy in the future? Like Transformers 2, the film was visually decent, but the editing and tediousness of the whole thing sunk it for me. You can't complain about Hollywood churning out bad movies and then pay seven bucks to encourage more crapfests like this in the future.

Action films can be very entertaining and still feature good, old-fashioned action. Just look at the enduring success of the first Die Hard.

Nov 12 - 08:51 PM

Matthew D.

Matthew Dynda

I'd even use Terminator 2 as an example of visual wizardry complementing the drama of a film, not dominating the entire thing. 2012 is nearly as long as the first Lord of the Rings, and yet it says nothing to remember. I'm sorry, but three hours of explosions and unintentionally comedic characters just doesn't work.

Nov 12 - 08:54 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Preparing for Mr. Fox and I'll wait before calling him fantastic. It must have been a Herculian task for Clooney to consider playing a character who has his peers constantly contemplating him over and over... what an actor ;-)

Nov 12 - 10:36 PM

Gotherx

John Bernie Jaramillo

what so surprising with that?? it's expected isn't it....

Nov 13 - 12:42 AM

The Stunner

Tiago Paulo

were we really expecting a good movie filled with CGI? nowadays? there aren't that many...

Nov 13 - 03:27 AM

Hans M.

Hans Morgenstern

Another mindless blockbuster for the weekend BO haul, I see. Well, I had always planned on skipping it. Independence Day was lame and embarrassing to have seen in the theaters. I've never believed in this director since. This film really feels like an excuse to blow everything up, but mostly I think it preys on humanity%u2019s arrogance that they might be around to see the end of the world. I feel people have this deep-seeded self-interest in the apocalypse that fuels a conceited notion we might be around to see it. I write a bit about it on my blog here: http://indieethos.wordpress.com/, and I welcome you all to check it out and comment. I do enjoy this community a lot, and would be honored to have some of you visit.

The only movie I an interested in seeing is Wes Anderson%u2019s Fantastic Mr. Fox. He has never let me down as a director. I had hoped more for Pirate Radio, but it seemed rote and cheesy, considering the director%u2019s filmography. Still, I%u2019m a big fan of that period and Brit rock, so I might check it out anyhow.

Nov 13 - 05:37 AM

James T.

James Tallman

I'm not surprised that 2012 is getting bad reviews. I mean did anyone actually think it was going to be good considering Roland Emmerich was directing it? Plus I'm sure theres a lot of made up facts in the movie that Hollywood has thrown in there to stir people up. Also from the looks of it, 2012 needs to be shorter. Great CGI does not make a good movie, but apparently Hollywood does not get that.

Nov 13 - 06:16 AM

Kami no Shi

mark fields

@ james T. Actually the science behind 2012 is more than plausible .

Do you think you could do any better ?

Nov 13 - 09:34 AM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!