Critic Review - Boxoffice Magazine

Conservatives have Dinesh D'Souza. Liberals have Michael Moore. We all lose.

August 24, 2012 Full Review Source: Boxoffice Magazine | Comments (88)
Boxoffice Magazine

Comments

Vittorio Villarroel

Vittorio Villarroel

I second that.

Aug 24 - 02:25 PM

Alex Hearn

Alex Hearn

I second you seconding that.
Very well put Mr. Contrino.

Aug 26 - 07:55 AM

Phil Contrino

Phil Contrino

Thanks, Alex and Vittorio.

Aug 26 - 09:38 AM

Alec Whitehouse

Alec Whitehouse

Brilliant quote!

Aug 26 - 08:47 PM

Jonathan Blanton

Jonathan Blanton

Hear hear! I hate these kinds of films.

Aug 28 - 10:45 AM

Terry Madison

Terry Madison

Seems like Phil Contrino didn't think deeply enough about the simplistic fallacy of false equivalency. I'm no fan of Dinesh D'Souza nor Michael Moore, but at least Moore interviews dozens of people on the topics that he films and doesn't offer conspiracy theories. As just one summary example, Moore correctly predicted that the Iraq War would become very unpopular while costing us Americans thousands of more lives and a trillion dollars in treasure, which Bush borrowed from China and kept off the books for the next president (in this case, Obama) to saddle. Moore interviewed dozens of soldiers and their families to bring home the reality of war, not half-baked conspiracies, which D'Souza admits himself are just his "opinions". Something this important should raise the bar to a higher standard and be backed by proof and evidence. Everyone has "opinions", but few people will go the long extra mile for the facts, and that has consistently included D'Souzaa.

Aug 29 - 02:32 AM

Confi D.

Confi D'Ential

The comparison is generous to Moore.
D'Souza comes across as an honest guy with opinions. He clearly separates facts and opinion.
Michael Moore is a con artist who presents falsehoods and opinion as fact.

Aug 31 - 11:51 AM

Jonathan

Jonathan Cumbee

"Blah blah blah, my side is right, your side is wrong." You are delusional.

Sep 2 - 05:40 PM

Christopher Kulik

Seriously, anyone who uses the liberal card is just an idiot conservative in my book. Fuck of all them because they are all fucking nuts; they only see the world as black and white.

Sep 3 - 01:12 PM

Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas

Yep, but the only differnce is that the liberal reviewer gave Sicko and Bowling for Columbine... 93% and 96% reviews.

Aug 24 - 02:58 PM

Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas

Yep, but the only differnce is that the liberal reviewers gave Sicko and Bowling for Columbine... 93% and 96% reviews.

Aug 24 - 02:59 PM

Wolf Larson

Wolf Larson

I agree.

The Left is so audaciously bereft of intellectual honesty that the use of descriptors like 'unsubstantiated' and 'dubious' in their reviews will not pierce the veil of their pathological devotion to ideology. They gushed at the same level of speculative analysis provided by Moore.

Aug 30 - 12:25 PM

dred

Ed Hauptmann

The difference is that D'Souza is a serious documentarian with facts behind his arguments, while Moore is an inveterate liar who omits information or distorts it if it doesn't fit his worldview template. You do realize that Moore actually DID meet Roger Smith....twice....although he forgot to include those TWO meetings in his "documentary "Roger & Me". The man is beneath pondscum, a miserable, intolerant troll.

Aug 24 - 03:58 PM

Eric Basinger

Eric Basinger

u mad.

Aug 27 - 05:03 PM

Denigmatic ..

Denigmatic .

It's fascinating, the groupthink here that willfully is pretending like D'Souza is a serious documentarian when he's every bit the partisan hack that Moore is. But we're getting an influx of rabid Obama haters who will like and defend it just because it happens to agree with their own pre-disposed belief... and we wonder why national politics have become so terrible...

Aug 27 - 06:41 PM

Wolf Larson

Wolf Larson

Could it be related to the prior hatchet jobs against conservatives that were universally praised by the Left?

Naaa

Aug 30 - 12:26 PM

Becky White

Becky White

Yes, but Michael Moore is a serious wack job.. Very people have any respect for him..D'Souza Has much much more authentic talent..convincing

Aug 24 - 05:02 PM

Jim Callahan

Jim Callahan

MM made F911 without once saying "Israel" or "Zionism." It was all subterfuge.

Ha'aretz (Feb. 26, 2001): Sharon believes that Iraq poses more of a threat to regional stability than Iran.

April 2002: Former Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu came to Washington DC and met with US Senators to warn them Saddam was developing nuclear weapons which could be delivered to the US homeland in suitcases or satchels.

June 2002: Ehud Barak, another former Israeli PM, wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post stating the Bush administration should focus on Iraq and the removal of Saddam.

CBSnews.com headline (Aug 16, 2002): "Israel to US: Don't Delay Iraq Attack"

Sept 2002: Benjamin Netanyahu wrote a piece for the Wall Street Journal titled "The Case for Toppling Saddam" which stated "nothing less than dismantling his regime will do."

Iran/Iraq --> Fool Me Once, Shame on You ...

Aug 24 - 05:47 PM

Greg Goetz

Greg Goetz

Except Michael Moore actually has movies made that dispute his work

Aug 24 - 09:10 PM

Kelly Smith

Kelly Smith

Dinesh D'Souza can say things in this movie that no other director could say (for several reasons). Michael Moore is a liberal opportunist with a grudge and almost completely biased in his views.

Aug 24 - 10:36 PM

Devon Hickle

Devon Hickle

And D'Souza is not? Everyone has a bias, do yourself the favour of recognising that.

Aug 28 - 08:56 PM

Christopher Kulik

Man, your picture just reeks of an idiot conservative.

Sep 3 - 01:14 PM

Fortune Owens

Fortune Owens

Why cant Rachel Maddow do a documentary? I would go see that one.

Aug 24 - 11:11 PM

Eric Basinger

Eric Basinger

hell yes.

Aug 27 - 05:04 PM

Joe Figanootz

Joe Figanootz

Spoken like someone that hasn't seen the movie.

Aug 25 - 06:32 AM

Lizzie Bernhart

Lizzie Bernhart

Yes, because not liking the movie means you haven't seen it. Yeesh.

Aug 25 - 06:54 PM

Rick Willoughby

Rick Willoughby

Phil are you kidding? An apples to green peppers comparison? Moore is a college drop out, that could not keep a job married a small potatos movie producer and has made a name for himself with his ridiculous hyperbole. Weak Phil very weak.

Aug 25 - 07:23 AM

Nancy Whitmore

Nancy Whitmore

But would you want to dine with moore or dinesh?

Aug 25 - 09:34 AM

Joe Johnson

Joe Johnson

Extremely bad comparison. Moore is a loud-mouth, hateful liberal who lacks logic and common sense.

Aug 25 - 11:12 AM

Philip Clock

Philip Clock

This is a documentary; Michael Moore is propaganda.

Big difference.

Aug 25 - 12:25 PM

Lizzie Bernhart

Lizzie Bernhart

It is a documentary if you agree with the content. It is propaganda if you disagree with the content.

I barely made it though Capitalism: A Love Story. I don't expect much more from this. However, we'll see what happens when I see it next week. It can't be worse than Twilight.

I know why I'm not voting for Obama. I know why I'm not voting for Romney. I don't need a "documentary" to create spin.

Aug 25 - 06:48 PM

Barbara Swisher

Barbara Swisher

I agree with the content and I am voting for Romney! I didn't need to see this documentary to know that Obama is and never has been a man for this country. I'm black and never voted for him because my gut feeling for this man was evil, the very first time I heard him speak. I go with my feelings and my initial feeling has been proved correct.
Also, if I wanted to live in a socialist country, I would move to the UK, Russia or China. Romney/Ryan 2012!!!

Aug 26 - 08:29 AM

Luke Moran

Luke Moran

Or Canada, or Sweden, or Germany, or Australia... Really, with that definition of "Socialism", you could move to a whole lot of other countries and not be disappointed by their "horrific Socialist practices". The United States? Well, I have my reasons to doubt it will ever even approach such standards, but sure, go on voting with your gut. It's not as if the much of the nation isn't doing so already.

Aug 26 - 12:22 PM

Patti Miller

Patti Miller

Yeah Barbara, you look real black in your photo. Gimme a break. Tired of these paid bloggers posting on here.

Aug 26 - 05:13 PM

Christopher Kulik

Wow, you want to vote for a flip-flopping asshole who has a net worth of over $250 million? Not to say Obama will be better, but you are REALLY STUPID.

Sep 3 - 01:17 PM

Cory Baldridge

Cory Baldridge

You couldn't be more wrong......Michael Moore is cynical and jaded, and deeply bitter of anyone that might dare to have a different view than he. Mr. D'Souza seems to have a humility and fresh intellect that is refreshing.

Aug 25 - 01:39 PM

Lizzie Bernhart

Lizzie Bernhart

And I'm sure a person who likes Michael Moore films and his viewpoint would reverse the names.

See how childish this is? If you like Michael Moore, you're evidently just a brain-dead liberal. If you like D'Souza, you're a brainwashed conservative. If you dislike either film, the other side will accuse you of being closed minded.

And people wonder why the best choices we have are Obama and Romney. That's because idiots who watch these directors demand it. They don't want to see the issues. They want to see division.

Why should I vote for Obama? Why should I vote for Romney? No idea. They're both too busy appealing to you with hyperbole to actually talk. I like Gary Johnson. At least he has a record, some consistency and can talk the issues.

Aug 25 - 06:53 PM

Kathy Ilovemycabin

Kathy Ilovemycabin

So any two people can become equivococal because you say so?

Bonnie & Clyde vs Wyatt Earp?
Mother Theresa vs Ghengis Khan?
Jimmy Stewart vs Jack the Ripper?

You willfully maintain your ignorance.

Michael Moore is an obvious buffoon to anyone with open eyes. Dinesh is thoughtful and genuine.

Aug 25 - 07:50 PM

Seth McWhorter

Seth McWhorter

Have you ever watched Michael Moore's documentaries? The man is as ignorant as anyone I've ever seen. Not only have I seen many of his documentaries, I have also watched a documentary on Michael Moore himself. While all documentaries have bias, Moore goes to the absolute extreme and blatantly lies and trolls to get his points across. Its sickening. I'm not even close to conservative, either. Can't say much about D'Souza, but disliking Michael Moore does not mean disliking liberals. Please don't call people ignorant for having a voice and an opinion. Its rude and pretentious. Get over yourself.

Aug 27 - 05:43 PM

Seth McWhorter

Seth McWhorter

Aug 27 - 05:47 PM

Christopher Kulik

Well said Lizzie, love it!

Sep 3 - 01:18 PM

Misty Westover

Misty Westover

Aug 25 - 04:29 PM

Brad Hamilton

Brad Hamilton

You forgot to mention that Dinesh D'Souza uses facts while Moore simply states,and often shouts, his uncredited thoughts.

Aug 25 - 05:07 PM

Lizzie Bernhart

Lizzie Bernhart

Actually, Moore does use facts. However, he often spins the facts to his liking or presents them in a way to make a person form an opinion in a certain way.

All documentaries are that way.

Aug 25 - 06:57 PM

Barbara Swisher

Barbara Swisher

Brad, as Rome (U.S.)burns, Lizzie will still be pontificating.

Aug 26 - 08:35 AM

Lynn Perrizo

Lynn Perrizo

Good one Barbara! Lizzie hasn't a clue. She may not have another chance to vote so hope she will give this election more thought than she seems to have up to this point. Facts are facts dear Lizzie. Wake up.

Aug 26 - 02:41 PM

Christopher Kulik

Lynn, you just proved you are a moron by assuming your vote actually counts. Mike Judge was right: we do live in an idiocracy.

Welcome to Costco, I love you!

Sep 3 - 01:20 PM

Barbara Swisher

Barbara Swisher

Michael Moore's is a hypercrite's rant, he is a multi-millionaire and trying to act as a poor put upon liberal.

Dinesh D'Souza's documentary is based upon fact. Everything in this documentary can be proven and has been proven. The facts speak for themselves. If a person eyes are wide open and the kool-aid has worn off. A look at ones own personal situation before and after Obama is the best barometer. Plus, D'Souza is unbiased.

Aug 26 - 08:22 AM

Joe Falco

Joe Falco

unbiased? really now....

Aug 27 - 06:19 AM

therereturn

The Rereturn

Did you just say Dinesh D'Souza us unbiased? Because I've read his books. He's about as biased as you get.

Aug 28 - 01:41 PM

Christopher Kulik

Barbara just shut up: take your masturbatory, FOX news bias and just get the hell outta here.

Awww, am I being a liberal asshole? :(

Sep 3 - 01:22 PM

Justin Koenig

Justin Koenig

Was that a movie review? You said nothing about the movie.

Aug 26 - 09:56 AM

Charlotte Jones Hudson

Charlotte Jones Hudson

We must stop the party bashing and LEARN THE FACTS. The closed-mind philosophy is going to be the death of the great country of America. Grow up.

Aug 26 - 11:47 AM

Peggy Thomas

Peggy Thomas

I agree...election season and the whining, name-calling and baiting that goes with it, makes me ill. When will this stop and people see that they are being manipulated and used on both sides. Yuck.

Aug 28 - 12:56 PM